closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why do we (the royal "we") not like the Rolex Yacht-Master?

Question Why do we (the royal "we") not like the Rolex Yacht-Master?

Ok, I've never really cared for the YM in any version offered and not seen their appeal at all. Add to that the horrific resale values and the fact the bezel is so susceptible to marks that will take a lot of effort to remove and consequently it is consistently seen as one of the "lesser" (for want of a better phrase) Rolex professional watches........so why is it that I really, really like the new Basel release Rolesor version?!

https://www.rolex.com/watches/baselw...6621-0001.html

Having tried it one recently I sort of fell in love with it but everything in me says "no, step away from the kool aid"

I currently have a Rose gold "gap" in my collection and feel the YM could fit well if I don't drop the larger coin on a Daytona 116515LN or Skydweller 326135 would the YM make a decent buy at the right price?

Master
    It is the Timberland boot with the kitten heel, a tool watch with dress watch detail.

It's your money so buy it if you love it (the b4stard child does look good, pristine in pictures or a shop display), but it is this confused product placement to which I attribute any problem.

What does it do that a Submariner did not already do better, apart from offer some different dial colours?

Members of the Yachtmaster fan club should be aware that over-excitement alone can see the bezel spontaneously marked, so energetic bashing of the keyboard in response may well prove expensive.

Haywood

I suppose for me it's a bit like Panerai, personally I am not a fan of the brand I find it confused and a little pointless. A watch that has its origins with military diving that doesn't look fit for being a tool watch or swimming/diving.

I guess people will see the YM in the same light, personally I love it and as for resale buy pre-owned the world would be a very boring place if we all liked the same things.

Disclaimer

This is not an attack directed at Panerai it's just my personal opinion that while some people love them I can't bond with them. Much the same as some folk with the YM.

Master
    There is no such thing as a Rolex 'tool' watch. That's another bit of myth making. They all cost far too much to be a 'tool'. A tool watch would be a basic Seiko. In that sense a gold Submariner makes no more, or no less, 'sense' than any other choice. Same with a Yachtmaster or GMT. And what sort of 'tool' requires a two-tone finish, or green dial?
    These days , Rolex is a lifestyle accessory; nothing wrong with that. Most of us enjoy them. But let's not pretend they are bought 'to do a job'. They aren't. That's just as true for a basic stainless steel version as a platinum one.
    We'll leave the diamond encrusted versions out of this debate....
    Last edited by paskinner; 11th June 2016 at 03:07.

Banned
    Talking about tools...

I really like that Yachtmaster, have had a yearning for one for quite awhile now. I'm not particularly precious about my watches, just careful, but if I had that even more so, although that would not affect my enjoyment from wearing it.
    As for the tool watch thing, I see most watches as jewellery that tell the time, a tool watch in my opinion would be a g shock and the like, even though a sub is tough I would rather not treat it to hard work and/or rough conditions.

I've always thought it was one of the best looking Rolex models. The dial really is beautiful. The used prices make them a bargain (for Rolex), yes they mark pretty easily but as I spend most of my time in offices so not really a problem, when I'm doing DIY I get the gshock out.

Shropshire, UK, by the grace of God. dougdarter@aol.com
    I like the Yachtmaster too, though I have never owned one, preferring the Submariner models. I think it is a niche market watch, which sells well enough to the buyer who wants one, which I why, I guess, it's still in the range, and why Rolex have never bothered changing i's basic design.

Image seems to me to be superyacht owner, south of France villa, Yachtmaster owner. I don't think I could pull it off.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    There is no such thing as a Rolex 'tool' watch. That's another bit of myth making. They all cost far too much to be a 'tool'. A tool watch would be a basic Seiko. In that sense a gold Submariner makes no more, or no less, 'sense' than any other choice. Same with a Yachtmaster or GMT. And what sort of 'tool' requires a two-tone finish, or green dial?
    These days , Rolex is a lifestyle accessory; nothing wrong with that. Most of us enjoy them. But let's not pretend they are bought 'to do a job'. They aren't. That's just as true for a basic stainless steel version as a platinum one.
    If you could possibly be kind enough not to tar everyone with your brush that would be lovely.

OP - I don't like the two tone version but last years RG black bezel variant and the blue dial SS ones are very attractive imo. This Royal we doesn't dislike the YM at all. (But I do find the II too busy for my tastes)

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Gareth-W View Post
    Ok, I've never really cared for the YM in any version offered and not seen their appeal at all. Add to that the horrific resale values and the fact the bezel is so susceptible to marks that will take a lot of effort to remove and consequently it is consistently seen as one of the "lesser" (for want of a better phrase) Rolex professional watches........so why is it that I really, really like the new Basel release Rolesor version?!

https://www.rolex.com/watches/baselw...6621-0001.html

Having tried it one recently I sort of fell in love with it but everything in me says "no, step away from the kool aid"

I currently have a Rose gold "gap" in my collection and feel the YM could fit well if I don't drop the larger coin on a Daytona 116515LN or Skydweller 326135 would the YM make a decent buy at the right price?
    Why do you worry what anybody else thinks........

It looks like a washed out Submariner

I like the rose gold and black ceramic one.

In the same way the Explorer II is considered an also-ran alongside the GMT, the YM is doomed to live in the shadow of the Sub.

It sure is not as popular as the Sub but it has its followers including myself.
    One reason may be the precious metals or two tone.
    YM II on the other hand is more marmite. On this forum, apart from Burnsey and myself I can't think of any other fans.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    On this forum, apart from Burnsey and myself I can't think of any other fans.
    I made the mistake of PX’ing my YMII when I bought the Sky-Dweller - something I will be rectifying very soon.

I had the original YM and my wife the midsize version. One of the comfiest modern Rolex.

The introduction of the blue dial worked, but imho, the rose gold is a sway away from what worked well. Both the lack of bracelet and price is a killer to many original fans.

I have the original Pt maxi-dial YM, sold it and got it back via a few owners on here and a sevice.

It's a very smart watch, suited to all occasions - think of it as larger, more sporty Date Just / Turn-O-Graph and you're closer to the truth than comparing it to a Submariner or A.N. Other 'tool' watch.

PCLs and the Pt dial make it a luxury watch rather than a luxury watch masquerading as a tool watch like the Sub.

Master
    I quite like them, but then I'm never seem to be in step with WIS fashions. But definitely NOT in the pinky colour on the Rolex website!

Master
    Isn't there?
    So what about COMEX submariner, submariner-date, sea dweller
    Or the GMT-Master originally for PAN-AM pilots

Master
    Who's this we?
    I like the Yacht Master, Pt bezel and dial together with the red seconds hand, lovely.
    Wish I'd kept mine, and the bezel doesn't mark as easily as some say. Besides which it can be refinished at service time, so no worries there

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I'm not entirely convinced it can be finished WELL at service though. Which has always knocked me off buying one.

Quote Originally Posted by nunya View Post
    Isn't there?
    All a long time in the past, Skinner is talking about today and I agree with him.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I don't.

There is nothing like a 'tool watch'. There are only tools and plenty of them on the forum.
    In this day and age, we hardly buy a watch to do a job. They don't fly the plane or drive our cars or make a non diver into one. Having said that any watch can be worn while doing any job. There is not a separate watc for gardening, another one for working on your car and another one for doing the dishes. It is all in the mind and all very individual.
    Last edited by RAJEN; 11th June 2016 at 13:59.

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    I'm not entirely convinced it can be finished WELL at service though. Which has always knocked me off buying one.
    RSC don't refinish them, they swap them out as a rule AFAIK. Watchfinder do though; they are sandblasted and then the top skimmed off and polished as per RSC standards though.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Mmm. And in some cases they're polished to look like the arse end of lucifer.

One point where the "it's just a posh sub" argument falls down is that the case shape is different it is more curvy and the lugs shape around the wrist more.

Personally I like the YM - I prefer the Pt bezel versions to the Gold/rubber strap version. I tried one of those on last year and although the rubber strap is well executed it did not feel "premium" enough for my taste

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    Mmm. And in some cases they're polished to look like the arse end of lucifer.
    Yeah, anyone can polish, few can sandblast!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DB9yeti View Post
    RSC don't refinish them, they swap them out as a rule AFAIK. Watchfinder do though; they are sandblasted and then the top skimmed off and polished as per RSC standards though.
    No, RSC can refinish them, they sorted mine out when I over polished the bezel and made the blasted part smooth between the triangle and 10 minute marker

No, RSC can refinish them, they sorted mine out when I over polished the bezel and made the blasted part smooth between the triangle and 10 minute marker
    Yeah they can, but my info is that they generally don't. Easier and more time efficient to just pop it off, new one on and either melt down or refinish later. You wouldn't get many refiinishes on one of the those bezels, two max?

Agreed.

Isn't there?
    This is 2016.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I have the original Pt maxi-dial YM, sold it and got it back via a few owners on here and a sevice.

It's a very smart watch, suited to all occasions - think of it as larger, more sporty Date Just / Turn-O-Graph and you're closer to the truth than comparing it to a Submariner or A.N. Other 'tool' watch.

PCLs and the Pt dial make it a luxury watch rather than a luxury watch masquerading as a tool watch like the Sub.
    You've nailed why I like the thought of the YM - I like a timing bezel but don't want an outright dive watch. I tried a few T-o-G in shops and was disappointed with how easily the bezel turned. I need to get a YM to see whether it fills the "smart looking watch with a timing bezel" brief as well as I hope.

I am not the most delicate with my watches, however if the bezel can be refinished well every 5 years then I'll be happy. There was one in SC recently where it had been sandblasted to Hell, that certainly put me off.

Master
    I personally like YM's, the blue dialed one in particular.

I completely agree with all of the above though - Rolex a Tool Watch??

I guess it depends on your personal circumstances and attitude to money, but I suggest that most none watch enthusiasts would howl with laughter at the suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by thenikjones View Post
    There was one in SC recently where it had been sandblasted to Hell, that certainly put me off.
    It's a 60 click bezel with ever such a gentle engaging... Very nice to use.

The SC watch I think had been polished on the blasted parts - big mistake.

Speaking purely as a spectator, I've never felt the slightest twinge of desire for a Sub, either vintage or modern, but yachtmaster, especially the blue dial version, produces lots of intemperate longing.

If a modern Sub gives you tooly thoughts, I can see why the YM might not appeal.

Had the blue dialled one as well; sold it reasonably soon after as it was slightly *too much*. It's beautifully executed but lacks the subtlety of the Pt dialled watch. The blue does always have the maxi-case though which gives it a very modern look.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Agreed.

This is 2016.
    In twenty years when you see your car mechanic working on your car with a battered SubC, you will reflect and think there really is not much difference between the old Sub and SubC in terms of toolishness. For those who regard them as accessories, they are those and those who want to use it as an everything watch ( or a tool watch$, they are those. It is just that the older Subs have been around a much longer time.
    Last edited by RAJEN; 11th June 2016 at 17:06.

it was slightly *too much*
    Perfect for a fantasy

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    In twenty years when you see your car mechanic working on your car with a battered SubC, you will reflect and think there really is not much difference between the old Sub and SubC in terms of foolishness. For those who regard them as accessories, they are those and those who want to use it as an everything watch ( or a tool watch$, they are those. It is just that the older Subs have been around a much longer time.
    That was a Freudian slip, presumably, Raj.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    That was a Freudian slip, presumably, Raj.
    Wow. Many will think it is appropriate. Bloody spellcheck/auto correct:-)
    Last edited by RAJEN; 11th June 2016 at 17:08.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    Nailed it mate - I love these blue dialled YM's and they are simply gorgeous in the flesh. I have tried one on around 5/6 times but it's just a little too expensive to go and buy for most . . . If these were around the same money as the Subs I am sure they would fly out the door!!

I just picked up a BNLR and am now considering changing it for one of these while it's still sat with all its stickers on!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bluetorric View Post
    Why do you worry what anybody else thinks........

I didn't say I was.....but merely asking for some wider views on the YM per se and then the new Basel release model I linked to.

Personally don't "get" the YM but do really like the Everose and Steel one. Last years Everose on the Rubber strap seems to wear very small to my eyes but on a bracelet it works.

I love the one in the link and the blue dial version. I recently got my first Rolex for a birthday, ending up with a new Hulk, but I was very tempted by the prospect of a used blue-dial YM.

Master
    Blog Entries
    It's a 60 click bezel with ever such a gentle engaging... Very nice to use.

The SC watch I think had been polished on the blasted parts - big mistake.
    Thank you, I prefer 60 to 120 click so off I look. I tried too late to buy yours maybe a year ago. If you are thinking of selling again in the future...

A week or so after the polished one was advertised, I saw one in a similar state in a Nottingham pawn broker - it looks worse in the metal. Would RSC replace as part of the service or charge extra, do you know? I am told it is £1000 or so for. New bezel but it would be a replacement. That said it would not be my daily wearer. Decisions decisions.

Great watch. No need to be 'subtle' sitting on yer yacht. At the office though it is a bit 'standy outy'. The royal 'we' should be ignored unless you want to agree with everyone else rather Than getting the watch you want sometimes

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    Speaking purely as a spectator, I've never felt the slightest twinge of desire for a Sub, either vintage or modern, but yachtmaster, especially the blue dial version, produces lots of intemperate longing.

If a modern Sub gives you tooly thoughts, I can see why the YM might not appeal.
    I have one of these arriving on Saturday and couldn't be more excited! It was absolutely lovely when I tried it on, and Iconic have some decent deals on them at the moment - not a significant amount more than a BLNR or Hulk would be new.

Master
    Yeah they can, but my info is that they generally don't. Easier and more time efficient to just pop it off, new one on and either melt down or refinish later. You wouldn't get many refiinishes on one of the those bezels, two max?
    I think I was lucky with the one refinish tbh.
    I was quoted a silly amount (don't remember how much now) for full service and replacement, or full service and best endeavours repair, I chose the latter, I'm glad I did too, the watch came back like new, no sign of my poor handywork and all original.

Wish I'd kept it, damn this flipperitis

I love the YM, I think the issue is that it is seen as a little brash compared to the sub
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    I love the YM, I think the issue is that it is seen as a little brash compared to the sub
    I suppose so, but I've always found in the Pt dialled version, as it's 'all one colour' it is less stand out-ish that a black on SS Sub, the case profile is thinner and has a more curved 'elegant' case (top down) than the the new Sub squarer case design especially in the lug design.

Well, IMO anyway

A level of (relative) elegance the Sub and GMT simply don't and can't possess...

Craftsman
    Each to their own, like the blue faced dial, but shouts Tag at me when I look at them (not that's a bad thing )