closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: help me understand the g-shock

Craftsman

help me understand the g-shock

I cannot stand the things, why do people like them ? or if some one posts a SOTC and it has a G-shock missing people say buy one.

They don't even look good, why buy one ?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrdemon View Post
    I cannot stand the things, why do people like them ? or if some one posts a SOTC and it has a G-shock missing people say buy one.

Cheap, reliable and work in extreme conditions. The perfect watch for going places you would not want to take an expensive mechanical watch.

If you can't stand them, then just ignore them.

Totally agree ,there must hundreds of better looking watches that will do a job

Master
    Often interesting from a technical point of view, and ridiculously robust / tough, and use anywhere type watches. I have a G-Shock - I don't get excited by them especially but I've found over the years it's spent more time on my wrist than anything else as a daily / beater.

Mine wasn't very pricey but is solar charged, can sync with the atomic clock (so is always pretty much dead on to the second whenever I check it), doesn't look too bad.. I don't get what's hard to get about them :)

Buy a DW-5600e to start you off and I know you'll get it then. There's one for sale on SC ;)

I personally think they do look good....but then again I think the Omega Ploprof 1200m looks great too and I know many people don't agree! As a daily rugged wearer they are superb and with the multi band models always spot on to the nearest second, great watches, what's not to like....

I know what you mean

Probably something to do with my age but I cant stand plastic / resin construction - it has an air or disposability about it and seems 'none mechanical' the very thing that attracted me to watches in the first place

Grand Master
    I prefer the aviator ones,not into digital Gs.

Great watches....buy one to see why we like em 😉

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    Buy a DW-5600e to start you off and I know you'll get it then. There's one for sale on SC ;)
    Also brand new on Amazon UK for only £49.99 ;)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/DW-5600E-1V.../dp/B000GY74R2

I find for swimming, cycling, running, etc. they are light and comfortable, water resistant, and have stopwatch etc. Steel watches bounce around too much.

On a holiday they are cheap enough to wear climbing over rocks etc. or to take off on the beach and not worry too much about losing or damaging, and very easy to change to a different timezone.

You know, you don't HAVE to understand and like every genre and sub-genre of our little hobby. If you don't get G-Shocks, don't feel compelled to, just buy stuff you do like. I have a G, it's useful for wearing when I'm going to be doing something I wouldn't want to wear an automatic for or when there's the possibility a watch might get damaged and there's nothing better out there than a G for those purposes. That said, I don't view my G as part of my collection as such, it's a cheap knockabout watch rather than something I care about.

Quote Originally Posted by vortgern View Post
    Also brand new on Amazon UK for only £49.99 ;)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/DW-5600E-1V.../dp/B000GY74R2

Thanks, I've reduced mine.

I'm interested in this thread as I am planning to buy my first G Shock this summer as a holiday watch. I too don't really get them but they just seem like the obvious choice. A sensible, well priced watch for someone looking for a functional time piece that they don't have to worry about whilst away.

What are the alternatives at circa £60?

Grand Master
    For anyone that tried to "get it" but didn't,and if an aviator model then drop me a PM,it might just be what I do get 😉

You are, of course, right. In general they are big, ugly, unnecessary, unreadable, made of plastic and battery powered - I should (and did) hate them too. But, like pressing on a sore tooth with my tongue, I keep going back and doing it...

Although I do prefer my Suunto

All us "G" owners secretly think we look like special forces as they are the go to military watch, just as Omega owners think they're going to be mistaken with Daniel Craig and why else would you wear a Sub on a Nato if you didn't fanboy over Sean Connery..

Simple question - simple answer..

Mine is never going to win any awards for style, but I like my blue Gulfman - it's not overly in your face, and it's absolutely fine for using in the gym/swim without me worrying at all for it's well being. Do I care that it's mass produced digital resin? Of course not, I appreciate that not all watches were born equal or for the same purpose, even if all watches tell the time.

Master
    They have their uses and stand abuses
    I don't have one myself as I have no need for one and to my eyes they're pig ugly. Although I do have a few friends that swear by them, and they do serve as a true tool watch

Journeyman
    Good POVs . I wad intending to use my Tissot PRS200 as take anywhere watch oncd i get my navitimer

For me it's y go to holiday watch. Keep thinking of buying a nicer cheaper good watch for hols but always end up with a G. I now have a vivoactive ( have I mentioned this? :-)) for running and swimming but the Gs are just better tool watches. If I've got a lump hammer or pick axe in hand, I'll be wearing a G.

Mike

Banned
    Er, how does somebody who gets a daytona not get a G?

I have a couple, a GW 5600 and one I bought 10 years ago that I can't remember the name of.

To me, they are great 'wear and forget' watches.

First ignore the looks. Then think of the concept. A watch below 100 that is more accurate than anything mechanical, can resist water, shock, cold and real abuse. You can find video's on YouTube of people who strap it to a BMX wheel, screen down, do stunts and the thing keeps running. Stunning accomplishment.

Update: link
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VstVPYB5zF0&sns=em

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Glen Goyne; 19th May 2016 at 21:07.

Master

I find some of the analog-digital models quite nice. The problems that I have with them is that there are sooo many models and that I'm a couch potato. I'll have to get one, Amazon here I come...

Nope: too many... Got to see them in the metal. I mean resin

Last edited by Deckard81; 19th May 2016 at 21:24.

For me, I have 2 by the way, it's their almost indestructibleness. You can pretty much do anything to them and they keep on going

Craftsman
    I've owned two and both have failed. The first one had moisture in it after a holiday, and the one I have now also misted up on a ride to work the other day, so my impression is they're complete rubbish.

Neither has been subjected to extreme conditions. Just swimming, cycling and beaches.

Journeyman
    Having trawled through the shock thread I have a real itch to get a rescue red!

Moon and tide data for when I'm kitesurfing and totally bombproof!

Craftsman
    I want one, I just find it difficult to fork out the silly money some of these models go for. On the other hand, I am quite happy to fork out almost seven hundred pounds for a Marinemaster quartz!

You don't have to get them. They have a place in horology same as a Daytona or a Timex. They serve a purpose and I use one in the gym, running or any activity that I wouldn't want to be wearing a "nice" watch for. Other watches are available.

I can understand neither, till I was told that this model has been put up for sale at $90,000

Horrible big ugly lumps of plastic IMO.

Why buy one? Radio controlled, multiple time zones, alarm, waterproof, stopwatch, back light, tougher than Quartz or mechanical watches and all for about £60

G-Shock is not what has once been...

But I still like basic squares and metal MR-G pieces from the late 90's.

Craftsman
    I've a couple - a GW3000b-1aer (aviator with orange text) and a GWN1000b-1ber (master with the blue bezel)

Before I got one I was not convinced . . . Now I can bring myself to sell them!!! They are great to just grab when cutting the lawn or going on holiday. The fact they are 'controlled' also means you don't need a GMT to know what the time is . . . Although you do still need to know where you are and the correct three letter code which relates!!!

If you are not sure, I would get one and see what the fuss is about. If you buy wisely and don't like it, you won't spend much and may loose £10!!

Rob

They are the Quasimodo of the watch world, I'd rather wear a toad on my wrist.
    I'm just a very naughty boy.

Good deals with- VINSTINK, kevkojak, Optimum, Omegary, seikoking, acg, SPEEDY, kfman, Card Shark, wajhart, Jot, danboy, zenomega, gaz64, minke, Mal52, Alas, norfolkngood, Sparky, rdwiow, mrteatime, gravedodger, joeytheghost, lordoftheflies, Silver Hawk, Filterlab, brooksy, marmisto, Fray Bentos, Bootsy, Harvey69, Mantisgb, bristolboozer, Jedadiah, newtohorology, Zephod, jimm1, Draygo, Raptor.

I may have forgot one or two, apppologies.

Apprentice
    They might cost £50 but you you need a PHD to be able to use them.

The thought of changing the time on any casio sends shivers down my spine.

Master

You don't have to like something you know? I've had these watches since I was a kid. I've still got my first ever G-Shock and it still works. They're as much a classic watch as any other in my book. They're tough, classless, worry free to own and wear, and relatively cheap. If you ignore the monstrosities of over-sized fashion parades from recent times and stick with the 5600/6900 types, you'll have a fantastic watch that will serve you for years, whether it be in the garden, or white water rafting. I'd rather smack one of these against a brick wall compared to a watch worth thousands.

Quote Originally Posted by Toddmargo1 View Post

Seriously?! You press and hold the upper left, cycle through with lower left and adjust with lower and sometimes upper right. They're pretty much the easiest things to adjust in the digital world.
    Last edited by W44NNE; 20th May 2016 at 23:42.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Toddmargo1 View Post

I kinda agree. I also have an Aerospace which is a similar PITA to adjust. That's why my G is a solar powered, atomic version. It's also an analogue / digital which is small and neat and seems almost normal and thankfully doesn't need to be messed with.

Quote Originally Posted by W44NNE View Post

Seriously?! You press and hold the upper left, cycle through with lower left and adjust with lower and sometimes upper right. They're pretty much the easiest things to adjust in the digital world.
    Glad I wasn't the only one thinking that when I read it, they are pretty much the same as any digital watch out there. If you have owned a £15 Casio digital when you were a kid you will know how to change the time on this.

Craftsman
    I don't get them either.

And for you fancy types:

(Yes, it's solid gold...)

Regards,
    Adam

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by craniotes View Post
    And for you fancy types:

(Yes, it's solid gold...)
    Amazing! Is that a Casio model or a third party case?

Craftsman
    It's Casio:

It's a one-off they made in honor of Kikuo Ibe, the creator of the G-Shock. (BTW, he's the shorter guy in the photo...)

Regards,
    Adam

Journeyman
    They're not a thing of beauty. They're lumps of plastic after all. But they are extremely functional.

I own this one:-

Like others here, I stick it on my wrist when I'm doing work that might damage a more pretty/pricey watch. That's the beauty of a G Shock it can take a bash and you really don't mind if it does. This one has a tide graph which is very useful, as I live only yards from the sea.

Craftsman
    I've never really got them either. Might pop into the shop in Covent Garden for a nosey later.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by craniotes View Post
    It's a one-off they made in honor of Kikuo Ibe, the creator of the G-Shock. (BTW, he's the shorter guy in the photo...)
    Wow. Shame he wasn't wearing it at that event.

So not yours then? :-)

I find the idea of a solid gold G-Shock rather appealing.

Wearing one will give you inner peace. When I wear mine I couldn't give a sh!t if it gets knocked, scratched or bashed and that gives me a sense of calm. This tranquility helps exorcise the Swiss watch demons of AP, Rolex etc.
    Last edited by Tony-GB; 21st May 2016 at 10:24.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony-GB View Post
    Wearing one will give you inner peace. When I wear mine I couldn't give a sh!t if it gets knocked, scratched or bashed and that gives me a sense of calm. This tranquility helps exorcise the Swiss watch demons of AP, Rolex etc.
    I get that with my sinn :)

I had at least ten of them before I came to the conclusion that I'm not a nerd or a teenage boy.
    I'd rather wear an analogue Timex, which are just as cheap and easily rugged enough for my requirements.

Value for money, tough watches that you can ear anywhere. Wear mine at work which seems to be all the time at the moment.

If you do not get them, that is cool. fair play to you.

Personally I wear what I like, what I want to wear and not bothered, but wearing a nice watch in my work would not be a good idea.

Master
    I don't quite get it either!

I understand the fairly cheap ones c.£100, you get a really robust watch with some neat features. Styling a bit in your face for me but you pay your money you take your choice.

I'm not too sure about the more expensive ones, when you're getting over £300.

Ultimately you don't need to understand it get them, if you don't like them, don't buy them. Pretty much like any other watch really.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I like them because they're a relief from fussing about mechanical watches. They're bright, sometimes utterly tasteless and it's refreshing to take a moment away from wearing something that has the kind of silly price tag that would make a normal unafflicted person wince.. and if you're going to stray from the fancy stuff then go big or go home ;-)