closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Changing Rolex brushed centre link to polished - how?

Master

Changing Rolex brushed centre link to polished - how?

I've ordered a SubC half link from Rolex for my BLNR so I now need to get the centre link polished. Is this something I can do myself with Brasso and a cotton bud? Or a Cape Cod cloth? Or do I need a Dremel, and if so what attachment?

Any advice greatly appreciated, or pointers to someone that could do it for me in the Manchester area

You can easily achieve the polished look with some cape cod, however, the brush marks will remain below the surface, looking like fine scratches. You won't notice the brushing from a distance, it will look polished, but close up, the marks are apparent.

Here's some helpful information from Paul, who helped me out previously with the following advice...

Quote Originally Posted by gingerboy
    The process should be as simple as using a Dremel, some polish and lots of patience..... However, I know it won't be that straight forward...

...the process will take hours and hours as you will need to use very fine abrasive paper gradually working to ultra fine etc etc until any visible surface scratches are gone...... Now you can start polishing with the Dremel and polish.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitarfan View Post
    I've ordered a SubC half link from Rolex for my BLNR so I now need to get the centre link polished. Is this something I can do myself with Brasso and a cotton bud? Or a Cape Cod cloth? Or do I need a Dremel, and if so what attachment?

Any advice greatly appreciated, or pointers to someone that could do it for me in the Manchester area
    Hum - can you cancel the order and order a half link with a polished center link instead?

Craftsman
    I'd be happy to polish it for you on my mop if you wanted to send it to me.

BUT you'd have to wait a week or so as I'm away on holiday tomorrow for ten days.

If you want to contact me my number is 07917757695

Dave

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    Hum - can you cancel the order and order a half link with a polished center link instead?
    Nope, because Rolex don't make one I need it for the 6 o'clock side of my watch, all the adjustments in the clasp only affect the 12 o'clock side.

Quote Originally Posted by DJL-73 View Post
    I'd be happy to polish it for you on my mop if you wanted to send it to me.

BUT you'd have to wait a week or so as I'm away on holiday tomorrow for ten days.

If you want to contact me my number is 07917757695

Dave
    Cheers Dave, I may well take you up on that

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    Do they do a polished centre half link?

Edit:- thought not.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitarfan View Post

Cheers Dave, I may well take you up on that
    No worries, if you wanted you could bring it over one Saturday morning and I would do it there and then. Saves any postal issues. I'm only 20 miles or so from Manchester

Master
    Sounds great, thanks! I'll see how it goes when it arrives and I've tried it on the watch.

Rolex do make a polished half link as I researched it a while back, Alpino a member over on TRF supplied the details

Actually have a hunch GF you started it and had an issue with fitment?! Correction just searched over on TRF and yep the one listed above doesn't fit!

Back to original plan you have a PM
    Last edited by pitbull666; 7th June 2016 at 19:42.

Grand Master
    The brushed finish has to be removed prior to any polishung, otherwise it'll be like boring through a mountain with a carrot.

Use 1000grit wet and dry wrapped around a hard rubber pad; this is vital to get a levelling effect, it'll remove the brushing with minimal removal of metal......think about it, it's fairly obvious what's going on but it takes a few moment's thought to visualise. You're taking the tops off the brushed/grained lines. Continue the process using 1200, 1500, 2000 then finally 300 grit. The finer grades are best used wet, wetting with water containing a few drops of washing up liquid. Finally, polish with metal polish; this can be done by hand but a wheel is quicker. Final polishing can be done using a wheel or with Cape Cod. Getting the mirror finish is frustratingly difficult, the right polishing mop and compound helps. Don`t get too precious about it, it'll only get scratched again when it gets worn. The aim is to have all traces of the brushing removed.

This process would take me around 20-30 minutes. It's not rocket science. The WRONG way to do this is to simply uses a polishing wheel without taking the graining out first as I`ve described.

Good luck to whoever does this, I don`t miss this type of work, but it can be quite satisfying the first time you do it. After that it just gets tedious.

Paul

I've got a link here with polished centre. Can't remember where I got it from but assumed it was a GMT. Are you saying that it can't be. Happy to send it to you to try.

Master
    If it's a half link it can't be from a GMTc as Rolex have never made one. Is it for a non-ceramic watch?

pitbull666 in his post has referenced a Yachtmaster half link with the polished centre but it's for the old style bracelet, not the new 97200. It doesn't fit the new ceramic clasp because the diameter of the hole for the link screw (where it attaches to the clasp) is too small. I know because I ordered one last year to try it. Having lost a bit of weight the fit of the watch is bugging me even more so I've decided to get the correct (SubC) link.
    Last edited by Guitarfan; 7th June 2016 at 20:52.