closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Major Internet Problems

Grand Master

Major Internet Problems

Hi,

Is anyone else having trouble logging/accessing any .co.uk internet sites? At the moment I cannot access: BBC, Yahoo, eBay, etc., this was all working fine about 20 minutes ago! Can someone else try for me, thanks.

/vince ..
    /vince ..

Master
    All OK for me from Pipex.

But a couple of weeks ago I lost my internet for 2 days for no reason that I have been able to ascertain.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrzej
    All OK for me from Pipex.

But a couple of weeks ago I lost my internet for 2 days for no reason that I have been able to ascertain.
    Thanks, the funny thing is I can access certain sites, but no email provider (yahoo or hotmail) & several others as well! I cannot even ping them. A short time ago I lost TZ-UK, rebooted and it was back, now it's others I cannot access & it's driving me mad as I cannot work out why ..
    /vince ..

Everything is fine on AOL. I don't use their Fisher Price front-end but the broadband service is excellent. No downtime I can remember.

Occasionally Firefox will tell me that it can't find Google, BBC, Timesonline and other sites that should be there but 15 minutes later there's no problem. Despite its youth, I'm sure the Internet is already creaking and groaning.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne
    Occasionally Firefox will tell me that it can't find Google, BBC, Timesonline and other sites that should be there but 15 minutes later there's no problem. Despite its youth, I'm sure the Internet is already creaking and groaning.
    Thanks for that, never even though of that! I do use Firefox so perhaps this is the mysterious reason ..
    /vince ..

Grand Master

Eddie
    I find it does the same for me from time to time. Things slow down to dialup speeds for no good reason, then are back to normal a few minutes later - despite being on an 8MB BT Broadband line...

Ming

Eddie
    It's not just Firfox, I get the same with Safari.

Coincidentally, I was having problems yesterday; my speed had dropped from 3.something Mb to 320 kbps. To cut a loooooong story short, after lots of tests my IT people finally admitted defeat and commented 'this is happening more and more on Broadband & there's nothing we can do about it'.

R
    (Working fine this am - just as well as I'm sending dozens of 10+Mb images!)
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Thomas Reid
    Quote Originally Posted by ralphy

Eddie
    It's not just Firfox, I get the same with Safari.

Coincidentally, I was having problems yesterday; my speed had dropped from 3.something Mb to 320 kbps. To cut a loooooong story short, after lots of tests my IT people finally admitted defeat and commented 'this is happening more and more on Broadband & there's nothing we can do about it'.

R
    (Working fine this am - just as well as I'm sending dozens of 10+Mb images!)
    It could well be the contention number (the number of people contending for the bandwidth or sharing the line). If everyone with access to it uses it at the same time, things are going to slow down substantially. (It is like over suscription. To get full use of a resource, you might have to over subscribe it. But, if everyone decides to use it as the same time, ....) The contention ratio for most home users/accounts in the UK is 50:1, for business 20:1.

If society changes, and folks start using the internet more, and sending larger files (like dozens of 10+Mb images), then the contention ratios developed for lower use networks just aren't going to fly anymore (nor is the data).

Best wishes,
    Bob

This is why BT is spending £9m (more than Labour spends on the roads) building its 21CN or "21st Century Network". The first customers in Cardiff have already been migrated to it, and the roll-out schedule should have all all BT customers switched over by the end of 2009.

Yet in Japan i am told. They enjoy domestic speeds of up to 20 mb !! And most dont even think about a "Slow" internet. The Uk has again ripped us off. Our mobile phone service is a joke and the internet not much better

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by London Luke
    Yet in Japan i am told. They enjoy domestic speeds of up to 20 mb !! And most dont even think about a "Slow" internet. The Uk has again ripped us off. Our mobile phone service is a joke and the internet not much better
    They're testing 4G mobile data up to 100mbps also...

Ming

Journeyman
    After watching the Gadget Show this weekend, they were saying the same thing about how we in the UK are being ripped off with Broadband Speeds.
    In fact on their web-site there is a page for testing your own speeds.
    My 8mb BT Broadband is actually only running at 2.1

:evil:

Journeyman

Journeyman
    ...and now I've just done it again, and download speeds running at 4.8 mbs!!

I guess it depends on how many are on and using it at any particular time.

Steve :?

Thanks for that Steve.

My 8 MBS was running at 4.

I suppose it is all down to usage. :?
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Seamaster73
    Have you tried this? I am on BT Broadband and have had my PC on OpenDNS servers for ages - no problems. Over the weekend the other four PCs in the house all had browsing problems - they were set to BTs DNS servers. A change of the DNS settings on the other PCs sorted it out.

You might want to try http://www.speedtest.net - the Channel 5 one isn't that accurate.

I've just tried it at work (where I've got a VERY fast connection and it said 5MBit whereas speedtest.net said 30MBit)

Cheers,

http://myspeed.visualware.com/

This is the speed upload/download test site that my IT bods use, apparantly it's got better diagnostics FWIW.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

The one that Ralphy put up is good too - it does give a lot of extra info (but be sure to pick a server nearby).

Cheers,