closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: RAF 6BB

Craftsman

RAF 6BB

Looking old but runs sweet as a nut, not bad for a 40 year old.

Banned
    Very nice, 76 was a good year.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by soapy View Post
    Very nice, 76 was a good year.
    It was also bloody hot

Nice, referred to as the lost navigator. Manufacturer unknown, only made in 1976 in (relatively) small numbers compared to the ubiquitous Hamilton and CWC W10's.

RAF 6BB

Very nice -- so was the manufacturer actually unknown? As it was an issued military watch it must have been under a contract from one of the players at the time?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by turnera1 View Post
    Very nice -- so was the manufacturer actually unknown? As it was an issued military watch it must have been under a contract from one of the players at the time?
    That seems to be the case and maybe only 2000 made. I'm sure someone will have more info out there.

Mmh interesting ... Would be curious to know

Banned
    are there no makers marks inside or on the movement?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by soapy View Post
    are there no makers marks inside or on the movement?
    Don't know,never had it apart.

Banned
    it was a general question to those in the know.

No makers/manufacturers marks at all - sterile. There's an very informative article by Terry Andrews on the Web, just Google 6bb lost navigator and it should appear.

Craftsman
    Well these seem to have gone up in value a bit!
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3815951930...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

A little more information here on the RAF 6BB

http://thewatchspotblog.com/?p=4317.

Craftsman
    I like that a lot. No maker keeps things understated.

RAF 6BB

I was just wondering as the dial is sterile -- does this mean that there more fakes of these around and therefore I have to be extra careful if I look to buy one?

Craftsman

RAF 6bb

Thinking about moving this on to a new home, what do you think is a fair valuation people.

There's one finishing on ebay tonight, might be a guide? Last couple have gone in the £500 region I think. Given that Hamilton W10's seem to fetch £300 plus now and they are very easy to come across I'd think that a couple of hundred quid more for one of these rare ish beasties is worth it?

Evening all. Bit of thread resurrection. I was browsing a local sales section and came across this which i believe is a 6BB lost navigator. it looks to have had a hard life but the owner says it winds and runs and im wondering if its worth a punt?However how much of a punt is it worth? If i assume a service it, have the lume stabilised new crystal etc what's it going to be worth afterwards and what short of punt should i therefore be looking to make? Any thoughts/ideas gratefully received.

Photos below from seller

2021-02-06_04-41-06 by AndyR2011, on Flickr
    2021-02-06_04-41-30 by AndyR2011, on Flickr

Thanks all.

Andy

Craftsman
    Yes looks like a lost Nav but as you suggest in poor condition. Saw one listed for sale last year with an on-line antique clock and watch dealer in A1 condition listed at £750 and it was soon sold, though this one I wouldn't pay any more than a couple of hundred for. Mind its not as bad as this 74 Hamilton Geneve 6BB currently on ebay.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Early-RAF...oAAOSwAqhgHqtR

Yep that is the fabled ‘lost navigator’, as said they can go for a princely sum in good condition, 700-1000.
    For that example I would not want to pay more than 250/300 quid tops. Getting a replacement crystal that uses the same retaining ring can be a bit of a pain, the dial looks to have had moisture on it, one of the unique features of these watches is they usually have bright mint green lume that does not fade or yellow for some reason (a bit like the 82 CWC chrono). This example obviously does not have that.
    No one knows for definite who made these but my money is on Precista.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed875 View Post
    Yes looks like a lost Nav but as you suggest in poor condition. Saw one listed for sale last year with an on-line antique clock and watch dealer in A1 condition listed at £750 and it was soon sold, though this one I wouldn't pay any more than a couple of hundred for. Mind its not as bad as this 74 Hamilton Geneve 6BB currently on ebay.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Early-RAF...oAAOSwAqhgHqtR
    I quite like the dial on that Hamilton, if I had a movement going spare and I could get it for the right price I might take a punt.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    Yep that is the fabled ‘lost navigator’, as said they can go for a princely sum in good condition, 700-1000.
    For that example I would not want to pay more than 250/300 quid tops. Getting a replacement crystal that uses the same retaining ring can be a bit of a pain, the dial looks to have had moisture on it, one of the unique features of these watches is they usually have bright mint green lume that does not fade or yellow for some reason (a bit like the 82 CWC chrono). This example obviously does not have that.
    No one knows for definite who made these but my money is on Precista.
    Would agree there's a good chance Southern's supplied them, as CWC had their hands full with a pretty big first contract to supply W10's to the Army in 76. The two companies also appear to have worked hand in hand during the 80's supplying the MOD various timepieces, with the only deviation from this partnership being the Newmark supply of Chrono's in 1980 and the switch to Seiko for these in 1984; suspect the MOD were getting them at near cost from the Japanese manufacturer to to win and keep this contract, as there not the clearest watches to read factoring in bouncing around in an aircraft.

Thanks for all the useful information, the forum hive mind is an awesome resource

I took a punt and made the chap an offer that i was comfortable with, however hes very much wanting top end and told me hes been offered (and presumably turned down) c.£450.

If anyone wants sight of the listing its on Gumtree

Navigator watch military ,
    https://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/n...nt=app_android

Thanks again all.

I would not be paying that.
    There are a lot more interesting watches (IMO) out there for that money.
    I paid a lot less for my 89 issued Precista Diver and about the same for my 82 issued chronograph, both less than a year ago.

Agreed. Ive wished him well and have moved swiftly on.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    I would not be paying that.
    There are a lot more interesting watches (IMO) out there for that money.
    I paid a lot less for my 89 issued Precista Diver and about the same for my 82 issued chronograph, both less than a year ago.

I enjoy the occasional wear of my 1984 6BB when I'm in a vintage mood. One of 1600 made by Precista in that year I believe.

F.T.F.A.

Craftsman
    Current known s/n range's for the G10 suggest there were 965 CWC contracted to the RAF in 83 and 1691 Precista in 84. No further G10 contracts were issued against the RAF after this time.

6BB 83 CWC with the new CWC bund strap and 84 Precista with an original example issued in the late 80's to an RAF SNCO air medic (also have the 85 G10 that was issued with it).

Master
    I would not bother getting the plexi replaced, it just needs a really good clean. Collectors like originality. There are plenty of hints and tips on various sites of how to do this. Very easy, once you know how.

Get the loom sorted and watch serviced and you have a nice little watch.

Quote Originally Posted by MADDOG View Post
    I would not bother getting the plexi replaced, it just needs a really good clean. Collectors like originality. There are plenty of hints and tips on various sites of how to do this. Very easy, once you know how.

Get the loom sorted and watch serviced and you have a nice little watch.
    Yep you can polish the crystal but getting the lume sorted (the original lume is half the attraction of these to me) and having a service undertaken would push the total price to towards over twice what the watch is actually worth.
    He wants over £1200 for it in this condition. there are much better out there.

Master
    £1200 for this watch, why would you especially in the current condition

If you like this type of watch you could buy yourself the Ray Mellor for a third of the price.

To that end this CWC could end up as a money pit.