closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why do we (the royal "we") not like the Rolex Yacht-Master?

Craftsman
    Interesting timing of this thread as my Blue Dial YM just arrived today :)

Personally I love blue dials, so when I tried on the Blue YM I was sold on it. It also wears smaller and is more comfortable for me than a SD or ExpII

It also doesn't suffer from the "Look I have a Rolex" problem, which means a Sub or the "expensive" Rolex which is the Daytona. The amount of those 2 watches I see around work puts me off both of them.

So for me the interesting models are ones like the Explorer, Exp II and YM as they are less common.
    Last edited by CVByrne; 5th July 2016 at 15:16.

I think it's the bezel with the raised numerals that makes it more 'in your face' than a sub
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by bigfish View Post
    Each to their own, like the blue faced dial, but shouts Tag at me when I look at them (not that's a bad thing )
    I'd say that was a very bad thing :)

On the wrist, there isn't even a passing resemblance; quality of the casing and dial isn't comparable.

Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    I think it's the bezel with the raised numerals that makes it more 'in your face' than a sub
    When the bezel is in good nick, they platinum really takes a good polish. On the wrost though, when you see it in the mirror, it's pretty low key I think for a bracelet watch. The Sub/GMT bezel has such a contrast with the case.

I believe it was the first modern use of the maxi dial; the original LV then followed suit.

It actually makes it far more legible than white on silver should be.
    Last edited by DB9yeti; 5th July 2016 at 15:28.

Quote Originally Posted by DB9yeti View Post
    I believe it was the first modern use of the maxi dial; the original LV then followed suit.

It actually makes it far more legible than white on silver should be.
    I far prefer it to the sub. It looks much less derivative or more precisely, generic
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    Yeah, it can come across like that on the macro pictures, but in reality a sliver on silver watch with matching same colour bezel actually makes it blend in more due to the majority of the bezel being blasted and not all shiny with black to sliver contrast like the Sub. And as mentioned before the case is a more slender wrist hugging design compared to the modern square Sub case.
    Last edited by nunya; 5th July 2016 at 15:32.

Master
    Speaking personally, I rather like the Yachtmaster. But then I have been around the block a few times with the other sports models over the years so it is possibly the fact that it is different.

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth-W View Post
    That 2-tone is really nice

Everose and black bezel, very nice indeed. As much as I fancy a gold watch, a gold bracelet would just be too much, so for me the rose gold on strap is gorgeous.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Neilw3030 View Post
    Everose and black bezel, very nice indeed. As much as I fancy a gold watch, a gold bracelet would just be too much, so for me the rose gold on strap is gorgeous.
    It is a lovely watch, as its everose gold with the ceramic black bezel and black Oysterflex strap it's not as blingy as you'd might think.

Tried one on at a Rolex event a while back when it was newly released. Really wanted one, looked good on, but unfortunately for me I couldn't get on with the strap, just too catchy against the skin and pulls on the wrist hairs. Not uncomfortable, just annoying and not something I was prepared to live with. On a quality leather strap it would be a real winner for me.

Anyway, it's still a good looker imo

Master
    To answer the OP, I think the Royal we do like the Rolex Yachtmaster, in its many guises

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gareth-W View Post
    Love it. This is the new root-beer, maybe. Hope they bring out some more dial options and a Rolesor version next year, to replace the 16623.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by robertb View Post
    Nailed it mate - I love these blue dialled YM's and they are simply gorgeous in the flesh. I have tried one on around 5/6 times but it's just a little too expensive to go and buy for most . . . If these were around the same money as the Subs I am sure they would fly out the door!!

I just picked up a BNLR and am now considering changing it for one of these while it's still sat with all its stickers on!!!
    Thats a stunner!!!

Master
    It was Jocke's photos sold the Y-M to me ...

ROLEX YACHT-MASTER REF 16622 The reference 16622 YachtMaster is made in SS and Platinum is just a little different and a unique Rolex watch. It looks a little different than a diver watch and itīs a little big to call dress watch. In my opinion you can use it to both. It have the TripLock crown who is good enough down to 1220 meters but because the YachtMaster is not a diver watch itīs only rated to 100 meters. The TripLock crown get a nicer balance and itīs easier to handle than the TvinLock crown when the watch have crown guards. The crown guards have a more rounded shape than the Submariner. YachtMaster was the first Rolex with the big indexīs, later called MaxiDial at the Submariner with green bezel insert. The dial is made of Platinum and the YachtMaster is written in red. YachtMaster even have a little bigger hands than the other Rolexīs except the Submariner with MaxiDial. The red second hand just stand out in a nice way. The bezel and the insert is made in Platinum with raised mirror polished numbers. YachtMaster have SEL (solid end links) and the center links are mirror polished. The center links are solid and not hollow like they use to be, so that means the bracelet now are just so good as a Invicta bracelet. LOL The clasp is a little different too, the raised crown is at the secure lock and not at the clasp like it use to be. The YachtMaster even have a unique case with a more curved lugs than the other Rolex case. In my opinion this looks really nice and give the case a better balance. The backside of the lugs looks different too, notice the end of the lug. The SuperLuminova do a great work as it use to do. Inside the watch it looks just like it use to do, cal 3135 not looks like a Patek but it will serve you for many years. This watch is awesome in my opinion and it looks better in the real world because itīs hard to get it justice with a camera. Now itīs time to put a Daytona clasp to my Yacht-Master. Here is the parts. And the extra micro adjustment link. Mmmm nice. Ok we open it up and take a look. The solid part who donīt looks like a regular clasp. And the extra springbar who secure the extra lock. Ok I have to pull off the orginal clasp at the Yacht-Master so we can compare then side by side. Then I have to put it on and I have to pull off a link at the bracelet and put it at the other side to get the clasp in the center of the bracelet. From the start the removable links at the bracelet only is at one side. Here is the result. The secure lock feels real smooth and it looks real nice and clean when itīs closed. Check out a deeper dive in the watch, just click at the link below.Inside the YACHT-MASTER

but I prefer the non-Daytona clasp.

I liked Jocke's date wheel mod:

Craftsman
    Love Hate so far with my new YM. Love the look, love the blue face. Hate the fact the bezel is made of butter, already got a mark on it from just the wind I assume

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by CVByrne View Post
    Love Hate so far with my new YM. Love the look, love the blue face. Hate the fact the bezel is made of butter, already got a mark on it from just the wind I assume
    At least the crystal is raised. Going out for dinner with mine tonight assuming it will pick up a mark!