closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So.... I need a new car.... Here we go again.... (No mx5)

So.... I need a new car.... Here we go again.... (No mx5)

I drive a TT coupe
    It's smart
    S line black edition Tdi

However, my back issues are getting worse (perforated disks) and am struggling with getting in and out tbh

It's sad but that's life

So... Thinking of changing.
    Need something that hits the following spots

Sub £20k to buy or about £200-£250 month pcp inc vat
    Easy toget in and out of
    Sporty or prestige - German or jap mainly

Considering a used X5 but am worried about fuel (diesel)

I do about 300 miles a week I think
    Have no
    Kids or dogs to worry about
    Don't tow
    Insurance not much of an issue

Thoughts?
    I do like the new RS Focus but sure that'll be a bone rattler too

Master
    I know it's considered a bit boring but my immediate response would be a VW Golf.

They come in all varieties but I think either a GTI or GTD would meet your requirements.

I have had a 2.0 TDI GT for 3 years now, which is more than quick enough for me, and although I usually change after 3 years I'm keeping this for at least another year, if not two, as I'm so pleased with it.

Master
    I leased a Seat Leon 184 FR (same engine as Golf GTD) with some options, fully maintained for 2 years at £240 ish a month (10k p/a mileage). Wanted something cheap to run for the wife and it's been excellent so far (done 7k miles). Your mileage will rack the costs up on a lease but there are good deals to be had if you're not set on a specific make/model/colour etc etc. I think anything remotely sporty will have a harsh ride unfortunately these days with the low profile tyres/big wheels/pot holes everywhere!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Jag XF?

Skoda Yeti in terms of ease of access, plus it keeps winning awards.

Alternatively from what I understand Volvos are still incredibly comfortable.
    "A man of little significance"

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    Skoda Yeti in terms of ease of access, plus it keeps winning awards.

Alternatively from what I understand Volvos are still incredibly comfortable.
    Whoops, I missed the 'sporty or prestige' bit, but then you did mention an X5 and I'm not sure that's either.
    "A man of little significance"

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave O'Sullivan View Post
    Jag XF?
    Exactly what I was thinking! Though may be slightly outside the price range (as would a 3/5 series m-sport or a c/e class amg).

The Lexus GS might tick the box!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave O'Sullivan View Post
    Jag XF?
    Jag XE?

I'm not sure on pricing but they're smaller than the XF and look really good IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Jag XE?

I'm not sure on pricing but they're smaller than the XF and look really good IMHO.
    I like the look of these but tfd

Too flipping dear

Quote Originally Posted by JeremyO View Post
    I know it's considered a bit boring but my immediate response would be a VW Golf.

They come in all varieties but I think either a GTI or GTD would meet your requirements.

I have had a 2.0 TDI GT for 3 years now, which is more than quick enough for me, and although I usually change after 3 years I'm keeping this for at least another year, if not two, as I'm so pleased with it.
    Was thinking the R model petrol as some good lease deals

I'm thinking maybe not comfortable again?

Banned
    A friend of mine has a ford focus RS I see it skitting down down the road with little bunny hops.

Try something with air suspension, I love mine, together with the Acoustic insulation pack it's very comfortable.

Audi A8.

Maybe urban myth, but Toyotas as supposed to have the 'best' seats for people with back problems.....but their recent models are pretty much all DULL!!

Small soft-roader seems the best bet? BMW X1 or 3, Audi Q3/5 (maybe out of budget)....RAV4??!! I'd go for Volvo XC60 or even 90, great used prices on the previous model of the latter?

I'm all up for used

Prefer approved used type stuff from dealers

Quote Originally Posted by afcneal View Post
    Maybe urban myth, but Toyotas as supposed to have the 'best' seats for people with back problems.....but their recent models are pretty much all DULL!!
    When I had my Avensis I used to get out of my car bent double after my 300 mile drive to Yorkshire to see family.

Since I've had the Mercedes, I haven't had that problem. Mercedes seats feel hard but on a long journey they are very good!

Banned
    Avoid BMW with Run Flats, which is nearly all the range.

The ride is not forgiving, even in comfort mode.

Quote Originally Posted by Fords View Post

...or simply replace them.........

Did this before on a copper s
    Totally agree

1. Volvo
    2. Volvo
    3. Volvo

Most comfy seats and ride of any of the exec's, just choose the size and shape that fits needs/budget

Master

The latest generation run flat tyres are actually pretty good.

I'm running Bridgestone S001s at the moment, and I've gone from being a run flat hater to a bit of a lover.

To be fair, the underlying suspension setup will impact the ride quality far more than the tyres.

Or buy an Alpina. I had the D3 Bi-turbo which has a 2.0ltr diesel with 215bhp. Best car I've owned

The car with the most comfortable ride I've ever owned was a 1995 W124 E320. It was like driving an armchair. It's safe to say they are in budget!

What about a Jag XJ8 / R? I've never driven one but from what I read they are smoooooth.

Our current Discovery has a very upright driving position that might be comfortable for you.

Quote Originally Posted by m4ckg View Post
    Or buy an Alpina. I had the D3 Bi-turbo which has a 2.0ltr diesel with 215bhp. Best car I've owned
    I don't imaging they're ten a penny though really.......

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk280 View Post

What about a Jag XJ8 / R? I've never driven one but from what I read they are smoooooth.
    The OP did say his back was knackered so getting in and out of one of them, without Vaseline, could a touch troublesome.....

Banned
    I have heard some insurance company's check the car on stock tyre's after a claim, I think you have to inform them if you change from run flats as they claim they are about safety.

Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    The OP did say his back was knackered so getting in and out of one of them, without Vaseline, could a touch troublesome.....
    It's a Jag, not a Lotus Exige!

There are some second hand / demonstrator Honda HRV's for less than £20,000, But I am biased as I purchased a brand new one in January.
    Japanese reliability, easy to get in and out of, good fuel consumption for the diesel and loads of storage room and except for the base model, lots of safety features.

Lexus RX 450H! Superb comfort and spec, economical, good prestige level and sub 8 seconds to 60 in a huge 4x4.

Plenty to be had, sub 20k.

Try one!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk280

X350 XJR is a great shout. Super comfy and hugely cosseting with oodles of power.

Mercedes ML?

Volvo XC60. As well built as the German cars, fantastic seats and easy to get in and out of.

Blog Entries
    Honda CRV - a rather boring choice and not particularly "prestige" but very reliable and one of the easiest cars to get in and out of, with a very comfortable ride.

Most people will think you're retired though and did I mention the boring bit?

A5 (you like VAG)

Mercedes E220/E350 coupe - very comfy.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Consider a SUV if you want an easy step in and out. Even me, who is young and fairly fit, appreciate my dad's V70 XC for this reason !

Craftsman
    Another vote for the Lexus GS. New, it didn't compete well against a BMW or Audi diesel; but second hand when you'll be footing the bill for the repairs, there's no comparison.

Added bonus, model years 2011-14 don't have the huge front grill.

Journeyman
    I have back issues too. For me its not the ride but the shape of the seats that the most important thing. I've had to sell 2 modern Porches due to seats, yet my 964 is fine.

I've had issues with VW seats in a GTI.

Late BMW's withsport seats are great and I'll stick to BMW for that reason.

Suggest you go for an extended test drive whatever you buy.

Master
    My missus got a Mercedes E250 (estate) before Christmas and i have to say it is a fantastically comfy car. I do find it lacks a little bit of poke and if i were to do it again i'd look for an E350. The seats look awful but are great on a long haul, recently did a 350 mile round trip in it and got out fresh.

For what it's worth I just took delivery of a new Volvo and the seats really are fantastic. They were just as good on the last Volvo I had which was a 2000 model so they have been good for years. Looks like you need a higher up car so maybe an older xc90 or newer xc60?

Another suggestion for Volvo XC60

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JeremyO View Post

Another vote for the Golf here and a mate of mine has one in black (GTD) and I was very impressed with its pace , handling and spec and decent economy as long as you're not caning it. I've got one on order in red ,expected soon and can't wait.

Cheers
    Neil

Quote Originally Posted by RickChard View Post
    Lexus RX 450H! Superb comfort and spec, economical, good prestige level and sub 8 seconds to 60 in a huge 4x4.

Plenty to be had, sub 20k.

Try one!
    Yes, I have one as my daily run around. I'm very impressed, and the seats have the reputation of being the best this side of a Bentley. I've had Jags, which are very comfy. The Lexus is even better, and the overall ride is very smooth.
    So clever my foot fell off.

BMW X3 F25 used. Love mine, replaced the run flats and stuck a can or tyre weld in the boot. Eats motorway miles, holds it value well, comfy and I get 450 avg on a 65l tank ( that's mixed driving, motorways a lot more) and I DRIVE the car. Mine is the 3.0d as well...

I suffer from lower back problems and for me personally I've found the seats in my Honda Accord to be very comfortable, the only problem is that their current range of cars are duller than something that is known for being dull.

I'm thinking of replacing my current car and have been looking at the Jaguar XE and at the BMW 3 series but the only problem is you'll never know how comfortable the seats are until you commit and find out.

I think it's the more getting in and out which is my prob

That's why I'm looking more 4x4 type vehicles

Don't want a Volvo and def not a Lexus

The x3 comment is interesting, though I always think ... Why didn't he buy the x5?

Just as an aside, I find it interesting how we view different brands. As in your 'don't want a Volvo' comment I've had the same conversation but my line is 'don't want a BMW'! - why? Well, my wife has a couple of friends who drive BMW's and they are terrible snobs, plus I grew up in Essex in the 80's when every orange tanned airhead I knew drove a BMW. Why Volvo? - I have a few friends who used to drive V70's as police officers, they all had stories of walking away from accidents unscathed (and seeing accidents involving multiple cars including Volvo's) and all chose Volvo's as their own car. I just find it interesting how we make our minds up on car brands for odd intangible reasons sometimes. Whereas with watches I like Rolex/Omega/Seiko/Casio/Sinn etc

I don't get the brand thing either, especially when comfort is the key criteria, Lexus and Volvo are renowned as being the best in class.

The Lexus RX does everything you asked for.

However, your car, your choice! Definitely test drive a BMW thoroughly before deciding, I bought one and found it the most uncomfortable driving experience imaginable and sold it after only a handful of weeks due to it exacerbating my back issues.

Master
    I would also try a Mazda CX 5 a small SUV similar to the X3 but better vale for money although you may discount it as not being prestige which in my view is far over rated compared to reliability.

Quote Originally Posted by Sweepinghand View Post
    I think it's the more getting in and out which is my prob

That's why I'm looking more 4x4 type vehicles

Don't want a Volvo and def not a Lexus

The x3 comment is interesting, though I always think ... Why didn't he buy the x5?
    Few reasons,

1. don't need 7 seats
    2. The F25 X3 is the same size as the older X5 and fits 5 adults comfortably.
    3. Cost. As you'd only want the 2014 onwards X5 to compare with the F25.

Next motor will be the new X5. We get a new X3 G01 I think in 2017...

Never liked the old original X3, the F25 is a whole different animal. And very progressive on the road. Plus residuals are really strong, which is nice :)
    Last edited by Anygreg; 29th March 2016 at 19:01.

Master
    Golf R isn't bumpy and the seats come with adjustable lumbar support as standard. For your mileage ID get the GTD though as my R drinks like Oliver Reid. On 300 miles per week your fuel bill would be about £260pm as it drinks the 99ron stuff.

GTD has a good standard spec and central vehicle leasing are doing them with nav for around £200pm at the moment. Current deals on the R are a fair bit more expensive than they were.

I'd look at BMWs as well as I find their sports seats are the best for my occasionally dodgy back.

I'll make a comment on the GTD mk7, as that was my previous car to the X3. It is an engineering masterpiece.
    The XDS trick diff is simply stunning, everything about the car is outstanding, the standard tech level is great, elec fold mirrors, emergency city braking, radar cruise to name a few.

The reason I no longer have it is because it got stolen off the drive, smashed the kitchen window at 4am grabbed the keys and took the car....

Car was 4 months old with 1500 miles on the clock.

And it's getting more common with the GTD, it's become the new nick able sort after car to steal. Check the golf mk7 forums..

I personally know 2 other people who've had theres stolen in the same manor.

Genuinely loved that car, and could of got another, just didn't want the attention and possible threat of another break in.

Having said that, the X3 is far more capable in terms of being a mile cruncher, sat up higher works for me, performance is awesome..

The reason I became aware of the newer X3 was due to a traffic light GP whilst in my GTD. sat next to what I thought was an X5, turned out to be an X3 3.0d... I was shocked how quick it was! Hence my next vehicle had to be an X3 :)

Master
    The R model is a bit of a theft magnet as well. The reported thefts have died down a bit now and supposedly buying a 3 door is a good deterant as the 5dr seems to be regarded as the ideal getaway car.

The 6 pot BMW diesels are amongst the best and quickest diesels you can get IMHO. An approved used 330d could be worth a look. Economic, fairly luxurious, very quick but not what I would call sporty in its characteristics.