closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: SKX009 or.......

Craftsman

SKX009 or.......

Yes, it is that tell me what watch to buy thread time again.

Firstly, I have small wrists at around 6.25-6.5 inches. Current largest watch is SARB017 45mm lug to lug and that is about my limit. I am after something that is

1. Sporty/diver with a touch of colour for summer
    2. Water resistance of >100m
    3. Date preferred

The SKX009J seems to fit the bill and at around £150 seems a bit of a bargain, but I am worried it may be a touch too big. My alternative was the smaller SKX013 and then dress it up with a colourful NATO strap.

Are there any alternatives for around the same money and same or slightly shorter lug to lug?

Anyone have a pic with SKX009 or 007 with similar sized wrists?

Those little citizen divers are cheap and great value for the money
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Orange?

SKX011J if you want color, plus everything else you want

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by mr_esearch View Post
    Yes, it is that tell me what watch to buy thread time again.

Firstly, I have small wrists at around 6.25-6.5 inches. Current largest watch is SARB017 45mm lug to lug and that is about my limit. I am after something that is

1. Sporty/diver with a touch of colour for summer
    2. Water resistance of >100m
    3. Date preferred

The SKX009J seems to fit the bill and at around £150 seems a bit of a bargain, but I am worried it may be a touch too big. My alternative was the smaller SKX013 and then dress it up with a colourful NATO strap.

Are there any alternatives for around the same money and same or slightly shorter lug to lug?

Anyone have a pic with SKX009 or 007 with similar sized wrists?
    I don't have a picture, but I have skinny wrists and wear an SKX most of the time. The short lug-to-lug distance means it's absolutely fine, though they do sit quite tall - I found replacing the standard bezel with a Murphy bezel helps with this. You might also look at the SKX 013 - 38mm if memory serves.

Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    Those little citizen divers are cheap and great value for the money
    Agreed. Both the NY2300 and NY0040 wear smaller than Seikos, but are just as good IMO.

If your budget stretches, Citizen PMD-2951. I have the black-dial variant. With my 6.5" wrists its perfectly sized for me. Roughly the same lug-to-lug as the SKX but much thinner.

(stolen picture)

Craftsman
    I love my Citizen watches and bought the NY0040. Loved it in all the photos I saw, but didn't like when I actually got it. Definitely worth trying to see it in person before buying.

You won't find the SKX too big, it wears very well on smaller wrists (speaking from experience), and as you allude to, it's great value for money.

PRS18 and some colourful nato's or rubber! You'll have to use your phone for the date though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shropshire, UK, by the grace of God. dougdarter@aol.com
    Quote Originally Posted by MurrayMint View Post
    Agreed. Both the NY2300 and NY0040 wear smaller than Seikos, but are just as good IMO.
    That IS nice. Reminds me of the Seiko Alpiniste. Subtle but smart.

Quote Originally Posted by sean View Post
    You won't find the SKX too big, it wears very well on smaller wrists (speaking from experience), and as you allude to, it's great value for money.
    I have slim wrists at 6 inches and wear a SKX007 and agree it wears very well. Sorry no photos.

Quote Originally Posted by goregasm View Post
    SKX011J if you want color, plus everything else you want
    Good luck finding one of those for £150

SKX009 or.......

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    Good luck finding one of those for £150
    http://www.creationwatches.com/produ...itg1ghbdvs26e5

Granted they're sold out at the mo, but should come back around eventually.. In fact the below looks an option

https://www.venturedirect.co.uk/prod...nt=20194691143
    Last edited by goregasm; 16th June 2016 at 21:00.

http://www.creationwatches.com/produ...itg1ghbdvs26e5

Granted they're sold out at the mo, but should come back around eventually.. In fact the below looks an option

https://www.venturedirect.co.uk/prod...nt=20194691143
    Some reviews of venturedirect.co.uk

https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/www...redirect.co.uk

How about one of Eddies OP?

PRS-3 Diver both still available in Yellow or Orange
    PRS-18Q coupled with a few natos
    PRS-22 (standard or GMT)

Craftsman

How about one of Eddies OP?

PRS-3 Diver both still available in Yellow or Orange
    PRS-18Q coupled with a few natos
    PRS-22 (standard or GMT)
    Yes, saw those and they do tick some boxes and indeed Eddies Speedbird III (or GMT version) is on my list after recommendations from this forum. Whilst having no date (on PRS's) is not a deal breaker for me, the lug to lug height & prices are. From what I am hearing the SKX0xx is about the best option and I will be able to wear it. Heck, even if it doesn't quite fit it looks like I can flip it for about the same as I pay for it.

I think it comes down to a choice of colour between the SKX 009J (£141) or 011J (£126)

009 is probably more versatile with the 011 being more "fun".

The only Citizen I would consider (only as it is cheaper) is the BN0100-26E, but then that is an Eco Drive.

^^^

All good reasoning. And, if you keep it, you can buy different colour bezel inserts for variety.

FWIW though:

The only Citizen I would consider (only as it is cheaper) is the BN0100-26E, but then that is an Eco Drive.
    Forget that if you have small wrists. Its about 51mm lug to lug.

Craftsman
    you could consider looking out for a used/pre-owned Hamilton Khaki King Scuba .40mm and quartz or auto depending on your budget. These were available in a few variations including a white dial with silver bezel;so you could use any bright/coloured strap/rubber/nato.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by silver centurian View Post
    you could consider looking out for a used/pre-owned Hamilton Khaki King Scuba .40mm and quartz or auto depending on your budget. These were available in a few variations including a white dial with silver bezel;so you could use any bright/coloured strap/rubber/nato.
    I hate you guys.......well the wife does.

My eBay notifications are now in the 30's.

Craftsman
    ITEM IN YOUR ORDER QTY PRICE
    SKX009J1 SKX009J SEIKO AUTOMATIC DIVER'S 200M WATCH

Done.

Right, next watch.....

Craftsman

Wrist size is relative...I vote SKX015

I have a 6.75 inch wrist, but the 'visible' part isn't that wide. So, larger watches can look overbearing. Plus, smaller watches are more comfortable IMO. I've owned several 42mm+ Seiko divers, but finally settled on the SKX015. Love it!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanV View Post
    I have a 6.75 inch wrist, but the 'visible' part isn't that wide. So, larger watches can look overbearing. Plus, smaller watches are more comfortable IMO. I've owned several 42mm+ Seiko divers, but finally settled on the SKX015. Love it!

Very nice! The SKX015 was the one I wanted really, reduced size with the pepsi bezel. Unfortunately I have never been able to find one. I procrastinated over the 009 for ages, fingers crossed it will fit ok.

Yes, saw those and they do tick some boxes and indeed Eddies Speedbird III (or GMT version) is on my list after recommendations from this forum. Whilst having no date (on PRS's) is not a deal breaker for me, the lug to lug height & prices are. From what I am hearing the SKX0xx is about the best option and I will be able to wear it. Heck, even if it doesn't quite fit it looks like I can flip it for about the same as I pay for it.

I think it comes down to a choice of colour between the SKX 009J (£141) or 011J (£126)

009 is probably more versatile with the 011 being more "fun".

Can I ask where has stock of the SKX011 for £126 please?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by AAddict View Post
    Can I ask where has stock of the SKX011 for £126 please?
    Not sure on rules, but I have PM'd

Craftsman

Actually a SKX013 with SKX015 bezel insert

Very nice! The SKX015 was the one I wanted really, reduced size with the pepsi bezel. Unfortunately I have never been able to find one. I procrastinated over the 009 for ages, fingers crossed it will fit ok.
    I like new watches, and it's near impossible to find a new SKX015 (i.e. Pepsi bezel). So I bought a new SKX013 from Chronograph.com and sourced a couple of Seiko OEM Pepsi bezels off eBay. Voila, an SKX015.

Not sure on rules, but I have PM'd
    That's two watches within the week ordered and I was supposed to be on a 'no more for 6 months' kinda thing! Oh well, I've been looking for a 011 for ages.

Damn this affliction

Craftsman
    I like new watches, and it's near impossible to find a new SKX015 (i.e. Pepsi bezel). So I bought a new SKX013 from Chronograph.com and sourced a couple of Seiko OEM Pepsi bezels off eBay. Voila, an SKX015.
    Being a noob, which bezel am I looking for? As in give the link to the idiot!

Is it easy to swap out the bezel?

Just in case.....you see...
    Last edited by mr_esearch; 19th June 2016 at 10:09.

Craftsman

Info you requested

Being a noob, which bezel am I looking for? As in give the link to the idiot!

Is it easy to swap out the bezel?

Just in case.....you see...
    The SKX013 is also referred to as 7S26-0030 (it's stamped on the case back). So just search eBay for a 7S26-0030 bezel insert and you'll find plenty. I believe the 4205 midsize diver insert will fit as well. I'm pretty sure they are interchangeable. The one I have fitted is the 4205. I have a spare that's for the 7S26-0030, but I believe they're the same.

Regarding the swap out, I believe it's easy, but that's because my local watchmaker did it in 2 minutes for free. The risk of me screwing it up was not worth trying it myself.

Craftsman
    The SKX013 is also referred to as 7S26-0030 (it's stamped on the case back). So just search eBay for a 7S26-0030 bezel insert and you'll find plenty. I believe the 4205 midsize diver insert will fit as well. I'm pretty sure they are interchangeable. The one I have fitted is the 4205. I have a spare that's for the 7S26-0030, but I believe they're the same.

Regarding the swap out, I believe it's easy, but that's because my local watchmaker did it in 2 minutes for free. The risk of me screwing it up was not worth trying it myself.
    Thanks. I could not see anything on eBay that is OEM, but I will wait for 009 before searching seriously.

Thanks. I could not see anything on eBay that is OEM, but I will wait for 009 before searching seriously.
    The SKX wears pretty small, I hope you'll find it fits perfectly. The smaller case, for me, loses the amazing shape of the SKX with its straight, long looking, narrow lugs.