closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What do you or would you miss from the UK

Baked beans and a sense of humour

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    The Harrow at Steep, and specifically a pint of their Ringwood Best or Flacks Double Drop (straight from the barrel).

The Hampshire/Dorset/Sussex roads I drive for fun.

English cheese, the finest in the world. Especially Tunworth so ripe you have to eat with a spoon.

And a traditional British curry.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    During my stints abroad I always missed real beer, good cheese and proper bacon.
    If I were to live abroad now I think I would miss her in doors quite a bit, but I would still be inclined to leave her here! :-)
    OK, I can give you Beer (lots of 'real' beer around the world, but I think I know what you mean) and proper bacon (No-one else seems to get that right), BUT 'good cheese'?

Surely that would massively depend on where you lived? France and Italy (for example) have plenty of good cheese, widely accessible in most of Europe.

Maybe it'd be harder to find in South East Asia or South America (I'm sure Australia and NZ have plenty of cheeses and I know the US has some...)

Quote Originally Posted by Backward point View Post
    And a traditional British curry.
    That would make a good thread in its own right "Where did you have your best curry outside the UK" (excluding India - and related countries - of course).

M.

Everything! It's all funny and weird abroad.

My middle son lives in the US and yearns for a decent kebab (they have gyro's out there) and he has to shop in the "ethnic aisle" to get Marmite.

I can only drink coffee in the US because they have no idea about tea.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post

I can only drink coffee in the US because they have no idea about tea.
    To be honest, they don't know much about coffee either!

M

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Tea needs soft water to taste right. The mineral content of water in many countries is higher than the UK ( although this varies from area to area) and a water softening filter is needed to get the minerals out. Trust me, that's the key factor. Using bottled water can make things worse because the mineral content is often higher.

Usually I don't bother with tea when overseas, but if I was living for any length of time I'd invest in a permutit filter or similar.

Paul
    It's just what you get used to Paul.

You couldn't get much harder water than what we have here in Surrey and I enjoy a cuppa but if we pop down to Kent the water is much softer and I don't like the taste as much.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Nice thread this; I used to do a month at a time away and often longer.

Main thing was friends and family obviously.

Tea certainly, with everyone there
    Simple menus (it takes 10 minutes to order in the US as everything can be done how you like it). Want this? OK.
    A proper fry up. I had my first in ages on Tuesday (Annie's in Barnes in case anyone is interested) and it was astonishingly good
    Roast dinner
    Cask ale
    British driving standards (although they have slipped MASSIVELY in 10 years)
    Queuing politely
    Hot Cross buns with butter
    Cadburys chocolate
    Stilton and cheddar
    Crumbles and custard

But if I was offered a job in Sydney or Chicago, I'd be off like a shot ;)

Driving on the correct side of the road doesn't seem to have been mentioned yet or is it just that nobody really cares what side they drive on

JAMP0T1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by JAMP0T1 View Post
    Driving on the correct side of the road doesn't seem to have been mentioned yet or is it just that nobody really cares what side they drive on
    I was in Indonesia last week, driver sat on the same side of the car, but it wasn't clear which side of the road anyone was driving on...

M.

Quote Originally Posted by JAMP0T1 View Post

JAMP0T1

We drive on the left here and have 9 roundabouts - half the cars are left hand drive and half are right - no one apart from the small community of Brits has any clue what a roundabout is.
    We regularly have tourists driving the wrong way up the road, wrong way round roundabouts or ignoring then completely and just doing a U-turn

So I am with you on the UK driving standards thing

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    OK, I can give you Beer (lots of 'real' beer around the world, but I think I know what you mean) and proper bacon (No-one else seems to get that right), BUT 'good cheese'?

Surely that would massively depend on where you lived? France and Italy (for example) have plenty of good cheese, widely accessible in most of Europe.

M.
    Well I have only spent lot of time in the US, Canada and Southern Africa and they can't do cheese and the beer is keg...
    I do think Cheese from the British Isles is the best though...

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Nowt.

Quote Originally Posted by proby24 View Post
    Yup, I avoid the adult disneyland that is Clarke Quay like the plague!
    Out of interest where do you recommend?

Gotta be brown sauce for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Pewters View Post
    Gotta be brown sauce for me.
    Generic brown or HP?

We've been over in Seattle for a little under a year, with a trip to Blighty in a month scheduled. We've got quite a list that we miss, but we've also got some decent stuff out here too..

Bacon is awful here - I can't wait to have proper bacon sarnies
    Same goes for fish & chips - they have these terrible 'fries' and small pieces of fish in a crappy batter
    I don't drink tea, so don't miss it, but we can get most types out here
    The bread and milk often taste strange here, so we're looking forward to that
    Beer is pretty good here - there is a massive craft beer selection and they're usually really good
    I don't miss the cost of fuel, and the cost of housing vs the size. We're moving into a newbuild which in the UK we could only dream of
    Chocolate - say no more
    Beer gardens - they just don't seem popular here

I think that's it for now.... :)

Good, but we have a greater variety of cheeses in the UK than the French. Please don't suggest French or Italian cheese is an acceptable substitute for British cheese.
    "A man of little significance"

AshUK how is the coffee in Seattle ?

Sent from my iWatch using magic

My top 10:

1) Bacon buttie and pot of tea
    2) pasty
    3) sausage sandwich and Coleman's mustard
    4) bread and butter pudding
    5) fish, chips, peas and bread and butter
    6) fig rolls
    7) Yorkshire pudding and roast beef
    8) fry up
    9) football
    10) more pasty

1. Laughing at lowlife.

2. Small Donner's.

3. Large Donner's.

What do you or would you miss from the UK

Lancashire hotspot
    Meat and potato pie
    Pickled red cabbage
    Dandelion and Burdock
    Timothy Taylor Landlord
    Lancashire or Cheshire cheese
    Black Jacks (Fruit Salad sandwich, a Fruit Salad sandwiched between two Black Jacks)
    The green, green grass of home

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by BillyCasper; 28th April 2016 at 22:37.

Good, but we have a greater variety of cheeses in the UK than the French. Please don't suggest French or Italian cheese is an acceptable substitute for British cheese.
    Ah well that is a different matter, but how many people actually try more than a tiny proportion of the cheeses available.

Also, I'm not sure we have any greater variety of cheese, good though it is, than France, although I'm not saying French cheese is better.

Funnily enough I used to amaze a French friend of mine who thought the only cheese the British had was Cheddar!

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Grand Master
    And another big yes to the NHS.

Sometimes you need something taken away from you to appreciate its greatness.

I imagine my medical insurers would agree (2x GBP 12,000 bills for ACL reconstructions).
    I guess some folks have never been to Germany, Austria, Sweden, South Korea, Australia...
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

One good thing here is when the Brie goes out of date and is reduced it is ALMOST ready to eat

Crackerjack and The Golden Shot on the telly
    The Breakfast Show with Mike Reid and 'Our Tune' with Simon Bates
    Fry's Five Boys chocolate
    Shopping for pic'n'mix in Woolworths
    Funny Hamlet adverts on the telly
    Shopping for a new suit at John Collier
    Strawberry Cresta
    The News of the World
    Party 7 cans of Worthington E

Really looking forward to getting back to these.

^^^^^^^^^

I'll come to that party

Based on living in Thailand the things I miss about the UK are;

The freedom to act as you want. There's an annoying obsession with maintaining 'face' at all times in Asia

Food hygiene. Because not everyone wants to crap themselves half to death once a month

The NHS. Thai private hospitals are money grabbing thieves, insisting on admitting you for the most trivial of reasons and then running meaningless test after test just because they know you are on the meter

Religious agnosticism. Buddhism is silly

Driving standards. The UK had terrific standards of driving compared to Asia

The variety and quality of food on offer. Noodles and rice are great. For a week.

London. It's the greatest city on earth

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Ah well that is a different matter, but how many people actually try more than a tiny proportion of the cheeses available.

Also, I'm not sure we have any greater variety of cheese, good though it is, than France, although I'm not saying French cheese is better.

Funnily enough I used to amaze a French friend of mine who thought the only cheese the British had was Cheddar!

M
    This is a couple of years out of date but you get the idea:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/f...-own-game.html

Have you tried a very ripe Tunworth and any of the Lyburn cheeses (the Old Winchester mature is cracking)? I take a couple of Tunworths to Le Mans every year and people think I'm crazy. Thing is, the cheese is superb (I haven't found a better Camembert, although I keep looking) and if you buy it three days in advance and leave it somewhere that isn't a fridge, by the time you get to France and collect a freshly made baguette or two, the cheese is so ripe (best transported in Tupperware) it's perfect. You try finding a perfectly ripe and molten cheese in Normandy, it doesn't happen.

That isn't to say I don't like French cheese, I love the majority of it (except Livarot, and Reblochon raw - tartiflette is how it's done, apart from the one I had in Paris, the bastards made it with frites!). I agree with you that not many people look for English cheese or are aware there's so much good stuff around.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    It's just what you get used to Paul.

You couldn't get much harder water than what we have here in Surrey and I enjoy a cuppa but if we pop down to Kent the water is much softer and I don't like the taste as much.
    True. I used to work down at Maidenhead sometimes and I always moaned about the water being no good for making tea......... It became a standing joke after a while!

This is a couple of years out of date but you get the idea:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/f...-own-game.html

Have you tried a very ripe Tunworth and any of the Lyburn cheeses (the Old Winchester mature is cracking)? I take a couple of Tunworths to Le Mans every year and people think I'm crazy. Thing is, the cheese is superb (I haven't found a better Camembert, although I keep looking) and if you buy it three days in advance and leave it somewhere that isn't a fridge, by the time you get to France and collect a freshly made baguette or two, the cheese is so ripe (best transported in Tupperware) it's perfect. You try finding a perfectly ripe and molten cheese in Normandy, it doesn't happen.

That isn't to say I don't like French cheese, I love the majority of it (except Livarot, and Reblochon raw - tartiflette is how it's done, apart from the one I had in Paris, the bastards made it with frites!). I agree with you that not many people look for English cheese or are aware there's so much good stuff around.
    You're obviously more aware of all the cheeses around (I'd happily try any, but actually rarely do as I just don't find the opportunity to eat cheese on a regular basis) and I'm not questioning either the quality (or variety) of British cheeses or the fact that they offer something that French (for example) cheeses don't, but the original claim was that someone would miss 'good cheese' and I think that's like saying you'd miss corrupt politicians... Everyone has them, ours are just different to the French ones

If they'd said "British Artisan cheeses" I'd have had no quibble, in the same way I accepted "real -or proper, I forget the exact term - beer" to really mean UK ales - If he meant Carling Black Label then I'd retract my acceptance

M

You're obviously more aware of all the cheeses around (I'd happily try any, but actually rarely do as I just don't find the opportunity to eat cheese on a regular basis) and I'm not questioning either the quality (or variety) of British cheeses or the fact that they offer something that French (for example) cheeses don't, but the original claim was that someone would miss 'good cheese' and I think that's like saying you'd miss corrupt politicians... Everyone has them, ours are just different to the French ones

If they'd said "British Artisan cheeses" I'd have had no quibble, in the same way I accepted "real -or proper, I forget the exact term - beer" to really mean UK ales - If he meant Carling Black Label then I'd retract my acceptance

M
    On holiday in Mexico a couple of years ago I asked for beer and was given a Miller Lite.

On holiday in Mexico a couple of years ago I asked for beer and was given a Miller Lite.
    Good God - That's Mexico off the list then!

M.

M
    Please accept my apologies, I did not mean to get your knickers in a twist :-)
    By "good cheeses" I meant, in my opinion, cheese available from the regions here in the UK are tastier when compared to to the majority on offer elsewhere in the world. We also have more variety.
    By stating "good beer" I was referring to real ale, most craft beer is Keg and whilst better than euro p1ss, I much prefer fresh beer from the cask.
    For the avoidance of doubt I would like to clarify that good beer, cheese, and pork products are available in other countries not just the UK :-)
    In addition, I am in no way affiliated with any hop alchemist, bovine juice processor or porcine shavers, either here in Blighty or in Johnny Foreigner land.

Please accept my apologies, I did not mean to get your knickers in a twist :-)
    By "good cheeses" I meant, in my opinion, cheese available from the regions here in the UK are tastier when compared to to the majority on offer elsewhere in the world. We also have more variety.
    By stating "good beer" I was referring to real ale, most craft beer is Keg and whilst better than euro p1ss, I much prefer fresh beer from the cask.
    For the avoidance of doubt I would like to clarify that good beer, cheese, and pork products are available in other countries not just the UK :-)
    In addition, I am in no way affiliated with any hop alchemist, bovine juice processor or porcine shavers, either here in Blighty or in Johnny Foreigner land.
    I'm going Commando today, so all is well and I'm happy to accept your definition of 'good beer' (Sausages too, if I missed it - I don't think anyone else does a sausage as well as the British).

However "Good Cheeses" was just too general to let pass - I love English cheeses, but I'd be happy to eat French ones if I lived there.

M.

I'm going Commando today, so all is well and I'm happy to accept your definition of 'good beer' (Sausages too, if I missed it - I don't think anyone else does a sausage as well as the British).

However "Good Cheeses" was just too general to let pass - I love English cheeses, but I'd be happy to eat French ones if I lived there.

M.
    You have convinced me...I am now going to have a Brie Sarnnie for lunch (French stick of course) and I can't wait for my first pint of Fosters after work! :-)

You have convinced me...I am now going to have a Brie Sarnnie for lunch (French stick of course) and I can't wait for my first pint of Fosters after work! 
    Ha ha - Well it's your loss if you equate Fosters with Brie...

M.

Quote Originally Posted by subseastu View Post
    Out of interest where do you recommend?
    Hi mate: I like the bars down Club Street/Ang Siang Hill (Beaujoulais, Gem bar, Carillon d'Angelus for wine). Duxton Hill has a host of decent bars and restaurants. Emerald Hill if near Orchard, especially Alley Bar. Also Que Pasa on Emerald, which has a secret cigar bar upstairs.

Some decent whisky bars: La Maison du Whisky at Robertson Quay, Single Cask at Chjimes and Auld Alliance.

And if I am feeling flush (with pints of Heineken at 11 quid 50), an afternoon in the courtyard bar at Raffles Hotel, avoid the cr@ppy Long Bar and the sickly Singa Slings.

My favourite 'secret' place is the Olde Cuban on Pagoda Street in China Town. Best Cigar Bar in town.

And if I am feeling flush (with pints of Heineken at 11 quid 50), an afternoon in the courtyard bar at Raffles Hotel, avoid the cr@ppy Long Bar and the sickly Singa Slings.
    Flush? Sounds more like Sunstroke!

M.

Master
    The English countryside
    Driving on English country roads
    Dartmoor
    English pubs and pub grub
    Shreddies
    Penguin biscuits
    Access to Europe
    Family & Friends

Quote Originally Posted by simon-c View Post
    The NHS

enjoy it while it lasts
    Too right there! The way they are grinding it into the ground the only solution will be privatise it. Then we are all up the creak, with a health service driven purely to make a profit.

I hear (from people that work there) they are doing something similar with social services too.

Craftsman
    My wife.

Quote Originally Posted by AshUK View Post
    We've been over in Seattle for a little under a year, with a trip to Blighty in a month scheduled. We've got quite a list that we miss, but we've also got some decent stuff out here too..

Bacon is awful here - I can't wait to have proper bacon sarnies
    Same goes for fish & chips - they have these terrible 'fries' and small pieces of fish in a crappy batter
    I don't drink tea, so don't miss it, but we can get most types out here
    The bread and milk often taste strange here, so we're looking forward to that
    Beer is pretty good here - there is a massive craft beer selection and they're usually really good
    I don't miss the cost of fuel, and the cost of housing vs the size. We're moving into a newbuild which in the UK we could only dream of
    Chocolate - say no more
    Beer gardens - they just don't seem popular here

I think that's it for now.... :)
    My middle son and daughter in law live in Wa.

Agree re bacon - that awful oblong crap.

Bread tastes like cake and there are so many varieties of milk I don't know which one to go for!

Chocolate - Hersheys tar!

Fuel prices and often cheaper housing (compared to the SE) are the definite advantages.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

I spend a lot of time overseas and things that I would miss the most other than friends and family.

My house (and stuff)
    The country side - it really is quite unique and beautiful
    The people (most of them)
    The general pace of life
    The language
    The sense of humor and irony
    Water you can drink out of the tap
    Proper Seasons (not to cold, not to wet, not to dry and not to hot)
    Bonfire night, Christmas
    Being less that 70 miles from the sea.
    Waitrose and M&S Food
    English Builders Tea.
    Milk delivered by a Milkman
    British heritage and taste

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Wharry View Post
    My wife.
    Yes, probably the same for me (to an extent). Definitely the children though.

Chavs. I'm very much working class, but a couple in tracksuits arguing in a shop over what sweets Jordan and Sky can have somehow makes me feel better about myself.

Hi mate: I like the bars down Club Street/Ang Siang Hill (Beaujoulais, Gem bar, Carillon d'Angelus for wine). Duxton Hill has a host of decent bars and restaurants. Emerald Hill if near Orchard, especially Alley Bar. Also Que Pasa on Emerald, which has a secret cigar bar upstairs.

Some decent whisky bars: La Maison du Whisky at Robertson Quay, Single Cask at Chjimes and Auld Alliance.

My favourite 'secret' place is the Olde Cuban on Pagoda Street in China Town. Best Cigar Bar in town.
    Thankis for the tips, I'll try to check those out next time I'm out there which maybe a while the way the oil and gas industry is at the moment.

Maybe it'd be harder to find in South East Asia or South America (I'm sure Australia and NZ have plenty of cheeses and I know the US has some...)

That would make a good thread in its own right "Where did you have your best curry outside the UK" (excluding India - and related countries - of course).

M.
    We found an Indian in Paris run by a family who used to run a restaurant in London. They delivered by scooter and offered to make me "British curry" instead of the adapted subtler, less spiced/rich recipes they made for the French. Probably the best curry I've had anywhere. Needless to say a delivery was ordered every Friday without fail. I put a lot of British expats onto them and they gave us a lot of freebies as a thank you.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    I spend a lot of time overseas and things that I would miss the most other than friends and family.

My house (and stuff)
    The country side - it really is quite unique and beautiful
    The people (most of them)
    The general pace of life
    The language
    The sense of humor and irony
    Water you can drink out of the tap
    Proper Seasons (not to cold, not to wet, not to dry and not to hot)
    Bonfire night, Christmas
    Being less that 70 miles from the sea.
    Waitrose and M&S Food
    English Builders Tea.
    Milk delivered by a Milkman
    British heritage and taste
    Why isn't the NHS at the top of that list? After all it is the only public health service in the world !
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

"English" Chinese food! Always have to have a Chinese meal when I am back in the UK.

Grand Master
    Fry Ups, yes you can get one worldwide but they don't have the same cheap and tacky feel to them without the clientele
    RIAC