closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: I've got a moon watch - battery included!!

I've got a moon watch - battery included!!

So Beaverbrooks (London - Westfield) came through for me and I got the call today (after a 9 week wait) to say my Bulova Moon Watch Re-issue was in. Made the two hour round trip this evening and here it is:

Sorry about the rubbish photos - need to charge up my decent camera!!

I bought it without seeing one and was initially a little underwhelmed when I opened the box - then I put it on and immediately loved it - great fit, size and weight.

Master
    Looks great. I'd definitely have considered one if it wasn't so big but if you can carry it off then happy days!

Master
    Very nice. I started following the rumours about this watch back in November. Took my eye off the ball and missed out getting in touch with Beaver Brooks to book one before they sold the lot of them.

There are some elements I would have liked to be different but overall I think it's a pretty fair representation of the original. I'm glad they didn't do a fake aged lume and unlike a lot I don't have an issue with the size.

Wear it in good health. I hope to pick one up somewhere sooner or later.

Nice pick up.
    If mine could talk, it would have said Hi!
    Enjoy it.

Great watch, enjoy it !

I'm liking these a LOT! Nice watch :)

Master
    got a speedy moon and a pogue,like the look of the bulova so could be a future purchase.....

Can I ask how much this is?

Master
    £445rrp I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    Can I ask how much this is?
    Sure, £450 with strap collection or £550 with bracelet

Thanks - like the look of that one a lot.

Master
    I think it looks very classy, if a bit understated for my vulgar tastes. Price is way too much though IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by MrGrumpy View Post
    I think it looks very classy, if a bit understated for my vulgar tastes. Price is way too much though IMHO.
    Agreed, it does come at a premium compared to others in the range, but you are getting such a good back story with this watch which does add long term value I think. It should also be a little more resistant to depreciation compared to other Bulova watches!

Apprentice
    Mine says hi, bought it from Ernest Jones in Liverpool today

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ataripower View Post
    Agreed, it does come at a premium compared to others in the range, but you are getting such a good back story with this watch which does add long term value I think. It should also be a little more resistant to depreciation compared to other Bulova watches!
    I would agree, although i don't really get what they mean when they say it's not limited but it's a special edition. Or words to that effect.

Quote Originally Posted by mowflow View Post
    I would agree, although i don't really get what they mean when they say it's not limited but it's a special edition. Or words to that effect.
    So my understanding is that they have produced an initial 1,500 units but reserved the option to make more if demand is there. Whether they make more in the same package or exact same style is to be seen

Sent from my HUAWEI P8max using Tapatalk

I think there was some confusion with a change of boss at Bulova but the original 1500 are now being supplemented by a release on a bracelet and then a new run of the leather strap option starting to hit the stores in July. - just my understanding from talking to AZFinetime

They'd be stupid not to make this a regular model.

I really really like the style of this watch but, from the pics, it looks a big bugger - lug overhang etc - and that's a no-no for me...

Journeyman
    Bloody lovely, I'm sure it will be worth the wait buddy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, It must have made an impression on me.

I bought one on bracelet, flipped it, and I've just gone and bought another, this time on straps.

Lume shot: Pretty cool

Journeyman
    Very nice watch unfortunately too big for my wrist. I'd buy one if they made a Reduced model..

I prefer it on a strap

I quite like it on a nato too:

Hi guys sorry for the thread resurrection but I started looking at these again recently and I wondered how people are finding the size?

I have 7.25" wrists but I'm concerned this will look too big?

Ps I really like the look of RAJEN's on the strap!

Thanks a lot

Quote Originally Posted by Gullers View Post
    Hi guys sorry for the thread resurrection but I started looking at these again recently and I wondered how people are finding the size?

Ps I really like the look of RAJEN's on the strap!

Thanks a lot

To give you some perspective my wrists are 6.75" (see picture below for size).

Quote Originally Posted by ataripower View Post
    To give you some perspective my wrists are 6.75" (see picture below for size).
    That's great thanks and I presume you don't find it too big?
    Anyone else have any experience of this model?
    Thanks guys

Master
    After seeing this thread, I have just ordered one to try look forward to it and will post photos.

That's great thanks and I presume you don't find it too big?
    Anyone else have any experience of this model?
    Thanks guys

Not at all, but it is a little subjective as I generally like big watches!

Journeyman
    I tried one on this week (strap version) and on my 7 1/2" wrist it was just fine. Bigger than what I normally wear, but it looks and feels great. Still mulling it over whether I'm going for it or not and Rajen's pic' isn't helping me stay in my wife's good books!

I bought one recently as I too was sold on the backstory too and as it appears to be in limited supply in the UK, and I wondered whether I would ever have the opportunity to find one again. It was a snap purchase and the first watch I have ever bought in a dealers, even though I've amassed a collection of around sixty vintage watches over the past five years.

I find the Bulova very big on my wrist which is not particularly small (roughly 7 and 3/4 inches). I have a Speedmaster, which is not a small watch in my opinion, and the Bulova dwarfs it. It's easy to see the continuation of the Speedmasters style in the design of the Bulova's dial. If the backstory is true Bulova seem to have been responding to those factors that made the Speedmaster successful from NASA's perspective, the watch is certainly very legible

I like the sweep chronograph hand but would prefer a twelve hour register rather than the sub-second register provided on the dial of the Bulova. The dial has a lot of depth and the indices are raised not printed which is nice, but I suspect that the dial is moulded rather than the indices being applied. The case seems well made and the combination of finishes is a nice touch. The uniquely shaped chronograph buttons are easier to use than those on most of the mechanical chronographs in my collection and give the watch a distinctive quality.

The glass crystal will probably please those that would like the same on the Speedmaster but if I'm honest I find it rather clinical and flat and prefer the hesalite crystal on the Speedmaster. It has a far nicer profile and, for me, a more sophisticated way of rendering the reflections you see in it than the flat sapphire of the Bulova crystal.

i guess when you get down to it, the thing with watches with a space pedigree is the mythos. That sense of atavistic connection with the heroes of your youth. The Apollo programme was a large part of my childhood and I still have a strong emotional response when I see clips of the rockets going up or hearing the magic poetry of the Mission Control loop. I've got a Pogue and a Speedmaster and I've been in the presence of Dave Scott (you never seem to meet these people rather than being in the presence of legend). So I'm the prime customer for this type of watch. I've even got a 1960s Bulova Astronaut which is a lovely thing and very much of its time. But to be honest the jury is still out for me. It still feels a little ersatz, it doesn't really have the depth of history that the others do. At the end of the day it's sort of like a Bell and Ross or a Breitling, it feels to me like its borrowing its history by association with other watches rather than having a story of its own.

And I can't escape the same conclusion that a lot of others have drawn, that I might just feel a bit better about it if they'd just made it a bit smaller.

I've got a moon watch - battery included!!

They may be in short supply in the UK but are popping up discounted in the US. Saw it listed on Overstock.com last week at around $450 ish

Edit Amazon.com 2 available at $499.99 which at current rate is £380

Last edited by MarkO; 4th August 2016 at 23:18.

I would definitely consider one of these if it were smaller and perhaps truer to the original (but not 1.62 million US dollars obviously). The sapphire crystal also looks a bit vulnerable in profile.

Hard to judge from pictures - probably a watch you have to see and feel to appreciate fully.

Maybe they will have a rethink on the size.

The caseback is very cool from what I have seen as it describes where and when it was worn by Dave Scott

Apollo 15
    July 26, 1971 to August 7 1971
    EVA-3
    August 2, 1971
    Hadley Rille/Apennines
    26.1N 3.63E

I too grew up with Apollo, which left a lasting impression, and Apollo 15 in particular was an interesting mission being the first to fly to the mountains, north of the equatorial area, use the rover, do more science, cancel a postage stamp etc. and of course the watch story.

The size wasn't something Bulova really had much control over, unless they were to build a new movement - they wanted to retain the proportions of the original, but while being obliged to follow to the distance of the subdials dictated by the subdials. iirc they did eversoslightly change the shape of the watch to reduce the lug-to-lug. I did have a pair of photos to demonstrate this, I'll see if I can find it....

....here we are

Last edited by Der Amf; 5th August 2016 at 08:46.

Master
    Interesting to see they've used tachymeter on the reissue.

Master
    Yet to see one in person. I've seen a few for sale via online retailers but i'm a little reluctant to order one until I see it as 45mm does seem a bit much to me. I don't think the 20mm strap will help with making that look smaller on the wrist either. I've also read that the bracelet version has the spring bar holes closer to the watch making it very difficult to fit a leather or nato strap to that particular version.

Quote Originally Posted by stefaulkner View Post
    Interesting to see they've used tachymeter on the reissue.
    Weird to see that they wrote tach0meter not tachometer on the original

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    Weird to see that they wrote tach0meter not tachometer on the original
    haha, good eye for detail there, have never noticed that before but yeah it does look more a zero.

Available to buy on the Ernest Jones website... if anyone is looking...

Master
    I'm off tO NYC in a couple of week- I'm tempted and I'll see how much it is there

Well mine arrived yesterday courtesy of shoppy,

its a surprisingly nice watch for the money - it feels very solid and weighty in the hand.

i currently have it on a velcro band i had left over from my speedmaster moonwatch days which seems to suit it (though i also have one of the omega nato straps still which will also fit)

lovely smooth action on the chrono - not sure why they have the running seconds moving in half second leaps.. rather than the smooth action.

Its no bigger wearing than my citizen sat watch - but i have been wearing larger watches recently - the old explorer 2 does seem quite small now!

its a nice alternative to a speedy - good lume as well - nice clear dial with depth... I cannot really complain at all....

cheers

matt