closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Debit card fraud

Master

Debit card fraud

I was checking my account today to check for cleared funds and saw some little b*****d has used my card to spend an amount online yesterday.

Just spoke to Natwest fraud team, they have cancelled my card and I will be refunded by 10am tomorrow morning. How can this happen? The card hasn't been out of my wallet in the last two days!

It is frustrating as it is linked to my Uber account, Amazon account, eBay account etc. I use it to travel on the Tube and is just generally easier than carrying cash.

I'll have another card in a few days but I had only just memorised the flipping number of this one!

Anyone else experienced this?

I had 2 fraudulent charges on my business card a couple of months ago; one was a £265 online purchase from a BT shop and the other was a £5 test purchase from Ocado. Strangely enough it was the £5 test purchase which triggered the alert. I had no problem getting a refund but the card had never left my possession either.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Master
    Just a few hundred thousand of us I expect!

It's bloody annoying more than financially damaging, but feels like you've been mugged.

It's happened to me twice unfortunately.

I had a text on Sunday allegedly from my back asking did I just attempt a transaction for £16.50 , if yes text back Y if not cal back on xyz. Being sceptical I googled the number and it was indeed my banks fraud dept! Upon calling them there had been 3 attempts that day, one went through the other two were stopped, the flag was that they were magnetic strip attempts, not chip and pin or by using the cvv code on the back, great job by them and money refunded and I've got a new card, scary stuff though, I'll never know where they got the info though.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Journeyman
    Same thing happened to me this weekend. Small transaction, then trying to take £20 / £30 on phone topups from Gibraltar.

Natwest stopped some of them, but others went through so are now part of a separate investigation as they missed them...!

What pisses me off is that the Police and the bank have 0 interest in these crimes. All brushed under the carpet. I had to kick off to get a letter rather than a txt message confirming what happens with my refund!

Hundreds of millions must be written off annually .
    Cheers..
    Jase

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    Hundreds of millions must be written off annually .
    Search any Chinese direct to customer supplier for "card skimmer" and you get 100s of results. Seeing as it's all online (I don't think chip & pin is cracked) the Police / banks really dont seem arsed. Except if you admit someone else *may* have had access to your wallet then they try and deny a refund etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Regular View Post
    Search any Chinese direct to customer supplier for "card skimmer" and you get 100s of results. Seeing as it's all online (I don't think chip & pin is cracked) the Police / banks really dont seem arsed. Except if you admit someone else *may* have had access to your wallet then they try and deny a refund etc.
    Chip and PIN has been cracked and it's not as secure as you might think anyway.

The biggest problem with C&P is that a lot of countries are using Chip and Signature, so a skimmed UK card tends to get used abroad where they still allow a signature (such as the US or India), and of course a signature can't be verified by the card issuer / processor at the point of sale. When my card was skimmed (and no idea where it was done) the first I knew was when the issuer contacted me to ask about Chip & Signature transactions in the US on the same day as a legitimate PIN controlled sale went through in the UK.

In terms of banks writing off this type of fraud, yes it's cheaper to write off than it is to investigate it.
    It's also considerably cheaper to write it off than come up with a more secure way to perform transactions such as biometric validation (which doesn't help with on-line fraud protection anyway).

Journeyman
    I don't think the banks will admit chip & pin isn't secure. It turns the onus onto you at the moment if a C&P transaction is queried. If they admit it can hacked then I guess they think people will make fraudulent claims...

Few years ago my mastercard was used in las vegas for a hotel, at £3500 !!
    Like you it was a major pain in the butt, as it was linked to paypal, amazon etc etc

Hsbc covered it thankfully.

Master
    My mastercard details were apparently stolen from hotels.com or some of their partners.
    They spent around £5k but luckily I was covered.

My credit card was used for a small test amount in India last year. Luckily Barclays flagged it and it was sorted within a very short period. I had only used the card once in a 3 month period ironically at a local Indian restaurant which as far as I'm concerned were somehow connected, I may be wrong but I reasoned some sod could easily pass the details to a family member.

Wasn't there a thread on here recently, or maybe it was on facebook, about people using contactless scanners on the tube to scan cards in peoples pockets to nick cash?

Brighty

I had my phone number with O2 ported without my permission to Vodaphone ..
    Natwest banking app used to transfer between my accounts ..
    A bank account with Barclays opened in my name then £10,000 transferred from Natwest to Barclays via telephone banking which I do not have .
    O2 informed me as I complained my phone was not working, my atm card said no on the same day so I went into Natwest where an idiot after showing me the computer screen said you've made the mistake this is not possible , the manageress rang the fraud department and then turned a nice grey and explained there's another transfer pending , anyway the following Monday my money was refunded and I received a letter from Natwest about how I could improve my banking security ....

Oh Dear , What A Pitty , Never Mind .... Halfwits ..

A while ago I noticed three strange payments between £5 and £20 had gone out so I called smile and they cancelled the card, sent me a new one and refunded the payments. They were all for Vodafone sim cards at three different locations.

I'm usually very careful about where I use my card online and there was no other suspicious activity on any linked accounts. I could only think it was a skim from a dodgy looking ATM I'd used the previous week after a 'few' beers. About two weeks later I noticed the ATM had been replaced with a spanking new one so I think I was right.

Master
    A couple of years back my wife ordered some takeaway pizza from the local Papa Johns. A few days later a couple of dodgy transactions appeared on her account. One of the muppets at the pizza place had used the card details to pay their car insurance. The bank was contacted and the card stopped, the police were informed who advised they would take no further action due to insufficient evidence as to who was responsible at the shop.

We don't have chip and pin here only signature.
    I have pointed out several times to customers of mine that they have not signed the card.
    The answer being " if I don't sign it you have to ask for ID "

No you numpty I'll just steal the card and sign it myself.

Other customers have "request ID" written on signature strip.

With Scotiabank the security is rubbish so we have had our MasterCard copied multiple times.
    You then find out that several hundred cards have been copied- inside job at bank.

The rule here is if the bank finds an employee stealing 3 times they will sack them!

Sent from my iWatch using magic

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Regular View Post
    I don't think the banks will admit chip & pin isn't secure. It turns the onus onto you at the moment if a C&P transaction is queried. If they admit it can hacked then I guess they think people will make fraudulent claims...
    The other thing that banks won't admit is inside jobs.

Master
    In December I had £180 (Betway) & £5.99 (Netflixs) charge to my Mastercard, after I made a compliant I got a refund after 30 days.

In January I had another £5.99 by (Netflixs)
    In February I had £175 (Betfair) £5.99 (Netflixs)

I also got my money back from both Betfair & Netflixs and a new card, the customer services rep said "the fraud maybe link to my recent purchase of travel insurance, where little shops, small websites/companies do not have strong internet security".

Please careful what websites you used and make sure when you are at the checkout page that there is a padlock next to the website address.

E too

I've had cards cloned a few times over the years and my identity once too which was worse in my opinion (if I ever wanted to go self employed again and required a business loan for example). I now have Experian protectmyid, which is a monthly fee and gives another little layer of security on credit searches. Touch wood, not happened since. Well recommended for extra peace of mind.

Most random thing taken on a card of mine though was £8k to a supplier of fork lift trucks. Big balls whoever did that one!

As a policeman pointed out to me years ago when it first happened, it's not personal and it's not your money they're stealing, it's the bank/credit card companies. Still a pain and a bloody hassle when it happens though.

Master
    I have had my MBNA cards replaced twice in the last month due to attempted fraud. No money taken (Amex just seemed to think it had been compromised somehow) but still a right pain due to all the direct debits etc that needed to be set up again

Master
    Blog Entries
    Never happened to me, touch wood. It must be a pain though to travel to India for a holiday and try to use your card to buy a newspaper. It must raise an immediate red flag.

I have robust anti fraud protection anyway (no money).

Quote Originally Posted by rico View Post
    It is frustrating as it is linked to my Uber account, Amazon account, eBay account etc. I use it to travel on the Tube and is just generally easier than carrying cash.
    Tell me about it ... Natwest sent me a card that did not work online - only noticed after I had updated all my web accounts, then they sent me another, had to update them all again
    complained and they actually paid me some compensation for the time wasted on the above...

I had 2 cases of this, one was tacked down to an Indian restaurant, the other was a petrol station in German.

In both cases First Direct were very quick in sorting it out.

It's a RITA but it happens

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Brighty View Post
    Wasn't there a thread on here recently, or maybe it was on facebook, about people using contactless scanners on the tube to scan cards in peoples pockets to nick cash?
    A hoax, it wasn’t real.

Quote Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
    A hoax, it wasn’t real.
    Made by the people who want to sell you an anti - scan wallet !?

Quote Originally Posted by Brighty View Post

Brighty
    And that is precisely the reason I won't have those rfid bank cards. Bad technology implementation in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkO View Post
    We don't have chip and pin here only signature.
    I have pointed out several times to customers of mine that they have not signed the card.
    The answer being " if I don't sign it you have to ask for ID "

No you numpty I'll just steal the card and sign it myself.

Other customers have "request ID" written on signature strip.

With Scotiabank the security is rubbish so we have had our MasterCard copied multiple times.
    You then find out that several hundred cards have been copied- inside job at bank.

The rule here is if the bank finds an employee stealing 3 times they will sack them!

Sent from my iWatch using magic
    Three times!!! How about just one!

Jokers.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
    A hoax, it wasn’t real.
    The specific picture/story may not have been true but the principle most definitely is real and not a hoax: It is a real, valid and actual way for thieves to steal money. It has happened in the UK and is no doubt continuing in the UK right now.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MarkO View Post
    Made by the people who want to sell you an anti - scan wallet !?
    The reality of fraud by that method is absolutely real.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    The specific picture/story may not have been true but the principle most definitely is real and not a hoax: It is a real, valid and actual way for thieves to steal money. It has happened in the UK and is no doubt continuing in the UK right now.

- - - Updated - - -

The reality of fraud by that method is absolutely real.
    My bank called me to ask about some top ups for a mobile phone a while ago. When I confirmed it wasn't me, they actually said they didn't think so and thought my account was at risk and the cards were already cancelled!

Good luck doing it these days anyway, Im down to about £3 within 48 hours of being paid these days!

Quote Originally Posted by chard101 View Post
    Three times!!! How about just one!

Jokers.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

A good friend of mine had $20k wired out of her account - you need one of those random number generator key things -( unless you are actually inside the bank)

The bank manager refused to speak to her for a week, then said if you sign this confidentially agreement we will give you the money back but not admit we did anything wrong. Stories leak out, this has happened multiple times. There is a terminal at the back that can bypass/over ride the security key requirement.

We now move any business surplus to the UK and leave the minimum here - no bank guarantee here at all !

Dealing with the morons at the banks here is nearly as bad as dealing with the government departments for stupid people in places of authority.

We were looking at raising some capital and the bank suggested if we deposited $100k with them they would then lend us $100k at 5% interest - and they think that is a good idea - ( the account manager explained that it meant we had not spent the original $100k)