closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Short trip to Singapore - Where to get a Grand Seiko

Short trip to Singapore - Where to get a Grand Seiko

I can't find a recent thread so was wondering if anyone had any tips for Singapore. I'm on a very short business trip next week staying on Orchard Road, Thought I may treat myself to a Grand Seiko (probably a SGX065) whilst there. Anyone know of anywhere near Hotel Jen Orchardgateway or any tips on where to look nearby?

Thanks

Ian
    Last edited by Barton Red; 22nd April 2016 at 16:45. Reason: thought I'd specify the model

Master
    There’s this thing called Google – you’ve likely heard mention of it.
    It’s a great little invention, and it does these wonderful magical things, oh…like tell you where to find things, for example.

http://www.grand-seiko.com/store/asia/singapore.php

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
    It’s a great little invention, and it does these wonderful magical things, oh…like tell you where to find things, for example.

That's really quite rude and unnecessary.

If you don't want to offer advice or can't think of anything constructive to add how about not saying anything at all?

Re. The op question, I can't help but I'm interested in the answer as I hope to be in Singapore later this year.

I was hoping to draw on TZ members experience, generally I've always found this to be a friendly and informative place. Not the sort of response I expected on here. Poor form.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by paule23 View Post
    That's really quite rude and unnecessary.

If you don't want to offer advice or can't think of anything constructive to add how about not saying anything at all?

Re. The op question, I can't help but I'm interested in the answer as I hope to be in Singapore later this year.
    You’re new here, you’ll get used to the banter, arguments, bitching, requests for a separate SC for non-watch related charity shop junk stuff.
    You’ll also learn that we appreciate those who help themselves first, instead of making this place the initial port of call – we can’t abide the terminally lazy, since if you’ve managed to figure out how to find this place and register, then Googling should be a complete doddle by comparison.
    There’s plenty of help to be had when you’ve come unstuck.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Barton Red View Post
    I was hoping to draw on TZ members experience, generally I've always found this to be a friendly and informative place. Not the sort of response I expected on here. Poor form.
    It is – for those who can be bothered to try to find the answer for themselves, first.
    You know where you’re going to be.
    You know what exactly it is that you want.
    How difficult was it to search for “Grand Seiko Singapore” and see what it threw up?
    You’ve been here longer than me, surely to God this can’t be breaking news to you?

Not the sort of response I expected on here. Poor form.
    About average, I'd say—but he did answer your question, albeit with a side of snark. Or hadn't you noticed?

It is – for those who can be bothered to try to find the answer for themselves, first.
    You know where you’re going to be.
    You know what exactly it is that you want.
    How difficult was it to search for “Grand Seiko Singapore” and see what it threw up?
    You’ve been here longer than me, surely to God this can’t be breaking news to you?
    I was asking for tips, not the sort of thing you get from google, I hoped to draw on the memberships experience, you know 'I used this shop and got a discount' that sort of thing. Sorry I thought that was one of the things watch talk was for?

Quote Originally Posted by bitfield View Post
    About average, I'd say—but he did answer your question, albeit with a side of snark. Or hadn't you noticed?
    I was after tips and experience, so no it didn't really answer my question. I agree it was a snide remark.

Banned
    Are you ever in Japan? It is likely that you will get a better deal there.

Quote Originally Posted by GrandS View Post
    Are you ever in Japan? It is likely that you will get a better deal there.
    Not yet, I may well get a trip there later in the year, worth the wait?

Good grief, someone asking for watch related advice on a watch forum.

Whatever next?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    There's a member here who is from Singapore, I'll ask Him and hope He can help... maybe He will reply if there's a chance.

Master
    OP.. If nothing else comes of this thread, please do post back on here after your trip as I'll be over there in July... So interested in your personal experience rather than just what Google throws up.
    Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by mjoranga View Post
    There's a member here who is from Singapore, I'll ask Him and hope He can help... maybe He will reply if there's a chance.
    Thank you, That's the sort of help I'm looking for.

Banned
    Not yet, I may well get a trip there later in the year, worth the wait?
    Yes, I think you can get a significant saving. I highly recommend Yodobashi camera http://www.yodobashi.com/
    They have shops in most major Japanese cities and if you like electronics you will feel like you are in paradise. You can for example try a huge selection of headphones.

They offer a range of Grand Seiko and they are usually already discounted. There is no need for you to ask for a discount. On top of the discount you can get tax back when you leave Japan.

http://www.yodobashi.com/%E3%82%BB%E...0001001164554/

A Seiko SBGX065 is 198,720 yen. That amount minus 8% is 182,822 yen or 1137 British Pounds. I doubt you will beat that in Singapore.

Master
    Thank you, That's the sort of help I'm looking for.
    I'm sure He will reply when it's day light... atm it's probably 5 or 6 am now... 4:40am actually
    Last edited by mjoranga; 22nd April 2016 at 21:39.

Seiko SBGX065 is 198,720 yen. That amount minus 8% is 182,822 yen or 1137 British Pounds. I doubt you will beat that in Singapore.
    Thanks, that's good to know what I'm aiming at.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm sure He will reply when it's day light... atm it's probably 5 or 6 am now...
    I'm trying not to think about the time difference!

Wow Barton you must have really upset someone, I'm always amazed how some people are so negative about some posts, yes we all know about Google, but this is a watch forum, so any watch related questions go, and then to throw up the "you're new here" bs, lighten up

Quote Originally Posted by Neilw3030 View Post
    Wow Barton you must have really upset someone, I'm always amazed how some people are so negative about some posts, yes we all know about Google, but this is a watch forum, so any watch related questions go, and then to throw up the "you're new here" bs, lighten up
    I think some people are born upset.

The snarky responses are unfortunate & unnecessary TBH.

Theres an awful lot to be said for the old adage; 'if you cant say a good thing then dont say a bad'.

Old 'watchuseek' is almost based on this sort of thing and its the very reason why I cant be bothered going there anymore.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TimeThoughts View Post
    The snarky responses are unfortunate & unnecessary TBH.

Theres an awful lot to be said for the old adage; 'if you cant say a good thing then dont say a bad'.

Old 'watchuseek' is almost based on this sort of thing and its the very reason why I cant be bothered going there anymore.
    I'm pretty new here and the same at WUS, so far haven't encounter snarky responses at WUS... I think I've PM PJS at WUS for some advices and He was pretty helpful. Maybe it's just a cheeky or jokey response.

You'll learn always the wrong time of the month for the bitches ,but if it's a strap topic in the wrong section that's ok

Master
    If it's important that you can physically examine the watches, then you are going to use shoe leather and visit the stores. But if the aim is best price then simply buying direct from Japan is probably cheapest. I was given the names of several reliable Japanese dealers on this very forum, and have a new Grand Seiko provided by Higuchi, no fuss, low prices, brand new goods.
    So, if you can't find what you want, all is not lost. And prices direct from Japan may be cheapest of all. The GS I bought cost about 35% less than through a UK dealer.

Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    And prices direct from Japan may be cheapest of all. The GS I bought cost about 35% less than through a UK dealer.
    Even with Her Majesty's 20% ?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    Even with Her Majesty's 20% ?
    I paid all the taxes requested by HMC.

Banned
    The GS I bought cost about 35% less than through a UK dealer.
    That sounds pretty good. Just realize that the OP should be able to buy the GS he wants for 1137 pounds. I believe it costs 2000 pounds from a UK dealer. That makes it 43% less.

Banned
    The GS I bought cost about 35% less than through a UK dealer.
    That sounds pretty good. Just realize that the OP should be able to buy the GS he wants for 1137 pounds. I believe it costs 2000 pounds from a UK dealer. That makes it 43% less.
    Guys, without looking for a lesson on economics, why is this?

I’d love to be able to buy ‘easily’ at the Japanese price points and would certainly own more than one GS.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by burnsey66 View Post

I’d love to be able to buy ‘easily’ at the Japanese price points and would certainly own more than one GS.
    It is because Yodobashi Camera is a huge operation and they probably buy a large amount of watches from Seiko and therefore pay less then smaller players. They pass some of their saving on to the consumer. They are not a flashy high end watch dealer. They have huge shops that sell a wide variety of products...

The bottom line is that they can afford to operate with a smaller profit margin than an exclusive watch dealer and they probably pay Seiko less for the watches in the first place.

I am not sure if you can buy from Yodobashi online. I do know that you can buy from them very easily if you happen to be in Japan.

Banned
    It is because Yodobashi Camera is a huge operation and they probably buy a large amount of watches from Seiko and therefore pay less then smaller players. They pass some of their saving on to the consumer. They are not a flashy high end watch dealer. They have huge shops that sell a wide variety of products...

The bottom line is that they can afford to operate with a smaller profit margin than an exclusive watch dealer and they probably pay Seiko less for the watches in the first place.

I am not sure if you can buy from Yodobashi online. I do know that you can buy from them very easily if you happen to be in Japan.
    Many thanks.

Many thanks.
    If you are looking to buy from the UK Higuchi offers very good prices for not just GS but pretty much all JDM stuff (Royal Orient, Citizen chronomaster etc)

Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    If you are looking to buy from the UK Higuchi offers very good prices for not just GS but pretty much all JDM stuff (Royal Orient, Citizen chronomaster etc)
    Higuchi won't send GS to the UK.

Master
    I was asking for tips, not the sort of thing you get from google, I hoped to draw on the memberships experience, you know 'I used this shop and got a discount' that sort of thing. Sorry I thought that was one of the things watch talk was for?
    Just ignore him, he doesn't speak for the whole of the forum, as far as I am aware. Let us know how you get on as I have friends in Singapore and have often wondered if it's worthwhile asking them to pick one up and ship it to Oz.

Master
    Really? Then how come a GS 117 arrived at my house this morning...from Higuchi? They were delighted to sell one to me. same with several other Japanese dealers who might show deference to Seiko on their public websites.
    Incidentally, it was this forum who put me onto Higuchi in the first place.

I think its Seiya that doesnt send to UK l, Higuchi always has

I'll eat crow then and apologise for the bum info....

Master
    I'll eat crow then and apologise for the bum info....
    Don't worry. If anyone wants more options they could always use Chrono24 to find contact addresses for Japanese trusted sellers. I E-mailed several and all came back with firm quotes. Higuchi is a good firm but there are alternatives.

Master

Short trip to Singapore - Where to get a Grand Seiko

I live in Singapore, actually about 5 minutes from where you're staying!

I wouldn't bother buying a watch new in Singapore right now - the GBP is totally shit against the SGD so watches are 15-20% or so more expensive for you than they were a year ago.

If you'd like to have a look at some GSs anyway though, head down to the Seiko boutique in VivoCity at Harbourfront MRT.

Last edited by ddm27; 23rd April 2016 at 18:14.

Master
    One of the member also told Me that GS isn't a good deal in Singapore, He is base there atm and prefers to go to Bangkok instead. My other friend will hopefully give His info here but just had a busy Saturday as He needs to work. Hopefully He will find time shortly...

Banned
    Many thanks.
    Just be aware that I think Yodobashi only carries low to mid range GS. I think the high end stuff such as Hi-Beat and Spring drive is only sold at dedicated authorized GS dealers.

if you go to japan

I've always got a lot of good watches from jackroad

Quote Originally Posted by ddm27 View Post
    I live in Singapore, actually about 5 minutes from where you're staying!

I wouldn't bother buying a watch new in Singapore right now - the GBP is totally shit against the SGD so watches are 15-20% or so more expensive for you than they were a year ago.

If you'd like to have a look at some GSs anyway though, head down to the Seiko boutique in VivoCity at Harbourfront MRT.

Thanks, that's the sort of advice I was looking for.

One of the member also told Me that GS isn't a good deal in Singapore, He is base there atm and prefers to go to Bangkok instead. My other friend will hopefully give His info here but just had a busy Saturday as He needs to work. Hopefully He will find time shortly...
    Thanks, I may well restrict myself to window shopping with my calculator rather than just the "man maths"

I'm possibly answering a slightly different question here as I am interested in buying used/vintage GS, but this is still germane and quite possibly of interest.

A friend of mine in Malta who is a big collector of JDM Seiko and Citizen advised me to open an account with shoppingmalljapan.com who provide a local bidding, payment and shipping service for customers in the West wanting to buy from Yahoo Auctions in Japan and other Japanese outlets. I wanted a GS SBGF009, non-date quartz which can't be found outside Japan. I'm still waiting for it to arrive but my friend has made dozens of purchases through this outfit and tells me he has had no problems.

Hey Barton: I am the Singapore based member. There is a Grand a Seiko shop in Vivocity but the prices are steep and discounts minimal.

As mentioned you really should do a Japan trip and not just to buy a GS!

There used to be a good GS shop in HK at IFC but now closed I think.

Best place in the region for Grand Seiko is Bangkok, there is a great watch counter at Paragon Mall. That's where I bought my GMT. In fact Bangkok is a great city for watches and I am not talking about the street markets!

Quote Originally Posted by proby24 View Post
    Hey Barton: I am the Singapore based member. There is a Grand a Seiko shop in Vivocity but the prices are steep and discounts minimal.

As mentioned you really should do a Japan trip and not just to buy a GS!

There used to be a good GS shop in HK at IFC but now closed I think.

Best place in the region for Grand Seiko is Bangkok, there is a great watch counter at Paragon Mall. That's where I bought my GMT. In fact Bangkok is a great city for watches and I am not talking about the street markets!
    Cheers. I think it's going to be window shopping only by the sound of it.

Master
    Cheers. I think it's going to be window shopping only by the sound of it.
    Sounds like You're right, but just try... First time lucky might be on Your side...

Greeting from Bangkok.

I called Trocadero Time (Thailand Grand Seiko Distributor) just now and they said that this particular model is not available. "0" in the computer, with no pricing shown which means the company decided not to sell this model.

Sorry I can't help to check on the price for you to compare.

By the way, I personally think that Japan is the best place to buy watches, new and used. You can find great used watches in term of price and rarity in Japan, not only Seiko but all other brands. If you have time to visit then I encourage you to do so. You will love it there. It's like a watch heaven!!

Kris

Reply --

Phew, It's been a long time since I was here.

Anyways, Barton Red, from your hotel, it appears that this place at Wisma Atria is the closest for you, walking distance from your hotel.

World of Watches II
    435 Orchard Road #03-01E Wisma Atria Singapore(238877)

I have not been to this place, but have been to the other Grand Seiko boutiques are managed by the local Seiko Agent. Here's the link.

This is the place mentioned by the others. Convenient if you are visiting Sentosa.

SEIKO Boutique managed by City Chain
    Vivocity #01-03, 1 HarbourFront Walk, Singapore 098585

This other place will be just a few train stops away from your hotel.

SEIKO Boutique managed by City Chain
    JEM 50, Jurong Gateway Road, #01-29, Singapore 608549

It's nice to be able to pop into the shop and have a feel; nothing like putting the watch on your wrist before you decide.

There are a lot of pre-owned watch shops around. If you were to buy a pre-owned Rolex, you can easily bring it to the Rolex Centre (which is near your hotel) for verification, cost about S$117 and you will get a nice green Rolex watch pouch and polishing cloth thrown in.

There are numerous watch boutiques all within walking distance, waiting for your money. I think if you buy, you will be able to claim your GST (tax) rebate at the airport on your way home. Don't forget. (Till today HM Customs has not credited my VAT refund from LHR)

You should be able to get at least 15 o 20% off the retail price, depending on the shop.

Enjoy and good luck. Don't forget to have a Tiger, its quite hot these days.

:)

Thanks to all the answers chaps. I'll hopefully get chance to take a look tomorrow evening. it ain't half hot mum!