closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Whats my Omega SM worth?

Whats my Omega SM worth?

Thinking about selling my Omega as it doesn't get much wear since i bought my Apple Watch (sacrilege i know) and i have my late Grandfathers 68 Brietling for when i wish to wear something a bit nicer.

It hasn't been serviced so that would need to be factored into the price, it does have all the boxes and papers and they are in good condition (IMO). The bezel has been damaged where i took it on holiday so that will also need to be considered when pricing. The bracelet is sized for my wrist but i do have the 3 links that were removed.

Would i achieve a better price if i had it serviced prior to sale by someone knowledgeable and respected like Walkerwek of this parish?

No PMs offering to buy please as i am not sure if i want to sell (depending on price, the thing i am thinking about buying on sales corner might sell, and if i do sell it will be via sales corner with a donation to the fundraiser) thanks.

I would include this watch winder which works perfectly but does have a cracked lid thanks to our clumsy oafish movers from our last house move.

Thanks for looking,
    Tom

Master
    I have the same watch in black and they're lovely things if a bit chunky. How is the timekeeping, as you say will probably need a service of sorts, but then I'd be very tempted to keep it unless you are looking for something completely different. Factoring in a service, in my humble opinion, I would say value wise you'd be looking between £1250 - £1350 depending on condition assuming it's a full set, which is what it looks like. Someone far better qualified will be along soon no doubt. But as I say, I think you should keep it, great beater watch. What colour are the hands on the subdials they should be red but look orange so they look to have faded somewhat.
    Last edited by Cat7; 23rd April 2016 at 19:53.

Id say around the £1300 Mark.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SSK007 View Post
    Id say around the £1300 Mark.
    How much after a service?

Am not really 100% sure.

Quote Originally Posted by GrandS View Post

Quote Originally Posted by GrandS View Post
    £1,300.00 plus the cost of the service. If the seller pays £300.00 (for example) for a service and then offers the watch with a new two year warranty then the price suddenly jumps to £1,600.00.

Omega don't supply bezel inserts so the bezel replacement will be around £300.

£1300 sounds about right to me as is, up to around £2k with it serviced and new bezel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    £1,300.00 plus the cost of the service. If the seller pays £300.00 (for example) for a service and then offers the watch with a new two year warranty then the price suddenly jumps to £1,600.00.
    My thoughts as well Ken

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post

£1300 sounds about right to me as is, up to around £2k with it serviced and new bezel.

Which means that the OP has something to gain by having the watch serviced and the bezel replaced. He should get the cost of servicing back and the watch should be easier to sell, right?

Craftsman
    My experience is limited to this forum really. But from what I've seen on here these rarely make much more than 1400 to 1500 even when in tip top condition.

It's crazy when you think that the basic seamaster s now go for more than that. And were over 1k cheaper at retail.

I reckon it's worth 1100.

Thanks guys, it always helps to get some other people's opinions.

I think though that the bezels are pretty expensive to replace on these?

About £200 for a bezel .

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by 17bex View Post
    My experience is limited to this forum really. But from what I've seen on here these rarely make much more than 1400 to 1500 even when in tip top condition.

It's crazy when you think that the basic seamaster s now go for more than that. And were over 1k cheaper at retail.

I reckon it's worth 1100.
    Quote Originally Posted by tommyboy View Post
    Thanks guys, it always helps to get some other people's opinions.
    Not sure if anyone is much the wiser...

Apprentice
    I watched a 2009 model end on eBay for just over £1700 and it had had a full service and polish in 2015 so as others say, £1200-£1300 seems about right.

I wonder if STS or Rocco could clean up that bezel. At the very least it would be good if the insert could be put in a new bezel.

I thought these cost a bit more than a standard 2351 to service because of the chronograph?
    "A man of little significance"

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    I wonder if STS or Rocco could clean up that bezel. At the very least it would be good if the insert could be put in a new bezel.

I thought these cost a bit more than a standard 2351 to service because of the chronograph?
    My thought as well, When I was asking for the Bezel from Omega Swatch group. It was around 192£ for 2254 that of course with a new insert as they don't sell it separately.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post

A service & refinish from Swatch or STS will be in the order of £425 due to the chrono movement. As noted above, the bezel insert isn't available separately and has to be purchased in entirety at a cost of around £190 direct from Omega or STS, not too bad when you consider it is more like £300 from Cousins.

I personally think these are a bit too chunky at 16mm deep and a bit of a Spork i.e. a mash up of two styles of watch and it doesn't surprise me that they aren't really that much more valuable than the 3 handers which sit on the wrist a lot nicer at 11mm. My view of value is around £1100 unserviced and maybe £1600 top whack if perfect, I am not sure it is worth changing the bezel tbh, it doesn't look too bad to me.

Master
    I wouldn't bother getting it serviced - it won't add more value than it'll cost so you may as well leave it to the buyer to decide.

Quote Originally Posted by ddm27 View Post
    I wouldn't bother getting it serviced - it won't add more value than it'll cost so you may as well leave it to the buyer to decide.

+1

I am also shocked at how much a Seamaster bezel is, as a Rolex insert is under £40

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by helidoc View Post
    +1

I am also shocked at how much a Seamaster bezel is, as a Rolex insert is under £40
    why? It's the whole bezel mechanism not just the insert.

mines away getting full service…£205 .Love these watches so under valued.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by helidoc View Post
    +1

Maybe a price for the bezel and insert from Rolex and lets see which one is cheaper... Rolex advantage here is that You can purchase just the Insert alone which makes it cheaper.

Sub bezel c/w insert - £172.97 @ 2013 prices

Master
    In this instance the insert looks ok and it's the SS bezel ring which has taken the gouging. It could probably be sorted by laser welding and then turning on a lathe, but that may be as expensive as buying a new one. The option here would be to sell what appears to be a decent insert to recoup some of the outlay.

Are you sure? I got one for a Seamaster non chronograph a few months ago with no problem.

And for what's it's worth, I'd sell it as it is.... Not everyone will care about the bezel.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by James.uk View Post
    Are you sure? I got one for a Seamaster non chronograph a few months ago with no problem.
    Tell us more, genuine inserts have never been available on their own as far as I know for any member of the SMP family, and the non-genuine ones from Cousins or eBay have a poor reputation for colour match and fit.
    Last edited by Padders; 25th April 2016 at 11:48.

Quote Originally Posted by Padders View Post
    Tell us more, genuine inserts have never been available as far as I know for any member of the SMP family, and the non-genuine ones from Cousins or eBay have a poor reputation for colour match and fit.
    +1

I will try and remember where I bought it ... But it looked good and fitted fine.

Quote Originally Posted by James.uk View Post
    I will try and remember where I bought it ... But it looked good and fitted fine.
    Have you been able to recall where you bought the bezel, I am keen to know as are several other members ...

Master
    £1250 would be a reasonable ask.....nice piece, why sell if you are thinking about it.

Quote Originally Posted by W124 View Post
    Have you been able to recall where you bought the bezel, I am keen to know as are several other members ...
    Honestly, no. I'm constantly buying bits and pieces.. Some bits are not even watches I own but think I might buy at some point and I like to have spares handy. Too impatient to look for bits when I need them! It was probably eBay..