closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Voluntary work for a retired GP in London - any ideas?

Red face Voluntary work for a retired GP in London - any ideas?

Dear All, my father is a retired General Practitioner (in his 70's) and now that my mother has recently passed away, he is thinking of doing some voluntary work (e.g. medical advice clinic, 3 times a week for 3/4 hrs) to use his many years of experience.

However we have no idea what he can actually get involved in (or for which organisations), so any advice/ ideas would be appreciated!

If your father is interested in teaching medical students, I'm sure every medical school in London would have things for him to get involved in

I can pass you some contacts at the mighty St George's Medical School if needed

What a fantastic idea! Hopefully they allow 'guest' teaching staff. Please do PM me details - many thanks. :)

Quote Originally Posted by Snowdon View Post
    If your father is interested in teaching medical students, I'm sure every medical school in London would have things for him to get involved in

I can pass you some contacts at the mighty St George's Medical School if needed

Would he consider joining, or becoming an associate member of Rotary ?

I have been a member since my mid-40's, and they serve many communities in addition to Offering a great social life.

Stroke awareness
    Prostate and men's health
    Water sanitation in Africa
    Blindness in India
    Polio in Africa

Rotary is totally cr@p at promoting the great work it does across the globe, they achieve so much and would welcome his talents.

In exchange, he will make a new set of like-minded new chums.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by The Hack View Post
    What a fantastic idea! Hopefully they allow 'guest' teaching staff. Please do PM me details - many thanks. :)
    If they don't they deserve a slap, it would be madness to turn away the benefit of that experience.

Another great idea. Thanks, I'll suggest it to him.

Quote Originally Posted by W124 View Post
    Would he consider joining, or becoming an associate member of Rotary ?

I have been a member since my mid-40's, and they serve many communities in addition to Offering a great social life.

Stroke awareness
    Prostate and men's health
    Water sanitation in Africa
    Blindness in India
    Polio in Africa

Rotary is totally cr@p at promoting the great work it does across the globe, they achieve so much and would welcome his talents.

In exchange, he will make a new set of like-minded new chums.

My GF volunteers one day a week at her local Headway centre in London https://www.headway.org.uk
    I would imagine a volunteer with clinical experience would be very valuable?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Late night Soup Kitchen

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by The Hack View Post
    Dear All, my father is a retired General Practitioner (in his 70's) and now that my mother has recently passed away, he is thinking of doing some voluntary work (e.g. medical advice clinic, 3 times a week for 3/4 hrs) to use his many years of experience.

However we have no idea what he can actually get involved in (or for which organisations), so any advice/ ideas would be appreciated!
    A well man clinic on construction sites would be awesome, I have done something similar with a retired nurse on a few of my sites in central Scotland, construction companies would bite your old man's hand off to have him in, goes down well with considerate constructors and provides a great service to the guys on site, the nurse on mine identified issues such as high blood pressure which could have led to a heart attack, worked so well that the company asked her to come on the books on an as and when she fancied working contract

St John Ambulance (link) or Red Cross?

Perhaps some kind of mentoring as well as the teaching mentioned above?

So many professions have 'hollowed out' the way in which they do work : only fee-earning activity counts for anything these days, whereas trainees / NQs, as well as being expected to be profitable from the day they start, rarely get a chance to discuss broader issues with senior people.

Mentoring also seems to cut both ways. The semi-retirees I know who do it find that they are also learning a huge amount from the people they are mentoring - a generation brought up in the digital age have a very different take on life.