closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Game of Thrones

Watched last night. Two words - dark (in more than one way) and relentless.

The killing of the NK, was the only way they could end it, without killing the entire cast.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

I see Emilia Clarke has said that the last 3 are all epic but episode 5 is going to be massive. All the doubters here about deaths might get their wish in that episode

Red face

Agree 100%! :)

Quote Originally Posted by BadgerUK View Post
    The Good

1. The musical score.
    2. Melisandre's scenes.
    3. Jora's last stand protecting the Queen.
    4. Theon's last stand protecting Bran.

The Bad

1. Picture quality and too many scenes far too dark.
    2. Battle tactics utterly stupid, so stupid the whole episode lost credibility.
    Why sacrifice your cavalry, they should have been wide right and wide left, kept in reserve to swoop in behind the enemy front line attacking them from the side and behind. They should used the dragons to scorch no mans land and then used the trebuchets to pound the advancing wights. Why advance anybody, why give up good defensive positions ?
    3. Jon Snow was a total @uckwit, showing no leadership.
    4. Death of the Night King, so 'unrealistic', the battle should have ended a draw with a rematch at Kings Landing.
    5. Far too much feminist equality type b@llocks in the fight scenes.
    6. Continuity all over the place - how did the Morment girl's axe magically turn into a dagger/sword ?
    7. Why were the trebuchets in front of the Unsullied ?

The Director completely blew it, all this time we waited for a so/so dumbed down 5 out of 10 episode.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kevkojak View Post
    One of the cinematographers in the paper today moaning that despite spending thousands on equipment, the public don't know how to set it up correctly, it was shot and edited perfectly. Never mind that this is the first thing they've complained about the quality on, eh?

Suggestion was to watch it in a darkened room (which is what we had to do, I still have a headache now.)

I was on the side of the cast and crew before reading that interview but I've changed my mind now, prick.
    How ridiculous, clearly [being a cinematographer] s/he is either ignorant or has no knowledge of the broadcasting industry beyond his own craft and I can't help but think his frustrations would be better directed elsewhere.

Like you say - what a p***k!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by MST View Post
    How ridiculous, clearly [being a cinematographer] s/he is either ignorant or has no knowledge of the broadcasting industry beyond his own craft and I can't help but think his frustrations would be better directed elsewhere.

Like you say - what a p***k!
    I keep thinking how much money they must have saved not having to show much blood. And the choreography for the fight scenes would have been much easier too, they were just basically down to sound effects. Lots of grunting, screams and squelshy noises.

Now with the night king dead. Who they gonna fight ? Will it be amongst them selves ?

Journeyman
    Just watched it again in a darkened room, no lights, with brightness on the tv turned up and really enjoyed it. Could see scenes more clearly and as I knew what was happening/going to happen it meant I wasn't overly concentrating on the screen. Much better 2nd time round.

Quote Originally Posted by lenlec View Post
    Now with the night king dead. Who they gonna fight ? Will it be amongst them selves ?
    It is caller Game of Thrones for a reason. Bickering amongst themselves as the endgame was inevitable.

Master
    I have a properly set up OLED and after all the discussion about Sky’s poor quality downloaded a 1080p non Sky version. It was dark, but perfectly watchable and good quality. I suspect Sky are to blame rather than the producers.

I rewatched the recompressed Sky download version of s8e3 last night. The picture quality was significantly better than the original version.

Here you go, lighting increased. Only partial scenes however.

https://www.ebaumsworld.com/articles...tter/85949676/

Beach to S8E4, what a great scene with Bronn, Jamie and Tyrian. My favourite of this episode.

Apart from the Starbucks cup cameo!

Master
    Great episode. A couple of shock deaths, can't complain with that - the bloodthirsty fans have been sated.

I did think it was a bit of a coincidence so many of the good scrappers (Brienne, Jaime, Giantsbane and the wildlings) were left at Winterfell even when the armies had set off South. Part of me thought they were setting us up for a surprise attack from Cersei, having sent some of her army on a long route to take them from behind (oooh er) as it were.
    Obviously not, now Ser Jaime has done one.

Next week looks like there will be plenty of bloodshed. Hope so, anyway.

Master
    Bronn, Jamie and Dani showed their true colours.

Bronn gets the best lines, to Tyrion whining about a broken nose, 'I didn't break it', Tyrion.. how do you know, Bronn 'because I've been breaking noses since I was YOUR size', great stuff.
    It's a longshot but if Bronn plays his cards right he might yet end up on the Iron throne.

Poor show from Dani and her dragon turning tail like that and letting Euron blast most of her men and fleet to pieces though without trying to counterattack/revenge but I guess the dragon fires being held for the climax And revenge of Missandei.

Master
    Interested to see how this plays out with Dany/Jon and the dragon. The 3 dragons gave total power and seemed invincible, especially when they almost destroyed the Lannister army in the last series.

The script writing to me looks like Dany will turn on Jon as that's the only way she can ever truly rule (if he's dead). That would be too transparent, so I wonder if she ends up sacrificing herself in battle to save him and he rides the dragon to win the battle. Probably not. I also wonder if all the people that have stayed north arrive to save the day. Looking forward to the next episode.

Master
    I presume the Hound and Arya have the same target in mind at Kings Landing?

The Mountain is on her kill-list (but then again so are Cersei and Ser Ilyn, the executioner who finished off Ned Stark).
    Neither of them expect to survive, so I can only imagine they are both targeting the Mountain.

The list for who gets to kill Cersei grows by the week. I can't tell now if Jaime is headed to save/protect her, or to kill her himself.

Of course, that is assuming Cersei loses. Game of Thrones doesn't do especially well at happy endings and she does seem to have the better army now the dragons have been sidelined.

Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    Interested to see how this plays out with Dany/Jon and the dragon. The 3 dragons gave total power and seemed invincible, especially when they almost destroyed the Lannister army in the last series.

The script writing to me looks like Dany will turn on Jon as that's the only way she can ever truly rule (if he's dead). That would be too transparent, so I wonder if she ends up sacrificing herself in battle to save him and he rides the dragon to win the battle. Probably not. I also wonder if all the people that have stayed north arrive to save the day. Looking forward to the next episode.
    And then there is Varys the spider, now openly contemplating treason against Dani, don't forget him.

next episode should be a good one.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    And then there is Varys the spider, now openly contemplating treason against Dani, don't forget him.

next episode should be a good one.
    Did you watch Thronecast after? They showed him being interviewed and one of the guests on the show said he didn't realise he had hair in real life. He then joked 'I wonder if he has a willy too'

Apprentice
    Somehow or other, I don't foresee a happy ending for this. I don't think either John or Daenerys will be on the Iron Throne at the end. But I don't know who will.

Quote Originally Posted by pmca View Post
    Somehow or other, I don't foresee a happy ending for this. I don't think either John or Daenerys will be on the Iron Throne at the end. But I don't know who will.
    Isn't that a big part of GoFT's appeal the fact that like in life there are no guaranteed happy endings, unlike Hollywood/disney etc.

early on iirc Cersei said of the game of thrones, 'you either win or die' or words to that effect.

Could be Gendry as the last man standing.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    It's a longshot but if Bronn plays his cards right he might yet end up on the Iron throne.
    That's quite an interesting theory when you put it into context with the discussion between Bronn and the Brothers Lannister - "they were f*****g cutthroats, that's how all the great houses started isn't it?"

was a bit slow but had some good action. I get Dani was trying to save her last dragon, but she could have easily circled around once they started to fire on her ships and burn them from behind.

Don't get why Cersi did not attack Dani when she was stood outside Kings Landing with a few hundred troops and 1 dragon.

Dani could attack the big dragon killing cross bows during the night, otherwise cant see how they can win, they don't have many troops left.

My guess;

The dog will kill his brother and Arya will assassinate Ser Ilyn Payne, before taking his face and assassinating Cersei.

Master
    Sad to say but it's all gone a bit meh for me.

Lost interest big time.

Master
    ^ I'm inclined to agree!

It's almost as though the writers are trying to wrap up everything that has happened in the preceding 7 seasons as quickly as possible.

I've also started to become a little suspicious of the number of "fan theories" that either have or seem to be coming to fruition, which unfortunately evokes frustrating memories of Lost and the 5 days and 1 hour of my life that I devoted to watching it over a 6 year period - that I'll never get back.

P.S. Not that I'm bitter...

Quote Originally Posted by NikGixer750 View Post
    was a bit slow but had some good action. I get Dani was trying to save her last dragon, but she could have easily circled around once they started to fire on her ships and burn them from behind.

Don't get why Cersi did not attack Dani when she was stood outside Kings Landing with a few hundred troops and 1 dragon.

Dani could attack the big dragon killing cross bows during the night, otherwise cant see how they can win, they don't have many troops left.
    I was wondering all of this too. Those ballistas along the top of the wall, they could be taken out in one swoop in the middle of the night by an angry dragon. Hit the ships from behind or the side, they wouldn't be able to turn round in time. Send out the cavalry to wipe out Dani and co, no air support because of the ballistas. Etc. There are some big holes in this one again!

I do like the theory about stealing faces. Is Ayra the (a?) faceless man?
    "A man of little significance"

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Drago View Post
    Sad to say but it's all gone a bit meh for me.

Lost interest big time.
    Agreed, with the death of the Night King the show has lost the best part of the story line.
    The writing has been majorly dumbed down and far too much crowd pleasing going on.
    The show has lost its gritty edge and timing, it is now just a disjointed collection of scenes.
    It is like seeing a once great boxer continuing to fight when they should have retired last year.

Episode 1 - 6 out of 10 - you can see the degradation in almost every aspect, very disappointing.
    Episode 2 - 8 out of 10 - a partial recovery.
    Episode 3 - 5 out of 10 - pretty poor and badly botched with dark scenes. No twist, no explanation of the Night Kings reasons. The musical score was very good which stops me giving it a 4. I suppose you could say the twist is season 8 ended after 3 episodes.
    Episode 4 - 4 out of 10 - Opening scene quite good, but how did rows 2-4 of the funeral pyres catch light ?
    A real mishmash of poor scenes and writing. Bronn's total naivety in threatening Jamie and Tyrion rather than just sitting down and talking with them. How do you stick 2 large arrows in the chest and 1 in the head of the smaller dragon (great accurate shooting) but then completely miss the bigger dragon next to it ?
    Episode 5 - actually 50/50 whether I will bother to watch it.

I think i will convert over to Vikings, I have seen some of the episodes and I like it.
    Last edited by BadgerUK; 7th May 2019 at 15:16.

Vikings was pretty good, though it too goes off the boil in later seasons.

Bronn may well have overplayed his hand with the Lanister Bros, they shared a bit of a significant look as he sauntered out of that strangely empty boozer.

One thing I really don't like in this thrones season is the way such huge liberties are being taken with travel/geography,especially a real shame after the time Dany spent tramping around the southern continent or Jon north of the Wall for example. This episode she leaves Winterfell and pops up at Kings Landing seemingly the next day...by ship no less. Jon and the onion Knight are supposedly coming down the Kings Rd ahead of the remaining allied forces, well that would really take a couple of weeks/months, leaving Dany and Co twiddling thumbs outside Kings landing which is nonsense after the ultimatums this episode.

Still suspension of disbelief and all that.

I'm just enjoying it for what it is and can't wait for the next episode

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by NikGixer750 View Post
    That's cause she's got the thickest plot armor ever.

This season's been a disappointment. Then again, I don't think I've ever watched a series where the last season wasn't terrible, so maybe that's just the way things go?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BadgerUK View Post
    Agreed, with the death of the Night King the show has lost the best part of the story line.
    The writing has been majorly dumbed down and far too much crowd pleasing going on.
    The show has lost its gritty edge and timing, it is now just a disjointed collection of scenes.
    It is like seeing a once great boxer continuing to fight when they should have retired last year.

Episode 1 - 6 out of 10 - you can see the degradation in almost every aspect, very disappointing.
    Episode 2 - 8 out of 10 - a partial recovery.
    Episode 3 - 5 out of 10 - pretty poor and badly botched with dark scenes. No twist, no explanation of the Night Kings reasons. The musical score was very good which stops me giving it a 4. I suppose you could say the twist is season 8 ended after 3 episodes.
    Episode 4 - 4 out of 10 - Opening scene quite good, but how did rows 2-4 of the funeral pyres catch light ?
    A real mishmash of poor scenes and writing. Bronn's total naivety in threatening Jamie and Tyrion rather than just sitting down and talking with them. How do you stick 2 large arrows in the chest and 1 in the head of the smaller dragon (great accurate shooting) but then completely miss the bigger dragon next to it ?
    Episode 5 - actually 50/50 whether I will bother to watch it.

I think i will convert over to Vikings, I have seen some of the episodes and I like it.
    With regard to the funeral pyres, there were people with torches stood next to them.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    With regard to the funeral pyres, there were people with torches stood next to them.
    Ok missed that, I need to turn up the brightness on my TV, it has something called 'Sports Mode' that I have discovered gives the picture a boost.

Last edited by BadgerUK; 8th May 2019 at 16:11.

Still enjoying this, but I agree it’s a bit far fetched in places and has lost the shock factor of who’s going to live and die.

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt8500 View Post
    ...., but I agree it’s a bit far fetched in places .....
    Its a fantasy tv series with dragons and zombie soldiers and magic and stuff...of course it's far fetched!

Quote Originally Posted by village View Post
    Its a fantasy tv series with dragons and zombie soldiers and magic and stuff...of course it's far fetched!
    I know, but it’s still got to make sense in the universe created. Too much plot armour has crept in for my liking!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by village View Post
    Any more than EastEnders? Plenty of dragons and zombies in that. So I'm told.

Journeyman
    I've managed to avoid spoilers but the internet is full of them for the last 2 episodes. Getting hard to avoid.

Finally managed to watch the episode. Some of my thoughts -

1. The writing has got extraordinary sloppy and basic. So many things as most of you have mentioned. My particular annoyance was Tyrion calling out Brienne's virginity. That was a bit cruel and not very Tyrion like. Clearly seemed as a contrived way to get her and Jaime into bed.

2. The accuracy with those arrows with the dragon. Erm yea right. The show has done everything in its power to rein in the dragon wild card. Almost as if they realised they would be too powerful and thought crap must do something to even the fight. I could believe the Night King taking one down, but don't think that Euron has that accuracy.

3. So you destroy the fleet and just take Missandei as your prisoner???

4. The contrived nature to make Dany look as if she's going mad. Not sure that is necessary.

5. Also Sansa - to make it purely sound the only way a woman can become 'stronger' is to basically get raped and abused and to come back from that. I get it in the context of Westros, but it's a step backwards for me.

I'm just going to enjoy the rest for what it is now, as I've said before it's no coincidence that the sloppy writing has started once we reached the end of the written books. I just hope GRRM has genuinely finished WoW!

Oh edit to add - surely Cersei is now favourite to (still) remain on the Iron Throne right?

The writing in most big US TV shows is unbelievably sloppy and lazy. GOT has gone that way since they went beyond the books' the exception being season 6 where somehow they managed to play an absolute blinder.

It seems like US TV execs think that the plot isn't important but it was the unexpected twists and turns in the first 4 series that made GOT so popular, had it been like this from the start it wouldn't have become such a phenomenon.

Anyway as disappointing as this season has been so far I'm still intrigued to see how it ends. I wonder if they are going fully down the mad queen route with Dany and Jamie will be "Queenslayer" this time.

Master
    Apparently episode 5 has leaked somewhere on the interwebs and people have seen it.

I can't say I'm excited to see it

Master
    No spoilers but I woke up at 4am and watched this - disappointing to say the least.

No spoilers but I woke up at 4am and watched this - disappointing to say the least.
    I've just finished watching it now and I thought it was the best episode of the season so far!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Lampoc View Post
    I've just finished watching it now and I thought it was the best episode of the season so far!
    That’s probably true. Just all a bit predictable I feel and none of the episodes are of the quality of previous seasons in my opinion.

Master
    The best episode of this particular season, yes. There were a couple of good scenes and plot twists, but nothing like GoT in the past. I think they're just rushing to end it now.

Watched it this morning too - almost closed it a few times. I just don't get it: they rushed the action so much in the previous episodes for what - to show King's Landing burning for 50 minutes? I think my biggest gripe with GoT now is that they rush the interesting/important bits then spend a ridiculous amount of time depicting scenes that could have been a quarter as long (and of course, missing other interesting/important bits because they've run out of time).

I dunno for me it was deeply unsatisfying.
    And why on earth people with castles and high walls keep sticking their men out in front of the fortifications.
    Maybe el finale will deliver some satisfaction.

Craftsman
    I thought it was a good episode, on a par with episode 2.
    Avoiding spoilers I hope, I don't see how you get stabbed twice with a long dagger and walk away, not even possible in a fantasy comic.
    The deaths seemed to just be a plot tidy up and lacked surprise or twist, clearly the series has been dumbed down. Also that bl@@dy dragon has a body far too big and heavy to fly with those wings.
    For once I thought Emilia Clarke put in a strong acting performance.
    Jon Snow seems to do an increasingly good impression of the dimmest man in Westeros.
    It is very sad a once stunning series is petering out as bang average.

Master

Game of Thrones

Best episode of the season, yet still all episodes from seasons 1-7 are far better, so I don’t think it’s really a compliment.
    Best ending for the series would’ve been that the show had been cancelled after the season 7.
    Last edited by EJL25; 13th May 2019 at 17:11.

Master

Game of Thrones

Double post.