closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: SOTC - finally

Quote Originally Posted by Johnosul View Post
    Wow! Nothing more needed.
    I concur!

I was scrolling on my Tv the thread with the 3x magnifing lens active so I couldn't see what was coming next while scrolling down the page.
    Watches were passing one by one, and then all of a sudden I was like...."you got to be kidding"!
    Congratulations! Incredible collection.Terrific!

Craftsman
    Beautiful collection.

Thanks for sharing.

Master
    It's impossible to add a comment from me because they have already been said. My pick of the collection would be the F.P., it sings to me, but there are lots of horological beauties here. A fabulous collection, that's for sure.

Some beauties in your collection, very envious!

Craftsman
    Very nice collection but I would be awake into the early hours deciding on what to wear the next day

Quote Originally Posted by mark.wilo13 View Post
    I concur!
    + 1 Quite amazing

Master
    Blog Entries
    Amazing collection.

You must have some serious home security and insurance.

Master
    Stunning collection Lewis and very individual - surprised you let the AP go though....

What did it lose out to?

Quite simply - stunning

If you had to choose only one, which one would it be?

Best post ever. Well, two posts. But like the two halves of Lean's Lawrence of Arabia, the quality of the first leaves you anticipating the second, and by the end just left feeling staggered. A proper connoisseur collection, wit and style in both the watches and write-up.

Paul

And I thought I had a problem!

Moser, JLS and Lange for me. And agree about your comments on Panerai.

Never fancied a UN?

Malc

Quote Originally Posted by Dan95 View Post
    If you had to choose only one, which one would it be?
    Heh, an almost impossible question.

Probably this;

You could get away with that for just about everything. It isn't even my favourite watch (at the moment, that changes daily) but it's the most versatile.

Quote Originally Posted by GIB984 View Post
    Stunning collection Lewis and very individual - surprised you let the AP go though....

What did it lose out to?
    I had to put too much money together too quickly for the deal on the 5159. Deepsea, RO and the Breguet I got married in all had to go.

It's one of only very few genuine regrets, but it's still on the forum...

Loving your new DD Gary, stunning watch!

Quote Originally Posted by DB9yeti View Post
    … it's solid enough for a man who spends most of his time with a baby, changing nappies and crawling around the library.
    You have your own library?

I've seen a couple of your watches here and there but never the full set like this. What a feast for the eyes. I have to admit that most of the second half are not my style, but I appreciate beauty and class when I see it and this lot just oozes it.

My picks would be the Yacht-Master because I've always loved the grey version, and that red second hand just pops.

The Doxa, just because I love a Doxa

The Moser, for all the reasons you mentioned.

And I was tempted when the Girard Perregaux 'Vintage 60s' was up for sale.

But just looking at the movements of the rest is heart-stopping.

Look forward to the update in a year or two

Fascinating thread. I'm surprised (and a little bit relieved) to find I liked your cheaper pieces the best!

Thanks for getting round to posting your collection Lewis and for the write up, quite spectacular!

As previously mentioned, a UN Freak would sit nicely in there, have you ever tried one?

Master
    A stunning collection indeed. Most are not to my taste but I can admire the workmanship and designs. Excellent.

Master
    Breathtaking!

scooter

SOTC - finally

Nearing perfection there. So many watches I'd love to own. Congratulations, I hope they continue to give you years of enjoyable ownership.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    I remember when you posted about the Vacheron, I've wanted one since then. Not sure I'll have that money for a while and even if I did there's a lot of competition at that price point. Definitely inspired me to do an SOTC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lovely watches indeed. The one that really stands out for me is the Jaeger Duometre. Ridiculously "cool", for the lack of a better word. Thanks for posting!

Very impressive. Love the Nautilus - a grail of mine. If the Doxa needs a holiday I'd be happy to take it on one !

Mark

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Very nice collection Lewis. I have to admit that many of your choices would be too - dare I say it? - flashy for me personally to wear, but it's easy to admire the craftsmanship that went into them. Come to think of it 'craftsmanship' seems to be a theme in your collection. Thanks for taking the time to post this.

Master
    That's a next level collection there for sure - great to see them all together. I think I'd head towards the (relative) everyday wearability of the Daytona and the Nautilus much of the time, but I'd like to see where the others get worn - I can't help imagining a box at the Royal Opera House!

Varied fantastic collection Lewis, great SOTC and read thank you.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Super!!!!
    Thanks for sharing.
    You really nailed it with the Duometre chronograph.

Journeyman
    That's a fantastic collection you have there. Some really special watches, with the H Moser & Cie the stand out for me. Always loved that particular watch.

Master
    There needs to be a NSFW warning on the title. Truly X Rated stuff! What a collection

Journeyman
    Great collection, puts mine to shame anyway

Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    I'd like to see where the others get worn - I can't help imagining a box at the Royal Opera House!
    Honestly, anywhere and everywhere! Happy to wear any watch with anything; not wearing a croc strap in a pool or anything but you get my drift.

Craftsman
    Looking at your collection is jaw dropping !! But no IWC?

Apprentice
    A lovely collection, thank you for sharing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Wonderful collection & my favourite seems to change every few minutes.
    For the moment though I just keep coming back to the Journe.

Thanks for posting.

Quote Originally Posted by cannondale View Post
    Looking at your collection is jaw dropping !! But no IWC?
    Just sold my second Aquatimer. I sometimes consider adding a Doppelchrono back in again but I sold the last one for a reason. I know what you mean, I feel like I should have one in there. I like the last series of Ingenieur chrono, but will I pick it up instead of the Nautilus when looking at the two of them? Probably not.

Had a gorgeous 44mm Perpetual but too big. They're just not making anything I 'love'. And everything I have right now, I love.

Master
    Fantastic collection there :-)

The YM was my first considered purchase and though I sold it after 10 years, it was a great watch indeed. Slightly understated but oozes class.

Master
    Blog Entries
    . And everything I have right now, I love.
    A lovely collection, and a lovely position to be in.

Not bad

That Duometre is an incredibly complex looking movement, I could spend hours watching it! My favourite I think, for that reason, although some of the calendar/moonphases are lovely too.

The Kobold is easily confused (and I have, in the past) with Sinn's Arktis, but from your photo it's a VERY different watch, albeit with a similarly coloured dial and the same basic movement. There's a lot more detail in the watch (someone commented elsewhere that it's a 'better' watch than the Sinn and it's certainly got more work in it).

I can see why you like it so much.

No-one who's followed your ins and outs will be surprised to see such a varied and quality collection, but it's lovely to see it all together!

M.

Stunning collection and interesting write up. My favourites are the Moser, Nautilus, Daytona and the JLC Master Calendar. I prefer your version of the MC with power reserve than the current version without.

Would be interested to hear how many years of serious collecting it took to reach the current state?

Beautiful collection. That Moser is simply stunning
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Absolutely stunning collection Lewis, I sensed that you had one hell of a collection, but didn't think it was this good. Pick of the collection for me is the PP 5159G with the blue strap - what a gorgeous watch.

Craftsman
    Just sold my second Aquatimer. I sometimes consider adding a Doppelchrono back in again but I sold the last one for a reason. I know what you mean, I feel like I should have one in there. I like the last series of Ingenieur chrono, but will I pick it up instead of the Nautilus when looking at the two of them? Probably not.

Had a gorgeous 44mm Perpetual but too big. They're just not making anything I 'love'. And everything I have right now, I love.
    You have a good point, but I don't think I could part with my 3536AT they just don't make them like that anymore
    But I do like the look of the pilot Antoine de Saint exupery 387806 yet to see one in the flesh!

Quote Originally Posted by cannondale View Post
    You have a good point, but I don't think I could part with my 3536AT they just don't make them like that anymore
    Had the same watch twice and sold it twice. As cool as a diver could be but... I don't wear divers!

Shame there's no doppelchrono on the Ingenieur in a reasonable diameter (and reasonable price).

Master
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for posting the write up and pics lewis, ive been dying to see the current line up - what a line up!

Congrats on the varied current state, many bases covered. My favourite is the GO pc (very true about the quality statements) and the jlc duo, thats a very impressive watch.

Wear in good health and look forward to the evolution, please keep us in the loop

Cheers

Unbelievable collection, Lewis. I like the Yachtmaster!!

Quote Originally Posted by Thom4711 View Post
    Unbelievable collection, Lewis. I like the Yachtmaster!!
    I genuinely laughed out loud Thom :)

It's getting worn a lot, fills a vital role in my life Friday at Swimway, Tuesday at Monkey Music!

Craftsman

Great to see!

I have often thought, during my more moribund periods of watching and reading rather than posting, that our tastes are similar. Particularly for JLC. However this SOTC just shows how wrong I was, but in a good do way Lewis! Yours is diverse but intriguing! I do love the story of the Yachtmaster.

I swithered for some time between a Moser and an FPJ and drooled over the Marrone you have but ended up with an FPJ CB! Funnily enough I also have admired the Duometre series ever since they came out but now fear I may end up going down the FPJ road again with a Centigraphe.

in any event, lovely collection. Congratulations and enjoy them all. It's not about the price but the presence. My Smiths Everest is one of my favourites.

Angus

I genuinely laughed out loud Thom :) It's getting worn a lot, fills a vital role in my life Friday at Swimway, Tuesday at Monkey Music!
    I haven't bought that particular watch for a few months now! Glad you're wearing it and have given it a good (stable) home :)

Tremendous collection to share, thank you. It made me think quite a bit about what I like and what I've bought and why. The Duometre is definitely my favourite and one I'd like to own maybe one day alongside the one JLC I do have. The other really high end watches you have are beautiful and I'm glad someone owns them so I can enjoy them but reading your post I've realised that the extreme craftsmanship and artistry is not what appeals to me the most. I seem to get even more of a kick out of more down to earth watches that have been put together in a regular workshop but still show some of the personality and care of the makers. I like your Doxa Sharkhunter for that reason and I'd pick that over a 50 Fathoms even though that is a beautiful watch. Maybe that's why I like vintage which I think you've said you aren't so keen on.

Also, I'm impressed by the amount of research you seem to have done. I know you've bought and sold a lot but was there ever a plan or have you just bought what you liked at the time and just refined the collection over the years to it's apparently coherent (and fantastic) state now?