closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: So I Bought A GS!

Banned

So I Bought A GS!

I’ve been a member here for a few years and am a self-confessed brand snob!

So, what is a brand snob in WIS terms?

Well for me (as I can only speak for me) it works differently for different brands. I wouldn’t be seen dead in a Christopher Ward, or a Graham for example. The ones I won’t wear are more style choices, or the way they are marketed perhaps. I find CHW a ‘Sunday supplement’ type brand with a permanent sale. For me, Graham are just plain ghastly.

With Seiko, it’s a little different again – I have happily worn their cheaper (read popular?) models, but have fallen for the adoration of their ‘icons’ too – Tuna, 62MAS, 6105 etc., but certainly shied away from the GS range – well, let’s face it, they are a five grand watch and have Seiko on the dial!

No doubt whatsoever the above clarifies I’m a snob and I do like a Rolex or two…

But the GS twitch has remained with me for years, only held back by my snobbery and perhaps fair concern over resale.

I’m not a dress watch kind of guy, so the choice I always felt I would one day own would fall between the SBGA029 200m diver and SBGE001 GMT, due to my preference for larger watches.

Rewind to last week and one of the forum flippers listed the diver and I looked a dozen times, but held back. Would I ever try one? I couldn’t in the end resist and we did a deal, arranging to collect in person. I have to say I felt immediate buyers remorse and wasn’t even excited to collect the watch. It stayed in its box for the rest of the week whilst away on business and when eventually home the bracelet was sized too small and I had no tools for pin style adjustment. A member came to the rescue, sized the watch and I chucked it on.

I have to say I didn’t think much really. It was a black dial diver. Yes, the second hand glides around, but mesmerising it is not. Different, yes, but different enough to compete with others on the box I was unsure.

I find the bracelet clasp to thick and pretty uncomfortable. I’d prefer less adjustment on the fly and a thinner clasp. For that reason I’ve an incoming Nato strap, but already think the weight of the head will make that a poor match. Rubber is an option, but I already have a couple of watches I like on rubber, so really fancied a change.

So, do I have anything positive to say about this watch?

The size/weight ratio works in a sublime way. The bezel is the best I’ve ever operated and I particularly like the second markers, which add dimension and depth to the watch.

The dial fills the case – then more second markers, but on the rehaut as opposed to the dial, creating a stunning effect for a typical Sub fan, albeit I need to tip the watch to make use of said markers. The legibility is quite simply perfect in any light, or dark, as the lume is bright with a capital B. The second hand is quite cool too.

I expected to be annoyed by the power reserve indicator, but it really doesn’t bother me. That said, I don’t see the use of one on any watch, but some must like it.

Accuracy is important to me and so far +/- 0 seconds per day, but that is what I expected, so all good there.

So, what’s the conclusion?

For me, it doesn’t beat the watch it is always compared to – the Rolex Submariner - but it competes head on for wrist time. Every one of its single elements combine effortlessly to create a watch suitable for everyday wear, which has kept my Sub off the wrist. I hate the clasp, so I need to find the best way to wear it, but that is my only real criticism.

In respect of the VFM argument, yes, if bought new you would lose money – unlike the Sub, so if residual value is key, buy used. I picked this up, a three year old example, for half RRP. As far as comparing the GS and Sub, I can conclude they are equal, excepting the bracelet.

Mine will certainly retain a permanent place in my small, mainly Swiss, collection.

And the funny thing is - of all those friends and acquaintances who have seen it so far, knowing my other choices, none have said ‘it’s only a Seiko’, reinforcing the fact - it’s all in our heads...

And to finish off, I’m going to post the best photo I’ve ever seen of this watch, by our own Andy Tims.

Last edited by burnsey66; 18th April 2016 at 20:42. Reason: Pic Added

Banned
    Congratulations, great watch.

Its a lovely looking thing and that's a great write up sir!

^^What he said ^^.

I never gave it a second glance when it was on SC but that photo certainly made me take notice!

Great watch Steve.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ive never seen you this gooey burnsey
    Lovely watch it is though.

Master
    Beautiful looking watch for sure. Never handled one, would like to though. Still not sure it could stop me from buying a Rolex.

Nice watch and great write up. Interestingly you compared it to a Submariner, but with the lack of cyclops and a date I immediately thought of the Sea-dweller.

Well done,Steve.
    It sure is a lovely thing. Nice write up too.

Blog Entries
    Lovely watch and a nice balanced write up.

You need to have one in order to fully appreciate Spring Drive.

Master
    Steve, I found it worked well on one of these:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/MiLTAT-Kevla...ar+watch+strap

It's a little stiff to start with but soon softens up (normally not a good thing!). You also need some of the thinner spring bars that have the same ends as the fat bars - I've got a few so happy to send you a set.

Regards

One of the forum flippers
    Last edited by Binsull; 18th April 2016 at 21:15.

I was sorely tempted by this GS and the only one that has ever really caught my eye. It's the hands that put me off, they're a bit playschool for my tastes. Nice to read an open and unbiased review though. I'd like to see the chunky clasp as You mentioned it in a negative light......

Grand Master
    The power indicator has it unbalanced for me,I can visualise it without,and IMO would look so much better.

Master
    A pretty fair review I would say .I have a very , very, similar GS Diver watch on it's way, but in the quartz version..sbgx117 for anyone interested.
    The Submariner is a sixty year old legend, which can't really be touched as an icon. GS is a brand apart, and you either take to what Seiko offers here, or you don't. I'm slowly coming to the view that if forced to have only one watch, it wouldn't be one of my Rolexes, fine as they are. It would be a Grand Seiko quartz.
    I just find them a delight to own and wear; none of the 'baggage' you get with watches like the Sub. That's the price of its fame.
    Fortunately, we can own mechanical and quartz watches and enjoy them all for what they are. At half price that spring drive must be great value.It's a technically complex bit of kit. But wonderfully esoteric.
    You'd find 1000 Subs for every GS spring driver divers watch.
    Last edited by paskinner; 18th April 2016 at 21:24.

I was going to give this thread a five star rating till I re read the title-So, ......
    How could you ?:-)

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    Ive never seen you this gooey burnsey
    Lovely watch it is though.
    Had to hold back the tears.

Quote Originally Posted by watchstudent View Post
    Beautiful looking watch for sure. Never handled one, would like to though. Still not sure it could stop me from buying a Rolex.
    It won’t stop you buying your first, but it may stop you buying another.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    Nice watch and great write up. Interestingly you compared it to a Submariner, but with the lack of cyclops and a date I immediately thought of the Sea-dweller.
    It’s profile is more Sub-like, that was the reason for the comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by Toshk View Post
    You need to have one in order to fully appreciate Spring Drive.
    I think you need to have any watch to appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by Binsull View Post
    Steve, I found it worked well on one of these:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/MiLTAT-Kevlar-Strap-Stitches-Screw-/dp/B00TGPTS5I/ref=sr_1_2?

One of the forum flippers
    Thanks Ben, on all points. Just received the Breitling military canvas for my Emergency and it is simply the best strap ever, so worth a few quid to try. Would also like to try a flat vent rubber.

Quote Originally Posted by manganr View Post
    I was sorely tempted by this GS and the only one that has ever really caught my eye. It's the hands that put me off, they're a bit playschool for my tastes. Nice to read an open and unbiased review though. I'd like to see the chunky clasp as You mentioned it in a negative light......
    The hands make it work - it is genuinely super legible on the faintest of glances. I take photo’s so, so badly, but may have a go - the clasp is just thick.

Quote Originally Posted by P9CLY View Post
    The power indicator has it unbalanced for me,I can visualise it without,and IMO would look so much better.
    Agreed, well sort of. It doesn’t catch the eye and I don’t see their use really, but I can take or leave it.

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    I was going to give this thread a five star rating till I re read the title-So, ......
    How could you ?:-)
    You’re lucky I didn’t tell you where I brought it from

Thanks for the comments, good or bad, from all angles. Maybe we can all live happily ever after...

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    You'd find 1000 Subs for every GS spring driver divers watch.
    add two zeros.

Quote Originally Posted by Huertecilla View Post
    add two zeros.
    Absolutely

add two zeros.
    You mean Subs are 100,000 times more popular?:-)

Very nice.
    Of your recent acquisitions I can see this getting most of your wrist time ;)

Master
    Blog Entries
    It looks a big bold watch, the hands look maxi sized. Never handled one but certainly it's one I'd like to try.

I looked at this watch so many times yesterday and when I saw it withdrawn early yesterday evening I was both relieved and rather disappointed.

Rather madly I've also spent a great deal of today still researching this model and looking at every picture and write up I can find.

Basically the things holding me back were

Size, just not sure if it's going to wear too big. 3 years back not a problem, I was a XL PO sized guy, however over the last couple of years my ideal watch size has shrunk to 40-42mm. I find my 42mm Exp II absolutely perfect in width and height.

The SBGE001 - this was the GS I thought I'd try one day.

That clasp! It looks so thick and ugly compared to an Omega or modern Rolex clasp.

It's almost too nice to be worn as a tool watch.

My ongoing saga with the Omega Tintin that may or may not turn up. If it doesn't, which is looking increasing likely then I'd have just about the right amount of cash to spend.

The fact I'd just about convinced myself to bin the Tintin and get the SubC non date and this would obviously stop me doing that.

It's a Seiko

Things in the watches favour

I just like having something different

I really like the look of this watch

Want to try a spring drive.

I could have this and a speedy for the cost of the Sub.

It's a Seiko (of the Grand variety)

I hope you enjoy it (actually I am rather jealous) and I'm interested in what you do about the clasp.

As the owner of another ex-Ben GS, I can confirm that they are simply gorgeous, and it's getting an awful lot of wrist time.

Very good and nice pic too

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    You mean Subs are 100,000 times more popular?:-)
    Literally yes, more common.

Literally yes, more common.
    Because people prefer Rolex by a margin of 100,000:1 ?
    Because Rolex is certainly not cheaper and neither are particulay hard to find.
    So, the obvious conclusion is Rolex is preferred by a HUGE margin:-)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by burnsey66 View Post
    Had to hold back the tears.
    Admit it, you gurned like a bairn that had just been told Santa is really Mum & Dad, didn’t you?

Thanks Ben, on all points. Just received the Breitling military canvas for my Emergency and it is simply the best strap ever, so worth a few quid to try. Would also like to try a flat vent rubber.
    Next time you’re in London, if time is available, pop into Jean Rousseau and see what they can offer on the rubber front.
    They can do like Hublot does for a couple of models, which is rubber base with leather stitched on top.

Agreed, well sort of. It doesn’t catch the eye and I don’t see their use really, but I can take or leave it.
    The point of the PR indicator stems from when they released the first Spring Drives, which made use of their proprietary SPRON alloy, extending the PR to 72 hours.
    It was a feature to highlight some of the technical achievements within the movement, and like the Gothic font, it’s become a design trait for the automatic versions.

Apprentice
    what a cool timepiece.
    i am inspired, really want to buy one!

Nice write up. I too was sorely tempted however with the final payment on a Dornbluth due next month I needed to be sensible.

One thing I would be interested to get your take on re the Sub is the finishing. I've always felt that the GS attention to detail with finishing to be a step above Rolex, both with the facets on the case as well as the indices on the dial, usually these are perfect. In fact I had a GS dress watch that was IMHO better finished than any of the Pateks I have owned. But then again perfect finishing on a tool watch isn't necessarily what you want as it can detract from the whole tool thing.

I often get asked by 'laymen' what is the deal with Grand Seiko and I usually find the most appropriate answer is along the lines of 'imagine an ordinary Seiko, but one that has been put together by God' and that kind of gets the explanation done.

Anyway enjoy the watch - I hope you find the right strap combo for it.

Craftsman
    great watch

The power indicators is OK for me.

Robert

Banned
    Blah Blah Blah
    Someone had to spoil it.

Quote Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
    Next time you’re in London, if time is available, pop into Jean Rousseau and see what they can offer on the rubber front.
    Thanks, will do.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    One thing I would be interested to get your take on re the Sub is the finishing. I've always felt that the GS attention to detail with finishing to be a step above Rolex

To be honest Ryan, I’d always hoped the finishing was going to be superior on the GS, as you tend to have it shoved down your throat on the onerous comparison debates, but in all honesty - to the naked eye - it’s good, but no better or worse.

Another draw for me.

Same size, same package, same style, same price point, same functions. Better accuracy. Less available servicing.

The rest is just trolling.

Master
    Congrats and a surprise to see you actually pick one up.

I'm a big fan and would probably like to start with the midsize sports model like the SBGR051. I prefer the classic looks and smaller size but like you, would opt for a Sub as my diver even though neither are an option for now

Banned
    Blog Entries
    - to the naked eye - it’s good, but no better or worse.
    Hence the SLOP

The naked eye is factor 1.
    It needs to be pretty poor for a luxury watch to fail on that level. Thus a comparison on that level is not saying anything about the level of finish.

Mind; that level 1 is for those who do not need a cyclops to read the fine print. When the Rolex extra magnification is a selling point, then level of finish is not.

GREAT explanation Ryanb!!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    I often get asked by 'laymen' what is the deal with Grand Seiko and I usually find the most appropriate answer is along the lines of 'imagine an ordinary Seiko, but one that has been put together by God' and that kind of gets the explanation done.
    Well done, Sir!!!

Banned
    Trolling
    Quote Originally Posted by GrandS View Post
    Trolling
    The watch is as well executed and finished as I would expect for an RRP of £5,200. I do not buy items I feel are poorly presented. Yes I own a loupe, however, at this price point - whether we all like it or not - we may find something which leads to disappointment, so I choose not to use it.

Stop trolling and discuss genuine merits, or failings. The clasp is horrendous on the GS. It is oversized and the reasoning for that would no doubt be for it’s ease of operation as a dive tool, but it is uncomfortable - fact - I am wearing it now. The truth is, no one really dives in these any more - did they ever - really? Same with a Submariner, bought to tell the time, status, fashion etc. These watches are build for the street, not the sea.

And don’t tell me people in the Far East don’t buy GS for status, or everyone would be walking round in FW91’s.

I have the SBGA031 Titanium version of the same watch. It is about a third lighter than the SS SBGA029, 137g against 201g - a substantial difference, and more comfortable on the wrist. I agree the clasp is too thick, I would prefer a similar clasp as used on most other GS.

A GS vs Rolex debate often arises on this forum. Well I own both, and they are some of the best watches in the world..... I do think it is about time Rolex offered Titanium though.

Blog Entries
    Nice write up and a fine watch that should be enjoyed for what it is, without comparison.

Daddel.
    Last edited by Daddelvirks; 19th April 2016 at 10:45.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
    The point of the PR indicator stems from when they released the first Spring Drives, which made use of their proprietary SPRON alloy, extending the PR to 72 hours.
    It was a feature to highlight some of the technical achievements within the movement, and like the Gothic font, it’s become a design trait for the automatic versions.
    Call me weird but I also find there is also something strangely satisfying about watching the power level indicator rise as you wind the watch after it has run down!

Fair review - I have the SBGA031 Titanium version which is nice but I agree about the clasp - it is too thick and not the greatest construction either.
    The power reserve indicator is only of use if you do not wear the watch daily if you do then it is not required.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    or everyone would be walking round in FW91’s.
    Over here in countryside they almost all do. Even evo ones
    After work a metal version or an analogue Citizen/Lorus/or so.
    Seiko has pretty much lost any presence* and both the SDGA and GS are neat under the radar personal pleasures.

At the coast, that is a different matter. Especially in the urbanisaciones it is Rolexi and replicas of all the status brands. The latter being surprising business for tourists to China who then sell them through hairdressers salons.
    Again noooooo Seikos, Grand of otherwise.

* there are about none present at watch shops at the coast either and over the winter Seiko spent a bucket load of money on national tv marketing the gps astrons.
    Can't see it having any effect: Seikos are considered too good quality/expensive to wear as daily and the lack of status appeal does not justify one as luxury watch.

Someone had to spoil it.

Thanks, will do.

To be honest Ryan, I’d always hoped the finishing was going to be superior on the GS, as you tend to have it shoved down your throat on the onerous comparison debates, but in all honesty - to the naked eye - it’s good, but no better or worse.

Another draw for me.

Same size, same package, same style, same price point, same functions. Better accuracy. Less available servicing.

Yep, makes sense, TBH only watch nutters bother getting loupes out anyway to check finishing to the micron! For many folks the hour hand is a source of derision but I find this piece looks completely different in the metal vs in pics.

Master
    Congratulations on taking the leap, variety is the spice of life and all that. It sounds like you're experiencing the GS effect - at first it seems almost unassuming and you wonder what the fuss is all about, and then find yourself wearing it all the time because it just works so well.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    Congratulations on taking the leap, variety is the spice of life and all that. It sounds like you're experiencing the GS effect - at first it seems almost unassuming and you wonder what the fuss is all about, and then find yourself wearing it all the time because it just works so well.
    that sums up my experience very nicely. The Grand Seiko watches just creep up on you and suddenly, you're hooked.

Not my cuppa, but hey, congrats and enjoy!

Great watch. However I think the titanium version makes more sense.

Try it on rubber strap. Isofrane maybe?

I know leather on dive watches is frowned upon but a Hirsch Medici curved end strap is a really good option and transformed my dreadnought voyager (too heavy) just a though if you want to avoid rubber

When I first saw the FS advert and photos, I was very tempted and had it not been for recently buying an SDc, then you may have had some competition.

It's the first spring Drive that has inspired to go WOW! of the quality of the photos had something to do with it.

Congratulations, now get it on imo, a decent strap.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    I wouldn’t ever say it was an unassuming watch, but agree your comments are relative to the smarter watches GS produce.

Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    that sums up my experience very nicely. The Grand Seiko watches just creep up on you and suddenly, you're hooked.
    I wouldn’t say ‘hooked’. Despite some bling, it really is a utilitarian tool watch, so makes sense as a daily wearer.

Quote Originally Posted by Toshk View Post
    Great watch. However I think the titanium version makes more sense.

Try it on rubber strap. Isofrane maybe?
    I have an Emergency and one Ti watch is enough in my collection. The weight is good, and very well balanced, even with the bracelet.

I am trying to stay away from rubber, but Isofrane would be my first choice if I went down that route.

Quote Originally Posted by Montybaber View Post
    I know leather on dive watches is frowned upon but a Hirsch Medici curved end strap is a really good option and transformed my dreadnought voyager (too heavy) just a though if you want to avoid rubber
    Not a fan of leather on dive watches and as daft as it sounds 0 I prefer a gap between case and strap!

Quote Originally Posted by Topcat30093 View Post
    It's the first spring Drive that has inspired to go WOW! of the quality of the photos had something to do with it.

Congratulations, now get it on imo, a decent strap.
    I’ve tried a nato today, but unsure, as it is pretty top heavy...

Master
    A great watch, still loving mine, hasn't stopped me wanting a Rolex although I am having problems on deciding which model to go for.