closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Review: Breitling Aerospace Evo Night Mission

Blog Entries

Review: Breitling Aerospace Evo Night Mission

Background

Breitling Aerospace celebrated their 30 year anniversary 2015 and the model has keeps a lot of it's aesthetics since the release 1985. Changes regarding dial, hands and case has been carried out but the concept remains the same, to offer a pilots watch with the functions necessary for pilots.

A short historical run through can be found here

The current model Aerospace Evo was introduced 2013 and the main differences from the previous version Aerospace Advantage are dial, hands, bezel and case. The case has grown from the original 40mm to 43mm with a short stop at 42mm (Aerospace Advantage).

Aerospace Evo is available in two different versions; Standard and Night Mission (black). Night mission has been released with two different dials, volcano black and yellow. The yellow dial version is a limited edition (300 pieces) and was launched 2015 to celebrate the 30th anniversary.

Specifications

• Referens number: V7936310|BD60|108W|M20DSA.1
    • Movement: Cal 79 (ETA E10.451), 4 years battery, COSC-certified, +-15 seconds/year, (EOL)
    • Case: 43mm x 10,8mm, black titanium
    • Weight: 46,7g without the strap
    • WR: 100m
    • Functions: Timer, chronograph, Minute repeater, second time zone, digital time+date, alarm, background light.
    • Other: There is co-pilot available for the standard bracelet version.

Case and bezel

The titanium case is 43mm excluding crown (including crown guards). Both the case and bezel have a matte satin finish. The case angles are sharp. Exospace was said to be made of "black carbon coated titanium" before Breitling updated their website and deleted the info. I don't know how Breitling makes the Aerospace Night Mission black but I can assure you that the material used is hard. I have banged and scratched the watch against metal more that once with not so much as a hairline on the case or clasp to prove it.

The bezel is secured by screws but the 15 min markers are now a part of the bezel instead of screwed in place as on the old models. The innermost border of the bezel disappeared when the Evo was released and the lume pip at 12 o clock has been increased in size. The material used for lume is of course super luminova.
    The bezel has 120 clicks which is a logical choice since the minute hand moves every 30 seconds. The bezel has no play what so ever in any direction and the clicks are "hard". There is no way that this bezel will move without the owner wanting it to. The grip is good even with gloves on thanks to the 15min markers.

Caseback

The back case is slightly convex and has a matte finish. The Breitling name and logo are polished. Different weight and volume units are engraved on the back to enable conversions between different units. The basic specifications are also engraved.

Strap

The band width is 22mm and the strap tapers to 20mm. The thickness is perfectly matched to the thickness of the lugs and the distance between the case and the strap does not create an annoying gap. The material get rugged quite fast which is a little annoying but can easily get sorted by using a lighter. I do however think that the strap will wear faster than my other Cordura straps. The stiffness is perfect and the lining feels good in contact with the skin.

Clasp

The black clasp wedges the strap by folding it slightly so the strap length can be adjusted without increments. The clasp opened by accident the several times during the first days I owned the watch (while wrestling and climbing) but this was easy to fix by bending the clasp a little. It now closes perfectly and doesn't open by accident.
    There is a metal loop right at the middle of the clasp which lies directly at your wrist so if you like to keep your straps very tight then you will be annoyed by this clasp. There are regular black Breitling buckles available as to buy separately.

Functions
    Cal 79 is the Breitling version of the thermo compensated (HAQ) quartz movement ETA E10.451. The ETA-movement is used in other brands watches as well. Breitling’s modification is COSC-certification, light function and the minute repeater function. The minute repeater can be deactivated before the watch reaches the customer if the watch is going to be delivered to for example a task force.
    The COSC requirements for quartz watches is easily put a maximum mean variation of +-0,07 seconds/day which is usually round off to +-25 seconds/year. Breitling sets the spec to the movement to +-15 seconds/year (0,04 seconds/day) and call it "Super quartz".

All the functions are set and handled by using the crown which has 2 gaskets. The digital displays have the following functions:

1: Black display
    2: Digital time
    3: Seconds + date
    4: Day of the week + date

It is possible to synchronize the hands to the digital display (needed after battery replacement) and the hands can also be set independently. This enables quickstep forward/backwards by the hour and can there for be used while (for example) travelling. Add the extra time zone display and this grants you three different time zones.

5: Timer
    6: Second time zone (Can be changed in 1/2-increments)
    7: Chronograph (no intermediate times)
    8: Alarm (1)

The timer and chronograph functions as expected. The chronograph is started / stopped by pressing the crown and is zeroed by holding down the crown. The timer is set by pulling out the crown and activates when you push it back in.
    The volume of the alarm is sufficient without being annoyingly loud.
    The displays backlight is activated by slowly turning the crown and the light is light vision goggle compatible.

A closer look

All the parts under the crystal (hands, 12, 3, 6, 9 markers, Breitling logo) have been changed from polished to matte black.
    The painted parts of the dial and the lume offer great contrast to the black and make the dial legible even if it's a pretty much all black watch.
    The details of the dial are really good and the hands are long enough. The hands look a little thin in pictures but look great IRL. The skeletonized hour hand hinders the hand to cover the Breitling logo and text.
    The flat sapphire crystal has double AR and the AR is fantastic, a must on all black watches.

On the wrist

The Aerospace Evo sits perfectly on my 18,5cm wrist. It is thin, light and well balanced on the wrist. It doesn't get sticky to the wrist like some titanium watches do and it is comfortable enough to sleep with.
    It is big enough to have a good wrist presence but small enough to be very comfortable. The lume is typical super luminova and applied pretty thick so the lume holds most of the night after some charging.

Final thoughts

I like this watch A LOT. I was having a very hard time picking between the standard and the Night Mission versions and I'm glad I chose the Night Mission. It is stealthy without being boring and it is very legible thanks to the bright accents on the dial.
    I like the fact that Breitling hasn't just put PVD on the case; instead they have reworked everything on this model which makes for a very complete look.
    I have basically nothing what so ever to complain about when it comes to the quality of this watch and that is very rare. HAQ, lots of functions, titanium and 100m WR makes it a great overall watch.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Once again, a brilliant review. I'm in the market for one of these so I'll delve into it properly later on.
    Thank you for taking the time.

Journeyman
    Nice piece, both the breitling and the review!

Quote Originally Posted by yonsson View Post
    Breitling Aerospace Evo Night Mission

There's no mention of a torch in your review as the only Evo Night Missions i currently take part in is getting up for a piss during the night.

That's one hell of a review. Great work and lovely watch and pic too!

And now I want one... :D

A nice write-up, thank you!

I like it a lot, especially on the canvas strap. Thanks for taking the time.
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Master
    Thanks for the effort, for some time now I've been looking at these ana digi Evo's and wondering what I could shift to add one to the collection. This review is not helping matters....

Very informative, thank you!
    I have the previous generation and love it. Slowly warming up to the Evo now (the hands were not to my initial liking). If nitpicking it does bug me a little that these cannot manage leap years.

P.S
    If I buy an Evo now I will bill you for it.
    Bought the G-Steel AND the Mudmaster after reading your top notch reviews of those.

Great review and superb photos, that strap looks perfect too. Thanks for posting.

Thanks for posting, really informative and some stunning photos. Some of the Breitling range are a bit busy for my liking, but the word that springs to mind with this model is robust.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Great review mate, thanks for taking the time to post it.

mike

Blog Entries
    That is a great watch and great review - very detailed! MASSIVE Thank you for spending time to put it together. Here is the LTD Cobra version:

Great review. No questions from me because you've covered all the bases. :)

Master
    Great review, thankyou! I'm sorely tempted - been thinking about an ana-digi for a while and the thin case and low weight of that is an attractive combination.

Thanks for taking the time to do that - this site needs this kind of input!

Awesome watch; I started with a 40mm, owned a 42mm Avantage briefly and am now back to the old 40mm as my bike/gym watch.

The Aerospace is the classic modern Breitling for me, as innovative as the 806 Navitimer just have been in its day.

Journeyman
    Very detailed and educative for newbies like me

Thanks for your first-class review and splendid photos.

Forgive my ignorance but what's meant by "co-pilot available for the standard bracelet version"?

Master
    Nice review, thanks for taking the time. I've had the standard version with volcano black dial and really like your night mission version but was a bit wary of any coated watch for getting scratches. Seeing your review and highlighting how tough the coating seems to be is reassuring

Craftsman
    An excellent review, most informative. Particularly enjoyed your explanation of the various functions.
    Cracking watch and photos.

Master
    Great review of a great watch, I would post a 'mine says hello' type picture but I've already done that today in another thread!
    Thanks for taking the time to post, especially the Breitling museum link,

Nice review but I do not think the size increase is for the better; probably too big for my wrist now! With a diameter of 43mm I'm guessing the lug-lug is over 50mm now?

Cracking review, I was looking at these yesterday, really nice watch but I have a personal mental block with the quartz to price ratio. Also I was surprisingly attracted to the Avenger Blackbird in black titanium.

Your review has got me thinking again though...

Blog Entries
    First of all, thanks everybody for the positive feedback! It's what makes it worth the effort.

I have bought the Evo but will hopefully borrow a Breitling Exospace soon which will get the same review treatment. I have to admit I got a little mad when Hodinkee posted their review of that model a week or so ago because I wanted to be first, but I guess being second after Hodinkee isn't that bad. :)

Breitling has a lot of fun models coming out now, would be awesome to get some more time with the Hurricane and Chronoworks as well but I don't think they will be sold at my local AD.

Quote Originally Posted by S.L View Post
    Very informative, thank you!
    I have the previous generation and love it. Slowly warming up to the Evo now (the hands were not to my initial liking). If nitpicking it does bug me a little that these cannot manage leap years.

P.S
    If I buy an Evo now I will bill you for it.
    Bought the G-Steel AND the Mudmaster after reading your top notch reviews of those.
    Allways happy to enable my fellow WIS. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by steptoe View Post
    There's no mention of a torch in your review as the only Evo Night Missions i currently take part in is getting up for a piss during the night.
    At least you can time your "Night Mission" with the chrono. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by DMC102 View Post
    Thanks for your first-class review and splendid photos.
    Forgive my ignorance but what's meant by "co-pilot available for the standard bracelet version"?

Quote Originally Posted by Gruntfuttock View Post
    Nice review but I do not think the size increase is for the better; probably too big for my wrist now! With a diameter of 43mm I'm guessing the lug-lug is over 50mm now?
    When I first tried on the Evo after the release I thought it was a little big but now I think it's perfect. I usually refer to the 3 day rule, wear the watch for three days and you will get used to the size, works on pretty much any watch. :)

I can measure lug/lug tomorrow and add the info.
    Last edited by yonsson; 18th May 2016 at 21:10.

Great review, thank you. I must have checked this on the Iconic website a dozen times, and on at least half of those occasions nearly bought it. I really want the yellow dial, though.

Aha! Every day's a learning day - thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Great review, thank you. I must have checked this on the Iconic website a dozen times, and on at least half of those occasions nearly bought it. I really want the yellow dial, though.
    I haven't seen the yellow dial IRL but it sure looks great in pictures. It wouldn't be as stealthy as this one though. :)

I haven't seen the yellow dial IRL but it sure looks great in pictures. It wouldn't be as stealthy as this one though. :)
    That's for sure

I really like these (even in their standard form) and that's a great review. Thanks for taking the time to post and congrats.

Master
    Excellent review of a truly stunning watch. Many thanks for sharing.

Banned
    Many thanks, great work on the review and nice watch.

Craftsman
    Thank you for taking the time to do this comprehensive review. Having recently bought my first Aerospace, I can certainly see myself buying more.

nice work my man! I've never totally understood what this range can do, you've now made me want to try one!

Blog Entries
    Great post! OP: Well worth copying into the 'Review' section - which has a wealth of (searchable) posts done down the years (plug for my posts on the B-1, B-50, Nght Vision Cobra Edn. - Breitling reviews).
    M

Craftsman
    Excellent review thanks. I used to have an Aerospace years ago and I'm looking to buy this version as the dark titanium looks great. Just saving up the pennies.

Master
    Superb writeup and pics, thank you yonsson. I wasn't sure I wanted on but looking at those pics I know I do...

Just with my pedant's hat on:

The current model Aerospace Evo was introduced 2013 and the main differences from the previous version Aerospace Advantage are dial, hands, bezel and case. The case has grown from the original 40mm to 43mm with a short stop at 42mm (Aerospace Advantage).
    Strictly speaking only the 2005-6 Aerospace [42mm, up from the previous 40mm] was called the 'Aerospace Avantage' [NB, not Advantage]. In the catalogues it reverted to simply being the straight 'Aerospace' from 2007-13, until it was replaced by the current [43mm] 'Aerospace Evo'. Though colloquially you're right that the 'Avantage' moniker has stuck to distinguish the 42mm watch in general.

Again, great post, thank you.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom-P View Post
    Superb writeup and pics, thank you yonsson. I wasn't sure I wanted on but looking at those pics I know I do...

Just with my pedant's hat on:

Strictly speaking only the 2005-6 Aerospace [42mm, up from the previous 40mm] was called the 'Aerospace Avantage' [NB, not Advantage]. In the catalogues it reverted to simply being the straight 'Aerospace' from 2007-13, until it was replaced by the current [43mm] 'Aerospace Evo'. Though colloquially you're right that the 'Avantage' moniker has stuck to distinguish the 42mm watch in general.

Again, great post, thank you.
    Thanks for clearing that up!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    Great post! OP: Well worth copying into the 'Review' section - which has a wealth of (searchable) posts done down the years (plug for my posts on the B-1, B-50, Nght Vision Cobra Edn. - Breitling reviews).
    M
    I used to write my reviews in that section but since the server got flushed a few years ago I don't any more.

Very nice review and some great pictures of a fine looking watch.

Journeyman
    That's a great review. Thanks. I love this particular Aerospace. I've considered it in the past but thought it might be too big for my wrist but the thin(ish) case certainly helps the and the Ti will help with the weight. I'm wearing my Chronospace today and wonder if it might be worth flipping to pick up one of these. Hmmm...

Really informative, thanks for taking the time.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by I am not a robot View Post
    That's a great review. Thanks. I love this particular Aerospace. I've considered it in the past but thought it might be too big for my wrist but the thin(ish) case certainly helps the and the Ti will help with the weight. I'm wearing my Chronospace today and wonder if it might be worth flipping to pick up one of these. Hmmm...
    I find that it wears much smaller than its dimensions would suggest.
    Well worth trying one on before dismissing it because of its size. It really is a cracking watch

Excellent photos - they really highlight the differences between the standard and night mission models.

I have been considering another quartz watch for a while - its now come down to three. This Aerospace, the B50 Night mission (luckily in some ways the one on SC has sold) and a Omega X33.

Still not sure if the B50 is too big - and I have owned a few of the varying aerospace models before.

From reading the above I may be leaning back to the Aerospace again :)

Thanks

Matt

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    Great review, but then I am biased!

Craftsman
    I've already posted on this thread; but every time this thread gets bumped to the top & I read it again, it makes this watch grow on me even more.

Blog Entries

I forgot to post the lug/lug measurements. 52mm from edge to edge but the lugs are a little longer closest to the strap so I think most people would measure it to have a lug/lug of 50mm.

I wear the watch on a grey Hadley Roma Cordura strap and regular Breitling buckle now which I think makes a good combo.

Blog Entries
    ^^^^

How do you find wearing the Evo on your R wrist. Any issues operating the crown there?

M

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    ^^^^

How do you find wearing the Evo on your R wrist. Any issues operating the crown there?

M
    I always wear my watches on the right so can't say it bothers me.
    Turning the crown or pressing it down is no issue but pulling it out (for setting the timer) is a hassle, when I need to do that I take it off.

Journeyman
    Good review! Enjoyed that with the morning coffee!