closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Selling one you love to pay for one you want....how's that turned out?

Selling one you love to pay for one you want....how's that turned out?

On SC ads I've seen this quite a lot: a watch the owner is perfectly content with up for sale because there's something else they're in pursuit of.

I've only ever sold watches that I've grown tired of wearing, so I'm curious about this, and am wondering how things usually pan out.

The new watch soon renders the sold watch long forgotten?
    The old watch is missed but the net experience is positive?
    After the initial hit of Ooh New Watch, it's as if nothing changed, and in time a third watch will take its place?
    Oops?
    Regret, oh my god, regret, what have I done, how can I ever forgive myself for this foolishness?

I watched that Watchguru video and when the presenter talks about selling all his watches to buy "The One" the reaction was well good luck being happy with one but you will not stay that way.
    I did tot up my watch box and consider what I could get but I am terrible at selling things.

I am also interested in the serial flippers as this is so not me , I remember a comment elsewhere about someone buying a Pelagos for the 8th time - is at any point this person going to either keep one for good or not buy one again.

Not having a pop at you serial flippers out there , I would like to understand the thought process as it is opposite of mine.

How quickly do you turn oops or regret into buying the same watch again?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    I traded this...

For this...

I still miss the rainbow - but net experience positive

z

I haven't sold a watch for some time, but generally my wife has pushed for a 'one in one out policy'. The last three watches that I did sell on that basis go for an awful lot more money now than they did at the time I sold them. Disappointing in one way maybe, but I get a chance to gloat about it to my wife :-)

We are living in austere times in this household - its the only way that I can justify other things, as painful as it is

Suppose this is very individual, some are very strict and disciplined while others just go with their feelings. For a while I just bought what I liked, but when I hit 20 watches I realised I had more than I could wear and started to reduce. I have never sold one I "loved" in order to make space for another, but I had some tough decisions and some I do regret. One day I will have a nice Rolex 16750 GMT again...

Master
    I've sold "the one" a few few times and in 3 cases bought them back only for them to sit in the watch box unworn.
    Madness, but I'll do it again thats for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post
    We are living in austere times in this household - its the only way that I can justify other things, as painful as it is
    I have to do the same with my hifi purchases too now.

Master
    I've never found myself looking back, I'm too busy enjoying the new one. Though having just sold five good watches for one I haven't got yet is testing the theory to its limits! It makes the search for the new one a bit more exciting though, it's not just window shopping.

Im quite a flipper...........Buy them......then sell/trade them on!

I dont buy expensive watches........mine cost in the hundreds .........So I can "afford"! the losses I make on them.

Im now down to just about 7 or 8 watches now.....so I assume I must be "content"..............ish..still doesnt stop me from looking in the S.C. on a too regular basis! I "may" treat myself to a Rolex in a few years time when I retire.....................Though saying that, I probably wont, as I dont feel "comfortable" wearing an expensive (to me anyway!) watch. We are all different , of course, so its all subjective.

I dont think though Ive sold one to get one I really want/grail etc.............I just trade them on, when I find I havent been wearing them.........Then of course, the watch/watches I buy/trade them on for? Some get worn . some dont......so its full circle again!

Try using the forum search on SC with the word "regret", as in "That's a lovely watch, I regret selling mine. GLWTS"

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Wolff View Post
    Try using the forum search on SC with the word "regret", as in "That's a lovely watch, I regret selling mine. GLWTS"
    I'll do that. Though of course, above these expressions of regret would be those simply buying the one offered

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Turned out fine for me. I'm not a multiple watch owner (used to be but consolidated as only have one wrist) but I used to flip regularly. It was an upgrade/try out thing for me so saw each purchase as a stepping stone towards finding one I'd settle with on a long term basis.
    I bought. Sold when I had a money to add towards buying a different model, bought, and so on.
    Yes I have regrets over letting some great bits go.. But the end result is that I'm totally content with what I have with no desire to change at present.

I've flipped quite a few (maybe 30) including a Speedy Pro and 2 SubCs, either of which for a lot of people might be considered an 'end watch'.

I've also bought some watches 2 or 3 times.

Ultimately I've no regrets (apart from the 4 figure sum I've wasted in the process) as each watch I've flipped had something about it which didn't feel quite right to me, I've enjoyed the experience of owning some great watches, and along the way I've worked out what I really want in a watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    On SC ads I've seen this quite a lot: a watch the owner is perfectly content with up for sale because there's something else they're in pursuit of.

I've only ever sold watches that I've grown tired of wearing, so I'm curious about this, and am wondering how things usually pan out.

The new watch soon renders the sold watch long forgotten?
    The old watch is missed but the net experience is positive?
    After the initial hit of Ooh New Watch, it's as if nothing changed, and in time a third watch will take its place?
    Oops?
    Regret, oh my god, regret, what have I done, how can I ever forgive myself for this foolishness?
    I tend to view the superlatives as sales patter. I wouldn't sell a watch I truly loved for an unknown. Those I have sold or traded have all fallen short in some way.

Master
    I've ended up with sellers remorse twice now ... which means I've bought a watch .. sold it (for less), bought it again (for more than first time).
    Happened with Speedmaster MKII and a IWC Portuguese.

wasn't really to get new one - was more to do with work being done on house.

I sold my Omega PO and My Steinhart GP LE

Regret selling both and am now on the lookout again, in particular for the Steinhart GP LE

Damn it...even while writing this am annoyed..

Grand Master
    I sold a relatively unpopular watch and bought a forum darling. Timekeeping aside, which is fine but not stellar despite the trick movement, it's an objectively better (tougher, more modern, scratch resistant, more functions) watch, but I still want the old one back. I made mistakes by paying attention to the wisdom of crowds before; I must learn not to!
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Quote Originally Posted by DeepThought View Post
    wasn't really to get new one - was more to do with work being done on house.

I sold my Omega PO and My Steinhart GP LE

Regret selling both and am now on the lookout again, in particular for the Steinhart GP LE

Damn it...even while writing this am annoyed..
    I thought the wife got you a new PO Gary? ;-)

Sold my v rare LCD Speedmaster to fund an X-33. Desperately missed my old LCD Speedmaster and thought it would take ages to find another. Thankfully I managed to buy another one from the person I'd sold mine too. Thanks Velorum!

Quote Originally Posted by Caruso View Post
    Sold my v rare LCD Speedmaster to fund an X-33. Desperately missed my old LCD Speedmaster and thought it would take ages to find another. Thankfully I managed to buy another one from the person I'd sold mine too. Thanks Velorum!
    Did you buy the same one back, or was it a different watch?

Quote Originally Posted by MarkO View Post
    Did you buy the same one back, or was it a different watch?
    A different one of the same model.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkO View Post
    I watched that Watchguru video and when the presenter talks about selling all his watches to buy "The One" the reaction was well good luck being happy with one but you will not stay that way.
    I did tot up my watch box and consider what I could get but I am terrible at selling things.

I am also interested in the serial flippers as this is so not me , I remember a comment elsewhere about someone buying a Pelagos for the 8th time - is at any point this person going to either keep one for good or not buy one again.

Not having a pop at you serial flippers out there , I would like to understand the thought process as it is opposite of mine.

How quickly do you turn oops or regret into buying the same watch again?

I love and enjoy watches, it is my favourite hobby but I enjoy the chase more. I like getting a deal, enjoying the watch and once bored of it (sometime a week, month or year) selling it for more than I paid and getting a nicer watch. It's a never ending game

Master
    People sell watches??
    I only buy watches

I've more sellers regret than I can shake a big stick at.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Quote Originally Posted by maxwellwd View Post
    I thought the wife got you a new PO Gary? ;-)
    yep..

but its the Steinhart GP LE I really miss...

Master
    ....The old watch is missed but the net experience is positive?

It's one or the other of these two for me. I've come to the conclusion that I'm not a collector and four or five watches is the sweet spot for me. If I want to try something new I'll generally ditch one.

Craftsman

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Cinch View Post

Awesome post.

Craftsman
    Im fairly new to the world of watches and being addicted to buying a second,third,fourth etc-I am going to try only buy a few and then have a one in one out policy...........that being said it may not work out that well.

Quote Originally Posted by Watchaddict View Post
    I am going to try only buy a few and then have a one in one out policy...........that being said it may not work out that well.
    That was my approach and I'm something like on 60 in 10 out...and 2 of those 10 I bought back.

Apprentice

it all depends on what you sell and what you get,

but won't be happy selling a hard to find watch...

Apprentice
    for me, I will not to sell one I love to for buying the piece I want, Because I will regret after doing that.
    there many new watch model turning up every day, therefore, there are many watches that we really want. but the one we love truly is the only.

Quote Originally Posted by tzachi View Post
    but won't be happy selling a hard to find watch...
    Agree with this! I have flipped quite a few modern Rolex's in the past 12-18 months even repurchase the same model twice but as they have all been current models replacing has been easy and I've found it nice way to actually find out what I like don't like.

Obviously I've lost money but what fun in life is free these days haha

Recently picked up a BLNR and only kept it a couple of months and out it went, funnily enough a dealer purchased it off me for full retail.

Sold an Explorer to fund a Sub. The Explorer I loved from the off, the Sub took time to grow on me, and in many ways I prefer the looks of the Explorer. I've no plans to move the Sub on, but this is TZ, so won't rule out the Explorer again. Had better pick up a ZEX to cure that problem.

I sold one of these; replaced it with a fabulous upgrade of a Patek 5205... But nope, it was no replacement.

The 5205 is gone and the JLC was replaced. It will never leave I hope, the most beautiful watch I own.

Two years ago I sold three. Two were Cheapies really. Have bought all three back.... Two brand new and for the last O tracked down the new owner. It was a modded Seiko so not easy to get the exact same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by DB9yeti View Post
    I sold one of these; replaced it with a fabulous upgrade of a Patek 5205... But nope, it was no replacement.

The 5205 is gone and the JLC was replaced. It will never leave I hope, the most beautiful watch I own.

Its a looker alright.

Quote Originally Posted by DB9yeti View Post

That JLC is stunning!

I just hate thinking why oh why did I sell that, but then you find the new one and it starts all over again.
    Just need to find a £100k for my perfect watch, so no chance (at the moment).

⛵️

Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post
    I've more sellers regret than I can shake a big stick at.
    Me too

Master
    Last year I sold a Speedy Pro to buy a Rolex GMT II 16710. Well, I actually sold that and a load of other watches, too, over several years; but the Speedy provided the last bit of cash I needed to get me close to the price of the Rolex. I loved the Speedy - the classic, beautifully balanced matte dial and the warm, acrylic crystal; the sense that this was a watch that could dress up or down equally well. I even appreciated the hand winding, and the lack of a date, as something that made it different from my other watches.

But the GMT has hardly been off my wrist since I bought it; it's close to being the perfect One Watch, to rule the others. It's versatile; robust, has good after resistance; it's dressy enough but can dress up or down; it's not a modern Submariner (and therefore, not screaming "Rolex!"). I've worn it mostly on the bracelet but also on a Phoenix Admiralty Grey NATO strap, which suits it well. At some future time I may try other bezels - Coke or Pepsi - but with a simple black bezel it has quickly become the watch of choice - except when I need a stopwatch - for sailing, for example, when I use my Fortis chrono; or if I want a 0-60 bezel for swimming, when I use my SMP. And there are times when the relatively poor lume and the reflections of the flat sapphire crystal irritate me, and the SMP and its sword hands really draw me back. I had my eye on this model for 5 years; and on this particular watch, which was with a dealer who was in no hurry to sell, for 2-3 years. Overall, it's been a very positive experience. One day I may have another Speedy Pro, but in the meantime it was a very good trade and I don't regret it.

I've never sold a watch that I've missed too much once it's gone except for my Speedbird III so I've now got another.

I find it quite interesting that however attached I feel to a particular watch (and there are some that I said I'd never sell), once they're gone I haven't missed them.

Master
    I sold my Speedmaster Pro just to cover some other costs in life. That was over two years ago and I still bitterly regret it as I've not been able to cobble the money together to replace it since. In fact it went so far as to wipe out what was the beginning of a watch hobby.. and now I rarely even remember to put on a watch, and don't get the same pleasure from wearing anything else I own that I did from that Speedmaster.

What a mistake.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by chicaneuk View Post
    I sold my Speedmaster Pro just to cover some other costs in life. That was over two years ago and I still bitterly regret it as I've not been able to cobble the money together to replace it since. In fact it went so far as to wipe out what was the beginning of a watch hobby.. and now I rarely even remember to put on a watch, and don't get the same pleasure from wearing anything else I own that I did from that Speedmaster.

What a mistake.
    Would it have been a mistake not to cover your other costs, or whatever it was that made you sell the watch? If not, why sell it in the first place?
    Last edited by andrew; 11th April 2016 at 15:49.
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Quote Originally Posted by chicaneuk View Post

What a mistake.
    How unhelpful would it be to point out the BNIB one on the SC for £2.5k?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by andrew View Post
    Would it have been a mistake not to cover your other costs, or whatever it was that made you sell the watch? If not, why sell it in the first place?
    I was ploughing some money into another hobby at the time and decided to liquidate the Speedy to help towards it.

How unhelpful would it be to point out the BNIB one on the SC for £2.5k?
    I've seen it :) I always look at every Speedmaster for sale in SC... but ultimately I don't have that kind of spare money available right now to put into another watch.

Craftsman
    This is my reality
    THX
    Robert
    Quote Originally Posted by Cinch View Post

not a big succes. Once i had a Tudor chrono and sold it to get my sub. After a few weeks i missed the Tudor but didn't have the cash to buy one. Some years later i had the money and bought another Tudor. Prices had been raised a lot in those few years. So i learned my lesson . Never sell one u love!