closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: A keeper at last - SBBN035 Tuna content!

Master
    Blog Entries

A keeper at last - SBBN035 Tuna content!

I recently bought my SBBN035 Tuna from Sales Corner and I think it will be a keeper. I have flipped a lot of watches over the last couple of years looking for my ideal daily wearer, including an SBBN015 which, despite the similarities with my latest watch, just wasn’t for me.

I have seen the SBBN035 described as a Darth Tuna and a Stealth Tuna on account of its black DLC coating and its white/red/blue) on black day/date ring. For me, the coating transforms the appearance when compared to the brushed steel finish of the SBBN015. The design (although identical under the finish) does not appear as brutal and the white markings on the high gloss bezel look so crisp. I’m not normally a fan of glossy bezels, but the width of the gloss area is narrow, so it doesn’t look too dressy. It looks great!

The other difference I really like is the silicone strap. All but two of the watches I have had in the past 40 years have had bracelets, which I have always preferred. But this rubber strap makes such a difference to the heft of the watch. It still feels balanced on the wrist, but it’s so much lighter than the SBBN015 (despite its titanium clasp - aka the 'scratch magnet'). The other thing I really like about the rubber is its very slight flare as it joins lugs – it makes the transition from case to strap look a little softer than the abrupt transition from perfect circle of the case to parallel lines for the bracelet on the 015. Not having to get a jeweller to adjust the length was a bonus too!

The 7C46 movement is also a bonus. It may be a quartz, but a good quality one only found in these Marinemasters (as far as I know) and designed to be ultra robust and reliable – essential when being used for its original purpose (though sadly, I think my diving days are over).

Here’s a wrist shot on my 7.25ish inch wrist

ATB

Jon

Nice thread. There is some more information on the movement here: http://forums.watchuseek.com/f21/wha.../topics/439547

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Glen Goyne View Post
    Nice thread. There is some more information on the movement here: http://forums.watchuseek.com/f21/wha.../topics/439547

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks v much for the link - very informative.

Shropshire, UK, by the grace of God. dougdarter@aol.com
    I too have just joined the ranks of Tuna ownership, with an SBB015. My third Tuna over the years, but this one is just perfect. I do enjoy having a watch that needs little maintenance in the way of winding!!

I too hope that this is a keeper!!

Quote Originally Posted by JonRA View Post
    I recently bought my SBBN035 Tuna from Sales Corner and I think it will be a keeper. I have flipped a lot of watches over the last couple of years looking for my ideal daily wearer, including an SBBN015 which, despite the similarities with my latest watch, just wasn’t for me.

I have seen the SBBN035 described as a Darth Tuna and a Stealth Tuna on account of its black DLC coating and its white/red/blue) on black day/date ring. For me, the coating transforms the appearance when compared to the brushed steel finish of the SBBN015. The design (although identical under the finish) does not appear as brutal and the white markings on the high gloss bezel look so crisp. I’m not normally a fan of glossy bezels, but the width of the gloss area is narrow, so it doesn’t look too dressy. It looks great!

The other difference I really like is the silicone strap. All but two of the watches I have had in the past 40 years have had bracelets, which I have always preferred. But this rubber strap makes such a difference to the heft of the watch. It still feels balanced on the wrist, but it’s so much lighter than the SBBN015 (despite its titanium clasp - aka the 'scratch magnet'). The other thing I really like about the rubber is its very slight flare as it joins lugs – it makes the transition from case to strap look a little softer than the abrupt transition from perfect circle of the case to parallel lines for the bracelet on the 015. Not having to get a jeweller to adjust the length was a bonus too!

The 7C46 movement is also a bonus. It may be a quartz, but a good quality one only found in these Marinemasters (as far as I know) and designed to be ultra robust and reliable – essential when being used for its original purpose (though sadly, I think my diving days are over).

Here’s a wrist shot on my 7.25ish inch wrist

ATB

Jon

Master
    Never seen one of these before. That looks pretty stunning. Enjoy.

Master
    I've had one of those, plus a couple of other Tunas. The only downside for me is the day-date feature. It's a high accuracy quartz watch, so I really don't want to bother unscrewing and screwing the crown other than making the one hour adjustments for spring and winter. At a push, I can tolerate the date feature. But not the day as well. That's just me being picky.
    Anyhow, that's why I have a CWC quartz non-date watch right now and not a Tuna.

Very nice. Well done!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Thank you RAJEN and troymclure72

And enjoy your 015 Doug Darter (from my favourite county!)

seabiscuit -I know what you mean. I had a white-faced GS Quartz Dover got a while and that was perfect from so many perspectives, including the lack of date for exactly the reason you suggest. But I found it a little too dressy and I didn't like the thick extending clasp - beautifully engineered but too bulky. Now I will be in danger of looking out for a CWC (only joking - hopefully!)

ATB

Jon

SEIKO have recently released some new affordable tuna's around the £200 mark , srp641, srp639

Not In The same league as the sbbn015 though to be honest .

Master
    Jon. Enjoy your new Tuna. It's a great watch and I have to admit that I miss mine. And I think you'd enjoy a CWC too.

Journeyman
    Nice watch

Love the Ninja tuna. I think Darth refers to the SBBN013/SBDX011 1000m divers?

Journeyman
    It looks great.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rogerf View Post
    Love the Ninja tuna. I think Darth refers to the SBBN013/SBDX011 1000m divers?
    Ah - thanks v much rogerf - Ninja it is!

Glad others like it too - I'm very pleased with it. BTW the new hands make for great legibility day or night (any allusion to ninja stealth falls away as Seiko's lume kicks in!)

ATB

Jon