closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Small horological adventure yesterday in HK

Small horological adventure yesterday in HK

A break from the norm of either a tale about visiting an AD, or a new incoming.

I was lucky enough to be in Hong Kong yesterday in between connecting flights, although not lucky enough to stay long on to watch the 7s :(
    The bracelet on my 14060 has flex in it, and a rivet on the security clasp was worryingly flexible, and so I turned to TZ and TURF to explore options for some remedial work. The options are almost non-existent, save for one man in Hong Kong, Michael Young.

I recently saw a bracelet that he had refurbished, and was very impressed, and so I contacted him by email. My plan had been to post it to him, but the trip came up at short notice and I decided to try to get to see him.

It was well worth the effort. Michael was incredibly helpful and knowledgable, and was happy both to discuss the options available for the refurb as well as show the before and the after bracelets he had worked on. He explained the process he uses, and also how some laser work on the links can enhance the fit and look, albeit at an additional cost. It's clear that he produces great results as well as achieving them with precision engineering - what I saw were bracelets as good as new - which given how bad flex can make them look and feel is incredible. Prices begin at $180, which for his work versus a new bracelet is IMHO a bargain.

No photos to post in this thread, this is merely to add some detail to the info on Michael, especially for anyone considering a bracelet refurbishment and who doesn't have any info on him or his work.

HAGWE

I've used Michael before, he is excellent.

I posted a review in Watch Talk showing before and after pictures as well, amazing work.

Apprentice

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post

I posted a review in Watch Talk showing before and after pictures as well, amazing work.
    could you share the website or the pics here, I am interested.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post

could you share the website or the pics here, I am interested.

Had an email from Michael this morning to say he'd finished it, so far faster than the estimated 4-6 weeks. I've got used to a very nice soft rubber strap I picked up on SC a while ago, and am now not sure it'll go back on the bracelet!

That said looking forward to getting it back and seeing the result.

Sent from my ONE E1003 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by OldHooky View Post
    Had an email from Michael this morning to say he'd finished it, so far faster than the estimated 4-6 weeks. I've got used to a very nice soft rubber strap I picked up on SC a while ago, and am now not sure it'll go back on the bracelet!

That said looking forward to getting it back and seeing the result.

That's fast. I was under the impression, he takes much longer.

So was I. He told me 4-6 weeks and we discussed the extra work he'd do, and I expected 6 weeks. Very pleased it's less, and I'll post photos once it arrives

Good to hear a first hand report. It means you can buy a Day Date with a knackered bracelet and get it virtually mint again. A shame so many President bracelets have been scrapped through the years because of stretch :(

It's back, and oh.. my... word. What a transformation. The links are all tight, the clasp super stiff, and the rivet in the clasp that was a major concern and potential failure item, replaced and now secure.

It cost me a lot more than I anticipated - $409 rather than the typical starting point of $150, as it required a lot more work - but the end results are worth it. It's come back like new.

Master
    Sounds a great result. Is it the case that Michael offers a service Rolex don't and if so has anyone ever asked them why? Love the idea that one man in HK is the only man.

Rolex are not in the market for keeping old watches going. Their business is selling new watches. They do pretty well at it, keeping old Rolexes going is against their business model.

Quote Originally Posted by deepreddave View Post
    Sounds a great result. Is it the case that Michael offers a service Rolex don't and if so has anyone ever asked them why? Love the idea that one man in HK is the only man.

The watch itself is perfect, but the bracelets, until recently, wore nowhere near as well. Hard to believe they were made by the same manufacturer. And I disagree about Rolex keeping"old watches going". Offering a service and refurbishment to something less than 20:years old is essential for their brand reputation. These are pieces supposed to stand the test of time. They're not Apple.

The bracelet refurbishment is an astonishing ommission in customer service and, IMHO, vital.

Apprentice
    Man, I need to go to Hong Kong.