closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: Game of Thrones

Mornington Crescent

Master
    I think it will be Jon as they’ve portrayed him as a bit wet lately, so I’ll think he’ll turn after what she did in the last episode.

Can’t see him ruling though. Bran maybe.

Master
    I hope it is Tyrion that ends up on the iron throne
    Jon to kill Dany, and then die himself as his mission is done
    Arya to ride in on her white horse which distracts Dany and enables Jon to put a sword in her

I won't spoil it as I assume many wont have watched at 2am last night suffice to say I'm pretty certain there is a spin off series featuring Arya in the offing. Decent denouement to the series, some poignant moments. Won't say any more just yet until folks have caught up with the episode other than I thought it closed the loops off pretty well

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    I won't spoil it as I assume many wont have watched at 2am last night suffice to say I'm pretty certain there is a spin off series featuring Arya in the offing. Decent denouement to the series, some poignant moments. Won't say any more just yet until folks have caught up with the episode other than I thought it closed the loops off pretty well

I have to say I was disappointed with the ending and the last series in general. It just seemed hurried and lacked the character focus in previous series. The Ayra ending was the highlight for me.

I hope Arya does get a spin-off. Pity she can't double team with the Hound anymore ☹️ Hopefully if there is a spin-off then Jaqen and Syrio will be back.

Meh, at least it was filmed in daylight. Where the heck did all those unsullied come from I thought she only had a couple of hundred left, there seemed to be thousands drawn up on the square for her speech and why didn't the Dothraki get a say in the council meeting to decide the fate of the realm etc she was Khalessi first after all, also can't see them being merciful to the man who done you know what...but I suppose it ended sort of, long live King Emo and well done the North and Bronn.
    Last edited by Passenger; 20th May 2019 at 14:01.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ventura View Post
    I hope Arya does get a spin-off. Pity she can't double team with the Hound anymore ☹️ Hopefully if there is a spin-off then Jaqen and Syrio will be back.
    Although it does sound appealing, if the writing's as good as in S8, I'd rather they didn't.

Master
    Unlike the hardcore fans who are demanding the whole last series be made over, I think it’s ended well. Clearly those fans had forgotten this was supposed to be a show where the character you’ve been rooting for tends to suddenly die, and things don’t go at all as you expected. It reminds me of Starship Troopers in a way, where at the end you realise you’ve been on the wrong side the whole time, in this case mainly because a certain mother of dragons looks so cute. Somehow that made it easy to forget she was the only character with her own weapons of mass destruction, which might not be an entirely good thing. The fact that the final season twist shocked so many makes it all the better, and makes the previous series more interesting too - should we have seen in coming? Perhaps it could have done with a few more scenes, or a whole extra episode, or a bit of extra ‘acting’, to set it up emotionally. But that might have spoiled the surprise, and in retrospect it does make sense. I’ll leave it there, as most won’t have see the final episode, but it worked for me.

Grand Master
    Thought it was a bit of a cop out at the end, last ever episode and they had the ability to do a lot more than they did, with some large plot holes again showing up in this one.

Quote Originally Posted by asteclaru View Post
    Although it does sound appealing, if the writing's as good as in S8, I'd rather they didn't.
    Yes you're right. If it was like seasons 1 to 6 then it would be great.

thought at one we may get another epic battle with the Northern chaps and the unsullied chaps.

I think it all went out with a whimper, too rushed and then a final episode where it's not. Plus I don't know what everyone's so afraid of saying, if you haven't watched the last episode you're not going to be on this thread reading about it.
    "A man of little significance"

i think this last series will be a gold standard for writers on how to bugger up something perfectly good.
    to say it was rushed and ill thought out is an understatement - i think it was written on the back of a fag packet in the pub one afternoon.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Basically the episode goes to show that all women end up turning into nutters if given the opportunity. Men you have been warned :)

Sounds like a reality tv show

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Watched it and thought it was sub-par.

The best part of GoT from the start was the dedication to the plot, without letting characters get in the way of the most interesting developments. Season 8 has been the reverse, with too much focus on the characters and not enough on plot.

There were no clever surprises or shocks, no real hard conclusions, and personally I felt the whole thing was anti-climactic. The whole season has felt like a missed opportunity.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6000 using Tapatalk

The only thing I didn't like in the last episode was what I think was a missing segment between the Jon /Dany episode and the meeting to determine who was to be king/queen. There would have been some seriously important stuff going on but we didn't get to see it.

Other than that I thought it was excellent.

I’m well disappointed with the last season, starting with the death of the Night King been simply killed with a blade, the killing of Cersi in that manner, Bran’s role throughout the last season and finally all that Jon Snow went through to have that put on him...

Pretty poor end to probably the best show I’ve seen in years, right up till the last season, what a cop out and pi.. poor writing...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grand Master
    It was just a weird episode, felt like the air had been let out all the way through, as has the season, all the way through wondering when we'll see Bran use his abilities, only for him not too, wondering why Jon was brought back, where did the Dothraki disappear too at the end and so on, honestly, it wasted so much in the end, especially seeing how many survived in the end who should have been killed off in this episode.

I don’t think it could ever live up to fan expectations,
    and was always going to have critics, it was probably the most analysed program ever, personally I really enjoyed it
    Cheers..
    Jase

Master
    Bit sad it's all over after all these years, though won't be surprised if there's some spin offs..

Overall I'm ok with the final series and ending but had expected more given they had twice as long and half the episodes of previous seasons.

Might actually read the book - whenever they are finished - to see what the real author had in mind.

Sent from my EVR-L29 using Tapatalk

Master
    I thought the last episode was perfect, back to the pace of the previous seasons. Except the time jump after Dragon melting.

SPOILER coming....

No one ending up on the Iron Throne was exactly what I hoped would happen. Fits perfectly.

I think the last season was, by and large, excellent. George Martin wrote sprawling, multi layered, multi character stories so it was never going to be easy finishing such a hugely popular programme to everyone’s happiness. You’ve got to try to conclude the lives and stories of all those people in six episodes.

The final episode surprised me in how quickly into the programme Dany got killed but it allowed time to show how life started to go back to normal for the remaining characters.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    I think it all went out with a whimper, too rushed and then a final episode where it's not.
    Agreed. I enjoyed most of the final series, but felt this was a very poor ending. Quite deflated after all the build up

Master
    Just finished the last episode. Like a fair few in here, I ended up deflated. S7 and S8 just weren’t as good as 1-6 and the blame for that lies with HBO in going for shorter series in order to keep their Star Wars-bound showrunners onside.

Can anyone shed light on what Jon is doing at the end? Going to live with the free folk, or just ensuring they get ‘home’ safely?

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    I think it will be Jon as they’ve portrayed him as a bit wet lately, so I’ll think he’ll turn after what she did in the last episode.

Can’t see him ruling though. Bran maybe.
    You are the three-eyed raven of TZ-UK. Hail the King!

Craftsman
    Jon will kill Dany then surrender and return to the Night's Watch to serve his punishment.
    Bran will be voted onto the Iron Throne.
    Uhhh, did you see this episode a week early!?

Hope you bought a lottery ticket!!

Quote Originally Posted by NickRed71 View Post
    Just finished the last episode. Like a fair few in here, I ended up deflated. S7 and S8 just weren’t as good as 1-6 and the blame for that lies with HBO in going for shorter series in order to keep their Star Wars-bound showrunners onside.

Can anyone shed light on what Jon is doing at the end? Going to live with the free folk, or just ensuring they get ‘home’ safely?

I interpreted it as Jon going to live with the free folk beyond the wall as their leader. Probably a fitting ending given he was always really an outsider (a bastard then a Targaryen).

I think this season and season 5 were the most underwhelming. Both were undermined by poor writing / execution of the plot.

The quality had dropped in season 7 but it was still much better than 8.

Seasons.1-4 and 6 were brilliant, like a fantastic ongoing feature film. My personal favourite was season 6 but mainly for the last 2 amazing episodes.

Remember this dream scene in the Throne room way back in season 2 when Dany went to rescue her young dragons from the warlocks?! (I've not watched Thronecast yet but presume they mentioned it).

https://youtu.be/gulVUWrADCM

Ned should’ve followed Roberts orders back at the start and had Dany snuffed, would’ve saved hundreds of thousands of lives, never mind the hours wasted for such a neat and unrealistic/ unsatisfying finale, totally at odds in tone with the early seasons. After breaking bad Dany would never let an armed Jon anywhere near her. For a show that used to pride itself with details and portraying the nitty gritty, I found the return to normalcy jarring, what about the thousands of injured and dispossessed at Kings Landing or the extensive damage to the city, eh. Though at least Bronn stayed in character, unlike others, and wants to prioritize getting the brothels sorted, top man, the real winner of GoT for my money
    Jon goes off to lead the wild things for the wild rumpus beyond the wall, after all the Nights Watch are redundant, just my view.
    Last edited by Passenger; 21st May 2019 at 07:26.

Quote Originally Posted by jon8oy View Post

You do know that the whole series plots were leaked on reddit months ago don’t you?

Some people didn’t believe it was a genuine leak until the first few episodes of this season when all his leaks came true.

Slightly disappointed...I thought we’d have more open endings to plots as if we were watching a slice of history rather than the “satisfying” hollywood ending of wrap every plot up neatly.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    You do know that the whole series plots were leaked on reddit months ago don’t you?

Some people didn’t believe it was a genuine leak until the first few episodes of this season when all his leaks came true.
    What Christian said

It was good and bad, the whole king situation was a little stupid since Jon is the only rightful King. Also his punishment was to go North to please Greyworm, but Greyworm left for Nartha so why did Jon not just hang about.

I get him killing Dani as she had gone a little power crazy, not quite sure how killing hundreds of thousands of innocent people is liberating them.

Since Jon is also a Targaryren should the dragon not have started to follow him.

Where did all Dani's troops come from!! even at the start of the battle for Kings Landing there was not many left, then all of a sudden she has a massive army

A spin of Ayra series would be good, and it looks like that could be on the cards. Maybe after the prequel is finished they might follow this up.

Quote Originally Posted by NikGixer750 View Post
    It was good and bad, the whole king situation was a little stupid since Jon is the only rightful King. Also his punishment was to go North to please Greyworm, but Greyworm left for Nartha so why did Jon not just hang about.

I get him killing Dani as she had gone a little power crazy, not quite sure how killing hundreds of thousands of innocent people is liberating them.

Since Jon is also a Targaryren should the dragon not have started to follow him.

Where did all Dani's troops come from!! even at the start of the battle for Kings Landing there was not many left, then all of a sudden she has a massive army

A spin of Ayra series would be good, and it looks like that could be on the cards. Maybe after the prequel is finished they might follow this up.
    Yup riddled with plot holes/inconsistencies like a very stinky cheese./ e.g. how did Greyworm know it was Jons dagger killed Dany when the Dragon flew off with her body clutched in it's talons.

I felt Peter Dinklage performed manfully but even he couldn't sell the line about Bran's story being the really compelling/important one.
    Last edited by Passenger; 21st May 2019 at 09:53.

Craftsman
    What Christian said
    What a worthwhile contribution, thanks for that.

Tyrion walks into a brothel with a honeycomb and a jackass.

Madame: What can we do for you?

Tyrion: I need a woman to lay with, for mine has left me.

Madame: Whatever for? And what's with the honeycomb and the mule?

Tyrion: My woman found a genie in a bottle, and he granted her three wishes. The first was for a house fit for a queen, so he gave her this damn honeycomb. The second wish was that she have the nicest ass in all the land, so he gave her this damn donkey...

Madame: And what about the third wish?

Tyrion: Well... she asked the genie to make my cock hang down past my knee.

Madame: Well that one's not so bad eh?

Tyrion: Not so bad!? I used to be 6ft3!
    "A man of little significance"

Master
    What a worthwhile contribution, thanks for that.

It's true though - I've read the leaks a couple of weeks ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    Tyrion walks into a brothel with a honeycomb and a jackass.

Madame: What can we do for you?

Tyrion: I need a woman to lay with, for mine has left me.

Madame: Whatever for? And what's with the honeycomb and the mule?

Tyrion: My woman found a genie in a bottle, and he granted her three wishes. The first was for a house fit for a queen, so he gave her this damn honeycomb. The second wish was that she have the nicest ass in all the land, so he gave her this damn donkey...

Madame: And what about the third wish?

Tyrion: Well... she asked the genie to make my cock hang down past my knee.

Madame: Well that one's not so bad eh?

Tyrion: Not so bad!? I used to be 6ft3!
    Excellent.

Master
    Having been abroad since the 13th and therefore having had 2 episodes to catch up with this morning there is so much that I could say but instead I think I'll just leave it at this...

I mightn't of enjoyed the journey that was season 8, but I'm more than content with its final destination.

P.S. The Small Council scene to towards the end was comedy genius!

The prequel, set 5000 years before the current Westeros should be shown next year. It explains how it all began. Apparently. Currently being filmed.

Quote Originally Posted by Glamdring View Post
    The prequel, set 5000 years before the current Westeros should be shown next year. It explains how it all began. Apparently. Currently being filmed.
    They got to keep milking the cow.

I enjoyed the season finale.. Wasn't expecting it, but it was an acceptable ending.

They should just do spin-offs, as they cocked up season 8. Shows what a bigger budget does to storytelling etc.

Grand Master
    After the way the last season has gone i just don't see the demand for spin offs as much as before, that's the big difference between something finishing on a high (Breaking Bad), and the lack of enthusiasm about seasons 7 and 8 on this.

Yes the destination was a believable end.
    There was always going to be an attempt on her life by one of her former allies.
    Of course it doesnt mean they suceed but jon did.
    So he finally did something after being a useless tactician all season.

It was kind of a good idea to get it done early in the episode so they can have the long goodbye with a the characters stories being settled.
    Reminded me of the long goodbye in the final lords of the rings film.

A good enough finale for a poor season.

Master
    Am I the only person in the world who thought the first six series went on a bit? Certain characters and storylines kept things going but there was no shortage of filler to get through before the payoffs.

As far as spin-offs go, I’d rather not know what’s west of Westeros, at least not if Arya’s the tour guide. I guess I’ll get sucked into the prequel though.

Journeyman
    I enjoyed it and they wrapped it up well enough.

It would have been cool if Drogon tried to burn Jon for killing Danny, the Iron Throne melts behind him but Jon comes out unscathed but naked. Drogon realises he is a Targ and bows to him. The Unsullied try to attack but with Drogon behind him they can't. The Unsullied are forced into submission but Jon releases them to freedom. Then the end is similar, maybe Jon still goes north refusing the throne while Drogon goes south.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Irish boy View Post

It would have been cool if Drogon tried to burn Jon for killing Danny, the Iron Throne melts behind him but Jon comes out unscathed but naked. Drogon realises he is a Targ and bows to him. The Unsullied try to attack but with Drogon behind him they can't. The Unsullied are forced into submission but Jon releases them to freedom. Then the end is similar, maybe Jon still goes north refusing the throne while Drogon goes south.
    Always had the impression the dragons knew he was Targaryen as I didn't think they'd let anyone else ride them, Night King notwithstanding (rather special circumstances, I guess). Isn't that why Drogon didn't simply melt him there and then after finding Dany dead?

Master
    Didn't Dany's brother Viserys die form molten gold over his head? Not all Targaryen's are fireproof, but yes I would have liked to know if Jon was immune.

Quote Originally Posted by Irish boy View Post

That would've made a better ending rather than the dragged out and episode they had. I did expect the same or at least for Jon to also die in the episode.

The episode they came up with wasn't great but in the big picture it was probably one of the few ways they could end it.