closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Where would you like to live in the UK given the choice?

Master

Where would you like to live in the UK given the choice?

I live in London because the Mrs. was born here and loves the vibrancy. If I had the choice you wouldn't see me within the M25 ever again.
    Quite fancy Wimborne Minster- reasonable shops inc. Waitrose and well placed with Poole, Bournemouth, Dorchester and Shaftesbury within easy reach. We visit from time to time.
    A village wouldn't suit either - not enough happening and too much tittle tattle.
    Born in Bath, another lovely place too.
    Maybe one day!!

I choose Bath, amazing city.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Really difficult question as there is so much choice. I'm Midlands born and bred and I really like it where we live in between Leicester and Derby in a market town. Not a fan of big cities (too many people and by that I mean idiots) but both the wife and I like Edinburgh, it has a town feel to me. Best of both worlds is needed really, a nice large village with good pubs and restaurants, nice countryside and a short ride to a city when you want something more. I'm a fan of Melborne.

Blog Entries
    Since you ask, just one residence isn't enough in my opinion! ;-)

London is fantastic and, assuming I am living in the UK at all, I would never like to be without a London residence, preferably in the Hampstead area (ideally and specifically in the hamlet of North End located between Golders Green and Whitestone Pond) or perhaps in south west London around Richmond or Kingston.

A house in the country would appeal, possibly in one of the delightful villages in Surrey. The wooded countryside of Surrey is lovely.

Going slightly further afield, I lived for a time in south Wales and I miss the area, particularly the combination of closeness to decent amenities versus relatively wild areas nearby. Also getting to London is quite quick and easy. So a residence on the Gower Peninsular, or perhaps to the north west of the Valleys (e.g. anywhere from Resolven to Pontardawe to Ammanford), or perhaps in one of the Valleys (e.g. Llynfi or Afan).

There are so many places to choose from, all very different from one another.

Guernsey. We have a 3 yr old and a 3 month old and can't think of anywhere less stressful and beautiful to let them grow up.

I'm sure however, they would be bored stiff (when they get older).
    Last edited by Paddy!; 4th May 2016 at 06:47. Reason: Clarification

Probably up around the lakes or somewhere between Devon and Cornwall. You can get some pretty amazing properties in Cornwall for 300K I should know as the missus looks weekly- perhaps she's planning a move.

Master
    Where I live now is stunning and close enough to Leeds to be able to take advantage of being near a city.

Where I used to live is also stunning. Checkout the Hale area which is next to Altrincham in Cheshire. Leafy area, award winning market in Altrincham and only half an hour away from the centre of Manchester.

Actually happy in Darlington, although one of the many beautiful villages in the surrounding areas appeals. Hutton Rudby is a choice.
    We are a quick ride from the Lakes, Yorkshire Dales, and the coast.

I fantasise about living in the Dales, but in reality I wouldn't be able to cope with all that rain. And would spend too much time in the cosy pub I would inevitably choose to live near.

Master
    I was about to say the same thing! As soon as the kids have buggered off we will be moving there.

Quote Originally Posted by Billyloves2boogie View Post

Quite happy where I am in Tunbridge Wells. The coast is a short drive away, London is a short train ride away, the town is big enough to have all the shops and amenities you need, and I only have to drive or cycle a mile from the house and I'm in proper countryside.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Schofie View Post
    Where I used to live is also stunning. Checkout the Hale area which is next to Altrincham in Cheshire. Leafy area, award winning market in Altrincham and only half an hour away from the centre of Manchester.
    Shh! Don't mention the great schools, train/tram links, motorways and 5 mins from airport. Restaurants and bars, local shops. Close to countryside etc. Topped off by bonkers house prices.

Having been lucky to live in the Lake district and rural Northumberland, id say i'd move back to the lakes in a heart beat. i now live in a very rural part of the scottish borders with the nearest large town being Dumfries(which is a hole of place), such is life. if nearer my retirement age and if i have the means and money. i'd probably buy a small coastal cottage somewhere very north on one of the western isles.... as you can tell, I'm really not a people person.

Kensington for me.

I grew up there, in my opinion it has the perfect mix of green open spaces, restaurants and pubs. (for a city that is) I prefer city living. I just need to work out how to finance it!

I love the countryside but I like the ability to choose what to do at a drop of a hat without having to plan in advance. My family have a house in Connemara Ireland, its great for a get away, but the nearest neighbour is about a mile away and the nearest supermarket is 18! Getting in the car for Milk or bread gets tedious after a week or so.

The city is the place for me.

Barmouth, North Wales.

Such a lovely place.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    Actually happy in Darlington, although one of the many beautiful villages in the surrounding areas appeals. Hutton Rudby is a choice.
    We are a quick ride from the Lakes, Yorkshire Dales, and the coast.
    Agree with this, moved up from Slough back in 2008 and loved it up there, living out in the sticks between 2 villages, but town is only a few mins away. Lakes, Dales, Moors and coast all a stones throw away. Work was no problem for me.
    Unfortunately, wife made us move back to Slough last year, not so great, hopefully get back up north one day.

Brighty

I'd like to live in Steep, near Petersfield. It has nothing whatsoever to do with the pub being my favourite in the country (although I could also happily live between Brassington and Kirk Ireton).
    "A man of little significance"

Master

Cool

Petersham,near Richmond.Lived there for two years in early nineties and loved it.

Master
    We're pretty close actually, my perfect location is somewhere in the sticks on the downs somewhere North of Chichester. The west country appeals but I like being within easy travelling distance of London.

I recently visited Newcastle* for the first time. i was only there 24 hours but it seems like a great city if city living is your thing.

*On Tyne not Under Lyme of course, the last time I was in the latter, well...

Master
    Blog Entries
    At the minute, Ruislip in Middlesex. Good local schools and transport links to London.

When the kids have all grown up, I'd like to sell up, keep a smaller property there as a base and move down to Charmouth in Dorset.

At least, that's the plan this week!

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    Getting in the car for Milk or bread gets tedious after a week or so.
    You need to check out the local pubs. My sister lived between Kells and Oldcastle for a number of years and one of the local hostelries was also a grocers. It was immensely civilised being able to pick up eggs, bacon, sausages, milk and bread at last orders; the main challenge was not stickling it all in the frying pan when you got home from the pub. I think it was called Traynors.

The original question is a tricky one to answer - in London it would be East Twickenham or Petersham. Otherwise I've had many pleasant holidays in Suffolk between Orford and Southwold. The North Antrim coast is stunning.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave O'Sullivan View Post
    At the minute, Ruislip in Middlesex. Good local schools and transport links to London.
    You know that Ruislip is in London and that Middlesex ceased to exist in 1965, right?

First twenty years of my life was spent in Newcastle upon Tyne, a city I love, and the rest of it so far, forty years in rural Hampshire. I would love two houses/homes but finances will never allow that sadly.

Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    You know that Ruislip is in London and that Middlesex ceased to exist in 1965, right?
    Nooooo! Tell me it isn't true.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Its far enough away from the centre for me though!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post
    Nooooo! Tell me it isn't true.
    Royal Mail occasionally seems uncertain.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave O'Sullivan View Post
    Its far enough away from the centre for me though!
    :-)

I'd quite like to live somewhere around Plymouth (as the countryside is nice and there's diving on both the north and south coasts within easy reach), although I like the Bournemouth/Poole/Wimborne areas as I was bought up in the Ferndown area and still think of it as home, although I'm less keen on Bournemouth these days, it's become a bit of a London overflow, like Brighton.

Needless to say, I don't live in either location

M
    Last edited by snowman; 4th May 2016 at 09:31.

Master
    Currently live a couple of miles away from Lulworth Cove down on the Dorset coast, if I had a choice I'd love to either move back to Devon where I was born, it has the magical ability that once I cross over the border in to Devon I magically relax it would either be somewhere near Sidmouth or on Dartmoor through choice.
    The other location I'd happily move to is Northumberland I spend a fair bit of time up that way each year working, I'd move up there tomorrow but the wife and kids aren't keen although the wife could easily get a job up there and I could more than double my current salary with a job offer that's always open to me.

In reality Hampshire is a likely destination somewhere around Romsey and Southampton to be closer to the wife's work.

Winchester - Voted best place to live in the UK in a recent national review

Master
    Blog Entries
    where ever has the least amount of precipitation.

Quote Originally Posted by Billyloves2boogie View Post

I thought that, until I did it. It is an amazing city, perhaps the most beautiful in the UK, so when I was working in Bristol it was, I thought, a heaven-sent opportunity to be able to live in Bath. I rented a magnificent flat which was the entire ground floor of Georgian, gentleman's townhouse 5 minutes walk from the city centre.

Well first off, the traffic is (or was) appalling, the road between Bath and Bristol turns into a 9 mile long car park each morning and night and the city centre is (or was) permanently clogged. The people are particularly unfriendly (affecting to be suddenly preoccupied with a piece of fluff on their sleeve so as not to have to say 'hello') dare I say like Londoners.

Their is a lot of crime - pickpockets, car joyriding - due to scrotes from the council estates around the city outskirts. The climate is damp, what they call 'unhealthful' on US weather forecasts.

So after 6 months I moved to Tetbury in Gloucestershire, which is a wonderful part of the UK - the Cotswolds are perhaps not as dramatic as the The Lakes or The Pennines, but truly lovely on a summer's day - especially the small towns - Stow on the Wold, Bibury, Moreton in Marsh, Chipping Campden: the bigger towns too are very elegant and human-sized - Cheltenham and Cirencester.

Which means that if I ever move back to the UK that is where I would settle. And I could still visit Bath easily, but just for the day!

Thomas Reid
    Between Christmas and Easter, we sold our house in Birmingham, bought a house in Oxford, and moved. We are still trying to get things sorted out. (One reason I haven't been posting very much.) My wife very much wants to retire in Oxford, and I want to be where she is, so, Oxford, I think. One immediate advantage is that the house is less than a 10 minute bicycle ride away from work for me, although a bit further for my wife, as she works in Nottingham.

Best wishes,
    Bob

PS I had had a large room as a study/watchmaking place. This time I got a (much) smaller room, and my wife got the larger, airier one. However, I had permission to fix it up as I liked. So, instead of a carpet, I put in (light coloured) cork flooring (easier to find stuff on it, but a pain to install), and built in a workbench. I am only now getting around to sorting out storage, etc.
    RLF
    Last edited by rfrazier; 4th May 2016 at 10:06.

London if my budget ran to a postcode containing both a "W" and a "3", otherwise Mullion, Cornwall

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SimonK View Post
    The people are particularly unfriendly (affecting to be suddenly preoccupied with a piece of fluff on their sleeve so as not to have to say 'hello') dare I say like Londoners.
    Oi, Londoners don't need to find an excuse to ignore you! ;-)

Actually, Londoners are quite friendly ime but just don't go out of their way to interact.

Anywhere outside the M25. The more British Isles-central the better.
    I love the place and the more I can travel round to truly appreciate it the better.

Quote Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
    Shh! Don't mention the great schools, train/tram links, motorways and 5 mins from airport. Restaurants and bars, local shops. Close to countryside etc. Topped off by bonkers house prices.
    We live in Sandbach which is a bit cheaper on the housing front but still has access to all that great other stuff. 40min to Manchester on the train; 25 min to Manchester airport! Superb schools too and great developing music scene. South Cheshire is lovely too.

I'm happy in York.

• A beautiful historic City

• Surrounded by nice villages with some great pubs

•*North York Moors, Yorkshire Dales and Howardian Hills on the doorstep

• The coast an hour away, the lakes in under two hours

• By train - York to Kings Cross in 2 hours, York to Edinburgh in 2 hours.

A holiday home in Cornwall would be nice though.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by senraw View Post
    Barmouth, North Wales.

Such a lovely place.
    Grew up nearby. Idyllic lifestyle but never had to earn a living there.

Born and raised in Chelsea. Mum still lives there but i can't afford to :D

But could happily live in Chelsea. If not i'd love to live in the middle of Soho.

Quote Originally Posted by SimonK View Post

<<I choose Bath, amazing city. >>

I thought that, until I did it. It is an amazing city, perhaps the most beautiful in the UK, so when I was working in Bristol it was, I thought, a heaven-sent opportunity to be able to live in Bath. I rented a magnificent flat which was the entire ground floor of Georgian, gentleman's townhouse 5 minutes walk from the city centre.

Well first off, the traffic is (or was) appalling, the road between Bath and Bristol turns into a 9 mile long car park each morning and night and the city centre is (or was) permanently clogged. The people are particularly unfriendly (affecting to be suddenly preoccupied with a piece of fluff on their sleeve so as not to have to say 'hello') dare I say like Londoners.

Their is a lot of crime - pickpockets, car joyriding - due to scrotes from the council estates around the city outskirts. The climate is damp, what they call 'unhealthful' on US weather forecasts.

So after 6 months I moved to Tetbury in Gloucestershire, which is a wonderful part of the UK - the Cotswolds are perhaps not as dramatic as the The Lakes or The Pennines, but truly lovely on a summer's day - especially the small towns - Stow on the Wold, Bibury, Moreton in Marsh, Chipping Campden: the bigger towns too are very elegant and human-sized - Cheltenham and Cirencester.

Which means that if I ever move back to the UK that is where I would settle. And I could still visit Bath easily, but just for the day!
    About 20 years ago I was working in Bath in the property business. At that time, there were waves of people moving out of London, cashing in the relatively vast value of houses in Clapham and the like with the idea of buying a period property in Bath and commuting back into Paddington. None of the instances that I kept in touch with lasted more than 2 or 3 years.

The supposition on the part of outsiders is often that Bath is a grand metropolitan environment - a small slice of London even. Something about the stunning architecture camouflages the reality.

I had moved back to the city since it is only a couple of miles from where I was brought up and still have lots of family living. Seeing how often that helped me, also constantly reminded me how difficult it is for somebody from outside to move there and make any headway at all in business or socially.

It is in fact a very parochial market town with nice architecture and a whopping great tourist business stuck on top - but basically its the kind of place where things happen within a very tight circle. Bristol is by comparison much less of a bear pit – but even then I admire anyone who can settle there with a family and a job and not feel that they are an outsider for at least the first 20 odd years.

I also lived in Tetbury for a couple of years and regret to say that it was one of the few places I really celebrated leaving, but I think that was more to do with my circumstance than any fault of the town.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post
    You need to check out the local pubs..
    Ohhhh I am well acquainted with the hostelries of Galway... the week before last I approached 50 pints in 6 days. My local Keane's also has a shop attached to the bar as do most in that part of the world, the trouble is Keane's is a mile and half away, so its not a 'quick pop to the shops' you have to have a pint to make the journey worth it.
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 4th May 2016 at 12:37.

Quote Originally Posted by marcus fenix View Post
    Quite happy where I am in Tunbridge Wells. The coast is a short drive away, London is a short train ride away, the town is big enough to have all the shops and amenities you need, and I only have to drive or cycle a mile from the house and I'm in proper countryside.
    Like you, I'm quite happy where I am about 25 miles south of you. Five minutes from the beach but living in open countryside. Eastbourne or Bexhill are about fifteen minutes away, Brighton about 20 minutes by train or Tunbridge Wells 45 minutes by car.

All in all, I'm pretty happy here but if I was on my own I'd probably move back to Yorkshire.

Master
    Since you ask, just one residence isn't enough in my opinion! ;-)

London is fantastic and, assuming I am living in the UK at all, I would never like to be without a London residence, preferably in the Hampstead area (ideally and specifically in the hamlet of North End located between Golders Green and Whitestone Pond) or perhaps in south west London around Richmond or Kingston.

A house in the country would appeal, possibly in one of the delightful villages in Surrey. The wooded countryside of Surrey is lovely.

Going slightly further afield, I lived for a time in south Wales and I miss the area, particularly the combination of closeness to decent amenities versus relatively wild areas nearby. Also getting to London is quite quick and easy. So a residence on the Gower Peninsular, or perhaps to the north west of the Valleys (e.g. anywhere from Resolven to Pontardawe to Ammanford), or perhaps in one of the Valleys (e.g. Llynfi or Afan).

There are so many places to choose from, all very different from one another.
    You really don't want to live in the Llynfi valley these days. There's nothing here.

Master
    I'm quite happy in the small town of Cleveleys, Lancashire where I live, but I would love to live up in the Scottish Highlands, somewhere like Ullapool.

Love where we live in a village in the Test Valley. Great countryside for walking and cycling, close to Winchester, close to New Forest and under an hour to London and Bournemouth coastline.

Master
    More than happy where we live in Warwickshire. If I had to move, either the Cotswolds or Norfolk/Suffolk would be my preferences.

Wherever is the warmest and has the least rainfall.

I had this conversation with myself twenty years ago, which is why I currently live in the peace and quiet of North Devon. Luckily enough I have had a job that enables me to live wherever I like, so happily moved away from the hustle of North Kent where I was born .... Mind you, we are so lucky in this country to have a plethora of beautiful places in which to live and even visiting most of them to enjoy them isn't really that difficult.

I don't mind it where we live at present in Surrey.

If I had more money I think it would still be a nice place to live, except I would be in a mansion.

If I were a bit younger living in town would appeal, South Ken, SW3-ish.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

I live in Thailand, but have a house in the Lambourn valley, which is part of designated area of outstanding natural beauty and so it is. I'm retired but if I were to return to the UK to live, I would be looking at the North coast of Cornwall or Devon.