closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Mercedes GLB 220d - has anyone owned one?

Red face Mercedes GLB 220d - has anyone owned one?

I'd appreciate any input or advice on this diesel engine and how good or bad it is in 'real world' situations. Noise/ smoothness / fuel consumption, etc.

I'm thinking of buying a 2021 model within the next week or two.

Thanks in advance. :)

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by The Hack View Post
    I'd appreciate any input or advice on this diesel engine and how good or bad it is in 'real world' situations. Noise/ smoothness / fuel consumption, etc.

I'm thinking of buying a 2021 model within the next week or two.

Thanks in advance. :)
    I had that engine in my E Class mated to the 9 speed auto. It’s a bit knocky on start up but soon quietens down when warm, fuel economy was very good with performance being adequate. I do remember brimming it in Stoke on Trent then next day we set off to Le Mans brimmed back up in Rouen circa £36 that was four years ago
    Last edited by hilly10; 2nd June 2023 at 16:49.

Mercedes GLB 220d - has anyone owned one?

I think the 2021 models have the new 2.0l engine rather than the 2.1l of earlier 220d models.

We have found the older engine to be very good in a 2005 E220, a 2013 E250 (same engine, higher output) and the 2018 GLC220 we currently have.

On the assumption that the new engine is an improvement on the ok, you’ll probably be very happy with it.

They all respond well to a remap too.
    Last edited by Dave+63; 2nd June 2023 at 17:45.

Exclamation

Thanks both - I'm freaking out a bit about all the Mercs currently undriveable due to faulty NOX sensors (in petrol and diesel models) and then no parts availability for MONTHS due to worldwide shortages.

My Dad coincidentally has had a faulty NOX sensor (petrol 'C-class') and although it's under a Merc 'Approved Used' warranty, he's been told not to drive it long distances and no more than 500 miles. He's been waiting 2 months so far and the dealer has no idea when a new sensor will be available.

Almost ready to pull the plug on my GLB purchase and plump for an Audi Q5 instead. :(

Master
    I got an A6 recently and am massively impressed with it! I had a Merc E-Class E220d a couple of cars ago, whilst competent and a great cruiser the Audi is, in my opinion, such a better place to be.

I occasionally watch 'Calvins Car diay' on YouTube. He quite often compares Audi and Merc interiors, I'm always surprised at the poor durability of Mercs "leather" seats. It's almost as if the newer Mercs look the part aesthetically but have been built using poor quality materials. It's a recurring theme on his YouTube channel.

My experience was that my Merc faired quite well but i never loved it, it was a competent mile muncher but that was it.

The Audi, whilst more conservative and less showy on the interior is such a nice place to be! So much so I'm swapping to a newer A6 C8 version.

Each to their own I guess and I absolutely appreciate everyone's views will vary of both brands. I wasn't aware of the NOX sensor shortage

Sent from my SM-S908B using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    It's always beent he case that you have to be doing some serious mileage to be worth buying a diesel and that's got even more so with current fuel pricing, changing patterns (less people doing big miles) and LEZs are hammering diesel residual values.

Unless you've done the maths and can prove you're saving money, I'd buy petrol/hybrid. I'd second the Audi too - the A6 is a massively underrated machine.

Red face

Thanks All. I’ve ended up buying an Audi Q5, petrol hybrid. :) Collecting next week.