closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Hodinkee are coming to London

Hodinkee are coming to London

"Calling all Londoners (and anyone living in Britain)! HODINKEE is excited to announce that we are hosting a pop-up shop at Harrods in London from June 9th to 12th."

http://www.hodinkee.com/articles/ann...rods-in-london
    Last edited by Mitch Buchannon; 31st May 2016 at 16:58.

I am excited that they are excited, so much so that I may even pop in to have a look, time permitting.
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Craftsman
    Interesting - am in London at that time, so will pop in and see them!

I'll be there ! Anyone fancy a pop up get together over a few pints afterwards ?

Master
    I may be about on the 10th so will try to pop in.

Could be good .... But need deep pockets !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    any idea what they will be selling?

I had no idea that Londoners shopped in Harrods

Quote Originally Posted by turnera1 View Post
    But need deep pockets !
    It's in London, that won't be a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    I had no idea that Londoners shopped in Harrods
    Don't think their target customer speaks with a Cockney accent.

Master
    So who is going, there was a London event tonight but the reply from them was too late for me to then make arrangements but will be going to Harrods on Friday for a viewing..

Quote Originally Posted by burton View Post
    So who is going, there was a London event tonight but the reply from them was too late for me to then make arrangements but will be going to Harrods on Friday for a viewing..
    I will likely be there on Friday !

Banned
    I'm hoping to get a look on Saturday, so far I haven't seen what's going to be on offer.

Hopefully some lovely vintage chronos.

Craftsman
    I am hoping to be there on Friday afternoon or Saturday morning too

Hats off to them, they really have figured out how to add value, though I am not sure I know how they have done it.
    Scrolling down their sold watch listings and looking at the prices, it is amazing what they have managed to get people to part with.
    If I could command that type of premium on my watch sales, I could retire.
    Good luck to them.
    D

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    Hats off to them, they really have figured out how to add value, though I am not sure I know how they have done it.
    I think it may have something to do with running a highly successful blog with the production values of a magazine, and employing several people to write articles, fly off to watch fairs, and take beautiful photographs! After all that I'm not surprised that people with, let's say, more money than time will trust them to pick out a good watch for them, for a hefty mark up. As you say, good luck to them! Lucky for us that we can pick out our own though...

I may drop in today if I have a moment, and will report back. Previous Harrod's events have generally been a small display with half a dozen watches, so we'll see if it's worth the trip.

Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    Scrolling down their sold watch listings and looking at the prices, it is amazing what they have managed to get people to part with.
    If I could command that type of premium on my watch sales, I could retire.
    Good luck to them.
    D
    At least they provide case off shots to customers.

cf Analog/Shift and 1025Vintage; not a single movement shot amongst them.

Master
    Here is a little taster...

https://live.hodinkee.com/e/harrods-pop-up

Shropshire, UK, by the grace of God. dougdarter@aol.com
    Quote Originally Posted by jonasy View Post
    Don't think their target customer speaks with a Cockney accent.
    This is bollocks, and quite unfair.

One of the brightest and best Army Officers I ever worked for, a Major in command of an aviation squadron, and former SAS troop officer had the broadest cockney accent you ever heard, and he was an inspiration. He was a regular officer too, ex Sandhurst.

On the other hand, I knew a fair sprinkling of cavalry officer subalterns, both RTR and RHA who were quite obviously Oxbridge graduates, serving a short service commission, ex Mons officer cadet training unit, to get 'Army Cavalry Officer' on their CV's who were as thick as two short planks, unreliable, and quite incapable of commanding respect, never mind other soldiers!!

OK, why shouldn't a cockney/east ender type shop at Harrods??

Please explain.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by doug darter View Post

OK, why shouldn't a cockney/east ender type shop at Harrods??

Please explain.
    Or anywhere, I remember a few years ago being at the Maserati dealer and a builder, with his chums along with their van, was collecting his new Rari next door made me laugh as he still had the work wear on also. Made me smile and think good on you!

Craftsman
    Has anyone made it down to harrod's yet? I am hoping they have they have also brought some of the travel rolls over to purchase.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by optix View Post
    Has anyone made it down to harrod's yet? I am hoping they have they have also brought some of the travel rolls over to purchase.
    Yes they have those I think, at least I'm assuming that's what I was moving out of the way to look at the watches!

I dropped in this pm, they have a small display with about a dozen vintage pieces, and friendly staff on hand. Some nice watches - a 1016 with strong yellow patina (and matching hands for once), a black vintage Daytona Cosmograph, a 70s zenith EP in its original box, maxi dial SD, I think a gold sub, the remains of a Speedmaster (presumably a special one?), and a 50s style Longines with arabic numerals, among others. I must be getting jaded, part of me thought 'the usual suspects' - the only thing that really got my attention was the prices! But it's not a bad haul and seemed to be getting plenty of attention.
    Last edited by Itsguy; 9th June 2016 at 17:44.

Master
    Would you say it was worth the trip to that part of London? I will be Liverpool Street way most of tomorrow

Master
    Did they "delcare" their watches coming in from US? ;)

I think I will go visit on Saturday. If there's a small gtg, I will join in as well.

Popped in last night. They seem to have sold a few pieces already, including the Longines 13ZN.

Watch rolls, "HODINKEE" straps, NATOs, the HODINKEE-branded Loupe System and the watches. Basically their online shop ported to the back of the Watch Room in Harrods.

Quite a few people milling around. Bumped into a couple of people I knew. Nice to have opportunity to take a better look at the Moser Swiss Alp watch...

#HarrodsxHODINKEE
    Last edited by Broussard; 10th June 2016 at 09:53. Reason: Edited for capitals

Craftsman
    Popped in this afternoon. Very nice people and played around with some old watches. Made it clear they were out of my price range but not a problem. Fantastic chronographs and they looked good the small one was in great condition for a 1940 watch.

I gave myself a treat with a watch strap I'd been looking at and hoped it would be less buying direct but the same price as in the USA plus UK tax. Only saving was postage and other fees plus I could look at the strap.

They are expensive but high quality. Below is my Hodinkee canvas strap which I have on today, about 1.5 years old and worn a lot and doing well. Worth a visit if your local and in London. Cheers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    Went there today, never been to Harrods so had a wander around aswell.

The 2 ladies at Hodinkee stand were really friendly and had a good chat to them.

This was really lovely so comfortable on the wrist! Also not much more, if any, than a modern day version.

Fell in love with this.

Side by side

Very impressed and probably could of bought a few things but with a holiday next week and a couple of watches in SC that need to be gone first I thought best of it.

Craftsman
    Popped in to see it this morning and had a quick peek at their selection of vintage pieces and straps. Unfortunately they were tucked away at a tiny table at the back of the watch room so it would be easy to miss them. Being placed at one of the circular display stands would have been better for viewing as only one or two people were able to view at one time. I guess Harrods were reluctant to give up the retail space to a pop-up.

Was certainly impressed at how busy all the boutiques were, it looked as if everyone of them had a client sitting down with sales staff.

I went today and think it's not worth visiting. Maybe all the good stuff are gone already.