closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Father wins term-time holiday case....

Quote Originally Posted by Josh B View Post
    They must read and write pretty slowly then. The quality of feedback I've usually seen from teachers could be knocked out by a moron in 2 minutes.
    I see you understand the concept.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by sean View Post
    I'd like to think I know what's best for my kid, and don't want the ability to make that decision taken out of my hands just because there are some parents who don't know what's best for their kids.
    Totally agree, there are far too many parents who will exploit the system just so they can go on holiday.

To me it's all part of a good rounded education

Master

Father wins term-time holiday case....

Quote Originally Posted by SIB View Post
    So just like everything else in life they need to learn to live within their means. If they can't afford a holiday abroad outside term time then they do whatever they can afford instead. I never went abroad until I was 25 and spent all of my holidays with my parents in the UK, often not going away but with days here and there to the beach, parks, castles, in the UK.

You can't help children being ill and that's totally different to delberately taking them out of school during term time so you can get a cheaper holiday. My work pays for me to have sick days as they are something you have no control over, they don't pay for me to take time off outseide my holidays if I want a cheap break away and my allowance is used up
    We will agree to disagree. I never had holidays growing up, hardly ever a trip to the beach. My mother brought four of us up on her own and there was certainly no money for days out. I'll be damned if I'm going to let my kids miss out on family vacations if I can afford it by going during school terms. Kids see everything. How do you think they feel when they see other kids going on vacations and they get none, simply because their family cannot afford the scandalous prices during the holiday period.
    As long as my kids are hitting their targets in school (their attendance is already exemplary) I would have no hesitation in allowing them some time off at a well chosen time of the year.
    Price up a centre parks holiday during school holidays, they are all but as expensive as a holiday abroad and it could be lashing down with rain for the whole time you are there. No thanks. You seem to be a guy who only sees in black and white in this issue. Thankfully, Huw Lewis the Education Minister for Wales doesn't share your opinion.
    Last edited by jaytip; 14th May 2016 at 14:37.

Master

Edit: quoted the wrong post.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I just meant that rules are there for the benefit of all and just becuase you believe they don't need to apply to you, they are there for the benefit of ALL.
    Are they or are they for the benefit of those who rule the sheeple.

One way of looking at it is that you sign over your kids to the State when you register their birth.
    You are subsequently obliged to look after them out of your pocket following their rules.
    That starts with vaccinations and goes on the obligation to subject them to the State approved schooling/education. Yes, I know there is home schooling as I have looked into the discouragement system coming with that and than STILL you need to pass the State exams.

Basically you are held responsible to stick to their rules without having a say in those.

Nothing you can do about it though, so adapt and be creative

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Huertecilla View Post

One way of looking at it is that you sign over your kids to the State when you register their birth.
    You are subsequently obliged to look after them out of your pocket following their rules.
    That starts with vaccinations and goes on the obligation to subject them to the State approved schooling/education. Yes, I know there is home schooling as I have looked into the discouragement system coming with that and than STILL you need to pass the State exams.

Basically you are held responsible to stick to their rules without having a say in those.

Vaccinations in UK are not compulsory. There are alternatives to State education. You do have a say in it albeit you'll need to lobby your MP and get him/her to care about it.

Blog Entries
    At our school children aren't allowed to return to the classroom until 48 hours after sickness, even if they're absolutely fine. So half of a child's absence can be down to the school not allowing them to return.
    With more than 30 yrs in front of the classroom, I can tell you that this is nonsense! It's the period before they actually staying at home that's most important when it comes to spreading a virus!

I have taken my kids out of school for the odd day or two, but, was persuaded by a comment made my little brother (a teacher) that, although it probably wouldn't do them any direct harm taking them out of school, it sends a message to your child about how much you do/ do not value education...
    ^^^ this ^^^

But.. having said that, it's up to the teachers how to spend the last day(s) before a holiday. Some of them raid the movie box, or their Netflix account and show a movie in class. Or, the day before Christmas holidays... a Christmassy breakfast with the class. Really, is that why you send your kid to school? In the past, I have been flamed by colleagues because I wouldn't accept the freewheeling style the days before the holidays.

Some Dutch schools tried to find a way out of that: allowing kids to 5 days off during the school year, but those days have to be 'earned back' during a regular holiday or bank holiday. Finland has a similar system.

Finally this: Maurice, one of my boys attends a school with (other) potential top athletes (he's a sailor). One of the school management team members is a liaison between parents & kids, the regional branch of Dutch Olympic Committee and the school teachers. My son attended a national sailing event during the Easter weekend. During the days before and after the event, there were mid term tests at his school. He went up to see the liaison-teacher and asked her for advice. She allowed him to take the test (geography) before the Easter Event, allowing him to stay at home the day after the event. That way he could take a rest, do some physical exercises and repair & maintain his boat.
    The only downside: the sports associations + the olympic committee have to point you out as a potential top athlete. When you're not, things are not so easy.

Kids in his class, have the same experience (soccer, volleyball, BMX-racing - all Olympic sports). His school very helpful with that! And school is very proud about the achievements.

Menno

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Why not tackle the issue from the opposite direction and stop the holiday companies charging higher prices in school holidays. That's where the real issue lies.
    Because capitalism.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana View Post
    There is a number of other questions / statements in your post, but let's start with this one.

Supposing it were true (which actually it isn't - the best state schools equal or out perform most if not all of the best private schools and state students tend to do better at university), but taken as a general point - why do you think private schools could achieve better results?

By the way, the widely accepted source is The Sutton Trust, quoted in this 2016 article:

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2016/02/the-best-state-schools-have-pulled-ahead-of-private-schools-why-is-that-so-hard-to-accept/

And here:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education...e-schools.html

And here's the bit about state students outperforming private at university:

http://www.suttontrust.com/newsarchi...same-a-levels/
    University results don't really matter when your buddy from school's dad is the CEO of the company you're applying to!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    We will agree to disagree.
    No problem with that at all mate, I was just giving my point of view not trying to dictate how others should live their lives! .

If other people are happy disrupting their own child's education as well as the other however many kids are in their class and the teachers who'll then have to spend extra time with their child to catch up and less with everyone elses kids but hey who cares about them right?, totally worth it becuase the parents wanted a cheap holiday then that's entirely up to them. Personally I wouldn't becuase I'm not that selfish and would value my childs education and showing them that we can't just follow the rules that suit us and igonre the ones that don't for something as trivial as a cheaper holiday. I would live within my means and do stuff with my kids that I could afford to do so in the holidays they are already given

That's maybe just my "black and white" opinion on the matter but that's how I genuinely feel about it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Huertecilla View Post

I wouldn't mind so much if people WERE paying for their kids out of their own pocket but as a tax payer I'm having to pay for them too!! I feel the very LEAST people can do is send their kids to school to get the education that I'm forced to pay for, not take them out so they can get a cheap holiday (probably paid for out of the child tax credits that guess what? my tax money pays for!!) whenever it suits them.

Quote Originally Posted by bitfield View Post
    Because capitalism.
    That's absolutely no answer, no excuse, no reason, no justification!

Exploitation like this stinks and shouldn't be tolerated!

Quote Originally Posted by pinpull View Post
    That's absolutely no answer, no excuse, no reason, no justification!

Exploitation like this stinks and shouldn't be tolerated!
    Its not tolerated by the people who choose not to pay the money, those that choose to do so under their own free will. Its a business model that will continue to work as long as there are customers, as soon as demand falls, so will prices, so yes, capitalism.

( I don't like it either but the consumer holds the key to the solution, no one else )
    Last edited by JasonM; 14th May 2016 at 16:45.

Master
    No problem with that at all mate, I was just giving my point of view not trying to dictate how others should live their lives! .

If other people are happy disrupting their own child's education as well as the other however many kids are in their class and the teachers who'll then have to spend extra time with their child to catch up and less with everyone elses kids but hey who cares about them right?, totally worth it becuase the parents wanted a cheap holiday then that's entirely up to them. Personally I wouldn't becuase I'm not that selfish and would value my childs education and showing them that we can't just follow the rules that suit us and igonre the ones that don't for something as trivial as a cheaper holiday. I would live within my means and do stuff with my kids that I could afford to do so in the holidays they are already given

That's maybe just my "black and white" opinion on the matter but that's how I genuinely feel about it.
    As I say, we'll agree to disagree.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    Its not tolerated by the people who choose not to pay the money, those that choose to do so under their own free will. Its a business model that will continue to work as long as there are customers, as soon as demand falls, so will prices, so yes, capitalism.

( I don't like it either but the consumer holds the key to the solution, no one else )
    Mostly... my point entirely!

Banned
    Blog Entries

I don't like it either but the consumer holds the key to the solution, no one else
    Well, up to a point as in this case many consumers are held over a barrel because they have kids.

The key to their choice is thrown away by the State obliging them to stick to school holidays.

The really bugging aspect is that the bona fide parents are the ones easiest to rap on the knuckles. The least so are basically untouchable because the alternative is child services taking over parenting which is rather costly.

We are called to school if there is a dot failing on an i but when repeating gitano kids stay home for a week or two that is seen as a relief from their disruptive behavior.

Why not tackle the issue from the opposite direction and stop the holiday companies charging higher prices in school holidays. That's where the real issue lies.

Paul
    Indeed - I said this two pages ago!

Indeed - I said this two pages ago!
    And how would you do that exactly?

And how would you do that exactly?
    It'd be interesting to hear, for sure!

Maybe we could have a word with ISIS about world peace, too!

M

Craftsman
    Here's an idea.....
    Each school should take all inset days in one stretch, allowing every school to have a extra week off during any period within the school year allowing children the chance to go away when other schools are still in term and hopefully paying in term hotel prices.

I guess inset days in one hit won't work for teachers.
    And many parents would complain about an extra week of child care.

Ok bad idea.

Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    (...)Some Dutch schools tried to find a way out of that: allowing kids to 5 days off during the school year, but those days have to be 'earned back' during a regular holiday or bank holiday. Finland has a similar system.(...)
    I have no knowledge of such system being in use in Finland.

Here every municipality can within some boundaries decide how to allocate the yearly school days. Basically this means that the usual holiday week in autumn and the other holiday week in early spring are nationally spread out over two or three weeks both. As for off-season holidays, the accountable teacher can authorise up to a week of absence, headmaster can authorise longer periods.

Paul
    I suspect that would lead to a fortnight in March or October being priced at the same level as August, rather than actually reducing the cost at peak times.
    ______

​Jim.

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    It'd be interesting to hear, for sure!

Maybe we could have a word with ISIS about world peace, too!

M
    I don't know, it's not down to me to solve, I'm simply flagging where I see the problem, like many others are. Are you disagreeing with me or do you feel that the travel companies are not at fault and are justified in hiking prices in this way, and that it is not a factor in this whole issue?

This blatant overpricing affects everyone who might want to take a holiday during the school holiday periods, not just parents and their kids, so the knock on affect of that is particularly disagreeable to the rest of us!

There is a monopolies commission which may be a stepping stone to addressing the issue.

So, I'd like to hear your take on the issue, and your solution...?
    Last edited by pinpull; 14th May 2016 at 18:48.

Master
    I think there should be a credit system, so that so many flexible holiday days are awarded per pupil based on their attendance at school. At the same time, the sanctions for taking children out of school without the required credit should be made more severe. That would give some parents who lack it a bit of motivation for seeing that their kids do actually turn up at school. Most parents don't lack said motivation, I'm sure.

I don't know, it's not down to me to solve, I'm simply flagging where I see the problem, like many others are. Are you disagreeing with me or do you feel that the travel companies are not at fault and are justified in hiking prices in this way, and that it is not a factor in this whole issue?

This blatant overpricing affects everyone who might want to take a holiday during the school holiday periods, not just parents and their kids, so the knock on affect of that is particularly disagreeable to the rest of us!

There is a monopolies commission which may be a stepping stone to addressing the issue.

Er, what monopoly? Or cartel, come to that?

That guy Platt was an odious little turd. He had all the swaggering, self righteousness of a small man who'd found a loophole.

They are a business and so are justified to charge what they like, if people are willing to pay inflated prices in holiday times they will charge those prices. Are they exploiting the timetable, of course, but as I keep saying, don't like it, don't pay, they will adjust when they don't get the business, why would they if they don't need to?
    We as a family haven't been abroad in 3 years due to costs, I choose not to go and holiday in the Uk. Actually, it's not just the holiday companies, the whole holiday industry is the same, from B and Bs to holiday lets to caravan parks.
    Last edited by JasonM; 14th May 2016 at 19:23.

Quote Originally Posted by draftsmann View Post
    Er, what monopoly? Or cartel, come to that?
    Sorry, my bad for suggesting that. Of course all the travel companies act completely independently, just like the oil companies. There is no governing body.

Sorry, my bad for suggesting that. Of course all the travel companies act completely independently, just like the oil companies. There is no governing body.
    Most professions, trades and industries have one or more of those. What's the relevance?

Most professions, trades and industries have one or more of those. What's the relevance?
    Pardon my naivety, I assumed some pressure could be applied by government. You obviously know more than me - what can be done?

Pardon my naivety, I assumed some pressure could be applied by government. You obviously know more than me - what can be done?
    I'm an Anglo-Maltese dual national. Within living memory the Maltese government controlled or attempted to control the markets for a number of things, although in practice the free market often found ways to prevail, via loopholes or simple noncompliance. So yes, I do know a little about the subject. As this is G&D I don't want to get into a political debate. All I will say is, be careful what you wish for.

I'm an Anglo-Maltese dual national. Within living memory the Maltese government controlled or attempted to control the markets for a number of things, although in practice the free market often found ways to prevail, via loopholes or simple noncompliance. So yes, I do know a little about the subject. As this is G&D I don't want to get into a political debate. All I will say is, be careful what you wish for.
    Fair enough. I'm not suggesting government control only intervention on what appears to me (and others) as an unfair and punitive practice that makes life very uncomfortable for everyone to the point whereby the law is flouted by those affected most.

Master
    How's the UK government going to influence what hotels in other countries charge?

Quote Originally Posted by sean View Post
    I'd like to think I know what's best for my kid, and don't want the ability to make that decision taken out of my hands just because there are some parents who don't know what's best for their kids.
    I don't doubt what you say but there's probably thousands of parents up and down the country who think and say the same thing yet their actions would probably demonstrate otherwise. Standards in modern society have eroded considerably and, logically, you have to lay the blame at the feet of many parents for the way they raise their children for that.

For me, I think many parents want it all. They want kids but don't want to sacrifice their lifestyle. They still want holidays but, because of the extra costs involved in holiday time, start thinking about taking their kids on holiday outside term time. Everyone knows these days that holidays are more expensive in school holiday periods so, if you have kids and want holidays, then that's the price you pay. Taking your kids out of school for a holiday is rarely because it's best for the kids but because it's best for the parents.

The fella has got his 15 minutes of fame.

What you see isn't a cartel it's market forces. Try booking a small guest house in Greece in September and in August.

The prices will be substantially different, it's not some big business conspiracy, it's supply and demand...

M

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

A holiday is not a basic human right.

It galls (and costs) me. But I would think long and hard before taking my kids out of school to go somewhere warmer.

Sent from the top of a hill using semaphore.
    "Bite my shiny metal ass."
    - Bender Bending Rodríguez