closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Another FAKE Rolex sold by a "buy-back" store.....now with warranty card

I would not have known that from a real one, very pro operation making these. I bet a fair few million will get made selling this junk

Master
    Thanks for sharing. Very helpful!

Journeyman
    It seems they are having another go at selling it to some unsuspecting punter:

http://webshop.cashconverters.co.uk/...-116610ln-2014

They must now know its a fake so does this now constitute a fraud ?

Prats !

I have to laugh at the description:
    THE BEZEL IS FITTED WITH THE OPTIONAL PLASTIC BEZEL PROTECTOR WHICH CAN BE EASILY TOOK OFF IF REQUIRED.
    Alternatively, I suppose that you can wear the watch with the bezel protector fitted!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wls1971 View Post

Prats !
    "ALL CHECKS HAVE BEEN COMPLETED AND INDEPENDATLY VERIFIED" apparently.

Oh dear.

Someone might write directly to the CEO of Cash Converters, pointing out that someone in their company (perhaps someone who's made a bad error and is trying not to suffer the financial consequences of that error?) is deliberately attempting etc etc

Master
    I am puzzled. Cash Converters seem to be claiming that they have checked and verified the authenticity of this watch..which had been withdrawn from sale.
    So just what is going on? It would indeed be fraud to knowingly sell a fake...so I assume they believe , after checks, that it is legitimate?
    No wonder I stick to ADs these days.

Seems they are selling fake Cartier too...

https://mobile.twitter.com/cash_conv...Ctwgr%5Eauthor

Master
    That fake sub is for sale at my local chav converters they may well belive its real as I doubt any of the staff could read or write let alone tell a fake sub from a real one.

Anyway why would anyone want to buy a real one with the ad experience when you could have the chav converters experience of buying a fake from illiterate monkeys while surrounded by stolen power tools and breathing in the b o and stale fag scented air.

I wonder how quickly they would hand over cash and how much if you took a fake with that sort of set of B/P to them?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkO View Post
    I wonder how quickly they would hand over cash and how much if you took a fake with that sort of set of B/P to them?
    Hehe

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wls1971 View Post

Prats !
    I was abroad when you posted about the fake's apparent reappearance; unfortunately the link is no longer "live."

I would like to follow this up (I sit on a trade council with CC), so do you or anyone else have a saved copy / cache of the watch when it was readvertised?

Thankyou,

Haywood

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Haywood_Milton View Post
    I was abroad when you posted about the fake's apparent reappearance; unfortunately the link is no longer "live."

I would like to follow this up (I sit on a trade council with CC), so do you or anyone else have a saved copy / cache of the watch when it was readvertised?

Thankyou,

Haywood

http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...-116610ln-2014

but seems I can only get the text only version to load so not sure how much use it is to you.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...-116610ln-2014

but seems I can only get the text only version to load so not sure how much use it is to you.
    Thankyou very much - it's a start ! Can any member confirm that on the full listing one could see the same warranty card / case number as that of the fake which I illustrated to start this thread, 19P4R824 ?

Bearing in mind their usual "optimistic" pricing, it is odd that they asked only £3,999 for this 116610LN, a watch which typically might get the best part of a thousand pounds more.......if real.

Thanks again,

H

Master
    Here are the images from the advert, I'd suggest downloading them yourself to keep a copy as they are currently hosted by CC.
    Also have a copy of the html of the advert in pdf which would confirm (by image name) what images were used in the advert, if you pm me a email address I can send you this.

http://ccuk-product-images.cashconve...superLarge.jpg

Master
    In short yes, it looks like they had put the watch back up for sale,

card as presented to Haywood around 29th March

card as published by CC on 4th Apr

Master
    In between those dates, we had identified his watch definitively as a fake for our customer, who went and obtained a refund on that basis.

Anyone else slightly disturbed to see a watch with the same case number (and identical, incorrect clasp date code etc) offered for sale as genuine only days later?

Sniff. Sniff. What is that ?
    Last edited by Haywood_Milton; 17th April 2016 at 23:14.

Master
    In between those dates, we had identified the watch definitively as a fake for our customer, who went and obtained a refund on that basis.

Anyone else slightly disturbed to see a watch with the same case number (and identical, incorrect clasp date code etc) offered for sale as genuine only days later?

Sniff. Sniff. What is that ?
    I would expect the store manager to have some pretty searching questions to answer. If the papers got hold of that, the company's high-ups wouldn't like resulting negative publicity one bit I should think.

A quick search on the site reveals 13 Rolex listed. Make you wonder about the rest...
    Last edited by Padders; 15th April 2016 at 13:20.

Master
    I presume that at some point, the sale of such a fake can be seen as potential fraud. If any retailer has been informed the watch is a fake, and continues to try to sell it as genuine, well, draw your own conclusions.

Master
    Not suprising with chav converters "business practices" has any body reported it to the police ?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    Here are the images from the advert, I'd suggest downloading them yourself to keep a copy as they are currently hosted by CC.
    Also have a copy of the html of the advert in pdf which would confirm (by image name) what images were used in the advert, if you pm me a email address I can send you this.
    For the benefit of all, here are those cached images apparently used in the second sale. Note the case number, the date code on the clasp, the crown, the high cyclops and any number of other "familiar" features.

Last edited by Haywood_Milton; 15th April 2016 at 13:41.

Blog Entries
    The quality of fake Rolex watches these days really is quite scary, anyone who is considering a 'non-AD' purchase needs to get some serious homework in to educate themselves in spotting fakes. A pre-owned Rolex needs the back off before purchase (you would need to have the correct case-
    back die and wrench if the seller does not have one. Also you need a 30X jewellers loupe to inspect the surface finish of the sides and bottom of the serial number having previously viewed a 'pukka one' in detail.

What a minefield! Most guys could not go to all this faff and the solution really is to buy from the AD or someone you totally trust who is the original owner if buying pre-owned.

An interesting bracelet on this 116520 that cash converters have.
    http://webshop.cashconverters.co.uk/...a-rolex-116520

Journeyman
    I learned a lot from this post, so thank you for your expertise!

Can I ask a question about the watch face and it's fakery?
    I noticed you picked up on faults that prove it was a fake on everything but the face/hands/dial/bezel etc.

Where there clear faults on that area of the watch that weren't mentioned or was it done quite well - on that part I spent 20 minutes looking at it and comparing it. It wasn't, disturbingly, far off the real thing to my non-expert eye.

Thanks

Edit: I noticed your cyclops comment, so thanks again!
    Last edited by Siac; 15th April 2016 at 15:35.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gbn13 View Post
    An interesting bracelet on this 116520 that cash converters have.
    http://webshop.cashconverters.co.uk/...a-rolex-116520
    What do you think is wrong with that ?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Siac View Post
    I learned a lot from this post, so thank you for your expertise!

Can I ask a question about the watch face and it's fakery?
    I noticed you picked up on faults that prove it was a fake on everything but the face/hands/dial/bezel etc.

Where there clear faults on that area of the watch that weren't mentioned or was it done quite well - on that part I spent 20 minutes looking at it and comparing it. It wasn't, disturbingly, far off the real thing to my non-expert eye.

Thanks
    All I wish to add on this point is that the fakers are making greater efforts than ever before on the dials, as that is where people tend to look most critically. The quality of many is very good, so beware!

H

Journeyman
    AAAHGHH I'm in duplicate post Hell! LOL

Shouldn't the coronet on the clasp be nearer to the edge?

Journeyman
    All I can see is Steel Inox on the bracelet? (I think! Pictures are awful to sell a £7k watch!)

Is that a give away?

Edit: Only that I saw your Steel Inox comment on the known fake. I'm learning and this is good fun!

Master
    All I can see is Steel Inox on the bracelet? (I think! Pictures are awful to sell a £7k watch!)

Is that a give away?

Edit: Only that I saw your Steel Inox comment on the known fake. I'm learning and this is good fun!
    Should have gone to Specsavers, then! I can see 78490, EO5 and a number of other markings in that image!

I believe THIS bracelet to be okay.

H

Journeyman
    Should have gone to Specsavers, then! I can see 78490, EO5 and a number of other markings in that image!

I believe THIS bracelet to be okay.

H
    My bad summarised typing. I can see the rest, I was focussed on the Steel Inox being a "thing"... only as it was mentioned on the Submariner fake. :)

Was that positioning of the text rather than the actual text?

Master
    My bad summarised typing. I can see the rest, I was focussed on the Steel Inox being a "thing"... only as it was mentioned on the Submariner fake. :)

Was that positioning of the text rather than the actual text?
    It was the text itself which I noted as incorrect on the fake Submariner, the kerning of the letters being something you might commonly look at.

H

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    Someone might write directly to the CEO of Cash Converters, pointing out that someone in their company (perhaps someone who's made a bad error and is trying not to suffer the financial consequences of that error?) is deliberately attempting etc etc
    Someone is indeed on the case as you say :-)

Journeyman
    It was the text itself which I noted as incorrect on the fake Submariner, the kerning of the letters being something you might commonly look at.

H
    Kerning - just learned a new word! :)

Not young enough to know everything! (Thank you Mr. Wilde!)

Master
    What this thread demonstrates to me is that it is virtually impossible for a normal watch buyer to detect a fake like this. Anyone who trusts their own judgement needs to be very skilled indeed.
    It's a bad situation, and getting worse.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    What this thread demonstrates to me is that it is virtually impossible for a normal watch buyer to detect a fake like this. Anyone who trusts their own judgement needs to be very skilled indeed.
    It's a bad situation, and getting worse.
    Yes, imagine all the people who believe they have a real sub but are in fact wearing a fake. The mind boggles...

Quote Originally Posted by Dynam0humm View Post
    It's easy to identify fake a Rolex if the buyer goes to the trouble of removing the case back. The fake Rolex movements currently out there are easy to spot but most of the fakes will usually have an easier to spot ETA clone inside. The big problem is with other brands such as Tag or Breitling for example that use a ETA movement as standard. All it takes is for the fakers to produce a good case and dial and then slot a ETA clone (or even genuine) movement inside with a new fake rotor with the manufacturers name on it and then you have a watch that could get past many of the AD's 'experts'.
    At what point does the cost of producing a convincing fake including the time involved to manufacture it make it a futile exercise? Some of these fakes are quite well made and I presume some time, effort and cost has gone into making them. Are we talking £200 or £1000 to make something like this. Purely interested for educational purposes obviously!

Quote Originally Posted by ataripower View Post
    At what point does the cost of producing a convincing fake including the time involved to manufacture it make it a futile exercise? Some of these fakes are quite well made and I presume some time, effort and cost has gone into making them. Are we talking £200 or £1000 to make something like this. Purely interested for educational purposes obviously!
    Varies - it gets more complex because people then swap out bits on fakes that don't look right with part off the real thing.

Quote Originally Posted by GrandS View Post
    Yes, imagine all the people who believe they have a real sub but are in fact wearing a fake. The mind boggles...
    It would be a sad world if the only way to guarantee getting an original watch was to buy new from an AD.

Master
    Crown position on that fake Rolex looks all wrong to me, not familiar with the latest models but on my old Sea-Dweller the crown sat more above the case band than below. On all the fake SDs I saw this was the other way round as its a fundamental side effect of the difference between the Rolex and ETA clone faker movements. Similarly when one unscrews the crown it was the case for a long period of Rolex's history that you turn the crown to adjust the time in the opposite direction to ETA movements (ISTR don't have any ETAs now for several years). I guess a faker could go to the lengths to correct those things and make a watch with a movement whose crown action works and feels like a Rolex, however on one level if they did that they would be doing better than most Swiss manufacturers out there as none of em at the cheaper end I have sampled make a crown feel as sturdy yet smooth working like Rolex.

I think you meant to say this.

Yes, imagine all the people who believe they have a real sub watch but are in fact wearing a fake. The mind boggles...
    R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Master
    Indeed, and one can only imagine what an unscrupulous seller might say if one found out and took such a watch back for a refund a year or two later :

"Oh no, that couldn't possibly be the same watch we sold you."

Where are you left then?

H

Banned

Where are you left then?

H
    Up s*** creek without a paddle.

Was going to place a bid at a local auction house for a rolex and decided to wait until I educate myself more on what to look out for, so thank you for posting this

Banned
    Blog Entries

Journeyman
    It's amazing a shop would even consider to sell something knowing it's not the genuine thing.

Was talking with a guy the other day who has a couple of fake Rolex, he is constantly comparing them to my sub, he doesn't hide the fact they are fake, it's a laugh for him. What worried me was all the research he is doing on Rolex as he wants a real one, is that he has found what he calls a "perfect fake" online for around a £1000. Why spend so much on a fake? For crying out loud, get a real one.

Quote Originally Posted by Neilw3030 View Post
    Was talking with a guy the other day who has a couple of fake Rolex, he is constantly comparing them to my sub, he doesn't hide the fact they are fake, it's a laugh for him. What worried me was all the research he is doing on Rolex as he wants a real one, is that he has found what he calls a "perfect fake" online for around a £1000. Why spend so much on a fake? For crying out loud, get a real one.
    He sounds like a tool! :-O

Master
    It is one thing for twits to talk nonsense and throw their money at rubbish from websites which don't pretend to offer anything else.

It is quite another for high street UK retailers to offer a fake watch at close to what would be full market price for a real one, to describe it as real and either not have half a chuffing clue about what they are selling or offer it with full knowledge of what they are selling.

At least in 2012 the prices asked for fakes gave buyers a clue :

http://www.croydonadvertiser.co.uk/C...ail/story.html

H

Master
    I presume Rolex is targeted by fakes more than any other brand due to the high profile. Reading this there is no way I'd buy a pre owned given the such high quality of copying these days. Except from very long standing members of this forum of course.