closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Patek 5524G Issues

Patek 5524G Issues

Well I was expecting to type a review of my wonderful 5524G 001 unfortunately I have had a number of issues with it and I have returned it to Patek.

The issue was the fact that I wear the watch on my right hand even though I am right handed, during the day the lugs that were used to change the second hour hand would become unlocked and somehow I was able to adjust these without my knowledge. This made the bold white hand move either forward or backwards, I was an hour early for a meeting one day due to it. The real concern for me was the fact that when I had accidentally unlocked the lugs the watch was not waterproof although it was designed as a 60m water resistant watch.

Basically I believe that Patek have inadvertently made a watch that can only be worn by left handlers and not rights. We have all seen the poles with the number of left handlers out their it is not unusual to wear a watch on the right wrist. They actually tested the watch themselves for a day on someone's right wrist and confirmed that it indeed did exactly as I explained.

I asked my dealer to return it to Patek which they did without an issue, I also had a 5712 1A001 on order I was expecting to have to wait at least 2 / 3 months but Patek sent that through within 3 days which was wonderful service. I will say that the 5524G did feel a far superior watch compared to the 5712. I can honestly say I have been have unhappy and upset as the 5524G was my first ever Patek.

I am extremely fortunate that I can finally afford a Petek and that I have a 5712, I am slowly falling in love with it has not been love at first sight as with the 5524G. But it is growing on me day by day.

I had to test this one to make sure it was also waterproof

⛵️

Craftsman
    its disappointing to hear what's happened with your 5524. Have they given any indication of what they're going to do about it?
    On the other hand I love the 5712, it's a real beauty, congratulations.

By the way be careful the 5712 only has wr 60m rating.

Quote Originally Posted by Cinch View Post
    its disappointing to hear what's happened with your 5524. Have they given any indication of what they're going to do about it?
    On the other hand I love the 5712, it's a real beauty, congratulations.

Patek can't do a thing about it, they originally thought the lugs might be loose but they were fine, it is a design fault with the watch.
    I am starting to love the 5712 though.

⛵️

Journeyman
    Prefer the 5712 to be honest ... Looks great on you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    5712 is beautiful, in its own way, and I much prefer it to the 5524. I don't really love the concept of a Patek pilot watch, as nice a thing as it is.

Craftsman
    Love your 5712 :-) Be happy

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Patek should make sure more of their watches are like that to stop people wearing watches on their right hand.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by legin View Post
    Patek can't do a thing about it, they originally thought the lugs might be loose but they were fine, it is a design fault with the watch.
    I am starting to love the 5712 though.

⛵️
    Will you be getting something else to replace the 5524?
    Last edited by Cinch; 10th June 2016 at 17:56.

Craftsman
    I wish I had problems like this.

I wouldn't mind either, both are stunners.

Master
    I sincerely hope that's your private pool.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder but the 5712 is the better of the two and you can pick up a lovely pilot watch for a lot less than PPs version. And it'll be waterproof and wearable on the wrong wrist if you must :).

Blog Entries
    That 5712 looks much better! Sorry you had issues with your first Patek though.

Martyn

Master
    blessing in disguise imo

I know what you mean with the 5712. My first impression was it was so light it just didn't feel right.

That didn't last long and nearly 10 years later still love it.

Malc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the replies, I realize that there isn't a lot of love for the 5524 on the forum, it's a shame as it is stunning in the "flesh" but yes I am lucky with the 5712.
    It is strange that Patek produce a new watch but only a very few people get to see it let alone ware it.
    I am waiting to find out if there will be a 40th anniversary edition of the 5712, nothing has been confirmed as yet according to the dealer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Cinch View Post

Really?
    I thought it was 120m.
    That's really disappointing.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by EJL25 View Post
    Really?
    I thought it was 120m.
    That's really disappointing.
    5711 is 120m but the 5712 is 60m.

How on earth is this a design fault?

The watch (like most) are primarily designed for wearing on the left wrist.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

What do PP say 60m means? IWC's 60m rating includes a surprising lot, for example

Last edited by Der Amf; 11th June 2016 at 11:48.

Craftsman
    Yeah. I remember reading that water resistant rating are very misleading. So 30m is splash proof. 100m is suitable for swimming. Not sure I would have jumped in the pool with a 60m water resistant 25k PP. Bravo for a real life test :-D

Quote Originally Posted by jeepie View Post
    Yeah. I remember reading that water resistant rating are very misleading. So 30m is splash proof. 100m is suitable for swimming. Not sure I would have jumped in the pool with a 60m water resistant 25k PP. Bravo for a real life test :-D

What is the point of having it if you don't use it

I would love to stand up in court and explain to a judge the my £22k Patek did not survive a 3m deep swimming pool swim although it advertised 60m water resistance and request my money back I know this would not happen as we are talking Patek here.

I will have a bit of a chat with them next year as I have an invite to the factory which should be interesting.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post

In our modern society I think that would be classed as rather discriminatory.

It's a design fault and at some point I will get a senior member of Parek to admit it

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

But things that are designed to lock shouldn't be accidentally unlockable. Particularly when they contribute toward WR.

In our modern society I think that would be classed as rather discriminatory.

It's a design fault and at some point I will get a senior member of Parek to admit it
    Discriminatory?

On that note, I will leave you to wring your hands over your watch with a design fault.

If I remove a bracelet link, my Nautilus is too tight and hurts my wrist. I'm unlikely to squeal at 'Parek' though because I'm incapable of (or unwilling to) wear it as it was designed.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    ^ that's a really poo argument.

Stuff shouldnt come undone if its supposed to lock.. no matter what hand it's on.
    There are plenty of right wrist wearers that wear all sorts of watches without issue because the assumption still remains that it's going to work regardless. As well it should for those kind of prices.

Maybe it just needs to be a little more robust for right wrist wear
    Last edited by learningtofly; 11th June 2016 at 19:53.

I think the issue was that the lugs are tight it is the mechanism that holds them locked is not robust enough. If Patek themselves test the watch and exactly the same thing happened (to my relief) they have a problem.
    The problem can be rectified by simply stating that they can only be sold to left handed watch wearers.

The other question is how many has Patek made or will make during the production run, if it happened to me it will happen to others.

⛵️

Master
    I think the issue was that the lugs are tight it is the mechanism that holds them locked is not robust enough. If Patek themselves test the watch and exactly the same thing happened (to my relief) they have a problem.
    The problem can be rectified by simply stating that they can only be sold to left handed watch wearers.

The other question is how many has Patek made or will make during the production run, if it happened to me it will happen to others.

⛵️

No it wont because most will be kept in the vacuum plastic bag in a safe in Southeast Asia somewhere. Nevermind that, you are confusing lugs with pushers, and it seems weird to me, cant you just screw the pushers down more tightly? I mean its a common construction used on chronographs for decades... how hard could it be?

Quote Originally Posted by 744ER View Post
    No it wont because most will be kept in the vacuum plastic bag in a safe in Southeast Asia somewhere. Nevermind that, you are confusing lugs with pushers, and it seems weird to me, cant you just screw the pushers down more tightly? I mean its a common construction used on chronographs for decades... how hard could it be?
    Patek checked it out and said it was perfect!!!
    Then they tried it on the right wrist and said yep it doesn't work on the right wrist oops!!!!!!!!!

⛵️

Patek checked it out and said it was perfect!!!
    Then they tried it on the right wrist and said yep it doesn't work on the right wrist oops!!!!!!!!!

⛵️
    See earlier posts.

Quote Originally Posted by jeepie View Post

Terms like water proof and water resistant can be ambiguous or misleading but when Swiss manufacturers state a depth rating in meters or pressure rating in bar the watch will have been designed and tested to exceed the stated rating.

I quite like that Patek, i wear my watches on the right but actually on the wrist, not partially on the hand so i don't think i'd have a problem.

So the patented quarter turn pushers turn against the wrist when Ron on the right wrist, and you push the pushers down fully while wearing it? Hmmm I guess I'm lucky I'd only wear one on the left wrist then :)
    It's just a matter of time...

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    So the patented quarter turn pushers turn against the wrist when Ron on the right wrist, and you push the pushers down fully while wearing it? Hmmm I guess I'm lucky I'd only wear one on the left wrist then :)
    Yep, not good I've asked them to turn the face round 180 deg, but I'm not very hopeful

⛵️

Banned
    I presume you were using your toes to turn the lugs of your camera to focus it.

or something.

I am still confused how these screw down/ quarter turn pushers get 'activated ' by the wrist wearing it on the right ( which is actually the wrong ) one.
    May be w$&k a little less forcefully?
    BTW, they cannot be activated together. I believe there is a mechanism to prevent that from happening.
    As some said, these are pushers. Lugs at rhere the strap is.

While trying to research this on the net, came across an interesting link on Google search. The link unfortunately doesn't workas the domain name has expired.
    It is not meant to be a slight to the OP or anyone who wears watch on the right hand. Is just strange

Yep, not good I've asked them to turn the face round 180 deg, but I'm not very hopeful ⛵️
    And no where near rich or famous enough.

And no where near rich or famous enough.
    I might be .................one day

⛵️

5712 is much nicer in my view.

Pretty sure the watch was meant to be worn on both wrists and on that basis tend to agree it's a design fault.

Suspect going forward testing will be carried out on both wrists.