closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: All is not lost - Tudor Black Bay Heritage 36

All is not lost - Tudor Black Bay Heritage 36

36mm

Craftsman
    It's not bad but to me it's a little plain.

I think the size is right though.

I think that is petty nice actually - I know these things are very personal, but what I have trouble with is the shape of the minute hand - given the circular luminescent 5-miniute markers, I think this be a real winner if instead of the square/triangle towards the end of the minute hand there were a solid circle (cf. the 'lollipop hand' on some vintage watches) ....

Master
    Tudor’s starting to make ladies watches now?

Craftsman
    .. be very interesting to see that one side by side with a 114270/14270 Explorer ... it looks like it has upsized indices and a fairly hefty bezel.. love the idea of 36mm, though.

(Pity they didn't put their in house movement in it, though)..

al

Master
    Nice one.

I prefer sub 40mm, which is why I tend to buy vintage watches (I had a lovely tissot visodate but let it go as it just felt to big at 40mm for me especially for a dress watch - 36mm and it would have been spot on). So at 36mm I would have that over a larger version. Nothing wrong with the styling for me either though I might have asked them to make the snowflake a tad smaller.

Banned
    Nice, but to small and not as nice as my Ranger.

Master
    A Black Bay has a bezel :-s I wonder how thick this is. Too tall and it could be a bit like a barrel.

I'll wait till they do this in a 39mm. Gazing into my imaginary crystal ball I reckon that will be around 2018.

I agree with W44NNE that too tall would make it look daft, but other than that, its a nice-looking thing that, given its lack of complication, doesn't really need to be any bigger.
    lt certainly looks perfectly legible.

Craftsman
    It looks nice a clean, simply design, certainly the opposite to the Black Bay Bronze. I think I'd pick the North Flag over this model though.

Nice clean dial and an excellent size

If only it had a quartz movement

Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post

If only it had a quartz movement
    I wonder what the reaction would have been if that happened?

That's interesting, but because it (presumably) uses the same hands as the Pelagos/Black Bay, they completely dominate the watch and the balance is lost.

Nice try, though - would like to see one in the flesh. Bet it's not too expensive...

Quote Originally Posted by sean View Post
    I wonder what the reaction would have been if that happened?
    I suspect that the great and the good would doubt whether they were being serious

Yes, you're probably right.

And they'd have to set about reeducating their customers on the merits of quartz and explaining why they should stump up the cash for one, without undermining decades of marketing-spend promoting the idea that mechanical is worth a premium.

And don't call me Shirley. :)

Master
    I see it's caught the heritage crown disease.
    Pretty good otherwise though I'd have suggested 38-39mm if they'd bothered to ask me.

I think 39mm would be a great size for this but that would be getting too close to Explorer territory.

Imho the dial looks a touch too small for the case in this 36mm example.

The familiar design looks bizarre without a bezel.

I would prefer the north flag - but still, I guess it gives people options.

Craftsman
    Quite like that, although the Crown is somewhat large for an auto.

Dave

I like it. Would be interested to see it on a bracelet and from a side view.

Craftsman
    I really like it now in the wrist photo. I thought it looked really dull before.

Really like the look of that, I loved the look and feel of the Black Bay Blue (and Black) but they were just too chunky for me.

It's the best release so far and is on the maybe list for this year now. The proportions look really good to my eye.

it would be nice without that kind of .... crown

Master
    I sort of wonder about the crown too, but I think this looks very promising. It's the only new watch--the new 36mm IWC Pilot included--in a long time I'm really interested in. Can't wait to try one on.

Quote Originally Posted by W44NNE View Post
    A Black Bay has a bezel :-s I wonder how thick this is. Too tall and it could be a bit like a barrel.
    Hodinkee are saying it's 10.25mm thick.

I think it looks great, particularly on the bracelet.

Quote Originally Posted by Keyser View Post
    I really like it now in the wrist photo. I thought it looked really dull before.
    Same here. The bracelet also changes the look. I look forward to seeing this one.
    Last edited by Mr Tetley; 16th March 2016 at 23:26.

I'm really liking the look of it on that bracelet and glad to see them doing a 36mm.

The size is good.
    The hands are too intrusive, and the dial is too "maxi"

D

Will be interesting to see once this has been out a while what the prices on these will be at grey dealers. Shame it doesn't have the in-house movement - guessing they will save that for a couple of years as seems to be the fashion with Tudor

I think I would have preferred it at 38mm for that case design, the flat sided case - just like its larger bezelled brother - looks a bit chunky. I suppose that they wouldn't have chosen a scalloped case though as it would remove it even further from the BB lineage as well as tread on the toes of the Explorer.

Would be good to see it in the steel though, so to speak.

Journeyman
    Anyone knows the release date?
    For me it's a must have on bracelet.

Allan

Really liking the look of this. Can't wait to see it in my AD

Master
    The more I look at this the more I like it - in spite of the 'heritage' name there's something quite fresh, modern and fun about the whole package, but with a classic edge and a bit of history to the design. It would be interesting to compare side by side with the recent IWC pilot 36.

Does the fact that a 2824 is going into this BB mean that Swatch are still supplying movements to other makers or will Tudor be using up remaining stock of ETA movements?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Keyser View Post
    My sentiments.

Master
    Worth resurrecting this thread for some good video of the watch, towards the end of this clip after the standard black bays, around 53" on. Up till now it's been hard to say exactly how it will look, and to appreciate how the form and finish works in practice. But based on this it's a cracker, even without the bracelet option. Certainly a candidate for surprise hit of the show.

http://youtu.be/p58G7oqcj8U

Really like the look of that.

Shame the video suddenly speeds up just as it's about to show how thick it is

Master
    It's a really nice watch and the one I liked most (realistic watches) from what I've seen at Basel world...

It's not thick, I would say 10-12mm & has a nice curve to the case. The oyster bracelet pivots on the spring bar (like the new PO)...which always brings about increased articulation & thus comfort.

I dont like that useless black ring on the crown tube. But that's about it, I am really considering going for one. It would be my only watch without a bezel in my modest all dive watch collection, but that's how much I like it. I have a few photos of it on my camera for sure...

Having read some of Hodinkee and Monochrome blogs on this, it's really growing on me. Think my initial negativity was misplaced. Thinking of getting one

Journeyman

Anyone know when this badboy is likely to make it to the shops? I think it looks fantastic - might hold out on my explorer purchase until I've had a chance to handle one ...
    Last edited by RG1825; 19th April 2016 at 19:55.

Master
    It looks great but it is going to wear just a little small for most people nowadays isn't it? 38-39mm would have been a better step down at this point with 36mm next if the idea of reduced size proved successful. Sure it will sell to some and probably more popular with the ladies but can't help but think Tudor have slightly misjudged what could have been a bigger seller at a few mm larger.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by deepreddave View Post
    It looks great but it is going to wear just a little small for most people nowadays isn't it? 38-39mm would have been a better step down at this point with 36mm next if the idea of reduced size proved successful. Sure it will sell to some and probably more popular with the ladies but can't help but think Tudor have slightly misjudged what could have been a bigger seller at a few mm larger.

If you think about it, Rolex have the 39mm explorer so it would be an overlap. Whereas the 36mm explorer has been discontinued. I think this fills the gap perfectly to be honest. Also the big watch trend can always reverse when fashions change! I still enjoy wearing my 34mm 1950s IWC from time to time!

Craftsman
    My DJ one is 35 mm and wears perfectly so this will be ideal. I wish blancpain made their fifty Fathoms in a smaller size for cocktail stick wrists like mine. Really looking forward to seeing this and the new "girls'" 😀 Iwc pilot and green alligator panerai as they are likely to suit me, and also date much better, which given the high price points is definitely a consideration ; we're not buying some flared jeans here!

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RG1825 View Post
    If you think about it, Rolex have the 39mm explorer so it would be an overlap. Whereas the 36mm explorer has been discontinued. I think this fills the gap perfectly to be honest.
    I can see the logic but my point was simply that it would sell more if slightly larger. My Longines Conquest at 35mm is my smallest watch, wears as well as any of my watches but I wouldn't produce it expecting similar sales levels to if it were slightly larger.