closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Did anyone else know the current Planet Oceans are mostly being discontinued?

Master

Did anyone else know the current Planet Oceans are mostly being discontinued?

I found this out today, so apologies if it's been stated elsewhere.

The current 42mm orange PO has been discontinued, so only stock remaining in stores is available until it runs out... plenty available I'd guess so nothing to rush out for. Next will be the rest of the 42mm models. They're being replaced with 39mm and 43.5mm models respectively as we've seen at Basel this year. These will start filtering through in July 2016.

I think at some point, the only large models available will be the new ceramics and the current/new Steel/Ti/Sedna chronographs, but I can't remember when that's expected to be in place, sorry! (might be around the beginning of 2017)

The new ceramic GMT models are expected around September/October 2016 I was told. The all-black and red/blue variants will be £7900, and the Black/Sedna model around £10300.

Personally, I always found the 42mm to be very desirable until I wore it, and then found it quite barrel-shaped. I wonder how the 39mm model will fair in this respect. The 45mm is just about manageable on my 6.75" wrist, but the steel model is pretty heavy for sure, so the ceramic could be a great option... I quite like the all-black personally as I'm a sucker for a GMT diver!

Craftsman

Planet Oceans...

Bla Bla bla . Lots of
    Different models short term desire ability and long term forget ability .
    Omega will replace them and everyone will forget what they replaced .
    End.

Blog Entries
    Those prices are eye watering. The last PO I got was bout £2K.

A lot of the new models issued by Omega are not exactly unappealing but issuing newer models in multitude and revamping every year dilutes the appeal and longevity. Unlike Rolex.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by W44NNE View Post
    The new ceramic GMT models are expected around September/October 2016 I was told. The all-black and red/blue variants will be £7900, and the Black/Sedna model around £10300.
    They are asking Rolex money for that watch! They must have a screw(helium escape valve) loose and people who stump up that kind of cash must be raving mad. Has the UK already suffered hyperinflation due to the imminent Brexit or am I missing something here? I suppose you might get a reasonable deal on an old one, perhaps worth buying if you can haggle it down to significantly less than 2k, what with the new one taking over and all that...

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    A lot of the new models issued by Omega are not exactly unappealing but issuing newer models in multitude and revamping every year dilutes the appeal and longevity. Unlike Rolex.
    Well said!

Thanks for the information W44NNE.

I'd always fancied a PO and in fact have bought several of the 2500 movement models in the EJ Sales ... they never materialised though!

The one time I did try on a 42mm PO was because I was comparing it to a SM300, actually found both very comfortable.

Is it this type that is being discontinued? http://www.beaverbrooks.co.uk/000200...n-Mens-Watch/p

The sale watch above is just under 10% off, I was looking at the Good Planet and they had one in my local Beaverbrooks but someone bought it a couple of days ago, whoever it was should have waited as Beaverbrooks tend to offer an extra 10% off in the last few weeks of their sales.

Thanks for the other post pointing out the Beaverbrooks sale, I like the way your link had already sorted the selection from high to low, something I do looking for decent savings off the big ticket items :)

Quote Originally Posted by GrandS View Post
    They are asking Rolex money for that watch!
    Hmmmm, why not? Sure that is who they are competing against for sales?

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    Those prices are eye watering. The last PO I got was bout £2K.
    Agree, the prices are difficult to swallow given not much has changed, the last big bump was the change between the 2500 and 8500 movement which virtually doubled the price.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by christech81 View Post
    Thanks for the information W44NNE.

I'd always fancied a PO and in fact have bought several of the 2500 movement models in the EJ Sales ... they never materialised though!

The one time I did try on a 42mm PO was because I was comparing it to a SM300, actually found both very comfortable.

Is it this type that is being discontinued? http://www.beaverbrooks.co.uk/000200...n-Mens-Watch/p

The sale watch above is just under 10% off, I was looking at the Good Planet and they had one in my local Beaverbrooks but someone bought it a couple of days ago, whoever it was should have waited as Beaverbrooks tend to offer an extra 10% off in the last few weeks of their sales.

Thanks for the other post pointing out the Beaverbrooks sale, I like the way your link had already sorted the selection from high to low, something I do looking for decent savings off the big ticket items :)
    Lol yep I always sort that way :-D

Same as that linked watch, or this one as well: http://www.iconicwatches.co.uk/omega...21-01-002.html

They'll be available for ages, and perhaps there'll be clearance prices as the new models come in, but they've never particularly done well used on SC. I think one sold recently with the ceramic bezel for around £2150 on here. They are great watches though but I guess not as iconic as the Submariner etc which holds its value better overall.

Thanks W44NNE, I fancy one getting one these, buying new at discount would be nice but then I also fancy the outgoing Black Bay Black, which I can't see ever being discounted.

I'll see how I feel when Beaverbrooks add the extra 10% to sale items as it should make it cheaper than the price from Iconic; especially as I'd prefer to pay with credit card.

The link to the Iconic web site has a nice wooden box for the PO, I knew the Good Planet had that type of box, didn't realise the other models had an upgrade in packaging too.

Master
    whoever it was should have waited as Beaverbrooks tend to offer an extra 10% off in the last few weeks of their sales.
    When does the sale end? Would that extra 10% apply to all items?

I have this on my wishlist (http://www.beaverbrooks.co.uk/000123...n-Mens-Watch/p). Another 10% off and I'd be very tempted.

How much does an Omega bracelet cost if I decide to get one for it?

Quote Originally Posted by asteclaru View Post
    When does the sale end? Would that extra 10% apply to all items?

I have this on my wishlist (http://www.beaverbrooks.co.uk/000123...n-Mens-Watch/p). Another 10% off and I'd be very tempted.

How much does an Omega bracelet cost if I decide to get one for it?
    Nice watch, I think I prefer the more subtle PO colours but have a soft spot for the Good Planet, no idea what an entire bracelet would cost but it won't be cheap.

In the past Beaverbrooks have applied an extra 10% discount to the items in the sale, I'd think that would be towards the end of the month.

Master
    I suspect the 39.5mm will suit me better than the current 42mm but would be interested to know the thickness of the former.

Craftsman
    The orange version won't be missed.

Quote Originally Posted by JeremyO View Post
    I suspect the 39.5mm will suit me better than the current 42mm but would be interested to know the thickness of the former.
    I thought the 39mm one was just n gold

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedie View Post
    Not sure that's the common view

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    bought my 42 in 2010 for £1900. Complete joke at those prices!

Craftsman
    It will? Can't beat a bit of orange. You can't generalise because you don't like it

Banned
    Hmmmm, why not? Sure that is who they are competing against for sales?
    Hmmm. I guess they are, or at least trying to. In my eyes Rolex are a cut above Omega.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmer42 View Post
    Not sure that's the common view

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulSim View Post
    It will? Can't beat a bit of orange. You can't generalise because you don't like it
    I prefer the blue face GMT version, but there is something about the orange PO I quite like.

Craftsman
    All the PO has is the interesting colours and the Orange one was the winner of the lot. £1900 from SC 3 years ago was mine. Got a year before moving it on. Those prices below are laughable

Master
    Another here for the orange, would be very happy to have one, even on the orange strap.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by CVByrne View Post
    All the PO has is the interesting colours...
    I'm not sure this is fair...

I think when they introduced them, they were a totally new watch from Omega that had both great design elements form the past combined with a modern look: they were very different from the previous seamasters (the bond), they took what people liked in the 2254 seamaster (which they discontinued), combined it with the seamaster 300 look and created a great looking watch. Something that was truely inovative, from Omega. Also I had not seen a watch with orange on it, on the high street, when Omeage first did these. And the next liquid metal ones looked great.

However, the 45 is too big and those with the 8500 movement are too thick for my liking. And they were always a bit top heavy.

Hopefully the newer models aren't quite as thick.
    It's just a matter of time...

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Hopefully the newer models aren't quite as thick.
    They are thinner but only by around 1mm I think I remember reading somewhere.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomaitch View Post
    Bla Bla bla . Lots of
    Different models short term desire ability and long term forget ability .
    Omega will replace them and everyone will forget what they replaced .
    End.
    Not a fan then.....

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by W44NNE View Post
    I found this out today, so apologies if it's been stated elsewhere.

The current 42mm orange PO has been discontinued, so only stock remaining in stores is available until it runs out... plenty available I'd guess so nothing to rush out for. Next will be the rest of the 42mm models. They're being replaced with 39mm and 43.5mm models respectively as we've seen at Basel this year. These will start filtering through in July 2016.

I think at some point, the only large models available will be the new ceramics and the current/new Steel/Ti/Sedna chronographs, but I can't remember when that's expected to be in place, sorry! (might be around the beginning of 2017)

Personally, I always found the 42mm to be very desirable until I wore it, and then found it quite barrel-shaped. I wonder how the 39mm model will fair in this respect. The 45mm is just about manageable on my 6.75" wrist, but the steel model is pretty heavy for sure, so the ceramic could be a great option... I quite like the all-black personally as I'm a sucker for a GMT diver!
    Great watch but too many variants too often released have affected the desirability. I feel you consider getting one but then hold back cos who wants to spend a bundle of cash to have it superseded overnight or another comes out you prefer.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulSim View Post
    Yes he can, I do it all the time.

I'm curious to see what the smaller 39mm version will look like. Hopefully it won't be too thick, if it is it won't look right.

Much as I like smaller watches I'm surprised they've opted for this size. A bit big for the ladies but a tad small by modern standards for a gents.

Prices will be silly, in line with Omega's aspirations.

Paul

Banned
    The prices mentioned of £7600 are for the ceramic cased models I think. The 43.5mm steel case on rubber strap will retail at around £4330, so an increase of around 10%. But considering some people manage a 30% discount on Omega they should be knocking around for £3k after the excitement of the "latest and greatest" settles down. I don't know prices of the steel bracelet version or the GMT, but if you figure 10% across the board the steel bracelet version would be £4400 and the GMT £5430.
    Seeing as I've just aquired the GMT Goodplanet I'd like to think the used market would increase a little as well 😀