closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you wear watches 24/7?

Master

Do you wear watches 24/7?

Whilst in the Selfridges Rolex boutique today I asked to have a look at the President bracelet fitted as standard on the Daydates. To me it seems quite fiddly as there is so little over clasp visible to lift up and remove it.
    The assistant said - why would you want to take it off? I wear mine all the time - it's an extension of my personality like a ring.
    Do others do this? Day, night, shower etc. Obviously doesn't apply to leather straps of course but solid gold doesn't tarnish so why worry I was told.

24/7. Got bad eyes so can't see clock radio at night!

President bracelet is a work of art, just pull the Coronet with a fingernail. Never came loose by accident, never didn't come off when I wanted it to.

But no, don't wear a watch in bed (scratches the wife), shower (gets gunked with soap) or to bath the baby (might scratch her). I also remove for the gym or hard *ahem* work.

Extension of his personality... FFS it's a wristwatch. And most of mine are on straps, they have to come off!

Master
    The President Braclet is great, I like the seamless look to it as it it was all one continuous design, with only the crown catch hinting that it comes open. The newer Jubilee Bracelets also have this now, and adds a quality feel to the watches.

A big clasp, is easy and lazy imho.
    But my preference, when well done is the butterfly clasp on a bracelet, I owned a Longines and a Zenith with that design, it gave a beautiful finish to the product. Worst was a Panerai butterfly/deployant, well made but didn't fit me, the curve of the clasp just dug into my wrist, and the holes made the leather strap either too tight or too lose, but solved that with a OEM buckle

I think it might be time to admit you just don't like Rolex
    So far we've had negative opinions on, fiddly clasp design, poor qc, movement accuracy, the hassle of setting and winding
    Last edited by nunya; 29th March 2016 at 14:34.

Grand Master
    No,when I'm asleep I can't see the watch.

Journeyman

I would, but I can't...

My workplace hygiene rules mean I can't wear a watch (or even my wedding ring for that matter) on the shop floor. When I'm not set work, I have a watch on constantly.

Master
    Well the salesmans pitch only really works on the basis that it is your only watch.

I wear a watch 24/7, but i'll often go through 5 by the time I turn the lights out. Something light and unobtrusive while working at the desk, chronograph while cooking, diver in the bath, something with strong lume at bedtime etc.

No, I don't.

I (nearly) always take mine off when I go to bed or showering or washing up - even my divers!

M
    Last edited by snowman; 29th March 2016 at 14:32.

Can't imagine wearing a watch all the time, irrespective of material. I don't wear one in the house at all, and don't wear one at the gym, running, cycling or arm wrestling...especially arm wrestling. I'm not very good.

I don't take my watch off at night, but I do when showering, riding motorbikes, doing most sports and if it's a good one, before any work that's likely to damage it.
    Last edited by andy tims; 29th March 2016 at 14:36.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

I wear one most of the time .

Master
    One would assume that the assistant in the boutique only owns one watch, then?

I wear a watch most waking hours, 7 days out of 7. Don't shower or bathe wearing a watch and it'll come off if I'm doing anything manual and before going to bed but other than that, there's always something on the wrist. Only real exception is holidays, when it tends to be evenings only.

SGR

I never take mine off, feel naked without one on

I'm always wearing one - different pieces at different times, of course. G-shocks for gym/field work, nicer Seiko/Omegas for work. Feel naked without one...so much so, I often end up wearing them in bed!

24/7 have a watch on
    although I swap to an evening watch to sleep, which is less likely to self destruct when I flail my arms around in my sleep.

Master
    Only when showering or bathing, and if I'm going to be doing something that will 'ding' or scratch a decent watch, on goes my beater.

Blog Entries
    Always take mine off before getting into bed and like today have not bothered to put a watch back on and if I need to see the time in the dark I use my phone.

Blog Entries
    Don't sleep with one on but there is no problem with the clasp on the president bracelet .

I take whatever I am wearing off to shower, but that's about it.

I started wearing one to bed only because I couldn't be bothered faffing around in the morning (before shower) to put one on, but I still liked to know the time.

Grand Master
    Yep.

My vintage 18ct Pie-Pan Cinstellation gets worn 24/7, whilst stripping car engines down etc.......well you would, wouldn't you....they're 'made to be worn'!

Salesperson was trying to guild the lily a little by playing down any negative aspect. Does anyone wear something like a day/date 24/7? If they never get their hands dirty perhaps they would, but I reckon they're in a minority.

I wear a watch virtually 24/7, but much of that time the watch will be a £15 Casio. Horses for course, keep the nice stuff looking nice and wear the cheapos for the dirty jobs. Maybe in some folks's eyes a Day Date is a cheapo....lets not go there again!

Paul

Master
    Definitely 24/7 for me! My watch stays on whatever I'm doing (except when I'm swapping one for another!).

Master
    Always take mine off to go to sleep. The idea of sleeping in a watch just seems wrong tbh!

If I'm wearing a diver I'll wear it in the shower every now and then to clean it, but no, generally take the watch off.

Blog Entries
    I sometimes wear mine 24x7

I only take mine off when I'm spraying deodorant or Aftershave.

Craftsman
    Used to be 24/7... now it is off for shower and heavy spannering on the Land Rovers....

Journeyman
    I went for about 7 or 8 years where I rarely took off my watch but as they've got bigger and i had a choice of watch to wear I found myself removing them at night. In fact I don't have one on now. I took it off mid morning to shower and I haven't put one back on.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by senraw View Post
    I only take mine off when I'm spraying deodorant or Aftershave.
    Why do you spray deodorant and perfume on your wrists?

Master
    I tend to wear my watch 24/7 only when on holiday, as I don't have my luminous clock to check the time at night.

Banned
    no and I've gone days without one when I have been feeling ill lately.

I take my watches on and of all day, mostly driving myself crazy.

Yes I do.
    F.T.F.A.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Slamdoor View Post
    The assistant said - why would you want to take it off? I wear mine all the time - it's an extension of my personality like a ring.
    The "assistant" is taking you for a fool. If you don't like the bracelet, don't buy it.

Blog Entries

Usually, no but since I got the JLC DSC I pretty much never take it off, I wear it 24/7.

Master
    Every evening the same ritual either the Seamaster GMT or the Certina Ds First are held up against the lamp light. Nicely lume charged the watch is then strapped back onto the wrist. If the littlun wakes up bellowing or I just momentarily wake, I get to check the time. Somehow it is very soothing so I guess I am a 24/7 man.

Quote Originally Posted by yonsson View Post

Usually, no but since I got the JLC DSC I pretty much never take it off, I wear it 24/7.
    Don't blame you, I wouldn't!!

Really need to get me a DSC one of these days.

As soon as I put my trousers on it the morning, I feel the lack of a watch. If I'm still wearing it when they come off at the end of the day, I feel like a terrible pervert

Master
    First thing I remove when at home is my watch and will only wear it again when going out...

Master
    Take mine off before going to bed and on again after the shower in the morning.

Can't be good for your skin to always have a watch on - I guess depends on how tight you wear it. Think it would also irritate me - especially a larger heavier watch

First thing i remove when i get home is my trousers.
    Sometimes i put them on again if i`m going out.

I put a watch on when retiring to the marital chambers of an eve, then take it off in the morning when i put my trousers on.

Never thought anyone wore a watch 24/7!

I take mine off when I change into "lounge wear" at the end of the day and put one on when I get dressed for the day.

Quote Originally Posted by mjoranga View Post
    First thing I remove when at home is my watch and will only wear it again when going out...
    My missus does this too, never understood it myself, but cheered to learn that she's not the only one.

Watch on 24/7 for me, got something for every occasion.

Quote Originally Posted by Wexford View Post
    got something for every occasion.
    What would you wear while riding a Gloucestershire Old Spot pig through a carwash?

Has I can't wear one for work I leave them on all weekend

There's a little too much information in some of these posts!

I too hold whichever watch I'm wearing (when I get into bed) under my reading light to charge the lume up for the night. It used to irritate my wife but now she's used to my peculiarities. She does however insist that I don't do it with my full lume DeTomaso as it's so bright it keeps her awake...

I don't shower in watches and I take them off when I bath my grandson to avoid scratching him.

I have one 'beater' that I always wear if I'm doing manual tasks - a brass Maranez Layan.

Other than the showering/bathing, I wear a watch all the time. I feel quite unsettled if I realise I've not put one on...

I agree with your comment, Lewis; the salesman's remark about "an extension of his personality" is pretentious cobblers... I wear a watch because I like wearing a watch - it's not complicated.

Simon

Master
    Probably 22/7.

I change into a G shock when I get home from work and I'll sleep with that on. The only times I'm not wearing a watch are when I'm showering, training at the gym or doing something DIY wise. I used to wear the same watch day and night but now I have more expensive (to me) watches it seems wrong to lounge around / sleep with one of them on.

Put it on the nightstand when you're asleep, facing yourself of course!

Can't wear my watches whilst sleeping. I move too much.

Quote Originally Posted by comdiver View Post
    I never take mine off, feel naked without one on
    +1

Master
    Thanks for all the replies - clearly some folk do feel 'naked' without something on the wrist. I take mine off at night although confess on wearing it in bed on the first night and was surprised at the high pitched zing from the Rolex movement which I could clearly hear through the pillow if my wrist was underneath.
    As for the DD, if I had one I think I'd be frightened to wear it too often so would defeat the purpose to me.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
    Why do you spray deodorant and perfume on your wrists?
    Probably prefers fragrant to vagrant.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by E_2_Right-Force View Post
    What would you wear while riding a Gloucestershire Old Spot pig through a carwash?
    A Rolex Sea-Dweller. Obviously. Why on earth do you feel the need to ask?