closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Recommend me a Field Watch

Recommend me a Field Watch

Yes, I know, another boring recommendation thread. But I've run out of inspiration.

I need a watch for all the times when I don't want to wear my other watches, which are mainly divers. I got a CWC G10 for this purpose, but I don't find it particularly legible, which is a shame as otherwise it's more or less perfect.

So, something similar to a G10 (slim and uncomplicated), but that is more legible. I'm not bothered about the movement, but solar is preferable to batteries and I'm not bothered about the case material either, but if it's not metal then it must be G-Shock sturdy rather than bendy plastic.

Go.

Seiko ALBA APBT211 - titanium, 200m WR, available new

Master
    The PRS-29B has become my daily wearer, cant fault it at all.

Master
    Steinhart O1VM.

Grand Master
    Hamilton Khaki Field
    either the quartz or
    the auto, both at excellent at the price point and available across a range of sizes.
    this is a steal on amazon....

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Orologio-Ham...on+khaki+field
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Timex Expedition. You can pick them up for about £30 and they've got a 10 year battery and Indiglo backlight.

Master
    Citizen Promaster Eco Drive

Master
    Another Citizen Pro Eco fan...
    Got one must be 7 or 8 years ago now. Used when I'm doing DiY (hands under floor boards, plumbing, etc...), gardening, field work (clearing ditches, mowing paddocks, felling trees) and never missed a beat. Looking quite bashed but still running.

Quote Originally Posted by ktmog6uk View Post
    Hamilton Khaki Field
    either the quartz or
    the auto, both at excellent at the price point and available across a range of sizes.
    I'll second this - they are fantastic. Big thumbs up from me. Maybe not the best lume, but otherwise very solid.

Do be careful if you go shopping for a used one on the big auction site, though, as some very good fakes of these watches have started to appear in recent years.

I just cracked and ordered a Mens Timex Indiglo Expedition Rugged Field Watch T49271. Photos when it arrives.

Quote Originally Posted by MurrayMint View Post
    I just cracked and ordered a Mens Timex Indiglo Expedition Rugged Field Watch T49271. Photos when it arrives.

For the money a good watch imo , well done .

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    A bit late with a response but this Pulsar has been a firm favorite for a while, to the extent that a Hamilton Khaki couldn't displace it

Hamilton Khaki Field
    either the quartz or

+1

Hamilton Khaki Field
    either the quartz or

I wish I hadn't opened this thread, I am a weak willed kind of a guy and that deal was just too good to pass up on

Apprentice

Spike - what's that Pulsar?

Quote Originally Posted by Spike View Post
    A bit late with a response but this Pulsar has been a firm favorite for a while, to the extent that a Hamilton Khaki couldn't displace it
    Hey Spike, that's a lovely looking Pulsar - could you tell me the model number please. I've looked around and can only find one that's similar but has a magnifying bubble over the date (which isn't very nice). Yours is lush!

Quote Originally Posted by K300 View Post
    Citizen Promaster Eco Drive
    Yep, from the 'Tough' range.

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    I just got my Corvid back from having the dial rpelaced with the full lume verison.
    Good call, a great field watch.
    Lefty crown reallt helps too (for me at least).
    D

Craftsman
    Another vote for the Hamilton Khaki Field, particularly the Automatic version is a lot of watch for the money. ETA 2824-2 base movement is solid as a rock. Plus it's a great looking watch.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by bonzo697 View Post
    Timex Expedition. You can pick them up for about £30 and they've got a 10 year battery and Indiglo backlight.
    Thanks for the recommendation, that looks a great watch for the price...

Master
    My holiday watch:

My Expedition on a Timefactors velcro

Master
    How about a Citizen Royal Marines Commando. Terrific spec and a 5 year warranty. A good price here but I have seen them as low as £183 in a previous Beaverbrooks sale. BTW that picture in the ad doesn't do it justice, they're much nicer on the wrist.

http://www.watchshop.com/mens-citize...p99952664.html
    Last edited by oiljam; 28th July 2016 at 15:05.

I used to have one of those Hamiton khaki quartz...really nice build and nice compact size...a real steal at those Amazon prices although I suspect it maybe the older ETA movement ?. Good call on a Citizen eco drive...I was looking at the Royal Marine versions recently...totally bombproof but it looked too similar to my PMD56 eco drive...(love that one)...I actually scored in the Ernest & Jones sale and got the Citizen RM limited edition diver for £249 (cheapest elsewhere is£399)...its a lovely thing but might be a bit too big at 43mm for some (super light and comfortable though and fantastic build)...anyway, how about a Citizen Argos favourite...millions of good reviews all over the shop, 5 year warranty (+1 if you register online)...great size and all the rest...citizen eco drive...

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/2513306.htm?CMPID=GS001&_$ja=tsid:59156|cid:189934 525|agid:18091996165|tid:pla-98861691925|crid:77627772085|nw:g|rnd:113033648589 44448658|dvc:c|adp:1o1&gclid=CL2C4oC4ls4CFQcz0wodk 3kFZA

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by babyatom View Post
    Hey Spike, that's a lovely looking Pulsar - could you tell me the model number please. I've looked around and can only find one that's similar but has a magnifying bubble over the date (which isn't very nice). Yours is lush!

It's a PAR087X1 which comes with a cyclops on the crystal.
    It's incredibly easy to remove though. A couple of seconds with a cigarette lighter (I used a jet flame type) and the glue goes cloudy and the cyclops easily comes away. A quick polish and the glue residue is gone.

Master
    Hamilton has got the history really so it's their strength and they look nice on. Otherwise Citizen Royal Marine, or perhaps a Marathon?

My favourite is the seiko SUS:

Image courtesy of JCJM's review which can be found here.

Unfortunately, I've never seen one come up for sale. As an alternative, I think Seiko make some very good looking military field watches at great prices:

Just another version of SEIKO SNZG

Quote Originally Posted by workahol View Post
    I'll second this - they are fantastic. Big thumbs up from me. Maybe not the best lume, but otherwise very solid.

Do be careful if you go shopping for a used one on the big auction site, though, as some very good fakes of these watches have started to appear in recent years.
    Oddly a lot of fakes have dial and case combinations that easy to spot as fake.

Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Blog Entries
    Not quite sure what constitutes a field watch, but I've read...

What Makes a Field Watch?
    First and foremost, field watches must be rugged.
    Traditionally, a good field watch would have a stainless steel case though modern versions may feature PVD coatings or titanium construction.
    A field watch must be readable, even under low-light or night conditions. As such, it will have a high-contrast black dial with white numbering.
    The polished gold hour markers that are common on more formal watches can be slow to read in the field and can create undesirable glare under sunlight.
    The bands on field watches were traditionally canvas or leather, since they could easily be swapped out if damaged.
    While metal link bracelets would seem to be the most durable, they are easily scratched and more costly to replace.
    These design features culminated in WWII when the US Army issued contracts for the A-11 followed in the early 1950s by the A-17 watch patterns.
    These two designs, manufactured by Waltham, Bulova and Elgin, solidified the look of the field watch, which has perpetuated to this day.

Based on that I'd say this isn't a bad call...

z
    Last edited by zelig; 28th July 2016 at 22:34.