closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Prophets of Rage - How I wish I lived in L.A.

Prophets of Rage - How I wish I lived in L.A.

http://prophetsofrage.com/

I absolutely love Rage Against the Machine, but they were much before my time when their first album released in '92. I was just 8. I would have loved to have seen them before they split in 2000. But didn't get into them until it was too late. So news that they are in some way back on stage is very VERY exciting. It also helps that I quite like Cypress Hill and Public Enemy. I hope they make it to the UK, but unlikely.

I should add, I was very lucky to secure a ticket to their concert in Finsbury Park 2010 in celebration of beating X-Factor. It sits there amongst my all time favourite gigs. Plus I was extremely lucky to catch a full 5 song sound check the day before. My friend and I were having a beer or 2 at Finsbury Park when the heavens opened. We took cover under a small tree and everyone else left. To our surprise we heard a sound check, a sound check that was too good to be roadies. On stage was the entire band played 5 songs. A dozen or so people arrived after about 3 songs, hearing the noise. It was like a private gig. Tom came and said hi after. Close to a perfect day!

Any other fans on here who could share their excitement or perhaps memories from a gig they've been to?

And here I am after one of the best concerts ever;

Journeyman
    Saw Rage in Dublin in '93. They were fantastic, appealed to my teenage angst!

When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Grandmaster flash and the furious five. I was 15. First 'proper' gig. At the venue in Victoria. Lee perry - seen him a few times, the quality is variable, but he's definitely a prophet. Gil Scott heroin - saw him a couple of times at dingwalls. Rodrigo and Gabriela - saw then a couple of times at festivals.
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Saw Public Enemy in Paradiso. One of the weirdest gigs I've been to: 99% white public. Best gigs I've seen was Prince 2 nights in a row in a small Amsterdam venue when he cancelled his concerts in Oslo after the Breivik murders. Another remarkable one was Snow Patrol in a private after show with 50 people or so after the were support act of U2 in Amsterdam.

I've been lucky enough to see dozens of fantastic gigs over the years which could never be repeated today, for me the excitement always started to build days before the event and it used to take me days to come down after some of them! Oddly, one that really sticks in the memory considering there was only one original member left was being on stage in the wings watching The Sweet (actually Andy Scotts Sweet by then) perform at Stevenage in about 1990, a friend was filling in as rhythm guitarist as the regular guy was ill and invited us along to watch it.

I've been a fan of Rage since '92 as that first album came out just at the right time for me as I was 15. Their subsequent albums were all good (and better on a technical level), but never really captured that same lightning strike. I had very high hopes for Audioslave, but it just wasn't for me.

As for memorable gigs. My favourite band for over 20 years have been Tool (and there is some connection to RATM as they've been a part of the same scene in the early days). I first saw them live in '98 when I was at Uni in Seattle. Many years later I became friends with Adam, the guitarist and art director of the band, so over the years I've seen them play in their rehearsal space, been allowed to pick my own setlist, and ended up doing artwork for the re-release of their first EP. But, since that one time in '98, I haven't seen them in full blown concert. When they announced a small US tour early this year, I booked flights to the US and they asked me to do tour posters and T-shirts for the shows I would be at. Seeing them in Atlanta in a sold out 13000 people arena, having full access VIP passes, hanging out backstage, with people wearing my artwork on their shirts, was absolutely the coolest moment of my life. I then travelled on Adam's tour bus over night to Charlotte where we repeated the whole experience again! In Charlotte I also got to watch the rehearsal in a completely empty arena, a full 40-ish minutes mini-show with lasers, lights, etc. Amazing.

Saw RATM at Reading festival in '96 i think it was.

Back in those days Reading was alot quieter than more recent years. Between bands on the main stage, the field emptied out quite a bit, so if you wanted, you could get right up near the front and wait for the next band to come on.

This is what i did for RATM.

The field soon filled back up and as soon as they started playing there was a massive surge forward, the crush was intense, so much so i had the get the hell out of there, pretty much had to elbow/push/punch my way out through the crush to the side where there was breathing space, took about 15mins to get out. When i got there i found i had a line of about 5 kids and girls hanging on to my shirt tail for dear life, lol.

Good set though, but most memorable of that day was Ice T getting the hump that everyone was throwing mud at him and getting his tracksuit dirty, where as lead singer of butthole surfers loved it and was throwing mud back at the crowd

Brighty

I've seen a good few great bands, when I was in the racket I'd get taken for nothing in a limo.

This was one of my faves....

Cheers,
    Neil.

Nothing could possess me to want to live in L.A...

M