closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: Game of Thrones

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradiddle View Post
    That would've made a better ending rather than the dragged out and episode they had. I did expect the same or at least for Jon to also die in the episode.
    Maybe they are thinking to keep as many characters alive as possible and they can all have their own spin off series

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Irish boy View Post
    I enjoyed it and they wrapped it up well enough.

It would have been cool if Drogon tried to burn Jon for killing Danny, the Iron Throne melts behind him but Jon comes out unscathed but naked. Drogon realises he is a Targ and bows to him. The Unsullied try to attack but with Drogon behind him they can't. The Unsullied are forced into submission but Jon releases them to freedom. Then the end is similar, maybe Jon still goes north refusing the throne while Drogon goes south.
    That would be cool

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I loved the scene where Dany emerged through a doorway, the dragon behind her, his wings framing her as if she herself was a dragon, and she was, Dany was a dragon, merciless, commanding fire, lost in the pain of her own childhood and the events that happened after her brother gave her away.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Glamdring View Post
    I loved the scene where Dany emerged through a doorway, the dragon behind her, his wings framing her as if she herself was a dragon, and she was, Dany was a dragon, merciless, commanding fire, lost in the pain of her own childhood and the events that happened after her brother gave her away.
    I thought it was very Leni Riefenstahl Triumph of the Will'esque, particularly with the unfurled House Targaryen banner hanging from the ruins.

Quote Originally Posted by Glamdring View Post
    Very powerful scene that, bit of a series highlight for me.

Sums it up for me

Quote Originally Posted by mtagrant View Post
    Maybe they are thinking to keep as many characters alive as possible and they can all have their own spin off series
    True that. Sort of a "keeping up with the Starks"

FINALLY managed to sit down this morning and get through episode 6 - my view is from being a book reader (I remember waiting for Feast of Crows to be released). Now we all know that the show runners had to take control of the story after they outran the book. Martin gave them thematic broad strokes to work with, but essentially this is D&Ds vision on how the show would end.

If we look in the context of themes, as long as certain themes were consistent enough, the show has pretty much ended as well as could be. Yes there are plot holes and dramatisation, but if we never see the next two books, I roughly know at least what the vision could have looked like. The show in the past seasons were dumbed down, yes, but I am also pretty sure Martin doesn't really know himself exactly how certain strands and threads of story are meant to end.

We probably needed another 10-15 episodes to explore the story appropriately and alas that time was never going to be available. So the producers prioritised certain the battles and more sensational elements, not the intrigue that left us fascinated. Sensational elements cause issues too - Sansa doesn't get raped by Ramsey in the books for instance.

Those instances also set the show on a different path from Martin's vision and further complications have arisen. For instance Tyrion was made to look pathetic in the last few seasons as opposed to a character who truly believed in Dany and made lots of poor choices along the way. Or how the women characterisations were basically dumbed down. We'll get better stories in the books and this is limitations of TV. The ending itself leaves the next chapter of Westeros (and North of the wall) in the hands of the next generation. A more poignant ending and probably the correct ending too.

edit - this is a good review from a book readers perspective - https://tv.avclub.com/in-the-end-gam...ire-1834879182

Master
    Where the feck have I been?!

It's been many years since GoT first hit the screens. Until yesterday I hadn't seen one second of it at all; I knew nothing about it.

For some reason I decided to buy season 1 on Prime, and I've been watching it for a few episodes. Incredible series.

The writing, cinematography and script are wonderful, and the cast excellent.

The absolute, 100% standout for me though is Peter Dinklage as Tyrion Lannister. What a completely amazing performance. So much charisma, sly wit and immense characterisation, it's impossible to take one's eyes off the screen when he's on it.

I fear I may have spare time for nothing else in the next couple of months.

Quote Originally Posted by Filterlab View Post

For some reason I decided to buy season 1 on Prime:
    Presume you've not got Sky? All 8 series are on Sky Atlantic On Demand.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by freeloader View Post
    Presume you've not got Sky? All 8 series are on Sky Atlantic On Demand.
    Nope.

It's been many years since GoT first hit the screens. Until yesterday I hadn't seen one second of it at all; I knew nothing about it.

For some reason I decided to buy season 1 on Prime, and I've been watching it for a few episodes. Incredible series.

The writing, cinematography and script are wonderful, and the cast excellent.

The absolute, 100% standout for me though is Peter Dinklage as Tyrion Lannister. What a completely amazing performance. So much charisma, sly wit and immense characterisation, it's impossible to take one's eyes off the screen when he's on it.

I fear I may have spare time for nothing else in the next couple of months.
    You'll be finished before a couple of months , absolutely brilliant series, in my top 3.

Master
    I fear I may!

I'm going to grab a box set on Blu-ray from eBay, it'll be cheaper than buying it from Amazon.

I'm hooked.

Nope.
    Subscribe to NOW TV, they’re all on there.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dougair View Post
    Subscribe to NOW TV, they’re all on there.
    Bugger! I've just bought the Blu-ray box set.

Oh well, worth it for the boobs.

I’ve never read the books, but I’ve watched the first 3 or 4 episodes of season 1 a couple of times and just gave up, it didn’t capture my interest at all - I’m not much of a fantasy fan but enjoyed the LOTR movies and I’m a big sci fi fan, just can’t seem to make it past those early episodes

Try to persevere and stick with it…
    Absolutely THE BEST multi part/season drama I’ve ever seen.

It is great up to season 8 but the books are even better even if George RR Martin is taking an age to finish writing the last two books in the series!

Master
    Goodness me. What the heck happened to the writing at season five?

1-4 were absolutely superb. 5 is dull, dreary and very boring. The characters seem to have the life drained out of them, and the script is so uninteresting. I'm now reading stuff on the phone whilst it plays in the background.

Please tell me season 6 is an improvement!