closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: rolex 114060 opinions please

Master

rolex 114060 opinions please

hi all,the time has come to buy my first new rolex ,having looked through the range the 114060 black faced no date sub seems to suit my needs and asthetic tastes and i will be keeping the watch long term.i believe having looked at a few online reviews this is a relatively new model.i would appreciate the forums opinion of this model.having looked at the online dealers prices and those quoted by my local AD i believe there is very little advantage to buying online due to the exchange rates,is this correct?.cheers ..greasemonkey

Master
    I have the 14060M the model that precedes the one your looking at. I like it, yes no date, thats what my phone is for. Classic submariner and the 114 has the maxi case and glidelock bracelet which many on here realy like.

Steve

I flipped mine quite quickly ... the lack of date annoyed me more than I thought it would, and the case is a bit too blocky and sat too high on the wrist for my taste. The bracelet is superb though.

Price wise I think you might as well buy from an AD rather than a grey dealer if looking for a new watch ... Your name on the warranty card and all accessories in English language.

Master
    thanks gentlemen for your valued imput,i am going to visit my AD in the next couple of weeks and will try one on and take it from there.cheers..greasemonkey

I have had the 114060 since Dec '14, I'll give my opinion on it:

Bracelet / clasp:

IMO one of the best in the game, unbelievably comfortable and the glidelock clasp ensures you get the perfect fit. Absolutely nothing I would change about the bracelet.

Case size:

The 40mm case wears perfectly for me, although it is 40mm the lugs do make the watch wear a little larger than 40. I have 7.5" wrists and feel it fits perfect, however different strokes for different folks.

Ceramic bezel is amazing, catches the light and even turns almost matte looking in some situations. Also very durable, mine is completely unmarked.

Movement doesnt even need to be mentioned, the workhorse 3130 is very reliable and mine is actually running no more than 1 sec fast a week (obviously can vary watch to watch).

If you want a Submariner the only question you need to ask if you need a date or not, I personally preferred the cleanliness of the dial on the no-date, also the crystal with no cyclops.

Pictures of mine:

Touching on the price, unfortunately now Rolex have increased prices for countries using the Euro it has sort of stamped out the grey dealer imports from the EU, thus now there is little difference between going grey and direct from the AD. Used these sell for around £4000-£4500, so it's entirely up to you with route you want to go, obviously you can expect them to hold their money extremely well.

I think for a ND Sub Iconic is only £50 less than MSRP atm

Master
    I agree with everything Evad3 has pointed out. I have had mine since November 2015 (New) I love it, it has become my everyday wearer and holiday watch. I also dive in mine. The clasp is sublime and so easy to adjust for different temperatures etc. Since new, I have only adjusted it for Summer time.I would advise you to go try one on. I have 7 inch wrists and it is perfect for me. All the best. Kev

Blog Entries
    I love the 114060, I sold mine to part fund a deepsea which I bought a few months ago, I'm now seriously thinking about going back to a ND. Love the deepsea and use to 44mm watches but its a bit too thick for me.
    Last edited by Frankie169; 6th April 2016 at 20:50.

Journeyman
    i love it. its just so pricey . you can get so much nice stuff for that price. its close to a Dark side of the moon speedmaster at secondary market price.

Quote Originally Posted by Evad3 View Post
    I have had the 114060 since Dec '14, I'll give my opinion on it:

Bracelet / clasp:

IMO one of the best in the game, unbelievably comfortable and the glidelock clasp ensures you get the perfect fit. Absolutely nothing I would change about the bracelet.

Case size:

The 40mm case wears perfectly for me, although it is 40mm the lugs do make the watch wear a little larger than 40. I have 7.5" wrists and feel it fits perfect, however different strokes for different folks.

Ceramic bezel is amazing, catches the light and even turns almost matte looking in some situations. Also very durable, mine is completely unmarked.

Movement doesnt even need to be mentioned, the workhorse 3130 is very reliable and mine is actually running no more than 1 sec fast a week (obviously can vary watch to watch).

If you want a Submariner the only question you need to ask if you need a date or not, I personally preferred the cleanliness of the dial on the no-date, also the crystal with no cyclops.

Pictures of mine:

Touching on the price, unfortunately now Rolex have increased prices for countries using the Euro it has sort of stamped out the grey dealer imports from the EU, thus now there is little difference between going grey and direct from the AD. Used these sell for around £4000-£4500, so it's entirely up to you with route you want to go, obviously you can expect them to hold their money extremely well.
    Totally agree if you can manage without out a date function and glide lock is fantastic

Must say I prefer the 116600 over the 114060 as the case profile is better, I do still have a 114060 but it's not standard

Master
    thanks again for your replies,i am now more than keen to get one.i will buy it from my local AD,they are only 3 miles from me.i bought a new speedy moon watch from a spanish AD last november and my wife and i enjoyed the experience..cheers greasemonkey

Quote Originally Posted by pitbull666 View Post
    Must say I prefer the 116600 over the 114060 as the case profile is better, I do still have a 114060 but it's not standard
    What have you done? It looks like you put a 'Wayne and Shazza' windscreen sticker on an Aston Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by bitfield View Post
    What have you done? It looks like you put a 'Wayne and Shazza' windscreen sticker on an Aston Martin.
    Each to their own I guess!

But as you asked, watch case refinshed fully brushed, crown bead blasted, ceramic insert refinshed matte and a YM red second hand fitted.

PS it will be in the FS section soon if you change your mind, I'm about to mod a 116600
    Last edited by pitbull666; 7th April 2016 at 11:06.

I think the 114060 is a great modern incarnation of the original Submariner. You really can't go wrong with one.

But as you asked, watch case refinshed fully brushed, crown bead blasted, ceramic insert refinshed matte and a YM red second hand fitted.

PS it will be in the FS section soon if you change your mind, I'm about to mod a 116600
    What's the planned mod

I actually like the mod.

Master
    I had one but really didn't like the case shape. The lugs for me are just to thick for my liking so the flow from the case to bracelet just doesn't work for me. I agree that if you're buying new the 116600 is a nicer watch as the case shape is less like a brick.

I have a 14060 2 liner and that is likely to be my sub for life.

I would definitely recommend trying on the 116600 alongside the 114060

Quote Originally Posted by natosteve View Post
    What's the planned mod
    Similar lines to the 114060 hence no reason having both

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    I actually like the mod.
    Thanks :) some like some don't but it makes a nice difference.

I like what you've done there, particularly the red second hand and matt bezel insert.

I think it'll look good on the 116600 too.

When are you thinking of selling it?

I like the red second hand

I was very close to getting a 114060 earlier in the year but opted for a very late 14060M four liner. To me that is just the classic sub look but with the same movement as the 114060. Much better proportions and IMO not as blingy looking. You could argue that actually there is nothing in the price between the two as the late four liners seem to command a higher price more and more.

One of the big factors though is that I read about horror stories whereby if you damage the ceramic bezel on a 114060 it costs a fortune to replace whereas the old school 14060M is a £60 insert from Rolex. Would state the only negative is the old bracelet as the glide lock is a lovely bit of kit

Similar lines to the 114060 hence no reason having both
    Should be good. You should source a red date disk like this post https://www.minus4plus6.com/SD4000.php#red

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by natosteve View Post
    Should be good. You should source a red date disk like this post https://www.minus4plus6.com/SD4000.php#red
    really an informative website. the red date dish looks more distinct than other model