closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Grand Seiko or Tudor?

Journeyman
    I own a few GS and think the world of them. That would be my choice although this particular model isn't a favourite.

Master
    Of all the GS I have owned (and there have been a few!), the SBGE001 was the most striking of them all. Almost too much so for my taste but there is no denying that in the flesh it is a stunning watch. The bezel is lovely and changes appearance depending on the light often looking silvery grey. I dont have any pictures of it on my wrist but it is not overly big and not as big as people are suggesting from yonsson's pictures.

Ok, big apology hands up I am wrong

I just posted the comment as they were both options and I couldn't understand why you would go for a watch with not as a good movement and I fully admit my message sounded dreadful.

I am still learning about everything and will be very careful how I post in future

Quote Originally Posted by J9bling View Post
    Ok, big apology hands up I am wrong

I just posted the comment as they were both options and I couldn't understand why you would go for a watch with not as a good movement and I fully admit my message sounded dreadful.

I am still learning about everything and will be very careful how I post in future
    Kudos for owning up.
    Don't worry- all opinions ( even uninformed/misinformed) as long as not colored by
    malice or prejudices or agendas

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mark.wilo13 View Post
    I thought I should give you all a quick update. I decided against the Grand Seiko in the end as I tried on the steel version and found it a bit big for my girlie wrist. Also the fact that I wasn't able to see it in person before spending that amount of money was another negative.
    I forgot to ask you before: Where in the USA did you see the SBGE015?

Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    I forgot to ask you before: Where in the USA did you see the SBGE015?
    Timeless Luxury in America. Send them an email it your interested. I found the owner Dan very good to deal with and they have a lot of models you cannot get elsewhere as they are a Seiko Boutique. Another option is to speak to Solojapan on eBay, who are a Seiko AD that I believe are based in Spain.

The Sbgx089 I ordered has finally cleared customs, I have paid the necessary fees and will be delivered on Wednesday. Pics to follow!

Blog Entries
    Timeless Luxury in America. Send them an email it your interested. I found the owner Dan very good to deal with and they have a lot of models you cannot get elsewhere as they are a Seiko Boutique. Another option is to speak to Solojapan on eBay, who are a Seiko AD that I believe are based in Spain.
    Many thanks.

Journeyman
    I would go for the GS over the Tudor, although I prefer their HiBeat GMT line to the divers

Journeyman
    50 Fathoms-esque bezel is nice on the GS but the price is a fair wack more for something that looks a bit confused to me.

The Pelagos or new Black Bay with I think a larger size?

Master
    My GS quartz diver watch, sbgx 117, is just about easing its way out of customs, where it has been for eleven days. Parcelforce has given me a weirdly low charge, but I shan't complain. Assuming it ever gets to my door. After a while it feels like a sort of 'mythical' watch which exists only in the mind.
    GSs tend to look nicer in reality than in the photos, so I am optimistic about the bezel, and size. My current GS quartz has never put a foot wrong.
    Anyway, on Thursday I collect my new mechanical watch....quite a contrast, and yes, it's a Rolex. The idea is to have one mechanical and one quartz watch. Wonder how long that lasts.....
    Last edited by paskinner; 20th April 2016 at 20:18.

i love grand seiko but go for the tudors . pelages , heritage chromo blue or black bay are all cool

Quote Originally Posted by Nickshangs View Post
    i love grand seiko but go for the tudors . pelages , heritage chromo blue or black bay are all cool
    I called my AD but he said they didn't have anything called Pelages or Heritage Chromo.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    I called my AD but he said they didn't have anything called Pelages or Heritage Chromo.
    Let me know if you are in the market for a Chromo. I might be able to dig one up.

Banned

Cool

Wow, seriously? Must be TWO of my favourite brands. I've been eyeing teh 79220N not the 79230N (as I think the new one's called) for a while now... hell why not go for the in-house!

But I must confess, GS is one of my top brands, and it's not caprice. Seiko make some excpetional F#$%^&*() watches.

I woulda said, off the cuff, go for the BB. But after seeing THAT GS... it looks amazing.

I know I am a bad fan – but I've only had my eye on a select few GS models, and they were enough to convince me of the brand as a top-notch brand.

Anyway. Go GS.

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    How about the black bay , got my spelling right there at least 😜

Quote Originally Posted by Nickshangs View Post
    How about the black bay , got my spelling right there at least 
    👍👍

The Sbgx089 I ordered has finally cleared customs.............
    I played with the 089 in a shop and it was a piece of heavy metal, not the usual GS case you would expect and I would say it is in par with the DeepC from R

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by seikomatic View Post
    I played with the 089 in a shop and it was a piece of heavy metal, not the usual GS case you would expect and I would say it is in par with the DeepC from R
    The cases for the Grand Seiko range vary in size and weight like any other range; so the 37mm 'dress' ranges are quite slim, although every bit as tough as, say, an Explorer. Get to the diver range and you have some seriously heavy, chunky, watches. And sizes vary from 37mm to over 46mm. They have a far greater range of options for the mechanisms , quartz, spring-drive, mechanical, hi beat.
    Add that lot together and you have plenty of choice ; off-hand I can't think of any model in the Rolex range that GS can't offer; oddly enough, the only exception might be the Deep C, because I think GS depth doesn't go below 200 metres, less than some standard Seiko models.
    But then neither do people who are alive to wear a watch.
    Having said that, I'm never quite sure whether the two companies are really rivals...Japanese and Swiss/German watches probably attract rather different buyers . Hard to know really.
    Last edited by paskinner; 29th April 2016 at 07:31.

The best option when faced with the OP's dilemma is to go to Paris and visit the Seiko Boutique. The service is excellent, the stock is pristine, there's all the newest diver's watches and the full range of Grand Seiko plus some distinctly JDM-looking oddities.

Tudor are everywhere in Paris and it's easy to do the comparison between the brands.

Around the corner from the Seiko Boutique is the excellent and much celebrated Café de Flore where you can have a superlative snack and coffee while you do the man maths before the inevitable purchase.

The cost of the flight might be negated by the saving you could make on not paying the potential VAT bill if buying from outside the EU.

The only downside to this plan is if you've your heart on a particular model and they haven't got it in stock, though the chances are that they'll be something else or similar for the purpose of comparison. In any event, if you're a Seiko fan you can try on dozens of watches that we just don't see in the UK and whether you feel good, bad or just indifferent about them, you'll save £££ on future purchases by not buying blind and then flipping potential numerous forum darlings and 'watches of the week'.

Edit: the sbgx089 didn't appear to be there when I visited yesterday though
    Last edited by AKM; 1st May 2016 at 18:37.

Grand Seiko would be my choice.

Journeyman
    At this price point I'd go for Tudor. It will keep its value much longer then Seiko

OP: Guys, I have already bought the Sbgx089 Grand Seiko . I will get around to posting some pics shortly.

Mark Williams on IPhone Taptalk

Master
    Well done; excellent choice. No-one ever regretted buying a quartz Grand Seiko. It's probably the most hassle free watch you can ever chose. And the subtle, almost hidden quality is a quiet delight.

Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    Add that lot together and you have plenty of choice ; off-hand I can't think of any model in the Rolex range that GS can't offer; oddly enough, the only exception might be the Deep C, because I think GS depth doesn't go below 200 metres, less than some standard Seiko models.
    Not long ago someone posted a video of a test showing Seiko's 1000m Tuna functioning beyond 4000m. Seiko are, perhaps, overly conservative about such things so the advertised rating isn't a great indication of the watches capacity.
    Last edited by bedlam; 3rd May 2016 at 10:53.

Quote Originally Posted by iamvice View Post
    Wow, seriously? Must be TWO of my favourite brands. I've been eyeing teh 79220N not the 79230N (as I think the new one's called) for a while now... hell why not go for the in-house!

But I must confess, GS is one of my top brands, and it's not caprice. Seiko make some excpetional F#$%^&*() watches.

I woulda said, off the cuff, go for the BB. But after seeing THAT GS... it looks amazing.

I know I am a bad fan – but I've only had my eye on a select few GS models, and they were enough to convince me of the brand as a top-notch brand.

Anyway. Go GS.
    Cool story bro'

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bedlam View Post
    Not long ago someone posted a video of a test showing Seiko's 1000m Tuna functioning beyond 4000m. Seiko are, perhaps, overly conservative about such things so the advertised rating isn't a great indication of the watches capacity.
    Along similar lines I recall Bremont treated their suoermarine rated to 500m and it failed just after 1400m so not a true indicator of capability. 4000m is silly but then again its nothing compared to the Sinn ux ezm 2 which I think has a case rated to 12000m even if the movement only manages 5000m. I think my max to date is 12m and that seemed plenty ;).

Master
    The one thing we can be sure about is that none of us is ever going to test the depth ratings of any of these watches. Many very ordinary watches..say a nice Day-Just...are more than waterproof enough. And the 37mm Grand Seiko dress watches are rated for 100 metres.
    The silly thing is that I never let my diver watch get wet! It just seems 'wrong' somehow.

Quote Originally Posted by deepreddave View Post
    Along similar lines I recall Bremont treated their suoermarine rated to 500m and it failed just after 1400m so not a true indicator of capability.
    Yes, it's probably difficult to design a watch which fails at exactly 501m. But more to the point, out of 100 samples, they would all fail at different depths, and the sensible manufacturer would rate the watch at a depth which something like 99% of the samples survived. (I don't know if they really do that, but it seems logical.)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bitfield View Post
    Yes, it's probably difficult to design a watch which fails at exactly 501m. But more to the point, out of 100 samples, they would all fail at different depths, and the sensible manufacturer would rate the watch at a depth which something like 99% of the samples survived. (I don't know if they really do that, but it seems logical.)
    I think the 3 Bremonts all failed at 1400-1550m but as already mentioned it's theoretical rather than practical 99.99% of the time. I get my Gshock and a cheaper 300m rated diver wet but not my other watches simply because I don't need to risk an expensive repair should they ever fail. To keep on topic that includes a sbgx061 :).

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by deepreddave View Post
    I think the 3 Bremonts all failed at 1400-1550m but as already mentioned it's theoretical rather than practical 99.99% of the time. I get my Gshock and a cheaper 300m rated diver wet but not my other watches simply because I don't need to risk an expensive repair should they ever fail. To keep on topic that includes a sbgx061 :).
    I just gave my GS sbgx061 (what a mouthful) to my nephew, who has begun to appreciate watches but has a wife and kids to house and feed. That watch is rated at 300 ft but seems to have a pretty normal crown. I just wonder if you can keep out water for very long with such an arrangement. Seiko clearly think so, but I wouldn't want to find out. I replaced the 061 with the quartz diver, sbgx 117, which has a much heftier looking arrangement for the crown. I appreciate the rugged build quality and very clear dial rather than the ability to sit at the bottom of the sea.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Binsull View Post
    Of all the GS I have owned (and there have been a few!), the SBGE001 was the most striking of them all. Almost too much so for my taste but there is no denying that in the flesh it is a stunning watch. The bezel is lovely and changes appearance depending on the light often looking silvery grey. I dont have any pictures of it on my wrist but it is not overly big and not as big as people are suggesting from yonsson's pictures.

I fell in love with the SBGA011. The SBGE001 is amazing, I am fascinated by that bezel. Once I have acquired the monetary power to purchase this beauty I promise you guys I will. If you feel like donating to this worthy cause, I don't mind. I'll take care of this watch with UTMOST pride. Mind you, I am a great receptacle for all types of currency.

Adios amigos!

But if an update: I received the SBGX089 a few weeks ago from Japan but this was my first time wearing it after the half links I ordered finally arrived from Japan. I think I made the right choice in the end.

^^^ love the case shape on that one

Blog Entries
    ^^^ Congratulations. It's frustrating when you can't wear a new watch because the bracelet isn't quite right. Must be good to get it on the wrist at last.

Looks smart, it's a very distinctive case and I'm loving the lume shot.

Just curious about the half links -
    did it only come with one half link? Some bracelets come with two though I'm not familiar with this model. Who did you use to supply the extra links? Spare parts aren't easy to come by in the UK and I'm interested in getting a bracelet for my spring drive, which in it's dark dial variant, wasn't available with one.

Sent from my XT1562 using Tapatalk

It did come with two half links but one of them was slightly bent (second hand watch). I bought the half links from Omicron watches in Japan. Give them an email, I highly recommend them. Seiko Uk said they didn't have the half links available as its not a Uk stocked watch and were requesting I send the watch to them. They were not particularly helpful.

Blog Entries
    Seiko Uk said they didn't have the half links available as its not a Uk stocked watch and were requesting I send the watch to them. They were not particularly helpful.
    I can never understand why very large, international companies, especially ones selling luxury items, seem perplexed when they have international customers.
    Last edited by markrlondon; 22nd May 2016 at 19:22.

It did come with two half links but one of them was slightly bent (second hand watch). I bought the half links from Omicron watches in Japan. Give them an email, I highly recommend them. Seiko Uk said they didn't have the half links available as its not a Uk stocked watch and were requesting I send the watch to them. They were not particularly helpful.

Cheers for the recommendation Mark. I've heard Seiko UK can be very hit and miss with some people being able to get bracelet links without trouble and others being turned away. I don't know whether it has anything to do with which market the watches are intended for.

Sent from my XT1562 using Tapatalk

Master
    Grand Seikos are just amazing watches... Would take them over any Rolex any time!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ar.parask View Post
    Grand Seikos are just amazing watches... Would take them over any Rolex any time!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I own and use both; I put them in the same category for quality. With the mechanical watches the key Rolex virtue is better access to servicing and higher second-hand prices.
    I like the quartz versions of the GS line; the 9F motor is pretty special. It's a shame that not all the models get to the UK. The quartz diver watches (SBGX 11 and 117) are great watches, but you have to order them direct from Japan. Which does have the merit of being cheaper.
    So, for me, Rolex mechanical watches, Grand Seiko quartz.

Journeyman
    Tough call. Its a win win in my book. I guess go with the one you need most in your collection. Diver or GMT.