closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: The Seven Ages of WIS...

Master

The Seven Ages of WIS...

I was amused by this post over on the CW forum, and thought it reflected my own 'journey' over nearly two decades. I'm probably stuck at 6.

Credit to AVO of the CW forum.

http://www.christopherwardforum.com/...hp?f=4&t=37528

The Seven Ages of WIS (not Bjørn!)

With apologies to Wm. Shakespeare (see what I did there?)

1. The Insouciant. Has a watch. One watch. Maybe. Perhaps uses smartphone to tell the time. Perfectly good watch from Argos or Samuels. Needs a battery every couple of years, apart from that just fine. He hasn't a clue what is out there and doesn't care.

2. The Curious. Has seen an interesting watch on a friend's wrist or perhaps an advert in a magazine. Realises that mechanical watches did not disappear in the 1970s. Interest aroused.

3. The Newbie. Joins a watch forum or two. Like a dog with two Parnises. Everything is wonderful, like the character in The Fast Show played by Paul Whitehouse, who strides across the screen saying "Aren't watches brilliant?" Wants one of everthing. Full of innocent questions, such as "What's the best watch for a beginner?" Tries to use horological vocabulary and gets it wrong, such as talking about deployment clasps. Gets post count reduced for wishing Happy Birthday to 31 people in 6 minutes. (PS. I'm not being snooty...I've been there! :lol: )

4. The Maniac. Like Geraldine Grainger in the chocolate aisle during a TV trolley dash. If a married man, becomes nervous of showing SWMBO the bank statements. Camps outside church halls waiting for flea markets to open. Actually thinks he needs a 600m WR watch with HEV to go in a pool in Tenerife, or a pilot chrono to time the flight from seat 17E.

5. The Dolphin. Realises the folly of the previous stage, and develops flipperitis trying to flog off all his mistakes. Uses all sorts of jargon like "one in, one out" or "only selling to fund new incoming." Gets bored waiting for a bite and prices drop like a stone. Be patient, buyer...there are bargains to be had!

6. The Consolidator. Phew! All the rubbish has gone. He now moves upmarket. Casio, Accurist and Limit are long gone. CW, Stowa and Steinhart are on the way out. Depending on tastes, we are talking Omega, Cartier, IWC, JLC, Bremont and of course Rolex. Trying to get down to the perfect 6 or 10, but never quite satisfied unless he finally becomes...

7. Shakyamuni...Buddha, right? The Enlightened One. Has found The One (with maybe a couple of others in the box for occasional use.)

Anyone recognise themselves along the way?

I am wondering whether 4,5 and 6 are a kind of internal loop within that

Most people here are stuck at #3 when it comes to clasps

Journeyman
    Did anybody ever reach #7? :)

The Seven Ages of WIS...

God that's scarily accurate!

I agree with Ian about a loop being part of the process though but then there's no mention of it being a one way progression.

I think I'm settled at six at the moment.

Sent from my iPhone using magical powers.
    Last edited by Dave+63; 22nd May 2016 at 09:40.

Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post
    I am wondering whether 4,5 and 6 are a kind of internal loop within that
    In Buddhism, is this the Wheel of Becoming? Craving and Ignorance are in there, iirc.....

I could never get to level 7. There are just too many nice watches out there.

Oh, and I know one well known watch retailer who calls them 'deployments'!
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

I am sort of stuck at number 6 only going around the loop the wrong way, selling a Rolex to buy Steinhart.

I'd say I'm on stage 4 and simultaneously leaving stage 5 but not at stage 6. Stages 4 and 5.5-ish.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    I am sort of stuck at number 6 only going around the loop the wrong way, selling a Rolex to buy Steinhart.
    I know where you're coming from. I increasingly see the value in the Steinhart/Timefactors level and see less value in the higher end brands.

Perhaps my moving to stage seven is a realisation that I neither want or need higher end watches.

Haven't persuaded myself to let the GMT go yet though!

I'm at level 8: Lose interest and buy a Timex

Craftsman
    Sounds about right. I think I'm at between stage 5 & 6.

Shropshire, UK, by the grace of God. dougdarter@aol.com
    I've worked my way through all the stages - even acted like Geraldine Grainger, for real!!

I'm contented, however' to now be Shakyamuni. Long may it last.

I recognise the stages from what I have observed in others, but am having difficulty working out what stage I am at, or more importantly what stage I want to get to.

Whilst I like Dolphins I haven't sold any watches and those that I think I would be happy to sell, would struggle to raise enough to make a significant contribution to add another stage 7 watch.

I think there's a 5.5 option available: one in one out but always, *always* adding money to the transaction

Grand Master
    Scarily accurate, I'm bouncing around 5-6
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Hmm , interesting and actually accurate in many parts.
    Let me warn you guys that Stage 7 is an urban myth.
    There are some like Steve ( Burnsey ) who claim to have reached it.
    Little do they realise that it is a brief, fleeting stop on the way to Stage 8. But I don't want to spill the beans and spoil your journey. Best to experience it for yourself.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Hmm , interesting and actually accurate in many parts.
    Let me warn you guys that Stage 7 is an urban myth.
    There are some like Steve ( Burnsey ) who claim to have reached it.
    Little do they realise that it is a brief, fleeting stop on the way to Stage 8. But I don't want to spill the beans and spoil your journey. Best to experience it for yourself.
    True Raj.

There are many on here who take great delight in dragging up an old post when you said you were ‘complete’, then you dare to buy another watch...

Personally, I have reached my goal - for now - when I choose to set and strive for another, I will - no one on a watch forum is going to stop me doing that, but the problem is, this place is full of under achievers, too quick to comment.

Quote Originally Posted by burnsey66 View Post
    True Raj.

There are many on here who take great delight in dragging up an old post when you said you were ‘complete’, then you dare to buy another watch...

Personally, I have reached my goal - for now - when I choose to set and strive for another, I will - no one on a watch forum is going to stop me doing that, but the problem is, this place is full of under achievers, too quick to comment.
    👍👍. That's the right attitude.
    Personally, I don't know which stage I am.
    While I have quite a few that I would be happy with as my only watch, there are also quite a few out there. I would like to experience. Just having fun as I go along.

Quote Originally Posted by Tooks View Post
    Like a dog with two Parnises.
    Sorry, no further submissions please, this sentence has won the internet.

I'm at 4 and saving so hopefully going to skip 5 and straight onto 6 but I need bigger funds for 6 so might have to resort back to 5 but find it hard to sell so I'm back at 4..

All this back and forth and then you have SC shining like a bright light in the dark drawing you in like a suicidal moth..

Im probaly at about 4.5 or so really, have way too many but not enough i say. Every day brings a new delight i yearn for, and im having fun and getting broke along the way.

Master
    I'm a 3 for sure...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Ive been stage 2 for 40 years. Now stage 3 (check post count)

Right, whose birthday is it around here?

Is it possible to go from stage 2 to 6 in just six months? I think that might be what happened to me

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    7 I think.
    Gone from a collection of 9 down to one that I wear daily with a few sentimentals in a box that I don't.
    That said, I still change intermittently.

Have regressed from stage 7 to stage 6 to stage 5 and presumably to stage 1 next.

Sans Rolex Sans Omega Sans Teeth

am at stage 5, 6 & 7 depending on the time of day or day of week ...

I would agree with most of that, except I think 7 is less about 'enlightenment' and more about 'disillusionment' when they suddenly realise they don't get the pleasure they once did from their watches and how much they've actually spent on watches over the last 5 years...

I have moments of insight into this world, but whilst I feel like a 5 or 6, I don't see the need to 'go upmarket' to attain some kind of nirvana - I'll never own a PP or a Rolex probably, and whilst I can admire the workmanship in a Dornbluth, I'm more than happy to do so from afar and I find some 'upmarket' watches beloved here quite repellent. I'm sure the watch company's parents love to foster this 'need', but I just buy watches I like first, bet it a £25 Citizen/Seiko on eBay or something a little dearer. I've some 'rubbish' in my collection - Some has sentimental attachment, some I just liked the look of!

I can't say, as with cars, that I find all that many modern designs that appealing... A sign of approaching dotage I presume...

Likewise, I have a switch that tells me that £2K is enough to spend on any watch and, like tattoos on an attractive woman, once I see that barrier is breached it's enough to dampen any ardour.

Different people will feel differently where that limit is (and probably find tattoos irrestible), but the 'need' to move upmarket is, I think, primarily driven by the makers and supporting media...

M

You can't help but laugh reading that - it's terrifyingly accurate...

I, like several here, am somewhere between 5 and 6 i.e. trying to consolidate, trying to go up market, still with mid-range watches, still with some low-end stuff.

Simon

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    I know where you're coming from. I increasingly see the value in the Steinhart/Timefactors level and see less value in the higher end brands.

Perhaps my moving to stage seven is a realisation that I neither want or need higher end watches.

Haven't persuaded myself to let the GMT go yet though!

And I thought I ws the only one. SMPC for CWC. GS for Rado Diastar original

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    I would agree with most of that, except I think 7 is less about 'enlightenment' and more about 'disillusionment' when they suddenly realise they don't get the pleasure they once did from their watches and how much they've actually spent on watches over the last 5 years...
    This is actually the truth.

During my thirteen years here I have seen many people start as level 1 newbies, work their way up to level 7 and then disappear. Obviously completely disillusioned and to find something different to waste their time on.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052

Master
    #5 best describes my behaviour at the moment.. Flipping is still very difficult for me. And not even considering comsolidation just building the collection to my evolving taste...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am definitely at Stage 6, having slowly moved through stages 4 & 5. I have flirted with selling them all, buying a Lange and "moving on" to Stage 7 nirvana but the thought of only having one watch scares the crap out of me!!

Mike

Well,
    All I can add is that I have gone from Stage 1 to Stage 6, back to 4, back to 6 and back to 4 again!!!!! Now trying I think to achieve the final stage 7. Will I be happy then? Maybe,maybe not, who knows? All I do know is that it has been a great journey, as yet not ended.

Cheers.

I'm at 6 and will never get to 7; it doesn't exist. I considered a couple of Roger Smiths recently as the ultimate 'exit piece' but realised I'd get more pleasure from wearing the 3-4-5 I'd have had to sell to get there.

There is no 'one'. There may be a 'few' but there will never be one :)

Master
    I'm at 6. I've tried to kid myself on that I'm at 7... but, why would I even click on Sales Corner if that was the case.

Quote Originally Posted by DB9yeti View Post
    I'm at 6 and will never get to 7; it doesn't exist. I considered a couple of Roger Smiths recently as the ultimate 'exit piece' but realised I'd get more pleasure from wearing the 3-4-5 I'd have had to sell to get there.

There is no 'one'. There may be a 'few' but there will never be one :)
    Roger Smith's Series 4 has been my grail since SalonQP last year. But as you say, I don't think it's possible for us to just have one watch and be satisfied.

never did 5, maybe I should start