closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Explorer II

Explorer II

I've just received an Explorer II, late 90's style. It's the black face, and is something I've been thinking about for a few years.

To context this, since I discovered real watches, I've pretty much worn one of Eddies. There's been an occasional Breitling, a couple of Anonimos and a high end Seiko, but the price/value delivered by our host is so good, I've stayed there. The 82 in particular was almost welded to my wrist.

However, the Explorer II did appeal a lot. I travel incessantly, and a second time zone always seems like a good idea, and I've tried both a GMT Anonimo and the Speedbird GMT. My first real watch as a youth was a black faces Timex, so I've always liked that colour mix.

Interestingly, I like smaller watches. Not on trend, I know, but works fine for me.

The watch arrived this morning, just before I set off for China. Just time to take the NATO off and swap it for the Eddie rubber on the 82. A quick adjust on date , got the time right, and into a cab.

Sat in Paris, waiting for the next flight now. I completely get the Rolex GMT approach, it works perfectly for this. Hour hand clicked forward an hour for Paris, and it'll get another 7 once I'm on the next plane. Depth of watch is perfect for me and legibility is excellent. The small crown works fine and, and although I get the discussions on the cyclops, it does make the date stand out. There's no great weight and it feels like a delight to wear.

Downsides? It's not a GMT, and I'd love a Pepsi. There's quite a bit of reflection. I like minute bezels. But that's about it. As ever, Will it last? Who knows but there's no buyers remorse kicking in. I've learned not to say keeper, but it's certainly in the right direction!

Grand Master
    My white dial is certainly a keeper!

- - - Updated - - -

ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ktmog6uk View Post

- - - Updated - - -

My black dial maybe a keeper.

These watches are great value and why they are not more popular I will never understand. I have my (white) one on now and have done for the last 3 months, given its relatively low value I wear it without a care and it has made me really enjoy the 5 digit references again.
    Last edited by -Ally-; 21st May 2016 at 21:30.

Quote Originally Posted by ktmog6uk View Post

- - - Updated - - -

So good, he said it twice ;)
    It's just a matter of time...

Explorer II

For me it would have to be a white dial as a contrast to my coke GMT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

White dial for me, first Rolex I bought and a superb travel companion.

Master
    Glad you're enjoying it!

Oh I want one, one of these days...

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Barton Red View Post
    White dial for me, first Rolex I bought and a superb travel companion.
    +1 ....a few have come and gone since then, but my mid-90s white dial Exp II is still with me ..... as someone said above, underrated and unjustifiably overlooked ....