closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: 5513 - living with vintage

5513 - living with vintage

5513 - The iconic Rolex sports watch

Produced from the mid 60's to the mid to late 1980's the 5513 is one of Rolex's longest running references and a great entry watch into the fantastic yet scary world of Vintage Sports Rolex.
    "Entry"... being a rather confused word as this watch has at least doubled in money over the last 10 years alone. Although "entry" probably being correct monetary wise, as pretty much only the 1680 sub date and 1675 GMT are available at similar money. 1665's for example jump up a level, then on to the 1655's etc..etc....
    I personally don't see the 1016 Explorers as true sports watches being only 36mm and without any separate function.

Image......

The 5513, is a classic. There is no doubt about that. Even the most avid Rolex haters can't deny it. It is impo the cleanest and best looking sports watch Rolex made which followed through with the 14060 and a better size than the earlier subs.
    It can be worn everyday with anything and remain uber cool just like its not trying. It's not a watch which shouts, but is still highly recognisable. Yes it looks cool on a NATO or vintage style leather, but ultimately looks so right on the oyster.

Looks.....

Matte black dial with tritium plots and separated quarters. Minute track edge.
    Black rotating dive bezel with pip and 15min dive section. Tritium filled Mercedes style metal hands. Curved 316 grade steel case with brushed and polished finish with drilled lugs. Fully brushed 316 grade steel Oyster link bracelet with flip lock clasp and dive extension. Stamping on clasp, bracelet ends and case (between lugs)

Lettering... In this MK1 Maxi dial (dial font, spacing, lettering all differ over the years)
    It's very important impo to have a correct period dial for the serial.

Rolex Coronet
    ROLEX
    OYSTER PERPETUAL

660ft=200m
    SUBMARINER

Movement......
    Rolex 1520/30
    Non chronometer

Reliable and very smooth winding.

Feel.......

The Oyster bracelet on the 5513 is very, very comfortable, but is prone to wear with its hollow centre links. The riveted and folded links of earlier models even more so. Which is why many have ended up on Natos.
    The plexiglass as with all vintage sports Rolex has its charms, but ultimately will scratch very easily. On the plus side, very easy to polish out also.
    The tritium on the dial and hands is pretty much dead, and can only be seen in the darkest of night. The bezel is friction type and is bi directional, however you do require a good grip to move it (if not, it's worn sunshine).
    The curve of the case is wonderful and the overall dimensions of the 40mm case are just perfect.

Packaging......

Vintage watch packaging. There were quite a few different styles of box and packaging for the 5513. Most recognised is probably the sandy coloured Seahorse box. The packaging with any vintage watch can make a difference in value, and even more so with Rolex.

A nice clean original 5513 with minimal wear, with its original box, manuals, accessories and PUNCHED papers can make a considerable amount more than a loose watch and anything in between. I've always placed written papers at a much lower level, as most I've seen look written in at a later date.

Residuals.......

Ah the big question.

Percentage wise there aren't many other things on the planet that can hold or increase their value as well as a vintage sports Rolex. There are a few exceptions as I have seen auto exotica, paintings and property, make huge gains in my lifetime. But with everything like this comes peaks and troughs. It's a pretty good investment though in my eyes if you pick the right one.

In the approx 10 years I've had mine, it has doubled its value plus a bit more. It's all about the buying though.

Overall .......

I love this watch. I hadn't wore it for a while and thought about selling it not so long ago. There is a bit of sentiment as to how I got this particular watch, but even if there wasn't, a week after wearing it again, I couldn't think of anything that I'd want to replace it. The fact I am wearing it now non stop, proves to me you can wear and enjoy vintage, all of the time.

The 5513 is a quality product and highly sought after. A simple originally designed tool watch that has become a luxury.

Last edited by MuRph77; 15th May 2016 at 13:44.

Master
    A really nice review! Thank you!
    I have very little knowledge on vintage Rolex and I always thought that the bezel in a dial should be uni-directional.
    This was apparently introduced in the 16800...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    Id Love one but Man hard to buy sth that was not franken

Wys?ane z mojego BBF100-6 przy u?yciu Tapatalka