closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Explorer 2 screw down crown question

Apprentice

Explorer 2 screw down crown question

I have a new black dial Exp2 (216570). When the crown is fully screwed down it appears flush with the case when I look from the front of the watch. When I look from the back, there appears to be a small gap (maybe 1mm) between the crown and the case. Is that normal?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Sameer View Post
    I have a new black dial Exp2 (216570). When the crown is fully screwed down it appears flush with the case when I look from the front of the watch. When I look from the back, there appears to be a small gap (maybe 1mm) between the crown and the case. Is that normal?

Publish a picture or two if you can.

Apprentice
    Here you go:

I think the rim of the numbered bezel is just hiding that gap (you see from underneath) when viewed from above.

Looks fine to me. The crown has a reduced diameter inboard of the grip ridges, it contains a small o-ring in a faced groove.

Apprentice
    Thanks TimeThoughts, makes sense. You don't think that gap will allow water, dust etc to get in then?

Anyone else out there with the same watch who can confirm that it's the same on their watches please?

Thanks all.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Perfectly normal and as it should be.
    If you look at the rear pic of the crown you can see that the crown base is flush with the case and the gap you're seeing is the notched part of the crown that flares out. Its not visible at the front because it's covered by the bezel.
    It won't let water in. There are internal seals.

Apprentice
    Thanks Verv.

Apprentice
    As verv says the crown is flush with the case, nothing to worry about at all.

Master
    I have the same watch in white which i have had for a couple of years.

I noticed the same thing on mine and went back to the dealer and when we examined another two he had in stock some of them were worse i.e. 2mm but was fully assured it was water tight due to internal seals.

I have not done much diving in my watch apart from my brothers swimming pool in Oz and it's still working fine.

I think it's just a quirk of the watch.

Few interesting observations here:

https://www.minus4plus6.com/216570.php

A useful article for those who can't make their minds up between an explorer and a GMT.

Apprentice
    Thanks all!

Quote Originally Posted by aldfort View Post
    Few interesting observations here:

https://www.minus4plus6.com/216570.php

A useful article for those who can't make their minds up between an explorer and a GMT.
    Thanks for that ....

Quote Originally Posted by Sameer View Post

I've just checked mine and its identical ...

Grand Master
    At the risk of stating the obvious, isn`t the difference between top and bottom view caused by the extra diameter of the bezel.........but if that's the case I would've thought it was obvious to anyone?

Sounds like the OP's the watch-owning equivalent of a hypochondriac.......chrono-condriac?

Paul

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    At the risk of stating the obvious, isn`t the difference between top and bottom view caused by the extra diameter of the bezel.........but if that's the case I would've thought it was obvious to anyone?

Sounds like the OP's the watch-owning equivalent of a hypochondriac.......chrono-condriac?

Paul
    looking at mine, i agree, there is no fault.
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

It's normal, my white explorer 2 is the same.

Sent from my HUAWEI NXT-L29 using Tapatalk

Master
    Sameer, personally, I'd only worry about it if I had a Rolex and its OysterCrown WAS bottoming out on the case. I copied and pasted below part of a response I happened to have put up on another Watch Talk forum thread a few days ago (with the most relevant sentence re this thread capitalized) because it explains the reason I feel as I do on the "crown gap" you're concerned about:

"........... I'm sure most here are already well aware that the Rolex Oyster line of watches was born of a desire of the company to develop and produce a watch incorporating a comprehensive set of technological advancements that would allow it to survive any and all environmental and situational conditions that the wearer, regardless how adventurous, might subject his/her watch to.

Toward that end, as you know, Rolex developed such features as their still superlative OysterCrown with well thought out rubber, later neoprene, I believe, gasketing and a telescoping stem that disengaged from continuing to wind the mainspring while the crown was screwed back down after setting and winding the watch (the early oysters were all hand winds and this was essential). ALL VERSIONS OF THE OYSTERCROWN, IF PROPERLY INSTALLED SO THAT THE BOTTOM SURFACE OF THE CROWN "BUTTON" CAN NEVER TOUCH OR "BOTTOM OUT" ON THE CASE, ALSO HAVE A "FAIL-SAFE" CRUSH GASKET AT THE INSIDE TOP CAP OF THE CROWN THAT BEARS DIRECTLY ONTO THE TOP SURFACE OF THE CROWN TUBE AS THE CROWN IS SCREWED DOWN AND IN SO DOING THE DESIGN SELF-COMPENSATES FOR THE CAP GASKET'S COMPRESSION AND WEAR OVER TIME.

Rolex also threaded the crown tube into the case, making it easily replaceable if damaged, stripped, bent, etc., in order to keep and maintain full water resistance. In other words, the Rolex OysterCrown was in the 1920s the best that could be had and I personally think remains so still. The reason is that it is bulletproof in that the OysterCrown design can endure virtually any contingency it might meet in use. ..................................."

Apprentice
    Thanks all.