closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Manual Wind Watches

Journeyman

Manual Wind Watches

As a newbie (just bought first ever proper watch) I've been looking around on this forum and finding myself v attracted to various models I was never previously even aware of. A question I had was around manual wind watches: is it a pain to have to wind them up or something you just get used to?

I guess this may sound like heresy to some but I suppose I'm just used to automatic or quartz watches. I really fancy a Panerai at some point in the future when my bank balance recovers from the seamaster but the manual wind puts me off a bit. I know they do automatic as we'll but that seems to be mainly the more expensive models.

Yes, 30 seconds every two days, some watches might need that every day.
    It's a huge faff, I'd steer clear if I were you?

Counterpoint - it's a nice physical interaction with the watch that takes a few seconds, and reminds you that you've a machine on your wrist, rather than a computer. I like H/W watches, btu I don't currently own one. Make of that what you will.

It's one of the great pleasures of owning a mechanical watch IMO.

Craftsman
    After a couple of days you'll be used to it and come to actively enjoy it. Maybe even winding it twice a day.

Nothing at all to worry about - something to relish.

Master
    I've enjoyed my handwinds in the past... but, for me, it has to be a nice wind to really enjoy it (my 233 was much nicer to wind than my 111) and no power reserve on the dial meant I frequently forgot to wind it (my 111) within the reserve period.

I would like one again in the future though.

Craftsman
    I prefer manual wind. I think you really appreciate the mechanics of the watch when you wind it up. I find it quite soothing.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I've not used a manual wind watch regularly for a while but when I do, I quite enjoy it. As has been mentioned earlier, it reminds you that you have a little mechanical machine on your wrist!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Also, when did an auto movement look as good as this;

I've previously owned a hand-wound icon, an Omega Speedmaster Professional, and although that's now been sold I still have a Steinhart Marine Chronometer which has an ETA hand-wound movement. It wasn't an issue with either and as several responders have observed, I find it strangely therapeutic.

I certainly don't think you should be put off the idea of a manual watch, although I do actually agree with the earlier comment that some movements are "nicer to wind" than others. In that respect my Steinhart is much better than the Omega was - Speedmasters have quite fiddly low-profile crowns imo.

My intention is that my next major purchase will also be a Panerai, and I think I'll almost certainly go for a manual...

Simon

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave O'Sullivan View Post
    Also, when did an auto movement look as good as this;

?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 5thumbs View Post
    As a newbie (just bought first ever proper watch) I've been looking around on this forum and finding myself v attracted to various models I was never previously even aware of. A question I had was around manual wind watches: is it a pain to have to wind them up or something you just get used to?

I guess this may sound like heresy to some but I suppose I'm just used to automatic or quartz watches. I really fancy a Panerai at some point in the future when my bank balance recovers from the seamaster but the manual wind puts me off a bit. I know they do automatic as we'll but that seems to be mainly the more expensive models.
    A manual wind watch is superior to a an automatic in many respects. It is usually lighter and thinner. It will never stop because you took it off for some reason. You know it will run for more than 24 hours if you wind it up in the morning and there is therefore no need for a power reserve indicator.

The only real disadvantage is that manipulating the crown often has implications for water tightness. A manual wind watch will not normally have a screw down crown due to the inconvenience of always having to unscrew and screw the crown, every time you wind the watch.

If you ask me, then automatic watches are a pain that I have never got used to while I like manual wind very much.

Journeyman
    very interesting perspectives - thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Wexford View Post
    Yes, 30 seconds every two days, some watches might need that every day.
    It's a huge faff, I'd steer clear if I were you?
    Yes, but coming, as I do, from an era before mobile phones, but not thaaat long ago, when most cars didn't have clocks or radios and hotel rooms didn't have radios, never mind TVs, it could be quite scary waking up from a night on the electric soup to find you'd forgotten to wind your watch.

Not knowing if you are on this earth or Fullers is one thing, but remembering you're meeting your area manager and you've no idea of the time is quite another.

I've a delightful old Rolex with manual wind and non-quick-change (roulette) date that I wear intermittently, and far from finding it relaxing winding the thing, I live in constant fear that I'm going to get that sickly 'over top dead centre' feel that could be a harbinger of something expensive as I advance the date by twenty days.

Having said all that, you can't win. My daily wearer is one of two 5M43 Kinetic divers, and I end up annoying SWMBO shaking the bloody thing just to keep it up to mid-charge.

Ten year batteries, solar G-Shocks, bring 'em on.

You're such a bad boy, I may have to pull the trigger on another manual wind watch.

I notice when I wear one of my manual wind models that I develop a nervous 'tick'; when I'm in a meeting or discussing something technical I start to wind the watch.

Also, when I wear a manual wind watch I remind myself far more than is required to wind the thing.

Hand winding is far from a chore and I actually enjoy winding my Nomos Club 701 every day. As others have said, it reminds you that you are wearing a mechanical watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Eamon View Post

?
    Paahh. I say manual is nicer.

I like mechanical watches , automatic or manual wind .

If you have 5 thumbs, I would suggest manual winding is not for you.Sadly.

I actually prefer manual wind. Probably in my head but somehow they feel more "robust".

Also I find I wind my Nomos even when not wearing it, so that it's always ready to pick up and go without having to set the time and change the date.

Grand Master
    Don't be put off by any watch,I have Quartz auto handwind and solar powered watches,all different and ALL liked for what they look like and do.

There all easy to own.

Master
    My manual wind is my lightest and most comfortable watch and I find the need to wind it easier, faster and less of a chore than on my autos.

There's no date to set on mine (which I do think can be a pain when you're in a hurry in the morning) and no need to unscrew then re-screw in the crown.

Simply pull out the crown, set time wind and replace.

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Hang on....does this....does this mean that cats can't wear manuals? That's a blow to my world view. I always pictured cats wearing manuals. Gah.

I've a couple of manual wind watches and I'm a fan, it can be a pain without the quick set date but it's an enjoyable feeling, winding it and knowing it's going to keep time. Makes ownership very tactile

In terms of time, faffing around re-charging an Apple watch probably takes longer, a handwind (non-date) in my opinion is the ultimate smart watch....

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Outstanding!

To the OP, as others have said, it's not a problem at all and actually quite a nice thing to do.

Grand Master
    Can't believe I'm reading this..........if you like the watch buy it and wind the bloody thing up every day!

Actually , you should wind it at least twice/day to ensure the watch is running in a high state of wind; that'll keep the amplitude high and will optimise the timekeeping a tad.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by P9CLY View Post
    Don't be put off by any watch,I have Quartz auto handwind and solar powered watches,all different and ALL liked for what they look like and do.

There all easy to own.
    I like the sound of that! I'm half way there at the moment, thinking Solar might be the next on the list.

Craftsman
    I'm after a Speedmaster Pro and I think the fact that it's a manual wind adds to it's appeal & charm.

Regardless, if a watch that you really want happens to be a manual wind watch, then I don't see why that should put you off.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Lorex View Post
    I'm after a Speedmaster Pro and I think the fact that it's a manual wind adds to it's appeal & charm.
    A few years ago I was buying a new watch. I was looking at a Seamaster Pro and a Planet Ocean. The assistant introduced the thought of a Speedmaster Pro into the arena. It was all going well and I was interested until she said it was a manual wind. At this point I backed away and chose the PO.

A year later I bought an old manual wind Fortis. It has approx 50 hour power reserve, so when I'm wearing it I wind it every two days, in theory. In reality I wake up, give the watch a quick wind before strapping it to my wrist. It's actually quite therapeutic.

Now, in a small way, I regret not buying the Speedie Pro. I'll pull the trigger on one soon...as I understand that charm much better now.
    Last edited by NigeG; 27th March 2016 at 12:06. Reason: Typo

i have a all sorts of movements, quarts, Handwound, automatics, tuningfork. HW give just taht little more joy. I have more feeling with those. It reminds me i'm wearing a timepiece rarther than a computer and it makes me understand the principe of watches more.
    My advice add a HW to the collection if u don't have one!

Master
    When I had my Moonwatch I enjoyed winding it each morning. Not a faff at all.