closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tudor Pelagos......but which movement?

Tudor Pelagos......but which movement?

I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on a Pelagos, my sister is off to HK in the next few days and I was going to ask her to pick one up for me but I'm undecided about which movement to go for.

I'm tempted by the new tudor in house movement, I like the fact it is COSC, the power reserve is very good and it's their own product but.... On the flip side the ETA powered Pelagos has only been in production for a short while it's a tried and tested movement with lots of experience watchmakers able to service and repair it. It's short production run could mean that it becomes sought after but that is purely speculative!

What are anyone else's views?
    Last edited by treebirch; 12th April 2016 at 21:15.

Master
    I think you've pretty much summed it up yourself, suppose another factor to consider would be the extra lines of text on the new models dial, but you seem more interested with the movement!

If it was me I would go for the in-house but I suppose there's more reasons not to!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    I started a similar discussion regarding the Black Bay Black last month. Different watch, but I suspect similar views?

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...ay-Speculating

Master
    Stock Answer - "which ever one you like the look of more"

Myself personally - The 2nd gen has by FAR the superior movement - free sprung balance, COSC, silicon spring, 70hr power reserve and the date window is better placed towards the outside of the dial

1st Gen - Less writing on the dial and cheaper service costs (with an independent that is)

I think the pros of the 2nd gen outweigh the pros of the 1st gen.

Quote Originally Posted by treebirch View Post
    I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on a Pelagos, my sister is off to HK in the next few days and I was going to ask her to pick one up for me but I'm undecided about which movement to go for.

I'm tempted by the new tudor in house movement, I like the fact it is COSC, the power reserve is very good and it's their own product but.... On the flip side the ETA powered Pelagos has only been in production for a short while it's a tried and tested movement with lots of experience watchmakers able to service and repair it. It's short production run could mean that it becomes sought after but that is purely speculative!

What are anyone else views?
    I went ETA as it was the last one the dealer had, the power reserve is never an issue for me. The new movement has some very good reviews and no doubt will perform amazingly, but the short production run and possible long term future values was a good enough reason to stick with the ETA

I have a lot of watches and guess which one is worn the most.....................Pelagos love it and very very comfortable on the wrist.

The only reason to go ETA is servicing costs IMO.

Sent from my starship orbiting Uranus.
    "Bite my shiny metal ass."
    - Bender Bending Rodríguez

Thank you all for your input, most useful. I've no real draw to the ETA movement, I have a Stowa Seatime LE that I spent €350 on at a service 12 months ago, I had to send it back again today (to Stowa) as it was loosing around 10 mins every 3 days. Whilst I may just be unlucky I'd be happy to try something new!

Craftsman
    I actually prefer the dial on the 2nd gen Pelagos, I think it looks a lot more balanced. The power reserve is great, especially if you wear your watches on rotation.

I've been mulling the same issue, and think I've finally decided on the in-house. The only problem now is black or blue...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There's something about the resolutely matte dial that makes the seventeen lines of text seem right

Quote Originally Posted by DMC102 View Post
    I've been mulling the same issue, and think I've finally decided on the in-house. The only problem now is black or blue...
    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I went black I should have gone blue but I still like my black.

I had the first generation but sold it recently, the ETA movement isn't just your average one, it has been tuned up by Tudor so to speak. The power reserve isn't a big issue IMO. There doesn't seem to be a huge difference in price second-hand. Personally would go for the first gen. The reason I couldn't get on with mine was the fact it is a scratch magnet and it wears rather thick on the wrist compared to a Submariner.

I went in house, I haven't taken it off for 5 months, it's gaining 0.5 secs a day and I got it in the AD instead of a SD4000. it's the ultimate non shiny sea dweller!

oh and blue is the only way to go BTW!

Quote Originally Posted by legin View Post
    I went black I should have gone blue but I still like my black.
    Was there a blue ETA..?

^^^

No, the blue is in house only. the ETA version is 2 lines of text with a black dial

Quote Originally Posted by ghosty View Post
    I went in house, I haven't taken it off for 5 months, it's gaining 0.5 secs a day and I got it in the AD instead of a SD4000. it's the ultimate non shiny sea dweller!

oh and blue is the only way to go BTW!
    So tempted by the blue, but I just know as soon as I have one, I'll wish I'd gone for the black (and vice versa).

Love the look of the strap in your pic - what is it? do you have any more details / pics?

Master
    Isn't there the issue with parts or lack of and Indy servicing down the line with the ETA movement?
    Also comments above suggest that it was a short run with an ETA movement, so what movement was in it prior to the ETA then?

Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    Isn't there the issue with parts or lack of and Indy servicing down the line with the ETA movement?
    Also comments above suggest that it was a short run with an ETA movement, so what movement was in it prior to the ETA then?

There are so many ETAs out there I doubt there'll be any issue for some time yet, and there are identical movements out there anyway from the likes of Sellita. When the Pelagos was launched it had the ETA in it, Tudor only recently launched the MkII with the in house movement.

Tudor Pelagos......but which movement?

Quote Originally Posted by CardShark View Post
    ...When the Pelagos was launched it had the ETA in it, Tudor only recently launched the MkII with the in house movement.
    This is what had me confused about posts 5 and 11...

I went with the new in-house movement one.

The timekeeping was first class, less then a second per day.

Extremely well made and a great tool watch.

To me it wouldn't matter if it was a tourbillon inside the 2nd gen, 2-liner for me.

So tempted by the blue, but I just know as soon as I have one, I'll wish I'd gone for the black (and vice versa).

Love the look of the strap in your pic - what is it? do you have any more details / pics?
    it's a rubber Zulu from here, the blue in the rubber is slightly darker than the dial tho..

https://www.watchgecko.com/zuludiver...ap-bonetto.php

I've not worn it on the bracelet since buying it, the NATO and leather Zulu from the same site exactly matches the dial which is a real bonus, im trying to find an isofrane in the same colour but they're all too dark.

this is the only time I'll disagree with SL above, the 4 liner for me looked way better to my eye, I was sat with the 2 and both 4's and the SD4000 making a decision.

As with all things collectible, the original is best.
    It is kind of Tudor to have brought out a new one, it makes an instant "original classic" out of the first one.
    A sort of reward for buying one of the early ones.
    And for me (and this is totally subjective) the lume plot at 3, reduced dial script and thinner caseback to maintain the crownguard symmetry of the original also make it better.

Dave

ps - of course, if they had got the blue right, I would be totally in the other camp. Lucky for me that they didn't do the blue I wanted.

^^^ Nice, thanks Ghosty.

Journeyman
    its well text heavy int'it? that would bug me
    lovely though it is I would have a 1st gen to go with my first gen Black Bay

Consider the following (I'm biased, had and preferred the gen 1 but these are the facts that often go overlooked):

- The 2nd gen is thicker
    - The dial is less balanced due to:
    -- No lume applied around the date window, as it moves further to the edge.
    -- More writing at 6 on the dial, giving it the famous "oak tree".
    - Different caseback

I feel like everyone else has covered the rest very thoroughly. Its ultimately your choice though!

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    As with all things collectible, the original is best.
    It is kind of Tudor to have brought out a new one, it makes an instant "original classic" out of the first one.
    A sort of reward for buying one of the early ones.
    And for me (and this is totally subjective) the lume plot at 3, reduced dial script and thinner caseback to maintain the crownguard symmetry of the original also make it better.

Dave
    Exactly. The current ETA-equipped Black Bay, which is still in the shops and is current in the supply chain (new ones are not being delivered until the summer) is new being described as "neo-vintage", "effectively NOS" as well as "classic". By next week I'm sure it'll be "authentic antique".
    ps - of course, if they had got the blue right, I would be totally in the other camp. Lucky for me that they didn't do the blue I wanted.
    Well quite ;).
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Master
    I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on a Pelagos, my sister is off to HK in the next few days
    Regardless of which movement you choose, I would question why you're getting one from Hong Kong. I was there in February and the prices are not nearly good enough to warrant it.

Was there a blue ETA..?

No I had the choice of a new blue or the original ETA black, I went black

While I know intellectually that the new movement is better, I just prefer the look of the original watch. I suspect I'm not alone in that. While the head should be involved in the decision, it's the heart that makes it.

How much thicker is the in house movement version? The MT5621 movement itself is 1.9mm thicker than the 2824 (6.5mm vs 4.6mm)

Master
    I have to say. When spending upwards of £2k on a watch I'd always look for in-house vs ETA etc. As I'd feel cheated that I was paying for the case and not an overall package.

I had the same decision to make myself in December, I can really appreciate the horological advances of the new Pelagos but to me the aesthetics of the ETA version are so much cleaner, so I am very, very happy with my choice. Out of the box she is running at a very steady -0.9 secs a day. I suspect for the owners of the new Pelagos, after it's been on the wrist for a few hours you probably don't even notice the extra text.

I certainly wouldn't swap mine though....

[IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by woodruffm; 14th April 2016 at 12:37.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by watchmad View Post
    I have to say. When spending upwards of £2k on a watch I'd always look for in-house vs ETA etc. As I'd feel cheated that I was paying for the case and not an overall package.
    Well it's a sliding scale - Tudor wasn't exactly throwing in the ETA free of charge!

Also the £2k is arbitrary. You should expect it in a Nomos, where there is almost literally nothing to it, with an extremely simple case and quite low-cost to make by comparison, to a hulking Breitling or Omega diver with a 4mm thick bombproof AR-coated sapphire, thousands of feet (even metres!) of WR, an automatic He valve, a heavy,well-made bracelet, a super-thick caseback, screw-down crown, rotating bezel on ball bearings, exotic inlay, etc etc. No point in just to use the sticker price as the only yardstick.
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Ive had a couple of the original black dialled ETA 2 line Pelagos' in the past, if I was to have one now the blue dialled version would be top of my list.
    Either way you can't go wrong, they're great watches

Superb, now all I need to decide is which colour to go for....

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by steppy View Post
    Stock Answer - "which ever one you like the look of more"

Myself personally - The 2nd gen has by FAR the superior movement - free sprung balance, COSC, silicon spring, 70hr power reserve and the date window is better placed towards the outside of the dial

1st Gen - Less writing on the dial and cheaper service costs (with an independent that is)

I think the pros of the 2nd gen outweigh the pros of the 1st gen.
    But how does that weigh up against the proven reliability (and ease of service) of the ETA movement?

It isn't like buying mobile phones; how many of the advantages listed will translate into a better ownership experience? All too easy to fall into the trap of comparing specifications and using the numbers as the basis for a decision..........which is absolute bollocks.

Paul

I picked up a black 2 liner from sc recently, wore it for two weeks straight on hols on the rubber strap, as much as I am not keen on rubber it wore very comfortably indeed, only downside was the scratches to the buckle. I reckon I gazed at it lovingly, more times than I did the girlfriend. The black is just so deep and flat, normally I would choose blue and was concerned the black was too similar to my sub, but oh no it's so different, and the lume is awesome.
    Now I've been back for a couple weeks, it's gone straight onto its bracelet, and I have to say, it doesn't mark anywhere near like I believed it would, I think pcl,s are more or a concern, the bracelet is very comfy and with the spring loaded clasp a joy to where. A great choice I believe, for awhile I wondered if it would replace the sub, but I don't think it will as they are too different really.

Apprentice
    I too was looking at this watch. The 5 lines put me off initially but got used to it however on the 2 liner I wish they'd put the watch's name on it...... I've tried the in house on and it's not thick in my view and I gave 6.5 inch flat wrists. I also have an SD4K and would still buy this in a heartbeat.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Apprentice

What are anyone else's views?
    I'm all for a good quality in house movement! But if anything happens **touchwood** you need to look at how practical it is to rectify

I wouldnt swap a better movement for the new design. There was nothing wrong with the design. I dare to state that no one on this planet ever said or wrote that it needed more text on the dial or that the date window needed changing (love this design feat as it blends the date window in a symmetrical window)

So while I see the movement is better the visual changes would bother me. Date window is obviously due to movement size, text a choice and showing the new movement is inside.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by watchmad View Post
    Well, thanks to the OP. I am now the happy owner of a mk2 Pelagos.

I've always been drawn to the matte dial/titanium case but as per my quote I've never felt it's value with an ETA movement.

It's very comfortable and has great presence without the weight.

Last edited by watchmad; 28th April 2016 at 18:44.

Mine "inhouse" in blue next to SD4K. Must say Pelagos is absolute best-buy...

Craftsman
    Mine says hi

Quote Originally Posted by noidea View Post
    Mine says hi
    Mine can't speak.
    May be I got a lemon:-)
    Is still under warranty.

Craftsman
    The talking version was a very limited edition, there isn't many of them about!

I'd buy the 1st generation , they will be sought after as there was only a short run on the eta version , cleaner dial , thinner case and easy to service. Remember the Daytona's with a short run with the zenith movements ? They are now collective , sought after , these will be even more so as the market becomes saturated with the the new inhouse versions and the originals become rarer . The reason I like them though is the 2 line text instead of the whole novel on the new version
    Last edited by Nickshangs; 24th April 2016 at 03:11. Reason: Spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Nickshangs View Post
    I'd buy the 1st generation , they will be sought after
    But for each person who likes the clean dial and cheap spares, there's someone else who prefers the in-house movement. I think this is pretty finely balanced. I don't expect to see much difference in used prices between the two models.

well i did a complete 360 , and bought the new pelages blue 4 liner and i'm in love with it , the titanium bracelet is nicer than i though . like a gunmetal grey look and the actual blue dial is a stunner , the 4 lines does'nt bother in the end

The in-house movement sounds very accurate! What is the positional variance like? Anybody had one on a timegrapher?