closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Opinions sought - Speedmaster Mark II

Opinions sought - Speedmaster Mark II

I've recently acquired this 1970 racing model, my first vintage watch. I'm going to send it off for a service and case refinish.

It has an original dial, and as far as I can tell hands. I'm in a quandary though on whether to have anything done to these. I'm new to vintage and unsure of what the options are.

As you can see from the photo the lume is badly degraded, and the hands are in various states of fading. My questions are:

Should I leave as is?
    Get the dial lume replaced/cleaned up (not sure tritium or cleaning is an option though)?
    Replace the faded chrono hands?
    Get the 'white hands' cleaned and relumed or replaced?
    Replace the bezel?

Who would you recommend to do the work- STS or Watchworks or another option?

Thanks for any thoughts, I'm not trying to make this as new, but to put in a good state to last as I'm planning on keeping this one!

STS all the way for me. And I'd leave it as original as possible. They will clean it sympathetically and it will look amazing!

Master
    New hands and relume it will look 100 times better

Master
    Your dial is pretty good ... T Swiss Made T suggests it's original and the orange plots look bright compared to my old one.

I had a MKII that I replaced dial and all the hands with - I regretted it. It's an old watch and should show signs of age to be "authentic" if you ask me.

I bought another MKII which I still have and whilst the hands had been replaced before I got it .. I left the dial BUT did get re-lume with "aged" lume so it didn't look too shiny but did get rid of black marks on the dial.

Current MKII Before re-lume... note missing / black lume on most plots ...

After re-lume ...

Fully restored previous MKII

Craftsman
    This exact model is on my list of dream watches. Got a TV dial to get rid of first. When I get round to that I'll be on the hunt for one. Yours looks great just as it is.

Quote Originally Posted by jpjsavage View Post
    STS all the way for me. And I'd leave it as original as possible. They will clean it sympathetically and it will look amazing!
    This

Thanks for the replies so far. I am veering toward minimal changes, maybe just changing the chrono minute hand and cleaning/sorting the lume plots.

Ian where did you get the lume done on your current one?

I would love a TV dial at some point as well!

STS can do some amazing things with a modern material to give the watch the aged lume look. It is all completely reversible too if, at some point, some one wants to return the watch to an original state.

Does the case need lapping? If it's been polished then I'd say yes, definitely do it. If it's the orginal finish do you really want it done? As soon as you get a nick, dent or scratch in it you may regret having it done. For me there's something much more interesting in an original finish with signs of wear over a refinished case with slightly less metal on it. The worry that you might damage the relapped case might stop you wearing it too.

If you send the watch to STS they can replace the dial and hands for you, and you get the original ones back. If you don't like the new look you can get the originals put back in for not much cash.

The tachy scale is printed on the underside of the crystal. Again, if you get it all sorted by STS they can replace the crystal and you get the original back.

I have two Omegas I've had the original parts put back in/on, and I have the parts Omega replaced (as NOS at the time of service) sitting in a safe. If I ever sell them, the next owner has the option to keep the watches with the original parts or to put the new stuff back in.
    "A man of little significance"

Master
    That fully restored one looks amazing and is the look i'd go for .

I'll call STS tomorrow to discuss the options with lume- didn't know I sympathetic, reversible, solution was an option.

It still has the remnants of the original star burst finish, but is pretty beaten up in places so a refinish (and potentially some laser welding) is needed. I know what you mean about scratching a perfect watch, but I've been there before and learnt to live with my own scars :-).

Master
    I got James aka Dreamboat10 to do the relume.

Shropshire, UK, by the grace of God. dougdarter@aol.com
    I've always felt, that unless the dial is too far gone, leaving it as it is is the best option, though I may be in the minority. I think that your watch looks fabulous, just as it is.

I had the Flightmaster version as my wedding watch, but sadly it was stolen a while back. It was irreplaceable, so I didn't!

It'll be your preference that counts, but I see 2 possible ways forward.

1 - just a service, and let it wear its scars with pride. All of them.
    2 - go the whole hog, lap the case and freshen everything up totally

Anyhting else in the middle ground seems a bit inconsistent.
    And for me, I think yours is way too nice to re-do entirely, I'd leave it be.

D

It looks fine as it is but if the lume irks you can get that cleaned up.

It's a vintage watch you don't want it to look brand new. The over restored stuff just looks a bit "newbie" to me.

In fact there was somebody on here that had a full restoration done (probably cost nearly the price of the watch) and was then too frightened to wear it.

Besides, faded orange hands look great...

Cheers,
    Neil.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ed335d View Post
    This
    +1 on that!

Thanks all for the input, it's useful to get different perspectives to help with the decision! I've emailed STS and Watchworks today. I've asked for options but after much thought I'm going to probably go with the majority and leave pretty much as is:

Definitely going to get a service, as after using for a day it seems to have an intermittent fault and runs slow after using the chronometer.
    I am going to get the case done as some of the scratches bug me, but will ask for this to be light, as a few dinks left won't be a problem.
    Clean up the lume plots.
    And that's probably it!

Sorry one more question...

The text on my bezel ring looks 'blurry' compared to others, is this how they were or is it an aftermarket replacement?

Hi there,

I went through a similar decision with my Mk2 but after seeing a fellow forum member post pictures of his watch with a new dial and hands my decision was made.

Whatever you decide I don't think that you will go too far wrong with STS. They carried out the dial and hand replacement on mine several years ago. The watch is currently back with STS to have the case refinished as mine had lost it's edges over the years: they now have the ability to laser weld and lap the case so I'm really looking forward to getting it back and seeing the results!

We all have our own individual tastes and so ultimately only you can decide what to do. The decision may also be swayed by whether or not you see the watch as a keeper or one which you are likely to move on in time?

Another thing that may be worth considering is the availability of replacement dials. I don't know if this is an issue or not but I would certainly ask STS as I doubt that they are produced anymore. If you decide you want to replace the dial in a few years time would one be available?

Here's mine before the new dial and hands:

and after...

I would not restore the lume, leave as is as it affects the value; if you are keen to do something about it, I would look for a replacement dial, do do come up from time to time, great watch!

I would have the watch serviced, replace the crystal, crown, and pushers if they need to be. I would not touch the dial or the hands. I would have the case restored only if they have a lapping machine. STS is a good for all Omega. Including Omega headed invoice.

Thanks again, I'm going for minimum changes to dial and hands (just a clean up) and for the starburst finish to be lightly reapplied.

Thanks also for all the photos, really helped to see the options!

Does anyone have a view on the bezel?

Also I emailed STS yesterday lunchtime and have had no response, is this normal for them?

That certainly hasn't been my experience: maybe give them a call?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt8500 View Post
    Also I emailed STS yesterday lunchtime and have had no response, is this normal for them?

Thanks, will do. Seemed a bit strange!

Sorry one more question...

The text on my bezel ring looks 'blurry' compared to others, is this how they were or is it an aftermarket replacement?
    If it's blurry it will be an aftermarket job.

Get it replaced when you get it serviced.

They are usually a bit scratched up anyway as they are mineral glass.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Journeyman
    lovely watch

Quote Originally Posted by Relativity View Post
    That certainly hasn't been my experience: maybe give them a call?
    Call them and ask to speak to Simon Freece.

Thanks, I spoke to Simon this morning. He was very helpful and strongly suggested I leave the dial and hands as is.

Thanks, I spoke to Simon this morning. He was very helpful and strongly suggested I leave the dial and hands as is.
    Wise advice - having also owned a fully refurbished one I think they just look like new watches if you're not careful

How very wise.

Like anything vintage it loses its charm when it is over restored.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

It'll be off to STS in a couple of days, I'll be impatiently waiting for its return.

I'll try and take some reasonable before and after shots if anyone's interested :-). It will be just a service and case refinish though!

Interestingly I rang Watchworks also, they are not taking any work on vintage at the moment, and have a 16 week lead time for newer Omegas.

recent pic of mine.... bought on here from Tom, it came with a recent STS service - think they did a movement service and sorted the case, but dial & hands probably original ..... I would recommend you go for the same level of work. You want to keep a vintage look !