closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How Important is timekeeping to you?

Craftsman
    I have a Seiko Astron GPS

Job done:)

Regards
    V

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    What did everybody do before the advent of quartz, the internet and timegraphers? Was everybody continually late?
    According to many B&W movies I've seen, they would check their pocket watch and then anxiously compare it to the town clock.

While I enjoy checking the spring drive and seeing it bang on, for autos I'm probably OK as long as the deviation is less than a minute a day. Wearing watches in vague rotation means re-setting each time I wear it anyway.

Probably more important is being able to pick up a watch and it already be right, hence always having a couple of quartz or tuning fork watches in the box.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    According to many B&W movies I've seen, they would check their pocket watch and then anxiously compare it to the town clock.
    LOL

Master
    Time keeping doesn't bother me at all.

Commonly forget to even set / wind my watches and don't notice for half the day.

Quote Originally Posted by gunner View Post
    While I enjoy checking the spring drive and seeing it bang on, for autos I'm probably OK as long as the deviation is less than a minute a day. Wearing watches in vague rotation means re-setting each time I wear it anyway.

Probably more important is being able to pick up a watch and it already be right, hence always having a couple of quartz or tuning fork watches in the box.

- - - Updated - - -

LOL
    This is how I feel. It’s nice to have a watch running accurately or a chronometer in the box, knowing the engineering behind it but I rarely wear watches for more than a couple of days before rotating.

Also, I don’t tend to use a watch for anything that has to be accurate to the second (eg eBay auctions on more watches!).

I think I'm happy if they're within +/- 10 seconds per day. That way, if I set it on Monday morning it will be less than a minute out by the end of the working week. They all manage to do better than that though.

I was a little disappointed that the quartz CWC GS gains one second per week. However, having though about it, that's less than half a minute between clock change days. Nothing to worry about really!

Each working day I keep a record in Excel of which watch I'm wearing and its timekeeping. Interesting to see which ones are being worn the most and also to view little charts.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Cornholio View Post
    I was a little disappointed that the quartz CWC GS gains one second per week. However, having though about it, that's less than half a minute between clock change days. Nothing to worry about really!
    1 sec/week is what I`d expect from a normal quartz movement, my pre-Bond Omega Seamaster gains 1 sec/week and I`m fine with that it's the watch that lives on my bench and gets used for regulating others.

What I find frustrating is the watches that vary significantly with wear pattern and state of wind, it makes it more difficult to regulate the watch. This is where the better movements show advantage over lesser ones, but if the watch is 50+ years old that advantage can be negated.

I dont think I wear the same one long enough to be arsed about timekeeping.
    Some folk are totally obsessed with it.

Craftsman
    I rotate my watches and have recently started to chill out about their time keeping.

My perfect antidote for this angst is to wear my Meistersinger!

A couple of weeks ago i realised that i had set my watch that morning one hour slow.
    I didn`t realise until 6 p.m............

It depends on what im using it for, when project managing I use a watch which auto synchronises, like an Apple Watch or a G-Shock.

If i'm on holiday, as long as it's within 2-3 mins I'm not concerned.

One downside of this hobby - from personal experience - is the OCD it can set off, and it almost totally spoiled it for me. Very odd as watches really were the only object I fussed over, and I realised that mechanical watches were the source of my OCD behaviour. I sold them all as a result and until recently I was a solar atomic g shock wearer almost exclusively. Decided I’m cured and have been wearing - and delighted with - a new BB58 which I’ve worn every day for about 6 weeks. I did check the timekeeping after a few weeks just to make sure it was performing roughly as it should - a few seconds either way per day - and it’s fine. Makes me shudder to think how obsessive I became over something so inconsequential!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    10 secs a day is max for me, love Seikos but the autos really need to up their game with regards to accuracy.