closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mmmm Pizza - uuni pizza oven

Master

Mmmm Pizza - uuni pizza oven

With the talk on another thread about small pizza ovens but not wanting to go with the untested roccbox I decided to order an uuni oven, given they've been out a while and just upgraded to a stone based oven it seemed a no brainer.

So it arrived on Thursday I made some dough to the uuni recipe and some using spelt flour (not for me!). Also made a batch of there NY style pizza sauce.

I think the sauce is a little thin and will reduce more next time, the uuni dough recipe seems good but really gets better if you slow prove in the fridge for two / four days, it seems to get lighter and more airy.

I found the pizzas stick on the peel if left for more than a few minutes despite being well floured, also tried polenta but that sticks too. My next plan is to stretch the dough into pizza bases and sit on cling film so I can move onto the peel make the pizza and get in the oven asap.

The oven gets to cooking temp in around fifteen mins and you need to turn the pizzas every 20-30 secs or you'll end up with carbon.

This was today's effort with salami, mozzarella, onion, mushrooms and chilli.

Plenty more work to go but I recon passable results for my sixth pizza.

Looking good!

Yum Yum, looks lovely...................

Oh wow! That is pretty cool! I like the Stereo BBQ setup too!

Nice set up. The pizza doesn't look too shabby either :)

When's the pizza get together then?
    It's just a matter of time...

Blog Entries
    Great bits of kit by the sound. My wood fired oven takes about 45-60 mins to get up to 400-500 degrees so see the benifit of the warm up time.

I'm on my third year of using the oven outdoors and I have finally perfected my dough this summer. Try some nduja on pizza also it's amazing.

Garlic bread from last weekend

Quote Originally Posted by Pitch3110 View Post
    Great bits of kit by the sound. My wood fired oven takes about 45-60 mins to get up to 400-500 degrees so see the benifit of the warm up time.

I'm on my third year of using the oven outdoors and I have finally perfected my dough this summer. Try some nduja on pizza also it's amazing.

They look incredible mate!

Quote Originally Posted by alexaff View Post
    They look incredible mate!
    +1 - yummy!!
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

I've had a couple of goes of mine and need to ask the OP a question.
    When you feed the pellets in and light them everything is rosy. But when I add more pellets it tends to put out the existing fire.
    Does it need a flame on all the time or is the heat enough ? I made a couple of pizzas and they were fine but going forward I'd love to know a few tips.
    I've had a BBQ today and folk were mothering to put the pizza oven on . Just got them drunk instead .

Master
    A mate made a pizza oven in his back garden a couple of years ago, it's fantastic.
    He recommends pizza pucks from Makro and splits them in to two which gives a nice sized pizza base.

. Try some nduja on pizza also it's amazing.

I discovered this stuff this spring. It's amazing, the spicy kick is addictive.

What do you do for your dough? I find that proving in the fridge for a couple days gives the best results.

Those look very tasty
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Blog Entries
    Thanks guys.

My current dough receipt is.

480g. 00 Flour
    50g. Semolina Flour
    4g. Dissolved yeast.
    2 tspn Caster Sugar
    2 tspn Salt
    350ml Warm Water
    3 glugs Olive Oil.

Once kneeded I split into 200g balls, oil them and place into sealed sticky sealed sandwich bags then fridge for at least 5 hours or use the following day.

I remove from the fridge so they have a good 2hrs plus to get to temp and then remove from the bags, knock back, flour heavily and place in proving box at least 20 mins before forming bases.

They will hand stretch amazingly well and can be worked in the air perfectly, they will not tear and can be tossed!!!!

How does that differ from yours Captain Morgan and josep?!

Pitch

Thanks guys.

480g. 00 Flour
    50g. Semolina Flour
    4g. Dissolved yeast.
    2 tspn Caster Sugar
    2 tspn Salt
    350ml Warm Water
    3 glugs Olive Oil.

Once kneeded I split into 200g balls, oil them and place into sealed sticky sealed sandwich bags then fridge for at least 5 hours or use the following day.

I remove from the fridge so they have a good 2hrs plus to get to temp and then remove from the bags, knock back, flour heavily and place in proving box at least 20 mins before forming bases.

They will hand stretch amazingly well and can be worked in the air perfectly, they will not tear and can be tossed!!!!

Pitch
    About the same but a bit more yeast and no semolina flour. Will give your recipe a go next time.

Try leaving though a couple of days next time. It really improves the flavour.

Yumm!
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by thegoat View Post
    I've had a couple of goes of mine and need to ask the OP a question.
    When you feed the pellets in and light them everything is rosy. But when I add more pellets it tends to put out the existing fire.
    Does it need a flame on all the time or is the heat enough ? I made a couple of pizzas and they were fine but going forward I'd love to know a few tips.
    I've had a BBQ today and folk were mothering to put the pizza oven on . Just got them drunk instead .
    I light up the tray with a gas torch and then leave for five minutes, then I fill up the hopper tube almost to the top, after another fifteen minutes I'm ready to whack in the first pizza. About five minutes before that I give the fire grate at ththe back a good tap and the same to the hopper, I also top the hopper up and take the "door" off the front to check its flaming away.

Master
    Thanks guys.

480g. 00 Flour
    50g. Semolina Flour
    4g. Dissolved yeast.
    2 tspn Caster Sugar
    2 tspn Salt
    350ml Warm Water
    3 glugs Olive Oil.

Pitch
    Along the same lines but no semolina or sugar. Cold prove for 24 hrs minimum 48 is much better and so far five days it about the most you can prove for IMHO.

Whacked a batch in the freezer the other day wrapped in cling film and than a freezer bag as a test.

I'll dig out the link and post it.

Been out village festival today so quite "tired and emotional" now

Master

They do look great. I assume you have a bigger wood fired oven?

Do you have to turn them during cooking or just watch them ?

Will have a look at the nduja.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    I light up the tray with a gas torch and then leave for five minutes, then I fill up the hopper tube almost to the top, after another fifteen minutes I'm ready to whack in the first pizza. About five minutes before that I give the fire grate at ththe back a good tap and the same to the hopper, I also top the hopper up and take the "door" off the front to check its flaming away.
    OK , makes sense. Thanks.
    My first go was pretty good , but I do have high hopes for this thing.
    I'll keep my eyes on this thread.

I've wanted a pizza oven for some years. The below has been up and running in my garden for two weekends and has produced three evenings of pizzas. I only finished the tiling off yesterday morning.

I used to make my own pizza in the oven in the kitchen so am already familiar with the dough making (it really is very simple) but the sliding the pizza off the peel (the paddle thing) takes a little getting to grips with. Like already said if you slide the pizza off the peel fairly soon after it is rolled out it is a piece of cake, but if the pizza has sat on the peel for a few minutes it seems to stick to the peel and resist sliding off cleanly resulting in half of your toppings sliding into the fire! It's a leaning curve, but even my first attempts were leagues ahead of regular oven cooked pizzas.

Blog Entries
    They do look great. I assume you have a bigger wood fired oven?

Do you have to turn them during cooking or just watch them ?

Will have a look at the nduja.
    Yes indeed. Once the dough is stretched I lay it on a wooden paddle which has a sprinkling of semolina flour. This acts like loads of tiny ballbearings for easy slide off. I then have to keep an eye and turn almost all the time with a smaller flat SS paddle before removing with the big peel. They do burn very easily so you have to be quick.

Temp wise it hits 500 very easily although no where near as quick as yours.

Pitch

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by triumph coupe View Post
    I've wanted a pizza oven for some years. The below has been up and running in my garden for two weekends and has produced three evenings of pizzas. I only finished the tiling off yesterday morning.

I used to make my own pizza in the oven in the kitchen so am already familiar with the dough making (it really is very simple) but the sliding the pizza off the peel (the paddle thing) takes a little getting to grips with. Like already said if you slide the pizza off the peel fairly soon after it is rolled out it is a piece of cake, but if the pizza has sat on the peel for a few minutes it seems to stick to the peel and resist sliding off cleanly resulting in half of your toppings sliding into the fire! It's a leaning curve, but even my first attempts were leagues ahead of regular oven cooked pizzas.
    Looks great and like mine.

Use semolina flour on your paddle it will prevent any sticking

Pitch

Blog Entries
    Here's my puppy.

See what I mean Cap M on having to keep turning. Do you leave yours put in the oven ?? I am really liking your uuni and I know someone who would love one.

Master
    These all look great. We make them at home a lot but the dough never cooks that great in a normal oven so Think I may end up ordering one :-)

Anyone got any good recipes for the tomato sauce base?

Looks great and like mine.

Use semolina flour on your paddle it will prevent any sticking

Pitch
    How does the oven come?

Master

See what I mean Cap M on having to keep turning. Do you leave yours put in the oven ?? I am really liking your uuni and I know someone who would love one.
    Yeah I had one for lunch today and turned every 20-25 secs, I also adjusted the feed hopper to deliver slightly fewer pellets which reduced the heat a touch and it took closer to three mins.

Its a great little oven if you don't want or cant have a brick built one.

Blog Entries
    Yeah I had one for lunch today and turned every 20-25 secs, I also adjusted the feed hopper to deliver slightly fewer pellets which reduced the heat a touch and it took closer to three mins.

Its a great little oven if you don't want or cant have a brick built one.
    I think someone may be getting a prezzie. Lovely CM and great thread.

Pitch

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    How does the oven come?
    All complete and crated up. Took some lifting and getting in place but that's another story and another hernia opp.

Pitch

Master
    Waiting for the roccbox to arrive so these pictures are great. Had a go last night - roccbox sent a base receipe so we cranked the rayburn up high and plonked it onto the floor. I even had a go at spinning the dough - apart from a hole it did achieve its aim. Not a bad result in the end and it made a good meal last night and lunch today. Looking forward to more.

Master
    I found its getting easier to stretch the dough by hand after a few attempts, this youtube guide is quite good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lz-Yr1q-fKM

Blog Entries
    I found its getting easier to stretch the dough by hand after a few attempts, this youtube guide is quite good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lz-Yr1q-fKM
    That's the kiddie that got me going although his did shink back somewhat. The peel in the clip is exactly the same pizzacraft as mine which I use for placing pizzas in the oven. TKMax still have them in, a great place for kitchen stuff.

Pitch

Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    These all look great. We make them at home a lot but the dough never cooks that great in a normal oven so Think I may end up ordering one :-)

Anyone got any good recipes for the tomato sauce base?
    I just blend a tin of good quality Italian plumb tomatoes and add a bit of salt and sugar. I like the fresh taste.

It's almost fifteen years old, but this article by Jeffrey Steingarten on pizza remains one of my favourite pieces of writing on the subject. The link is to the Grauniad, but original was in Vogue, and also in his excellent book - It Must Have Been Something I Ate (the sequel to The Man Who Ate Everything).

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandst...rink.features5

What an excellent article; it has food, mad science, technology and more food. I'll start looking out for his books.

Quote Originally Posted by triumph coupe View Post

Does this come as a kit or is it a self design and build? Looks very cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post
    What an excellent article; it has food, mad science, technology and more food. I'll start looking out for his books.
    They are from late 90s, early noughties. Well worth a read.

When I first started out on my #watchnerd-ery, it was his approach that I followed.

When he was offered the role of food critic for Vogue (documented so brilliantly in The Man Who Ate Everything) he started training. And list-making. Steingarten took his job as a food critic extremely seriously, concocting “a Six-Step Program to liberate [his] palate and [his] soul”. I did something similar, although my six steps were slightly simpler and required fewer bowls of kimchi.

It's one of my favourite books on food.

Quote Originally Posted by Broussard View Post

When I first started out on my #watchnerd-ery, it was his approach that I followed.
    That's something I would struggle with. I couldn't see myself choosing to eat pickles or mushrooms and I certainly wouldn't buy a Breitling! lol

Quote Originally Posted by firedfromthecircus View Post
    Does this come as a kit or is it a self design and build? Looks very cool.
    The oven bit comes ready made. The brick base you could either do yourself, get a local builder to sort. The company I used build my base for me (my brick laying would no doubt be squiffier)

I designed the base to my spec then had it built for me excepting the work surface which I topped and tiled myself once I found tiles I liked.

Craftsman
    wow that Uuni is vert tempting indeed...Its portable I take it and you can store it away easily?

Quote Originally Posted by firedfromthecircus View Post
    That's something I would struggle with. I couldn't see myself choosing to eat pickles or mushrooms and I certainly wouldn't buy a Breitling! lol
    His approach was to learn as much as possible about food. To get rid of preconceptions, etc. Served me well.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Broussard View Post
    It's almost fifteen years old, but this article by Jeffrey Steingarten on pizza remains one of my favourite pieces of writing on the subject. The link is to the Grauniad, but original was in Vogue, and also in his excellent book - It Must Have Been Something I Ate (the sequel to The Man Who Ate Everything).

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandst...rink.features5
    Looking for the book now...thanks for the headsup.

Yep, looks like TZ has sent me off to buy something I didn't want, need or know about.

Now I know about it, want one and NEED one.

Thanks OP!

I gave up bread last month as part of my low carb 'diet'. Threads like these make me think WHAT THE HECK ARE YOU THINKING MAN!

Master
    Not up there with the uuni but Father's Day came early today

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lewie View Post
    Not up there with the uuni but Father's Day came early today
    Looked at those as a gift for a friend, let us know how it goes, is it going on a gas or charcoal BBQ?

Master
    On a Weber gas- seemed to get pretty good reviews- Groupon had them for £39 - I dropped a massive hint
    Seems pretty robust
    I'll feed back next week - girls are both home so we'll have a diy pizza night.......weather permitting

Mmmm Pizza - uuni pizza oven

Also bought an Uuni a few months ago, they are highly recommended. For £200 you can't go wrong, I reckon I've saved that within a few months.
    Agree with the OP that the pizza sticks on the supplied peel - get a wooden one, much better.
    I use Canadian flour and the pizzas are sublime.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Well what else can you do on Father's Day - knocked up a paddle with some timber from the garage

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by boris9 View Post

Also bought an Uuni a few months ago, they are highly recommended. For £200 you can't go wrong, I reckon I've saved that within a few months.
    Agree with the OP that the pizza sticks on the supplied peel - get a wooden one, much better.
    I use Canadian flour and the pizzas are sublime.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Looks superb and could not better that.

Pitch

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by lewie View Post
    Well what else can you do on Father's Day - knocked up a paddle with some timber from the garage
    Excellent.

Pitch