closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Hotels in Washington DC

Blog Entries

Hotels in Washington DC

Hi guys,
    Off to Washington with SWMBO in October for a week, any personal recommendations for decent hotels over there? I know the 'Net is my friend' but I am more interested in the opinions of those who have been there relatively recently.
    Thanks.

We stayed here - The River Inn Foggy Bottom. Was a great hotel, nice, clean and good location.

We had a Corporate Junior Suite (Suite name no longer exists but they have suites still), and it was an excellent room and size.

Was back in 2011 we went but we had a great time

Craftsman
    I stayed in the W beside the White House a few years back. Cracking roof top bar with views. www.wwashingtondc.com

Brilliant city with so much to see and do. Loved it and would go back in a flash.

Blog Entries
    Many thanks guys, I like the look of that River Inn!

Hi, the Willard next to the Whitehouse is old world and a class act. The mandarin oriental is really nice and has high quality rooms.

Master
    I appreciate that you didn't ask this question, but I would suggest planning what you plan to do during your trip. Washington DC is fairly corporate and there isn't huge amounts to do (say compared to NY). Apart from the obvious (white house, Arlington cemetery) I recommend highly the Smithsoniam aeronautic musueum and the spy museum was also pretty interesting.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jwillans View Post
    I appreciate that you didn't ask this question, but I would suggest planning what you plan to do during your trip. Washington DC is fairly corporate and there isn't huge amounts to do (say compared to NY). Apart from the obvious (white house, Arlington cemetery) I recommend highly the Smithsoniam aeronautic musueum and the spy museum was also pretty interesting.
    Many thanks for that! SWMBO has been there before and knows what needs seeing. From my point of view, Arlington and the aeronautic museum are pretty much top of the list! I will swerve the White House as it seems they are only accepting tour bookings from US citizens at the moment.

SWMBO has her eye on the Capitol Hill Hotel after doing some research this afternoon, it looks ok but she will likely change her mind a good few times if past form is anything to go by!
    Last edited by KavKav; 3rd June 2016 at 22:31.

Quote Originally Posted by KavKav View Post
    Many thanks for that! SWMBO has been there before and knows what needs seeing. From my point of view, Arlington and the aeronautic museum are pretty much top of the list! I will swerve the White House as it seems they are only accepting tour bookings from US citizens at the moment.

SWMBO has her eye on the Capitol Hill Hotel after doing some research this afternoon, it looks ok but she will likely change her mind a good few times if past form is anything to go by!
    Don't forget there are two parts to the Smithsonian's National Air and Space Museum. The original museum in DC and the Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center out by Dulles airport:

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    Don't forget there are two parts to the Smithsonian's National Air and Space Museum. The original museum in DC and the Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center out by Dulles airport:
    That is great info, many thanks for taking the trouble!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by KavKav View Post
    That is great info, many thanks for taking the trouble!
    I think the one by the airport now has a real shuttle - when I last visited they had a prototype that had never been into space. Either way the museum is spectacular.

I lived in DC for 8 years and while i can't recomment a hotel , my advise to you is to book a hotel in the north west part of DC ;)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DimGR View Post
    I lived in DC for 8 years and while i can't recomment a hotel , my advise to you is to book a hotel in the north west part of DC ;)
    Point very much taken, thanks!

I second the River Inn and W.

I'd also suggest something in Dupont Circle. I've stayed in the Dupont Circle and also Palomar hotels. Great area.

thanks for the sharing..the hotels and accommodations services is really good in DC..
    Last edited by MartinDavidson; 19th March 2019 at 12:06.

On the 'Things To Do' front, The Newseum is excellent and well worth the admission (which is valid for two days). http://www.newseum.org/

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    On the 'Things To Do' front, The Newseum is excellent and well worth the admission (which is valid for two days). http://www.newseum.org/
    This ^^^^

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    This ^^^^

Journeyman
    I went last year with my wife and daughter. We stayed in the serviced apartments attached to the Newseum, as previously recommended to visit. It was great. Modern and close to everything. Do a search for them.

Washington DC was brilliant. Unlike most places in the USA these days, it still feels like the capital city of the richest country in the world (airport aside).

Book Le Diplomate for dinner. We had a super dinner there. A favourite of the Obamas apparently for their “date nights”.

Master
    A long time ago but we stayed in the Hay Adam's. Amazing experience. Best eatery was the Old Ebbitt Grill on 15th St NW.

Sent from my SM-J530F using TZ-UK mobile app

Blog Entries
    It is a while ago now but we has a really great time in DC. It was just before the presidential election and I remember with amusement the views I got from conversations with other hotel guests at the time and that was “which idiot do we vote for”?

We ended up staying at the Embassy suites by Hilton in Georgetown, pretty impressed with the location and accommodation, two nicely furnished large rooms with bathroom and the breakfast was excellent. Downside was the baffling room service, we got back to the hotel at 5.00pm on the second day and the room had not been made up, I went down to reception to tell them and they looked at me like I had asked for a slice of the moon on rye bread! It seems that rooms can be made up any time until 8.00 PM. WTF?

Add to that, a dope who handled our check-out and seemed quite baffled that I wanted to pay part of our bill with a few hundred dollars we had surplus to what we needed for our trip home. This ‘receptionist’ examined every bill like I had offered payment in Grazvorian Hertigroats and radiated disapproval that she was forced to handle some actual cash money. You can imagine the size of the tip I left her, I gave the surly mare a dollar, thanked her for her help and wished her a really great day!

To summarise, Washington DC was just brilliant, we had a terrific time and saw all that we wanted to see and that was plenty! One of the many things that pleased me on this trip was that I really wanted to see the Hope Diamond and had grudgingly conceded to myself that I would have to queue for an hour or so to see it, not so at all, there were four people in front of me so no delay at all!

I would definitely recommend anyone to visit Washington DC!
    Last edited by KavKav; 20th March 2019 at 07:30.