closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches



TZ-UK Fundraiser
Results 1 to 48 of 48

Thread: Sunny day = leather strap! (Rolex content)

  1. #1
    Master
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Northern Ireland
    Posts
    4,933

    Sunny day = leather strap! (Rolex content)

    Not often we get two sunny days in a row in N Ireland, so I swapped out the bracelet for a vintage leather. Won't be everyone's cup of tea but I like it, and that's the important bit :-)


  2. #2
    Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    uk
    Posts
    1,919
    Lovely jubbly, mine says howdy!


  3. #3
    Grand Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    hull
    Posts
    12,685
    looking good
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!



  4. #4
    They both look great Ryan & Bob!

  5. #5
    Master
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Northern Ireland
    Posts
    4,933
    Lovely piece Bob!

  6. #6
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Central Scotland
    Posts
    992
    Looks good!

    Not a Rolex but still a vintage watch on a leather strap, in the sun!




  7. #7
    Not for me, I am afraid.
    Enjoy the sun.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Not for me, I am afraid.
    Enjoy the sun.

  8. #8
    Grand Master learningtofly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Everywhere & nowhere, baby
    Posts
    29,345
    How about a NATO?


  9. #9
    That's more like it - the nato I mean.

  10. #10
    Master
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Northern Ireland
    Posts
    4,933
    I find they become a little too top heavy on leather NATOs Tony, on my girls wrists at least.

  11. #11
    Grand Master learningtofly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Everywhere & nowhere, baby
    Posts
    29,345
    Quote Originally Posted by demonloop View Post
    I find they become a little too top heavy on leather NATOs Tony, on my girls wrists at least.
    Not had that problem with the 5513, although in one or two others I've found tha to be the case (my B-1 in particular). I wear this on a nylon Zulu a lot, actually.

    I like your strap, by the way
    Last edited by learningtofly; 11th May 2016 at 21:19.

  12. #12
    Master murkeywaters's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Near the sea
    Posts
    3,484
    Most subs of the vintage era work very well on the right leather..

    A nice aged lume, matching hands with faded dial on a 5513 with high quality caramel leather just oozes class and looks great on the wrist - shame I haven't got one

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Slevin Kelevra View Post
    Looks good!

    Not a Rolex but still a vintage watch on a leather strap, in the sun!




    Nice watch Slevin!

  14. #14
    Master
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Yorkshire
    Posts
    3,157
    The right leather strap can really set a watch off a treat but some just look hideous. None of those here.

    For me there are too many black watches such as subs and Speedies on light straps and the contrast is too much. However black straps are too much the other way so a balance needs to be found.

    I'd liken it to wearing a suit. It's difficult to look bad in a suit but then there's a leap to looking exceptional, and it's about the combination of suit, shirt, tie, pocket square, belt and shoes. Here's an example:

    Not bad


    Exceptional


    For me with these style of watches they need something that brings out their vintage essence and links well with the blackness. Therefore there need to be black tones in the strap to provide the connection.

    I'm a big fan of Bulang straps and have my sub on one and my 3570 on another. Not great photography but here they are. Fantastic quality straps, although I'm not claiming they're as fetching as some of the looks achieved by the costume team for Hannibal:




  15. #15
    Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Stockton, Teesside, UK
    Posts
    1,078
    A leather strap on a Sub is great in principle (apart from the oddity of a not-a-good-idea-to-get-wet strap on a Diver's watch), but, for me, in black, not brown...

  16. #16
    Grand Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    London
    Posts
    15,021
    Blog Entries
    2
    I really like the bulang straps. Iirc they're the same supplier as jedly?
    Im debating it as my wrists expand in heat and then bracelets annoy me, so as far as I'm concerned any inspiration is gratefully received.

  17. #17
    Master
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Yorkshire
    Posts
    3,157
    Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    any inspiration is gratefully received.
    Here's some inspiration verv

    https://bulangandsons.com/product-ca...buckle-straps/

    I enjoy browsing the Bulang site. Considering they've only been round a few years they've, for me, positioned themselves perfectly for the WIS who enjoy their vintage Omega and Rolex watches. Some good photography and also come interesting and quirky packages for watches available. For example they currently have a vintage Rolex alongside a vintage bike for sale. Who would have thunk it.

  18. #18
    Master
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    2,028
    Sunny day = canvas strap



    Yay or nay?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  19. #19
    Grand Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Mostly Germany
    Posts
    17,392
    Quote Originally Posted by Schofie View Post
    Exceptional

    Some might say - including me - that that looks chaotic. There's no accounting for taste, but nor is it a benchmark!

    I find vintage-y straps look good on things like fliegers, and that really thick, non-tapering ones tend to overwhelm anything small - even mid-sized (by today's standards) such as old Rolex Subs and Explorers. YMMV.
    Last edited by andrew; 12th May 2016 at 18:24.
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    I really like the bulang straps. Iirc they're the same supplier as jedly?
    Im debating it as my wrists expand in heat and then bracelets annoy me, so as far as I'm concerned any inspiration is gratefully received.
    Normally B&S straps are made by JPM which are great quality, I have a few and a belt.. ;@)

  21. #21
    Master
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Yorkshire
    Posts
    3,157
    Quote Originally Posted by andrew View Post
    Some might say - including me - that that looks chaotic
    Absolutely there's a lot going on, but the reason I chose this as an example is because of how the same blue tone is seen throughout the suit, shirt and tie and then the same brown tone through the suit, tie and pocket square. Everything has been thoughtfully coordinated.

    For me watch straps require the same attention to get really right, not just ok.

    But of course as you say it's then all down to taste, so I'm now off to put my sub on a pink canvas

  22. #22
    Master
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    3,173
    Quote Originally Posted by Deckard81 View Post
    Sunny day = canvas strap



    Yay or nay?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That looks absolutely fantastic.

  23. #23
    Grand Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    London
    Posts
    15,021
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Snoodles View Post
    Normally B&S straps are made by JPM which are great quality, I have a few and a belt.. ;@)
    Are they thick enough to deal with a sea dweller? I thought that the cordovan Jed one made the sd a little top heavy as it was a finer strap.. Most likely cos it was never supposed to go on a lump!

  24. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    I really like the bulang straps. Iirc they're the same supplier as jedly?
    Im debating it as my wrists expand in heat and then bracelets annoy me, so as far as I'm concerned any inspiration is gratefully received.
    Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    Are they thick enough to deal with a sea dweller? I thought that the cordovan Jed one made the sd a little top heavy as it was a finer strap.. Most likely cos it was never supposed to go on a lump!
    Yes they are thicker C than Jeds, the ones I have are not Horween Shell but vintage leather..

  25. #25
    Grand Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    London
    Posts
    15,021
    Blog Entries
    2
    Superb. I'll get one ordered after I finish procrastinating over colour.

  26. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    Superb. I'll get one ordered after I finish procrastinating over colour.
    Let me know if you want to try before you buy, can send you one on loan, what colour you after....?

  27. #27
    Grand Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    London
    Posts
    15,021
    Blog Entries
    2
    Charcoal, dark brown or tobacco are the three I'm umming over. I'll ping you over a mail :-)

  28. #28
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Central Scotland
    Posts
    992
    Quote Originally Posted by lambros View Post
    Nice watch Slevin!
    Cheers!

  29. #29
    Master Neilw3030's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Exeter, Devon, UK
    Posts
    3,653
    I am just not a fan of leather nato`s really, can live with multi coloured nylon just. The whole vintage thing doesnt work for me either.
    I do like the blue canvas strap on the sub, i have a red suede i some times wear but it is tapered and i feel its a bit narrow for my taste really.

  30. #30
    Master
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    2,028
    Quote Originally Posted by Neilw3030 View Post
    I am just not a fan of leather nato`s really, can live with multi coloured nylon just. The whole vintage thing doesnt work for me either.
    I do like the blue canvas strap on the sub, i have a red suede i some times wear but it is tapered and i feel its a bit narrow for my taste really.
    What blue canvas strap on a sub?

  31. #31
    Apprentice
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    North West
    Posts
    22
    I have also been trying leather straps in the last few weeks. As mentioned above I am thinking of trying a darker leather strap with my Submariner (16610) similar to photographs shown above.

    I have recently tried a leather strap on the Exp 2 (see below):




    I am still not sure as it does make the watch a little top heavy. I might also look into a canvas strap as the gmt shown above looks superb!

  32. #32
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    SW London
    Posts
    144
    Speedmaster on tan leather looks great.

  33. #33
    Master sweets's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Bristol - UK
    Posts
    4,063
    Sunny day leather? I agree totally.
    But when it is really hot you need Perlon.
    All sorts of comfy breathability.



    Dave

  34. #34
    Master TakesALickin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Indianapolis, USA
    Posts
    2,343
    I wanted that cracked, vintage leather look but didn't want to pay top money so I found this one at Alpha (I know, I know). Surprisingly well made and only about 12.


  35. #35
    Master
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Northern Ireland
    Posts
    4,933
    ^^ That works really well imo

  36. #36
    Master
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Yorkshire
    Posts
    3,157
    Quote Originally Posted by Regular View Post
    Speedmaster on tan leather looks great.
    I have to disagree on that one. For me it's one of those combinations that looks ok but the contrast between the tan leather and copious amounts of black on the watch is too much.

    Love that cracked leather.

  37. #37
    Master Neilw3030's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Exeter, Devon, UK
    Posts
    3,653
    Quote Originally Posted by Deckard81 View Post
    What blue canvas strap on a sub?
    Yea ok, just noticed it's a gmt, oops

  38. #38
    Master
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    2,028
    I thought I'll post here instead of starting a new thread.
    I'm after a blue leather strap for my BLNR. Has anyone tried it? I'm likely to get mine from Jean Rousseau, can someone give me an idea of measurements?
    Thanks a lot.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  39. #39
    Craftsman JoePattinson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Beijing, China
    Posts
    427
    It was sunny earlier, honestly!

    I just put my Tudor Black Bay Black on a Bulang and I really am pleased with it.




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  40. #40
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Central Scotland
    Posts
    992
    Quote Originally Posted by JoePattinson View Post
    It was sunny earlier, honestly!

    I just put my Tudor Black Bay Black on a Bulang and I really am pleased with it.




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Looks smart!

  41. #41
    Apprentice
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    framlingham
    Posts
    37
    Quote Originally Posted by Slevin Kelevra View Post
    Looks good!

    Not a Rolex but still a vintage watch on a leather strap, in the sun!



    really lovely where did you find it ?

  42. #42
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Central Scotland
    Posts
    992
    Quote Originally Posted by tunky1996 View Post
    really lovely where did you find it ?

    Thanks for the kind words.

    I took a liking to these so called poor man heuers but finding one in nice condition proved far harder than I would have liked. Then after searching for a good few months, I had the chance of two at the same time. I bought both and kept this one as it was in great overall condition.

    I picked it up from James at Balance Assembly in the States.

  43. #43
    Master geran's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    West Yorkshire
    Posts
    1,114
    Straps look great on a lot of the watches I see on here, leather, rubber nato etc they just look crap on me, I've tried many times on different watches I just don't like the feel of a strap, back on a bracelet they go.
    I did perceiver for a month or so with my Tuna on a rubber strap, though this is now back on a bracelet.

  44. #44
    Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Lincolnshire (UK)
    Posts
    1,293
    For ages I thought stainless/'usually on bracelet' watches looked awful on nato/canvas/rubber/leather.

    Then I got my 1680 and 16660 - the 1680 has most been on Natos - but now (for a bit of a change) is back on it's original bracelet.

    My '666 has had the odd nato on it - but has mostly been on gasgasbones zero zero velcro thingies. And I really like it that way. In fact I wish he was still producing straps,because I'd like a couple of replacements. I find them very comfy - but appreciate the look is marmite.

    But now this thread has just about persuaded me, I 'need' a 'vintage'/aged leather strap too. Will mostly be for the '666, but I guess I can swap it onto the 1680 occasionally. Now....tan or more chocolate brown? think I prefer more brown tbh.

    And before I go off to wotancraft - anyone got one they wanna sell me? :)

  45. #45
    Normally, on a sunny day, I go for the cool feeling of a bracelet on my wrist, to be honest....
    But then I ordered this - a Simona Di Stefano Bruno Allegrini strap. It is so soft, apparently waterproof and really comfortable to wear. It ought to be, as they are not cheap!

    Mike


  46. #46
    Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    uk
    Posts
    1,919
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomw2000 View Post
    For ages I thought stainless/'usually on bracelet' watches looked awful on nato/canvas/rubber/leather.

    Then I got my 1680 and 16660 - the 1680 has most been on Natos - but now (for a bit of a change) is back on it's original bracelet.

    My '666 has had the odd nato on it - but has mostly been on gasgasbones zero zero velcro thingies. And I really like it that way. In fact I wish he was still producing straps,because I'd like a couple of replacements. I find them very comfy - but appreciate the look is marmite.

    But now this thread has just about persuaded me, I 'need' a 'vintage'/aged leather strap too. Will mostly be for the '666, but I guess I can swap it onto the 1680 occasionally. Now....tan or more chocolate brown? think I prefer more brown tbh.

    And before I go off to wotancraft - anyone got one they wanna sell me? :)
    Sean or forum name Gobo hand makes vintage leather straps, I think mine was about 30 or so and its brilliant, drop him a PM.

  47. #47
    Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Lincolnshire (UK)
    Posts
    1,293
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdog View Post
    Sean or forum name Gobo hand makes vintage leather straps, I think mine was about 30 or so and its brilliant, drop him a PM.
    thanks for that :)

  48. #48
    Quote Originally Posted by MrGrumpy View Post
    A leather strap on a Sub is great in principle (apart from the oddity of a not-a-good-idea-to-get-wet strap on a Diver's watch), but, for me, in black, not brown...
    We're talking vintage Rolex here. Unlikely anybody has any inclination to get theirs wet.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Do Not Sell My Personal Information