closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Value of a bi-metal Rolex submariner

Craftsman

Value of a bi-metal Rolex submariner

I've just got back from a great few days with my dad up in sunny Scotland - on the way back he asked if I could sell his watch for him as he knows I like watches. He said he asked at the local jewellers and they offered him less than he thought it was worth - and knowing what they are advertised for on chronomaster I'm inclined to agree (even allowing for a sensible profit margin).

He's worn it for a good few years so it would probably need s service and has quite a few minor scratches. It isn't knackered though. I just don't think he needs it anymore for his retirement to rural Scotland and sees it as a waste sitting in a box.

Can anybody give me an idea of what a 2005 bi-metal Rolex submariner with a blue dial would realistically sell for? It's got the full set (papers, boxes, tags, booklets, all links I think (13) and the anchor).

Craftsman
    Yes - that's the one.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by maxf View Post
    Yes - that's the one.
    So about £5k then

Quote Originally Posted by uktotty View Post
    So about £5k then
    On chrono24 prices for 16613 start at £4k

http://www.chrono24.co.uk/search/ind...=1&sortorder=1

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    On chrono24 prices for 16613 start at £4k

http://www.chrono24.co.uk/search/ind...=1&sortorder=1
    Indeed, and from a dealer with warranty.

What was he offered?

Craftsman
    Does it make much difference that the £4k ones are in the US? Import duty and boring things like that could push the cost up to £5k

But £5k sounds too high to me - the cheapest in the Uk on chrono24 is £4600 for a 1998/99 with no papers. The cheapest one of a similar age is £5800 with no papers.

I just want to do right by the old man and not get stitched up in the process - but I also appreciate I wouldn't get him a dealers price - nor would I want the hassle of trying to for months.

Master
    So what was he offered?
    The link i posted was for a 2005 and not a 1994

Craftsman
    So what was he offered?
    The link i posted was for a 2005 and not a 1994
    Your link didn't work then as it just showed a list of them - mostly in the US.

I'll say what he was offered later.

Master

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rolex-Subm...-/182035552913

Try again

Craftsman
    Apologies - that link did work. But it's eBay and in the USA. 20% import duty and for all I know a completely different market - also it isn't sold so could be a complete fishing exercise and not a realistic price at all.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

Why? I don't understand the secrecy.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ben4watches View Post
    Why? I don't understand the secrecy.
    I'd like an idea of what it's worth rather than get into whether this offer was low or justified or whatever. Uncoloured opinion if you will.

I'll probably end up putting it on sales corner and don't want to be that pedro putting something on for 50% more than it's worth too - hence asking for an opinion on value.
    Last edited by maxf; 20th March 2016 at 13:55.

SC rules state that you can only sell watches that belong to you, not 3rd parties.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Wexford View Post
    SC rules state that you can only sell watches that belong to you, not 3rd parties.
    Seriously? It's my dads - it's in my house in London. I guess that rule is to stop people dealing/brokering/flipping rather than selling something for their retired father which is in their possession.
    Last edited by maxf; 20th March 2016 at 14:19.

Does it make much difference that the £4k ones are in the US? Import duty and boring things like that could push the cost up to £5k

But £5k sounds too high to me - the cheapest in the Uk on chrono24 is £4600 for a 1998/99 with no papers. The cheapest one of a similar age is £5800 with no papers.

I just want to do right by the old man and not get stitched up in the process - but I also appreciate I wouldn't get him a dealers price - nor would I want the hassle of trying to for months.

As witnessed by the fact that the watches do not sell, the prices on Chrono24 are too high. These are offering prices, you need to know where transaction prices are. I suppose for a private sale you'd be happy to get 4k, probably less. Some have sold below 4k on SC, or just above that but with recent service.

Let me guess the dealer offered you 3.5k. They would service the watch, tidy and lightly polish it (£500) and then put it up for sale at close to 4.8k, only to be happy to sell it for 4.5k. So they will stand to make £500 or so. Alternatively you could sell it for let's say 3.8k and make about £300 more for your dad (all figures give or take £200). You might even get 4k on eBay.

Blog Entries
    I would think you would achieve more , I looked at a 2004 in a dealers the other week at £5900.
    allowing for the service I would think about 4500- 4800 for a private sale

Craftsman
    Around £4000 for a private sale give or take £250. They may be £5500 at dealers but they will service them, offer a 12 month warranty and probably not achieve this advertised price as most will chip 10% anyway etc.

Unsure why you won't post what the dealer offered?

Craftsman
    Dealer offered £2500. Thanks for the input everybody. Shame I'm not allowed to sell it here - but I'm in touch with a few dealers now with a bit more of a steer on prices. Thanks all.

Dealer offered £2500. Thanks for the input everybody. Shame I'm not allowed to sell it here - but I'm in touch with a few dealers now with a bit more of a steer on prices. Thanks all.
    Are you tempted to have the servicing and prettifying done before you sell?

Blog Entries
    You could buy it off your Dad - then sell it here?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    Are you tempted to have the servicing and prettifying done before you sell?
    Probably not to be honest - my sub took about 8 weeks to be serviced at Rolex and I'm not sure it would be worth the cost of it's going to a dealer anyway, as they would probably have a cheaper way of doing it themselves.

I did think about taking a link out and seeing if I fancied it for a bit, but I'm really not a gold kind of guy. I still may do this if the bids are super low - I'd sooner have it!

Master
    Seriously? It's my dads - it's in my house in London. I guess that rule is to stop people dealing/brokering/flipping rather than selling something for their retired father which is in their possession.

Hahahah do not worry. Yours/ your fathers same thing if he was to get flattened by a bus. Just say its yours in future!

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    You could buy it off your Dad - then sell it here?
    What is understandably not allowed is to sell something here as agent for someone else. But there are several ways in which the OP in a family situation like this could obtain title to the watch so that selling it here would not be contrary to Eddie's rules or the spirit of the forum.

Don't sweat it mate, people sell their Wives/GFs used goods here all the time and no one bats an eyelid.

Sell it here without qualms.
    I doubt if Eddie will have objections.

Probably not to be honest - my sub took about 8 weeks to be serviced at Rolex and I'm not sure it would be worth the cost of it's going to a dealer anyway, as they would probably have a cheaper way of doing it themselves.

I did think about taking a link out and seeing if I fancied it for a bit, but I'm really not a gold kind of guy. I still may do this if the bids are super low - I'd sooner have it!
    Try putting it (no the watch) on a black rubber strap, you'll be surprised at the difference.

Master
    Nice examples of the 16613 used to be everywhere but nobody has a well-priced one for long these days. A late one like this I would expect (as a dealer) to sell in a matter of days for just over £5k, provided that the glass were perfect, bezel insert as new and bracelet tight.

I could not bring myself to ask £5,500+ for one. Some dealers will always try, especially if there is so little stock around.

I would be patient as a buyer, for in truth they are watches out there --- they simply sell very quickly when someone does have one that is fairly priced. Some of the less discriminating dealers are charging the same money for older models. Ideally I would suggest a later 16613 T (solid lugs) with 93253 Oyster Fliplock, denoting the solid end links and yellow metal running through the clasp.

Haywood

Craftsman
    Mate, I'd buy it off you in a heart beat at £3.8k

Journeyman
    Ahhhhh the famous dealer quote "Rolex hold their value", until you trade in and they give you a cheeky insulting low offer! I wouldn't sell mine purely for that reason. Best of luck with the sale.

They would be making 100% on it then !!!!!

A Rolex service would be about £450+, but it would come back looking like new and 2 years Rolex warranty. This makes private sales much easier.

Master
    Breaking news! All dealers are NOT the same!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 329gav View Post
    Ahhhhh the famous dealer quote "Rolex hold their value", until you trade in and they give you a cheeky insulting low offer! I wouldn't sell mine purely for that reason. Best of luck with the sale.
    Next time a dealer gives you that "Rolex hold their value" line, ask them for a written guarantee that they will pay you the same amount as you purchased the watch for, whenever you feel like selling it. They will not put their money where their mouth is, will they?

He ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWwQZ3VM32I ) wanted a "fair trade" from a dealer to "change" his Rolex. Guess what happened. One dealer would not touch his used Rolex with a 10 foot pole and another one offered half of what he payed 8 months ago. So much for holding it's value...

Quote Originally Posted by Geneve View Post
    They would be making 100% on it then !!!!
    'Making' is not necessarily net profit.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Quote Originally Posted by GrandS View Post
    He ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWwQZ3VM32I ) wanted a "fair trade" from a dealer to "change" his Rolex. Guess what happened. One dealer would not touch his used Rolex with a 10 foot pole and another one offered half of what he payed 8 months ago. So much for holding it's value...
    To be fair it's entirely possible the dealers wanted this bellend out of their shops as quickly as possible. I was ready to put my fist through the screen within the first minute.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by draftsmann View Post
    To be fair it's entirely possible the dealers wanted this bellend out of their shops as quickly as possible. I was ready to put my fist through the screen within the first minute.
    You have a point there. If real bellend overload is what you are after, then feast on this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRsHzTO6iOM

He paid full retail for a Rolex and all he got was a teabag, see 19:30.
    Last edited by GrandS; 21st March 2016 at 08:45.

Who is the guy off the first video? What a clown

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Geneve View Post
    They would be making 100% on it then !!!!!

A Rolex service would be about £450+, but it would come back looking like new and 2 years Rolex warranty. This makes private sales much easier.
    Don't be too hard on the dealer. He is in rural Scotland, so I guess the dealer would be too and therefore probably not be selling bi-metal Rolex every other day, hence didn't want much in it - I'd be the same. However, I live in central London so have a little more choice of sales avenues who might be more willing to make a bit less - hence me selling it for him now.

Journeyman
    "Bellend" still laughing after reading this minute ago!!

Banned
    Don't be too hard on the dealer. He is in rural Scotland, so I guess the dealer would be too and therefore probably not be selling bi-metal Rolex every other day, hence didn't want much in it - I'd be the same. However, I live in central London so have a little more choice of sales avenues who might be more willing to make a bit less - hence me selling it for him now.
    Rural Scotland, eh? That explains it. I suppose they doont have the internet there and the roads are closed 6 months a year due to heavy snow....