closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Everest rescue

Everest rescue

Usually one hears how it's not possible to save a life on Everest - this chap obviously hadn't been listening.

Quote Originally Posted by jools View Post
    Usually one hears how it's not possible to save a life on Everest - this chap obviously hadn't been listening.
    It's a great story that shows us humans have the ability to be selfless, well done that bloke!

Now that is a true hero, well done that man.

Impressive!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Fair play, what a great bloke. Hope he gets another crack at it.

Craftsman
    Good work that man - that is what mountaineering and sport should be about. Bet it makes interesting reading for those who walked passed.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    Good work that man - that is what mountaineering and sport should be about. Bet it makes interesting reading for those who walked passed.
    Very few will have the mental and physical strength to help at that altitude, all credit to the chap, I agree that this should be what mountaineering should be about. Unfortunately high altitude pay per climb seems to bring the worst out of people a lot of the time! I prefer to keep my climbing pure, with respect for fellow climbers and the mountains! These quotes have been in the forefront of my mind every time I go into the mountains.

“Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste; look well to each step; and from the beginning think what may be the end.” Edward Wymper

“In the current playgrounds of their sport, mountaineers learn what primitive people know instinctively – that mountains are the abode of the dead, and that to travel in the high country is not simply to risk death but to risk understanding it.” Robert Reid
    Last edited by dougair; 4th June 2016 at 13:09.

Plenty will have walked by. The history of the mountain is littered with stories of selfishness with very few stories like this. I read a lot about high altitude climbing and the stories are amazing. Hats off to the bloke.

He's having another go.

Impressive indeed.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Good luck to him, he deserves another crack..top bloke!

What an amzing, brave, and unselfish bloke. He desrves a medal for bravery. In some ways his second attempt might be better for him as he has experienced what he had to go through and may help his preparation. Hats off to you Mr Binns.

Everest rescue

Quote Originally Posted by mjrennie View Post
    Plenty will have walked by. The history of the mountain is littered with stories of selfishness with very few stories like this. I read a lot about high altitude climbing and the stories are amazing. Hats off to the bloke.
    The article states that he asked for help many times as people on their way to the summit passed them but nobody stopped to help. He had to drag the women down and also later strapped another man who was also struggling.

True hero.
    Last edited by IAmATeaf; 4th January 2017 at 20:18.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Hope he cracks it this time.

Sorry....thought this thread was about double glazing.

Well done that bloke btw.

Quote Originally Posted by Tifa View Post
    Sorry....thought this thread was about double glazing.

Well done that bloke btw.
    Ah, the power of advertising :-)

Good man. Did the right thing....

Craftsman
    That's great, I've read a few Everest stories and often people are left stranded as everyone else is struggling to survive themselves and in some cases more desperate to get to the top than to help someone else. Very inspiring, hope he manages to have another crack at it.

Craftsman
    Agree that it's an amazing act of bravery to help the woman as well as the other man. The title of the story is a bit misleading though. Saying he was metres from the summit is not that accurate given he was still over 450 vertical metres away...

Quote Originally Posted by crooky13 View Post
    Agree that it's an amazing act of bravery to help the woman as well as the other man. The title of the story is a bit misleading though. Saying he was metres from the summit is not that accurate given he was still over 450 vertical metres away...
    I think the important point is that he was in the so-called death zone, where some claim it's not possible to help others.

Craftsman
    I think the important point is that he was in the so-called death zone, where some claim it's not possible to help others.
    That's true. Pretty amazing that he then tried to save another person at the same time.

Actually just started reading a book about Everest called "Into the Silence". Bit of a slow burner but its not badly written. It's about the initial attempts by Mallory et al.

Quote Originally Posted by crooky13 View Post
    That's true. Pretty amazing that he then tried to save another person at the same time.

Actually just started reading a book about Everest called "Into the Silence". Bit of a slow burner but its not badly written. It's about the initial attempts by Mallory et al.
    Sounds interesting. I keep meaning to read "Touching the Void", I've watched the film a couple of times. Another epic rescue really, okay Yates cut the rope but Simpson always maintains that he fully expected to be left to die and wrote the book to exonerate Yates' actions.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    What an amzing, brave, and unselfish bloke. He desrves a medal for bravery. In some ways his second attempt might be better for him as he has experienced what he had to go through and may help his preparation. Hats off to you Mr Binns.
    +1

Sounds interesting. I keep meaning to read "Touching the Void", I've watched the film a couple of times. Another epic rescue really, okay Yates cut the rope but Simpson always maintains that he fully expected to be left to die and wrote the book to exonerate Yates' actions.
    I've read the book a few times - it's excellent.

A member of my family, who is no stranger to climbing, refers to it as Touching Cloth. I think that sums up the expedition quite well.

Master
    Fingers crossed he gets his wish this time. Amazing selfless actions first time round.

I went to Base Camp 10 years ago & that was tough enough, we had 7 out of a group of 34 not finish, 1 was choppered off in real trouble & 1 was arguably saved by the sherpas running him down quicky after collapsing - so to physically remove 2 extra people from the death zone is jaw dropping.

His Justgiving page is linked in that article (& copied below) if anyone is interested.

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/EH2017