closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Belts

Journeyman

Belts

Hello, following on from the denim thread, where the merits of "high end" denim and jeans has been discussed, I was wondering what belts members wear and why?
    I would imagine that most people who wear a belt dont actually need them to keep their trousers up, but as a fashion accessory. Obviously some will need a belt due to something like weight loss and they like a particular pair of jeans or trousers. But it got me thinking that there are a huge range of belts available, some cheap and some very expensive, so what do you wear and why? What makes you buy a certain brand? Is it quality, fit, value for money?
    You guys who spend up to £300 on a pair of jeans do you just chuck a cheap old belt on with them or go for something equally high end and expensive?

In my opinion a man who goes out without a belt on hasn't finished dressing, so I have a good mix of belts. For anything leather it's worth spending a reasonable sum of money; not hundreds, but you can buy decent quality in the £30-60 price range. These should last a lifetime too.
    I then mix it with a variety of other non-leather belts, which don't need to be expensive at all. I tend to choose these for the colour to match into outfits, match to watch straps, shoes etc etc. I like having things just a little bit coordinated, it takes minimal effort but can lift an ordinary outfit into something a bit better.

Raw denim + 'Tanner Goods' belt.

They are available in their natural (leather) colour and as a result the colour changes beautifully over time. Their wallets are quality too.
    Last edited by dejjl; 11th March 2016 at 09:10.

I wear American clothes so my belts are typically from Coach, Dooney & Bourke, Trafalgar or O'Connells. I usually wear Surcingle but have a few plain leather too, and they're always slim with a brass horseshoe buckle.

Master
    I buy them because they match something or I like that style. The Parma belts work with a lot of casual things and I've paid stupid money for MontBlanc which are a fancy buckle and ordinary calf leather and Berluti (to go with some shoes). You don't need to spend stupid money - it's just a belt. #2 gets it right

Master
    Blog Entries
    There is already an extensive thread with recommendations here:
    http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.php?312991

For casual wear, I quite like a quality leather belt that I can match to the buckle of my choosing. I was recently in Ruthin and came across a small shop where a lady was making all sorts of leather goods - belts, bags, dog collars etc. I bought a belt and my wife commissioned a shoulder bag. Lovely quality and all beautifully hand made.

http://www.hideawayruthin.co.uk/

I've also used Geoff Wood and Tom Stemson who are both excellent leather workers.

Master
    If your trousers / jeans fit you properly you do not need a belt.
    Might don't so I do, a nice italian leather one for smart stuff, no idea how much or where from TBH
    For casual wear a black nylon QuikSilver with one of those fold over clasps, had it for decades

Master
    Andersons are the best belts imo, they seem to have designed one for most occasions and are definitely the best I've found to go with jeans.

Another vote for Tanner Goods....

Quote Originally Posted by nunya View Post
    If your trousers / jeans fit you properly you do not need a belt.
    I've often wondered about this, but is it true?

Maybe I just don't spend enough on clothes (I certainly don't according to some on here - I usually spend less on suits than some suggest is the minimum spend on a belt in the other thread!), but trousers (jeans especially) are either too big around the waist (and need a belt) or too tight over the thighs (but don't).

I guess you can get tailored jeans, but even when I've dabbled with brand name, supposedly good, jeans, the fit's been similar.

M

^
    New denim can loosen up significantly after the first few wearings, so it's sometimes advisable to get something that may initially seem a size too snug in order to achieve a proper final fit. Also, there are often significantly-different cuts available even within a given brand, so you should be able to find something works for you without tailoring.

Belt-wise, as long as the leather is of good quality and there's no visible branding, I'm happy. Bonus points if it's not sweatshop-produced.
    Last edited by Belligero; 11th March 2016 at 13:11.

Another to join the Tanner band wagon, got the 3 colours and taking an age to break in.

Fish

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    I've often wondered about this, but is it true?

Maybe I just don't spend enough on clothes (I certainly don't according to some on here - I usually spend less on suits than some suggest is the minimum spend on a belt in the other thread!), but trousers (jeans especially) are either too big around the waist (and need a belt) or too tight over the thighs (but don't).

I guess you can get tailored jeans, but even when I've dabbled with brand name, supposedly good, jeans, the fit's been similar.

M
    I always wear a belt even if its not needed to hold my trousers up. I think you look half dressed without one.

I had one of these delivered a couple of months ago.
    I was very impressed with the quality with the options and price they are excellent value.
    Delivery was around 2-3 weesk over Christmas so should be quicker this time of year.

http://www.itailorshoes.com/designbelts/

Quote Originally Posted by scrog10 View Post
    I was very impressed with the quality with the options and price they are excellent value.
    Delivery was around 2-3 weesk over Christmas so should be quicker this time of year.

Very interesting, thanks for sharing. I'll be placing an order tonight

Very impressed with this Devon made:

Quote Originally Posted by RobM View Post
    For anything leather it's worth spending a reasonable sum of money; not hundreds, but you can buy decent quality in the £30-60 price range. These should last a lifetime too.
    Anyone got recommendations for a formal black leather belt to wear with a suit for about £80 or less? Thanks in advance.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by scrog10 View Post

What a cool website... Do you have a pick of your belt as would be very interested to see the quality

Ben

Craftsman
    Following linked belt thread linked, I recently bought from Beaver Bush Craft. Excellent service and products.

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyBoy View Post
    Following linked belt thread linked, I recently bought from Beaver Bush Craft. Excellent service and products.
    Oh come on, that's not REALLY a company is it????

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvWfbIe4X_4

M

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    Oh come on, that's not REALLY a company is it????

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvWfbIe4X_4

M
    LOL aka Shark Designs

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Shoughie0 View Post
    Anyone got recommendations for a formal black leather belt to wear with a suit for about £80 or less? Thanks in advance.
    Whilst always trying to avoid wearing a belt with a suit or formal trousers, where essential I find these Paul Smith ones to be the most suitable from an appearance and comfort perspective:
    http://www.paulsmith.co.uk/uk-en/sho...FUmeGwodQMYHYg

They are extremely soft and so suit fine suiting fabrics well, and are well made and durable. Can be found for less than £80 in sales and are widely stocked in online stores.

For all other purposes, Anderson's are best imo.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by jmitch View Post
    There is already an extensive thread with recommendations here:
    http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.php?312991
    Thanks for the link, I never thought to search the forums for Belts!

Master
    I get my belts from Equusleather.co.uk. First class made to measure bridle leather belts. Got five of them and will last me out.

IMO some of the finest belt makers are in the UK. Top pic left to righ Ian Atkinson "Leodis Leatherwork" oak bark. 2 by Geoff Wood in Buffalo. Also 2 oak bark by Terry Dear 6mm thick but fantastically supple when broke in , triple harness stitched.
    Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by Zolawinston View Post
    Andersons are the best belts imo, they seem to have designed one for most occasions and are definitely the best I've found to go with jeans.
    I am a big fan of these too - loads of colours, stretchy and infinitely adjustable - very comfortable.

http://www.matchesfashion.com/produc...d-belt-1030124

Master
    RM Williams ones are really good for jeans etc. Bought one on a whim but have recently added another. I second Paul Smith for formal ones although the coating on the buckle of one of mine is wearing a bit now.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by MB2 View Post
    I am a big fan of these too - loads of colours, stretchy and infinitely adjustable - very comfortable.

http://www.matchesfashion.com/produc...d-belt-1030124
    Agree, Anderson are choice. Thoroughly recommend.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyBoy View Post
    Is that name safe for work? Googling beaver bush may lead me to places I don't wish to go

Just bought 3 from this company based on a recommendation from a friend. Very impressed so far, plus their prices seems very competitive too.

https://www.beltstudio.co.uk